1.25 released! (Better late than never)

Just trying the mod out for the first time and liking it. However it runs really slow on my computer. On a huge map with 25 civs and at like 20 turns its taking 2 min. Didn't notice this so early with mods like RFC and C2C, just wondering if its a known thing.
I don't know if you're aware, but there is a tool that can help improve the amount of memory your game is using (on Windows). It's likely that RAM is the bottleneck making your game run slowly. Here's a guide on how to get and use it. Sorry for linking to the DoC forum, it's that was the explanation that was easiest to find for me. It applies for all mods, however.

Thanks for the help guys. Im pretty sure I used the 4gb tool on my exe but ill try the suggestions again.

I'm stuck with a Mac for 10 days, so I downloaded 1.25 yesterday and so far it runs fine. Not far in the game yet, just passed Iron Working.

I notice the custom settings in the scoreboard (and the +100% -100% top left) are not saved when starting CIV-IV HR the next day.
Installed CIV BTS from Steam.

However I'm unsure if (m)any folk still play HR...

Wow, I've been playing steadily, and failed to notice this surprise update. Great news. However, I just this week was compelled to update my laptop to Monterey for work purposes, and am stumped how to go forward. What is the best workaround to continue to play? I am not a techie of any stripe, so explain as to an idiot.

I notice the custom settings in the scoreboard (and the +100% -100% top left) are not saved when starting CIV-IV HR the next day.

In game, click the Cog icon and go to the System tab. It'll show your Mod Settings path. Investigate that location and see if the Interface.ini file exists and whether it's been written to.

Wow, I've been playing steadily, and failed to notice this surprise update. Great news. However, I just this week was compelled to update my laptop to Monterey for work purposes, and am stumped how to go forward. What is the best workaround to continue to play? I am not a techie of any stripe, so explain as to an idiot.

There's no non-techie way of running Civ IV on 64-bit MacOS anymore, unfortunately. The Mac version is officially dead and unsupported. You have to run the Windows version via compatibility layer software like CrossOver (paid), virtualization like Parallels (paid), or via WINE (free, but extra technical). It's not worth buying CrossOver or Parallels just for Civ4, but if you already have such software I can help you to get Civ4 working on it. Or if you're willing to endure some technical challenge I can help you get it running via WINE. Let me know.

In game, click the Cog icon and go to the System tab. It'll show your Mod Settings path. Investigate that location and see if the Interface.ini file exists and whether it's been written to.
The problem resolved itself, just like the "Civ IV is always logging out of MacOS when exiting a game." that was mentioned on Steam. I believe either Apple or Steam did a silent update.

There's no non-techie way of running Civ IV on 64-bit MacOS anymore, unfortunately. The Mac version is officially dead and unsupported. You have to run the Windows version via compatibility layer software like CrossOver (paid), virtualization like Parallels (paid), or via WINE (free, but extra technical). It's not worth buying CrossOver or Parallels just for Civ4, but if you already have such software I can help you to get Civ4 working on it. Or if you're willing to endure some technical challenge I can help you get it running via WINE. Let me know.

Or you may create a Windows partition on your Mac hard drive with the Boot Camp Assistant. I did it when Xyth (rightfully) decided to add k-mod to HR, and I do not regret. I use Windows partition almost exclusively to play HR.

Note: I'm an absolute ignorant about computers and informatics. So if I did it everybody will be able to.

Or you may create a Windows partition on your Mac hard drive with the Boot Camp Assistant. I did it when Xyth (rightfully) decided to add k-mod to HR, and I do not regret. I use Windows partition almost exclusively to play HR.

Note: I'm an absolute ignorant about computers and informatics. So if I did it everybody will be able to.

Also an option, though not for M1 Macs.

Does anyone remember how to continue a game on Windows 7 that was started on MacOS? I thought removing the dll would do the trick, but that does not work.
(I am back home and the Win7 PC is much better than my trusty old Macbook, so I would like to continue playing this game on the PC.)

