Qi Jiguang
Shen Yourong
Wu Xiang
Wu Sangui

SGL
Li Shizhen -author of Compendium of Materia Medica
Xu Guangqi -famed mathematician who translated and adoted western ways
Sung Ying-hsing- author of "T'ien-kung k'ai-wu"

The point was that timber suited for warships were quickly becoming a rarity in many european nations. You could make only the largest warships require it and give every warship the ability to capture ships - making that an important way of building a fleet.
wiki

This could also be a way of limiting large navies to the proper European civs.

Points of possible interest I forgot:
1671: The Danish colony of Saint Thomas is founded on the Virgin Islands.
(These colonies are known as The Danish West-Indies)
1683: The colony of Saint John is founded.

1693: The last witch in Denmark is burned.

Capt Morgan will figure in this scenario with a few of the other great Pirates. I want to have them roaming the seas as barbarians.

I dont believe there were settlements in Aussieland until the penal colonies established there by the Brits in 17++ (although it WAS discovered in the late 16s), so it will figure very little/not at all. I will probably leave terrain for one or two small cities.

Any comments on the changes in Europe? I made some rather major additions. You will also notice the Portugese all over the world. Next question: Should the Spanish start with some warships and troops already in Cuba, or should their soldiers have already landed in SA? I cannot decide which I prefer, but I think the AI will respond better with preplaced soldiers rather than choice launching.

As to warships, they will be limited to only the Euro civs, and many Euro civs SHOULD get unique ships (depending on how much art i can find/make). I also do not intend to have any strictly transport ships... beyond a merchant carrying ship... and a slow moving cavalry transport, since horses are a PITA to move on the ocean.

I am beginning to think that a later graphics patch might be a good idea (props to whoever mentioned it! ;p) simply so that I can have something out there to generate some more interest.

@TC: I know, I know, timber was essential ;p
I love ships too! (go buy "To Rule The Waves" its absolutely excellent! It has a lot of Mahan in it, but brings him up to date. Plus, its a well written book!)

The thing is, I am going to, for example, make Spanish ships dependent upon Precious Metals, which only they can see, and English ships dependent upon, say, Tobacco or Naval Stores, which only they can see. Most, if not all, ships and units for each civ will come as a result of their flavor techs (so for instance England will have to research Act of Supremacy to build race built Galleons). Its not going to look like normal civ, because my goal is to build in a feeling of what the times were like, with more history and less technological mumbo jumbo. This might be a bit weird... but I liked the effect in EU2, so Im hoping it will make the transition ;p

I hope some of that makes sense, but if not my SN is the same as my username here and you can just IM me.

Oh, and I loved your idea about capturing warships when you mentioned it in Rhye's thread. Dont worry, itll be in here ;p

Ok, uploaded .biq four

Additions:
Inca
Portugese Colonies (Indian and Azores)
Vijayanagara
Mughals (redid and finished prior setup)

Needed:
Names for two cities in India
Name for Danish city in Iceland
Name for Portugese city in the Azores

Q: Should the Woodland Tribes be represented as Barb and Goody huts (and therefore encouraging settlement) to allow the Maya and the Aztecs to be represented as seperate entities?

PS: If yes, I CAN set the various barb huts to have the names of the tribes of the region. So Cherokee, Iroquois, Algonquin, Seminole etc will be represented. That way the English and anyone else who settles there will have to face ravening hordes of barbarians, rather than the somewhat weak resistance the current civ will offer.

Plus the colonization vs. conquest aspect of colonialism will come to the fore.

Opinions?

Barbs and Goody huts sounds good - as long as the barbs are powerful enough to be a challenge to the Europeans.

Iceland... looking into it.

The only thing I can find about Iceland in the 16th century is Thingvellir - it is not a city, but a location close to modern day Reykjavik. It is the place where the Altinget (the world's oldest parliament) met - although, in this period it functioned only as a court, since Iceland was ruled from Copenhagen.

Edit: Found a better one: Akureyri. A town that played a major role in the Danish trade monopoly from 1602-1788. It is located roughly at (66,8).

The first capital of São Miguel was Vila Franca do Campo. Due to a violent earthquake in 1522 that buried the town of Vila Franca, Ponta Delgada was designated capital of the island. Ponta Delgada, 25 kilometres west of Vila Franca was already the centre of the municipality and became the first city on the island in 1546.
The settlement at Ribeira Grande, situated 18 km from Ponta Delgada, received the charter of town in 1507 by Dom Manuel (King of Portugal)

Also a little different look for your Avatar if you are interested;
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/FrenchKnight_large1.gif

Thanks TC!

@Mistfit:
those are city names for the Azores, right?

As to the avatar, thanks, but no thanks! I'm getting bored of him anyway ;p

Since my first shift, I change it every few days or weeks or whatever.

Update five (VERY PRELIM)

I am thinking of getting rid of the woodland tribes and adding a middle eastern civ now. I want to lessen the number of cities I have handed the Mamelukes by adding some other civ. If any EU2 player can list a few of the Arabian civs (Oman, Aden, The Hedjaz, etc) that would help. The other choice is a SE Asian civ.

Added:
China (no names)
Manchu (no names)

I have an excellent map of their possesions (with city names), so no worries. I just wanted to see if the city positions were acceptable.

Thanks guys!

@Gunner: Only a small number of civs will be allowed to colonize (Russia, Spain, Portugal, UP, France, England). All others will only be able to expand via conquest. Woodland Tribes will also be far enough inland to allow colonization. I am just not sure that I want to bother with including them when they will basically be a placeholder civ.

I think that it will be fine having the Woodland Tribes be barbarians, as long as they are good enough to pose at least some threat and to force civs to keep their cities well defended.

I think this will add a level of reality to the game as well, as North American colonies were not founded on the spots of old Native American cities, like colonies were in Central and South America, to an extent. It also provides no unified force to halt colonization.

Aeon, are there any plans to create a massive plague in the American Tribes? I know on the Island of Hispaniola, the Native population dropped from approximately 1 million to 500 within a couple of decades, and in some Mayan areas, as much as 95% of the population died of European diseases, mainly smallpox.

I dont think I can... editor again. The Plague will be enabled throughout the entire scenario, but I cannot deploy a massive virus on the native peoples only... unlike real life. However, since they did shoot syphilis right back, I guess giving everyone the plague is fine.

I'm not sure whether or not Korea should belong to China or Manchu... On one hand China helped korea fend off the japanese in the 1590s, on the other hand China might become too powerful with the addition of Korea. The other thing i'm worried about is the vulnerability of Beijing. There's nothing between it and manchu conquest. btw, I'd prefer a SE asian civ actually because there's only 3 civs in the east right now and there's nothing between india and China. But i agree with ur opinion that mamelukes have too many cities. Your choice ^_^

Top Bottom