1512-1701 (An Odessy!)

I believe it would be better that the four danish cities in Norway would be (again, starting from the south):

1. either move it to (86,20) and call it
Christiania (The name of Oslo from 1624 to 1924)
or move it to(83,19) and call it
Bergen (1537 marked the end of Trondhjem as a major trade center - after this, Bergen more or less took over)

2. Trondhjem

3. and 4. These regions were populated by the Sami - the lands were not expropriated until the mid 18th century. Cities like Bodø and Tromsø were not founded before late 18th - early 19th century.

Vesteras (Västerås) is a good choice, but it is located just vest of Stockholm (same position as Stockholm on your map).
You have placed Vyborg where Helsinki is - Vyborg is on the Russian side (96,20) - Helsinki is a good possibility, though.
"New 5" and "New 6" - well, I think that was Sami territory too.

You could rename Västerås to Sundsvall and rename "New 6" to Vaasa (move it to (93,17) - founded in 1606).

Lund actually lost most of its political, religious, and economic importance to Malmö (same place on your map) in the period 1536-1658. So, maybe you should name it Malmö. Of course, Lund is important because of "The Battle at Lund" in 1676 - the bloodiest battle ever fought in Scandinavia (but no need to remind our selves about that battle - it did not end well... ;) ) and "The Peace in Lund" in 1679 (We certainly do not need to go there again :mad: )
(Too bad, there is no room for Kalmar in (90,24) - well, enough from me).

For the unnamed turkish city, the closest i can think of is Albania.... i think that was the name of the area in EU2

Added Russia and Golden Horde: Need names for most of England and Ireland, Golden Horde, and a few Russian cities. Would like better names for the cities currently named Albania and Corisca, but am willing to just leave as they are. Please let your eyes wander over some of the other choices, as my geography may be none too good ;p

On the first post as usual!

I think what you have called Konigsberg really should be Riga, and that the river that flows out of (what is currently named) Konigsbergis the Duna, which would mess up quite a few of the names in E. Germany and Poland.

I've got to be at work early tomorrow morning, but if you want me to post some screenies tomorrow afternoon of what I mean, I can do that, no problem.

For now, to bed I go... :sleep:

Its very important to follow history and geography, but thats pretty tough when you have a Europe that was expanded by chomping bits out of the Central regions (which isnt to say that I do not think its an excellent map... i mean, I chose to use it because I think its the best even when compared to Marla's maps).

I wanted Germany to look like it does, and I didnt have the space to do it in the provided area... so there was a bit of an overflow. In GENERAL it looks pretty good and fairly close to the real world... which is all we can achieve in a game where a single city can cover multiple countries.

Thanks for noticing (I was starting to get worried no one else would notice or care ;p), but I have decided to let it slide.

Next on the Agenda: I have some excellent maps of the Americas (much better than what I was working with on Europe! You try placing cities with a map of Fugger banks and a map of high density printing regions ;p), but I am basically flying blind with China and most of the Middle East. If anyone could possibly scrounge up some maps that show a few important cities (especially inland ones!) I would be incredibly grateful!

I also have a five page paper to write for Euro tomorrow, and a stats test to study for so dont expect anything major out of me for a bit (monday afternoon basically!)

I am beginning to codify some of my tech tree ideas, but without a civ map to look at its all still pretty squishy.

Era1: deals with SA and NA
Era2: deals with eastern civs
Era3: deals with Euros and mideasterns
Era4: deals with Euros and mideasterns.

anyway i gotta go to bed too

Excellent indeed! But what time period is it from?

No scenario work today; too much RL stuff...

Yeah I knew some cities you were not going to be able to be completely accurate, because there's just to many countries in Europe....As long as the gameplay is good, I'm not too picky. :D

For Corsica, I think the best choice is Bastia, as the most important city of the time.

For Albania, I think you should call the city Durazzo, which was a chief port of the Byzantines (but then called Dyrrachium) and is still the biggest port of all of Albania today.

GOOD NEWS! A friend of mine here has an excellent book with more maps, and it fills out most of the areas I did not already have maps of. When I finish classes today I will be able to complete the city placement of the Barbary States and Mamelukes for sure, and redo the placement of the Golden Horde cities. Plus, I now have names for some Irish cities!

It was a very convenient breakthrough ;p

Other than that nothing to report. I should have the next week pretty free, so expect to see way more updates of the map and the beginnings of the resource/unit/tech lists (ugh... thats gonna be a hydra). If you guys could do some checking out of historical events for the period for each civ, that would be amazing! I am thinking about 10-12 per Euro and Mid-East civ, and 5-7 for each of the rest (because of how I am going to break down the tech tree). Its ok that some of the events (like the Protestant Reformation) are pretty much universal, but try and hunt down a few civ-specifics for each civ.

I will try and fit in some research as well, and may see if the research thread is active again (so that I can post a request there).

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP GUYS!

I dont know how many times I will have to say it, but it gets truer each time ;p

Danish historic events - 1512-1701 (Short version: WAR WITH SWEDEN):

1520: "The Stockholm Bloodbath", King Christian II captures Stockholm and murders 83 swedish nobles.
He is crowned as swedish king. The Three Crowns are restored.

1523: Sweden revolts from the Union. The last time, a king is ruler of all three nations.

1534-36: The Danish Civil War "The Count's Feud" - leads to the Reformation.

1541: Peace with Sweden.

1563-70: "The Nordic Seven Years War" - Denmark vs. Sweden - ends in a draw

1572: Tycho Brahe discovers a new star: Stella Nova. One of the single most significant scientific discoveries, that helps to separate natural science with christianity. The event is acknowledged as an important stepping stone to the modern day western world.

1611-13: "The Kalmar War" - Denmark vs. Sweden - ends in a draw

1616: Danish fleet acquires the Indian colony of Trankebar.

1625-29: Denmark enters the "Thirty Years War" on the german protestants side.
Major defeat - Jutland (Jylland) is plundered by the Catholics in 1627.

1643-45: "The Torstensson War" Denmark vs. Sweden/Holland - Danish defeat.

1652: All peasants between 16 and 40 years of age are registered, in order to introduce conscription (in 1671).

1642: Plague!

1657-58: War with Sweden. The Great Belt between Jutland and Funen (Fyn) freezes (The Little Ice Age), and Swedish Karoliners can cross it with cannons - they are not stopped until Copenhagen (København).
In the "Peace at Roskilde", Denmark must give up Skåne (Scania), Halland, and Blekinge (The area encompassed by the culture border of Malmö, on your map), along with Trondhjem, Bohus, and Bornholm.

1658-60: Sweden attacks Denmark to invade the entire country. The Dutch fight on Denmarks side and defeat the Swedish Fleet.
Denmark gets to keep Trondhjem, Bohus, and Bornholm.

1659: "The Assault on Copenhagen" - casualties: 30 Danish, 5000 Swedish.

1660: Denmark switches from feudal to absolute monarchy.

1661: The Danish Supreme Court is founded.

1676: "The Battle at Lund", Denmark vs. Sweden/France - Denmarks tries to win Skåne, Halland, and Blekinge back. 9000 People dies in one day. Denmark lose.

1677: "The Battle at the Bay of Køge", Denmark vs. Sweden - Naval battle won by Denmark.

1679: Peacetreaty between Denmark and Sweden - Denmark must finally give up Skåne, Halland, and Blekinge along with the dream of the Three Crowns.
(The Danish-Swedish wars continue to 1720)

1683: Christian V publishes The Danish Law of April 15. 1683: The first complete collection of laws for the entire country.

1701: The Peasant Militia is founded (The peasants working for the land owners had to perform military drills every sunday after church).

Danish MGL, SGL, wonders, and UU - 1512-1701:

MGL:
Skipper Klement
Johan Rantzau
Frederik III
Sven Gønge (Gøngehøvdingen)
Niels Juul
Tordenskjold (Peder Wessel)
Christian V

SGL:
Tycho Brahe (Stella Nova, Astrometric measurements)
Ole Rømer (Discovered the limited speed of light)
Jens Munk (Attempted to find the North-West-Passage)
Do you need more?

Wonders:
Christian IV - ruled from 1588 to 1648 - builded many, many buildings:
Børsen (A stockmarket)
Nyboder (a naval base)
Rundetårn/Trinitatis (An observatory, church, and library-in-one)
Tøjhuset (facility for construction of artillery and weapons)
Rosenborg (The king's castle)
Tycho Brahe builds the observatories of Uraniborg, and Stjerneborg on Hven in 1576, and 1584. Here, he performs the best astrometric measurements possible without telescopes. These measurements are since used by Keppler to map out the motion of the planets - which of course lead to Newton's laws of gravity.

UU: Should probably be a cheaper warship of some sort.

I'm really not sure if there would be a point to doing so. Most civs would already have access to it, and since there is no way to require multiple sources of the same resource... I guess I could make it randomly appear and disappear or something, but I would prefer to keep most of my resources preplaced and stable (since not having them stable will cause me to have really wasted my time).

OK! Got a TON of work done on the .biq today.

I added these civs:

Persia
Mughal Empire (NOT FINISHED)
Central American Tribes
Barbary States
Mamelukes

Added some cities for Spain

Added a TON of cities for Portugal

I changed some city placements, and a lot of city names. Check it out!

@TC: THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFO ON DENMARK! I totally missed it when I was typing (between class thing, sorry!)

PS: What TC delivered is EXACTLY what I was hoping for! Now if only we could see that about 30 more times ;p

I searched around and got these for China and Manchu:

Ming Dynasty

Ming Wu Zong
(1,506 – 1,522 A.D)
Liu Jin established his power in the government, and imprisoned more than 300 officials (1,508 A.D.)
Arrival in South China of first European traders since Marco Polo (Portuguese) (1,514 A.D)

Ming Shi Zong
(1,522 – 1,567 A.D.)

