1.52 Patch Available

@Amelas

I've got the same problem - no menu visible, but works. I've cleared the cache and have no custom xml.

Have you had any luck?

Actually, it's worse that that. If I carry on into the program I have no text at all!

Got it 12Hrs ago.
Couldn't DL from in game, but used mirrors kindly provided by people here ;-)
Thank you.
Loaded several abandoned, late stage games, previously unplayable after about 5 turns.
Never had a prob with game speed, but CTD's were a pain - zooming in out, clicking on minimap, loading several games in a row etc..
Now able to zoom quickly in & out, move all over huge map, 1280x1024, all gfx/sound levels @ high.
No CTD for 20 turns, worldbuilder use, 2-3 major wars etc etc. Basically flogging the crap out of it to see what happens.
My PCI card fan gets going, but nowhere like the jet engine of 1.09...
This with 38 in Sydney today, and aircon not that crash hot.
So maybe it isn't entirely user hardware/software issues to blame, but early buggy release?!
Keeing fingers crossed.

Good luck to the rest of you, and Merry Christmas to all from hot (but cooled down) Sydney.

Patch is rock solid here, been running it for over a day. Totally rocks and things are even faster then before (and I had no problems before). Love the changes as well. Nice job.

With this patch, the game now asks you to confirm before overwriting previous quicksaves. Any way to disable that warning? It just wastes time!

From Patch Readme:
Created a set of low-res movies for machines without dynamic texture support (this is a separate download)

Does anyone know where to get this? Those jumpy movies really disrupt flow of the game. I know how to disable them but I don't want to because it disables tech popups also. I searched but can't seem to find it.

robaughjr said:
From Patch Readme:

Does anyone know where to get this? Those jumpy movies really disrupt flow of the game. I know how to disable them but I don't want to because it disables tech popups also. I searched but can't seem to find it.

I don't think that's the case with the new version, as the Civ4.ini file has two separate lines for movies and tech pop-ups.

jdurg said:
I don't think that's the case with the new version, as the Civ4.ini file has two separate lines for movies and tech pop-ups.
Thanks, I hadn't checked the post patch .ini file. I'd still rather leave them on, so if anyone knows where to get the lo res movies, please post a link here.

Thanks.

All set to play MP over the break and am now required to download update. Fine, did so gladly. Game now doesn't work (all interface options missing, just the map and units displayed on screen.

I've tried everything I know including updating Windows, 4 different video drivers, reinstalling CIV 3 times to try the update from 1.09 or straight from 1.00, changed textures to low. Everything I can think of.

I've got a couple hundred dollars into a game that doesn't work (upgraded to 256MB video card and 1GB RAM).

Can anybody help me?????

medwynn said:
@Amelas

I've got the same problem - no menu visible, but works. I've cleared the cache and have no custom xml.

Have you had any luck?

Medwynn, I was able to finally fix my problem by uninstalling the game and removing everything else connected to the game, such as all the Civ 4 related folders in documents and settings. I reinstalled it and then patched using the automatic update inside the game.

It seemed to work fine after that. I made a backup of most of the subfolders and files in the Assets folder now just in case. I backed up everything except the really large ones. I installed blue marble as well and it seems to work fine with that also. CivScale doesn't work though since it says it detects an incorrect version of Civ (only works with 1.09 and under) so I guess we'll have to wait for an update on that.

Hope you can fix your problem that way too!

Thanks Amelas. I've already tried a re-install, but I'll give it another go and make sure that EVERYTHING has been deleted before I reinstall. Short of that, I guess it's back to 1.09!

Some notes from me:

1) When I installed 1.52, my patch wasn't loaded. I guess the update overwrites 'zlib1.dll'. Note for Thamer: does it overwrite 'python24.dll'?

2) Mem-savings with 1.52 are better than with my fix (according to task manager), but speed and disk access (?) is worse.

3) Running my fix with 1.52 and MemSaver = 1 does not have any effect at all (except FPS/primitive_count meters) since now everything is created in video memory (current versions of my fix don't affect such allocations).

4) Running my fix with 1.52 and MemSaver = 0 crashes at start-up. I didn't see anyone having this, but at least I have. I will check this.

5) Globe view has become faster on its own (even with buildings enabled).

6) 'Disable buildings in globe view' works a little wrong - it hides city billboards instead of buildings :D Anyway, it speeds things up.

7) Movies stuttering problem is still not solved, though I've told the reason in my fix thread. Basically, they stutter when there is some unexpected slow-down (e.g. swapping) when the movie starts. This was in 1.00, 1.09 and now in 1.52.

yet again a patch that compleatly removes all the users custom settings

No problem Medwynn, glad you fixed it too :)

Harkonnen said:
7) Movies stuttering problem is still not solved, though I've told the reason in my fix thread. Basically, they stutter when there is some unexpected slow-down (e.g. swapping) when the movie starts. This was in 1.00, 1.09 and now in 1.52.

Hmmm.... In version 1.00, I NEVER had any stuttering movie problems no matter what was happening, yet in version 1.09 it happened on all movies. Now, it only happens after at least one movie has played. (I.E. the first wonder movie plays flawlessly, but all other movies during that same session play horrendously).

jdurg
The problem with movies is wrong estimation of timescale. Normally they should look at 'movie time' vs. 'real time' and get the frame from it (or interplate to get all late frames within a second). The way they do it is rather strange - they check FPS when the 1st frame is out, and then output the rest according to this FPS.

The first frame is usually surrounded by massive swapping to zoom the city, so it usually differs from actual FPS when the movie is played.

Even with my fix I had no movie stuttering in one situation and now I have. It was same 1.09, same fix settings, same config, same savegame, same turn, same everything... probably HDD got more fragmented, I dunno... Just a few more milliseconds to start a movie resulted in it to stutter.

This is quite ovious that this is not slowness of movie displaying. Background workers dig the earth at usual 20-30 FPS, but the movie performs at 1-2 FPS which were active by the time movie has started.

Thamer, that's for your next fix...

Top Bottom