1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

1.52 Patch Available

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by mercurycs, Dec 22, 2005.

1. StackofDOOM

StackofDOOM Chieftain

You know, you could enable health bars and use single unit graphics. The only reason I use multiple unit graphics is because the battles look more realistic.

2. Mysterio10000

Mysterio10000 Prince

The health bars look cheesy to me, as if they were tacked on at the last minute. :)

3. ULTIMATEGP

ULTIMATEGP Blitzkrieg!!!

I've heard that downloading this patch gives fireaxis acsess to your credit card account. Is this true?:confused:

Of course I heard this on the internet so it may not be true

4. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

I was going to say, where'd you hear that from? It's not true at all. (I don't have a credit card, and I can still go into the game and download the patch...) :)

5. ULTIMATEGP

ULTIMATEGP Blitzkrieg!!!

It was just a random person on the internet on another message board. I got a little spooked. Thanks

6. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

Can one really trust a company with the name "Firaxis'? Does it not sound suspiciously like "fir axes"? Did they used to murder fir trees? Have they stopped? Or perhaps it's an alien name - does it not have a trekkie ring about it? Do they ever talk about "The Mothership" over there? More likely it is a transmographication from "Fire and Axes" a 70's red neck rock group involving the beheading of chickens and pyrotechnics on and off stage. This is why Chicken Itzas is a Wonder to them. What is the numeric value of the letters of "Firaxis"? More likely it is code for "we are "for" the "axis". Has Sid been told of this!!!

7. Alistic

Alistic Warlord

Ill have what he's having

8. lebowski

lebowski Chieftain

I heard Firaxis is responsible for the war in the Middle East as well as the rising cost of fuel. The credit card access is just nonsense. :mischief:

9. petlan

petlan Chieftain

Hi.
    My name is Petla, and I have a problem with starting my
    Civ. 4 program after installing the 1.52 patch, it's running ok with the 1.09 patch.
    After the update when I try to start it says Wrong DVD-rom insterd, and I can't do anything about it.
    Isn't there a new crak for this version?

Thank you.

Moderator Action: No. Warned for asking for pirated software.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

10. aotearoa

aotearoa Chieftain

JC....
    I will laugh all week thinking at that ...:lol: :lol:

11. Pushead

Pushead Chieftain

Yeah Firaxis could kick Chuck Norris' <snip>. :lol:

Moderator Action: Warned for spam/language.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

12. Herocrafter

Herocrafter Chieftain

Is 1.52 it, or are they still patching this further?

13. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

patching further...

14. sgtfury

sgtfury Chieftain

I have just been able to intall the 1.52 patch, after installing a wireless broadband connection. I must say, that where before I could not play the game at all, with the 1.52 patch, things were better.:rolleyes:

However, I am still having major trouble with the game:

1. After a while, I get a fatal error about memory allocation.:confused:
    2. Loading the game still takes too long.
    3. Exiting the game is almost impossible, it's so slow. I literally have to disconnect the computer from the power source. It won't let me contol-alt-delete out of the game, and it takes 20-30 minutes to churn, which I can't afford, so I end up just shutting the whole darn thing off.

I know they are working on another patch, but, really, this game hasn't been playable since I bought it last November. :mad:

15. blue3c

blue3c Warlord

What are your system specs? What is running in the backround?
    Civ IV is a mem hog. If you have to much running in the backround it will be tough to run.
    What is your swap file set to. Is it set up to run on c? If not is it just set to a different part or is it set to a different physical drive.
    How old is this system.
    Has it ever had a nuke and pave done on it.
    Do you run any system utilities on it. If so what.
    What flavor of video card drivers do you have installed.
    Have you run windows update. Do you have all the latest and greatest updates, at least all the critical ones.
    What flavor of AV are you running. Some can be mem hogs themselves.

I am not in anyway defending anyone. I am just saying it is a mem hog. So I am not blaming your system or the way you set it up. All the questions above are related to mem issues.

On all my systems. running with the 1.52 patch did reveal more issues. If my system did not lock up during the game, I was at least able to shut down the game. From what you stated, I would guess you have something eating your mem besides civ.

Two other questions before I go. How long do you play before you see these issues and do you leave the game unattended for long periods.

16. Harkonnen

Harkonnen Prince

From my experience, cvi4 exits slowly not due to swapping (it slows it down even more, but it's not the first reason). It just allocates too many small blocks, many of which reside in video memory as well.

I mean that with 512Mb systems memory usage with long exits is correlated with swapping since it happens at ~400mb of memory usage by civ4. On 1gb systems swapping is much less frequent, but still the game exits slowly.

My fix for 1.09 reduced number of geometry entities, and as a good side effect, the game started exiting faster. 1.52 on itself saves even more memory, but for some reason it does not speed up exiting as much (if it does at all)... Probably amount of entities is not reduced, and memory is saved for another reson, I don't know.

---

All in all, it's sad but ok for civ4 to take time to exit. Also, as I have noticed, all important things (like saving game) are done by the time you see your desktop, but civ4 process is still hanging around. So there shouldn't be too much fear killing it from task manager (ctrl+alt+del -> select Civilization4.exe -> press 'del' -> click 'Yes'). Again, once you see your desktop, not when the game is running.

17. Opus1999

Opus1999 Chieftain

Hi,

I purchased Civilization 4 earlier in the week and love it. I justed tried to apply the patch and I get a message saying that the game is not installed on my machine. Can someone tell me how to get around this problem.

Scott

18. Mysterio10000

Mysterio10000 Prince

You have to use the patch supplied by Direct2Drive.

19. Opus1999

Opus1999 Chieftain

Thanks... that worked!!!

20. Clovis

Clovis Charlemagne's Grandfather

When does the next patch that everyone is waiting for come out?