Does anyone remember how to continue a game on Windows 7 that was started on MacOS? I thought removing the dll would do the trick, but that does not work.
(I am back home and the Win7 PC is much better than my trusty old Macbook, so I would like to continue playing this game on the PC.)

Removing the DLL was a trick to get cross platform multiplayer working. Not sure if it ever worked for transferring a save game, sorry.

Also an option, though not for M1 Macs.

Anybody know anything about Parsec? My nephew says that would be a preferable workaround. I can't find anything on their website to confirm whether this would work.

Parsec (afaik) is just a very good screensharing app. So you could run the mod on a Windows machine and then share it to your Mac, and that would probably work pretty well. But that requires having a Windows machine to run the mod on - and if that's the case you could just play on that machine directly.

Or you may create a Windows partition on your Mac hard drive with the Boot Camp Assistant.
Except that this would still require a convert from this Mac HR game to a Windows game, which is apparently no longer possible. (Also this Macbook is old, but it was all I had access to for ten days.)
Anyway, I started a new game on the PC.

Hey, guys, hey,

After years playing this wonderful Mod (v. 1.24.1) on my PC, my last operations to make it evolve (+ variations of Units) have led to a Bug that now forbids me access to it.

Upon opening, a window appears indicating “GFC Error_Failed to initialize primary control theme”. Then, when I use the “Ctr+Alt+Delete” command to unlock the screen, the Manager crashes and I cannot exit the program without shutting down my PC.:mad:

Thinking I may have made a mistake (not found!) during my last manipulations of the Mod, I ended up deleting it.

To replace it, I just downloaded version 1.25, but its opening causes me exactly the same problem! :shifty:

And this malfunction only intervenes with this Mod!:crazyeye:

Where’s the mistake? HELP!

Hi,
There are 3 reasons why you get this.
You changed the name of the original folder of hr,which you shouldn't.

Or you tampered with the artinterface.xml file under art and changed the mod name.

Or, you changed the civ4.thm file in the resource folder.

Good luck.

Hi Xyth,

Thank you for your answer, but check, I didn’t touch any of this.

For HR-1.25, however, I noticed that the original intro file outside of ‘Assets’ does not have the same title as the one written in the text (‘’; Name of Mod: Name = History Rewritten 1.25’’//instead of//‘’ History Rewritten’).

But even by correcting this, this Mod does not want to work (as before).

Luckily, after a few cleanings, I still managed to restore my HR-1.24.1 (previously enriched) and I will be able to continue enjoying your superb work.

Thank you for your attention!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

PS: If you are open to outside inspiration, you can you can ask me and/orc onsult my old ModComp ‘’LoR_NewRealism’’ and use my creations.

OK... Sorry !
And Thanks, but Idon't now how (I didn’t touch the original).:mad:
It doesn’t matter...:sad:
Thank you! :thumbsup:

Hi folks,

First of all let me say I'm not used to play corporations and syndicates since I usually stick to Central Planning civic. Now I'm playing a game where I'm using corporations and syndicates intensively.

So Xyth, when you designed Syndicates what was your purpose?

About Syndicates: I guess I should avoid to create those syndicates that deal with those resources I own. So I founded The Triads, since I have few of those resources this syndicate deals with. And then I should expect this syndicate expands over AI cities while avoiding my cities... and my benefit is exclusively to bother my opponents. Isn't it?

My questions:

First: I'm not sure is worth for me to create syndicate agents in order to expand, they are very expensive to produce.

Second: I've got a quest where I'm tasked to attack and takeover from opponents Silk, Amber and Jade (all of them resources related to the Syndicate The Triads). I feel it not coherent, since I should prefer not to own those resources in order to don't get The Triads expanded over my cities.

Are my thoughts consistent? Or maybe I'm not getting the point around the Syndicate mechanics.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom