1.23 Released!

The meditation tenet is making my units cost 25% less hammers than they did without it. A neighbor forced a reformation on me to that tenet and the cost of my Heavy Horsemen dropped from 90 hammers to 67. The game says it's supposed to make units 25% slower to build.

The meditation tenet is making my units cost 25% less hammers than they did without it. A neighbor forced a reformation on me to that tenet and the cost of my Heavy Horsemen dropped from 90 hammers to 67. The game says it's supposed to make units 25% slower to build.

Whoops. Will be fixed in 1.23.2, due soon.

New Military Advisor is all finished. Will spend tomorrow reviewing diplomacy attitudes, then 1.23.2 should be ready for upload the day after.

hi xyth,
i follow your wotk for a long time,

and i really like this mod, its bellyful.

happy to see your still on it.

i haven't gotten to play 1.23,

i have a question if i may -

what is this "'Break Endless AI Turn" how did you make it? and does it do what i think it does?

what is this "'Break Endless AI Turn" how did you make it? and does it do what i think it does?

It's a keybinding to escape from those times when the game gets stuck "Waiting for Other Civilizations..." and never passes control back to the player. The problem is caused by a bug in BTS itself, that comes more apparent in big mods. Most common cause seems to be an AI unit that gets stuck endlessly joining and leaving a selection group. Naval units are particularly susceptible to it, and especially those with hidden nationality.

I got the idea from a thread somewhere (RoM: A New Dawn subform maybe? I forget now) and adapted it. What they keybinding does is identify which AI player's turn it is, cycle through all their units and end the turn of any of their units that hasn't moved yet. It's a bit of blunt tool, but better than not being able to continue a game.

Platyping's Worldbuilder (included in HR) has a screen to help identify stuck units and end their turn individually. I use that myself, but it's a tricky process to explain to non-modders. Keybinding much easier.

The code for it is all in CvEventManager.py. 2 sections, just search for 'Break Endless AI Turn'. I've made a few fixes to it for next release (1.23.2) so you might want to wait for that. Planning to upload it tomorrow.

wonderful xyth, truly wonderful.

and thanks for the direction to how to find it.

i appreciate your detailed answer.

by the way - i often thought about paying your mod with dll of kmod by the way.

anyway so do please the work on this mod, civ4 is perfect enough to stick with it.

thanks you my good xyth.

by the way - i often thought about paying your mod with dll of kmod by the way.

Do you know if the Kmod DLL requires XML schema changes like BBAI and such do? Because if it doesn't, I could look into adding it to HR for Windows folk. If it does relies on schema changes I couldn't as it would break Mac compatibility. That's why I can't add Better AI.

hey,

yes, it addes just a few schema changes.

but - how does adding schema affects mac?

The Mac version of BTS doesn't support custom DLLs and schema changes have to have matching code in the DLL. Altering the schema files themselves won't throw errors on Mac (the changes are just ignored), but using the new entries in the corresponding XML files definitely will.

I guess I need to experiment and see if the K-mod DLL will otherwise function without those XML changes. If not, that rules it out as the only option left would be to maintain separate versions of HR for Windows and Mac. And that's way more hassle and effort than I'm willing to take on.

Download

Changes

Civilizations
• Nubia: Blast Furnace (UB) renamed Bloomery

Leaders
• Numerous adjustments to religious and peacetime attitudes
• Many leaders will now capitulate less readily

Tenets
• Meditation: was decreasing instead of increasing unit cost

Units
• Gunship: can no longer flank Mobiles SAMs

Maps
• Earth (Huge): adjustments to some start positions
• Earth (Standard): fixed Mongol start position

Interface
• Military Advisor: fixed, redesigned, and improved

Misc
• Civil War: fixed potential error during rebel civ selection
• Civilopedia: more entries added
• 'Break Endless AI Turn' keybinding should now always work​

good job on the new version.

well - there are very few changes to the schemas in kmod, but,
it only adds 1-2 tags, which can be ignores and not to be used on the schemas, and it will work.

the problem only comes to mind is that kmod,
changes the logic's of an existing tag, in the civics and the buildings, the unhealthyness tag,
the logic is changed, and the tag name is changed as well.
it goes to a percentage system than a numerical in the vanilla code.

but, to over come this, i guess the solution is simple -
youll have to use the original name of the tag, meaning, if kmod named his tag with a new name - youll have to name it as the original one - but the logics, is different, plus,
where you use this tag in your mod - the values will need to be changed to match the new logics, for game balance, cause say you got a building that gives +1 health for every 4 population, now, it will be 4%.
youll have to make some adjustments there for.

so...in my opinion playing with better ai, is a must for civ 4, plus its faster :)
but then again, your mod proves the other wise, that you can have a great mod without a dll.

:)

For me its best and most played mod for civ4 finished 10 time more games than with other mods i liked ;)

Great!

I have a problem with the Infoscreen (inside the Foreign Advisor): it doesn't fits properly. I've had this problem with both versions 1.23.1 and 1.23.2.

And it seems that Jetavanaramaya wonder doesn't pop-up a video.

the problem only comes to mind is that kmod,
changes the logic's of an existing tag, in the civics and the buildings, the unhealthyness tag,
the logic is changed, and the tag name is changed as well.
it goes to a percentage system than a numerical in the vanilla code.

but, to over come this, i guess the solution is simple -
youll have to use the original name of the tag, meaning, if kmod named his tag with a new name - youll have to name it as the original one - but the logics, is different, plus,
where you use this tag in your mod - the values will need to be changed to match the new logics, for game balance, cause say you got a building that gives +1 health for every 4 population, now, it will be 4%.
youll have to make some adjustments there for.

Hmm I didn't realise K-mod changes health to a percentage. I can't adjust all the civic/building/etc health XML values to be percentages because they'll still be treated as integers on Mac. So unfortunately, that rules out merging K-mod :(

so...in my opinion playing with better ai, is a must for civ 4, plus its faster :)
but then again, your mod proves the other wise, that you can have a great mod without a dll.

Yeah the speed and the smarter AI are what I really want to merge it for. I don't mind being restricted to Python as it forces me to more inventive and streamlined in my approach to modding. It's definitely slower though. I need to spend some time and see if I can optimise my code better, regain some of the speed lost in the last few major releases.

I have a problem with the Infoscreen (inside the Foreign Advisor): it doesn't fits properly. I've had this problem with both versions 1.23.1 and 1.23.2.

I'm overhauling all the advisor screens one by one. BUG's screens are useful but often ugly and incredibly convoluted in how they work. Platyping's UI is much more streamlined so I usually start with his, re-add the BUG features worth keeping and then do a whole bunch of function and layout changes to suit HR's needs and my taste.

The Foreign advisor is one I haven't got to yet. There's a number of problems with it. What's your resolution btw?

And it seems that Jetavanaramaya wonder doesn't pop-up a video.

No-one's made a video for it yet, unfortunately. I should at least add a static image for it though.

Just downloaded the newest version, and it's looking pretty good so far. I have had a few Python exceptions though, including one which I couldn't get rid of and had to force-quit out of.

One minor nitpick first: the tooltip on the Palace appears not to have been updated to reflect the latest civic changes.

On to the Python exceptions. The first one popped up when I was fiddling with the new settings interface and tried to change the color of the available movement indicator bar under Plot List.

The second came up when I opened up the city screen for my first expansion city. That's the one I had to force quit to get out of. No idea what specifically triggered it, though.

Attachments

• Wrong Tooltip on Palace.jpg
    Wrong Tooltip on Palace.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Changing Unit Movebar Color.jpg
    Changing Unit Movebar Color.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 128
  • No Idea What Caused This....jpg
    No Idea What Caused This....jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 85
i guess i can understand you, but anythings possible in civ4 almost.

you can use other platforms of dlls, there are plenty of them, plus , i think with some time and effort, you can remove kmods alteration to this health thing.

anyway, keep up the work friend :)

One minor nitpick first: the tooltip on the Palace appears not to have been updated to reflect the latest civic changes.

Whoops, will fix.

On to the Python exceptions. The first one popped up when I was fiddling with the new settings interface and tried to change the color of the available movement indicator bar under Plot List.

Interesting, that appears to be a bug in BUG itself.

The second came up when I opened up the city screen for my first expansion city. That's the one I had to force quit to get out of. No idea what specifically triggered it, though.

Ah dammit. It happens when a city has zero cultural output. A simple indentation error in the code. I have no idea how it happened though as I haven't needed to touch that section of code since 1.21. Oh well, guess there'll be a 1.23.3.

i guess i can understand you, but anythings possible in civ4 almost.

you can use other platforms of dlls, there are plenty of them, plus , i think with some time and effort, you can remove kmods alteration to this health thing.

Hmm. I guess editing and recompiling the DLL to suit is an option. I'm sure I could teach myself how. Will look into it sometime.

• Tribal Islands: will no longer spawn Barbarian Caravels

Aha, I recall posting a query as to where the Barbarians were getting advanced ships from. This explains and resolves it!

Question: how come building wealth, etc scales from 33% - 50% - 100%? That works out to a 50% increase in output from the first upgrade, and a 100% increase from the second one. Any reason why not a linear 33-66-100? Apologies if this has been answered already.

Question: how come building wealth, etc scales from 33% - 50% - 100%? That works out to a 50% increase in output from the first upgrade, and a 100% increase from the second one. Any reason why not a linear 33-66-100? Apologies if this has been answered already.

They're actually ratios and scale smoothly as such. 33% = 1 commerce for 3 production, 50% = 1 commerce for 2 production, 100% = 1 commerce for 1 production.

Top Bottom