Attacked Vietnam (1,539 A.D.)
Francis Javier, Jesuit missionary attempted to enter China (1,549 A.D.)
Japan invaded ZheJiang (1,554 A.D.)

Ming Sheng Zong
(1,573 – 1,620 A.D.)

Missionaries Matteo Ricci and Lazaro Cantteo came to China in 1581.
Japan invaded Korea (1,592 A.D.).
China helped Korea to expel the Japanese (1,599 A.D.).
Missionaries Nicolas Trigault (1,609) and Alvarus de Semedo (1,613) came to China.
Manchurian leader, Qing Tai Zu crowned himself king (1,616 A.D.).
Nanjing Missionary Case (1616 A.D.)- Clash between Chinese practice of ancestor worship and Catholic doctrine lead to deportation of foreign missionaries. Missionary John Aaden Scall von Bell came to China.

Ming Xi Zong
(1,621 – 1,628 A.D.)
The Manchurians occupied Shen Yang, and made Liao Yang their capital. Rebellion of Li Zicheng (1,621 A.D.). JiaDing Christian Conference- discussion of Christian terminology and practices.

Ming Si Zu
(1,628 – 1,644 A.D.)

Manchurians established the Qing Dynasty (1,636 A.D.).
Li Zi Cheng occupied Kai Feng in 1,642 A.D., and seized Beijing in 1,643 A.D.
Si Zu hung himself and the Ming Dynasty ended in 1,644 A.D.

Manchu/Qing Dynasty

Nurhaci (r. 1616-September 30, 1626)

(1,599 A.D.) had two of his translators create the written Manchu language by adapting the Mongolian alphabet
(1,616 A.D.) founded the Later Jin Dynasty
(1,618 A.D.) commissioned a document entitled the Seven Great Vexations and began to rebel against the Ming empire

Hong Taiji (r. 1626 to 1643)

(1,635 A.D.) changed the name of his people from Jurchen to Manchu
(1,636 A.D.) proclaimed the establishment of the Qing dynasty
(1,642 A.D.) the full eight banner system was established

Qing Shi Zu
(Sun Zhi)
(1,644 – 1,662 A.D.)

Shi Zu occupied Beijing; Li Zi Cheng defeated (1,644 A.D.).
Missionary Johann Adam Schall von Bell persecuted in the Calendar Case (1616 A.D.).
Zheng Cheng Gong took over Taiwan (1,661 A.D.).

Qing Sheng Zu
(Kang Xi)
(1,662 – 1,723 A.D.)

ordered the Great Clearance in southern China, in order to fight the anti-Qing movement (1,662 A.D.)
Begin of the Revolt of the Three Feudatories (1,673 A.D.).
England began trading with China (1,680 A.D.).
Revolt of the Three Feudatories suppressed (1,681 A.D.).
Taiwan captured (1,683 A.D.).
Delineated boundary between Russia and China (1,689 A.D.).
Included Mongolia as part of Qing’s territory (1,697 A.D.)
Completed and published the KangXi Dictionary, most complete dictionary of Chinese characters ever put together at the time. (1,716 A.D.)
Suppressed Tibet’s rebellion (1,720 A.D.)

England

1534: English Reformation. Parliament names Henry VIII King of “Church and State”.

1536: Act of Union, formally annexing Wales.

1553-1558: Reign of “Bloody” Mary, a Catholic who made England Catholic again, killing any Protestant political opponents.

1558-1603: Reign of Queen Elizabeth, making England permanently Protestant and ushering in the Golden Age of the Elizabethan Era.

1580: Sir Francis Drake becomes the first Englishman to circumnavigate the globe.

1585-1604: Anglo-Spanish War, initiated by Drake’s burning of 37 Spanish Ships in the Harbor of Cadiz.

1587: Sir Walter Raleigh attempts to establish the first English colony in the New World on Roanoke Island. England also comes to the aid of the Dutch United Provinces, sending 8,000 troops and £1,000,000 to the Dutch.

1588: Defeat of the Spanish Armada, signaling the beginning of the end of the Spanish Empire.

1588-1613: The plays of William Shakespeare are published.

1600: Founding of the British East India Trading Company.

1603: England becomes an absolute monarchy under James I

1607: Jamestown becomes the first permanent British settlement in the Western Hemisphere.

1611: Publishing of the King James Bible.

1620: The Pilgrims found Plymouth, marking the beginning of the Puritan migrations to the Western Hemisphere.

1625: Charles I becomes King. He disagrees with Parliament over the Thirty Years War and taxes, eventually leading to his dissolution of Parliament in 1629.

1642-48: English Civil War

1649: Charles I is executed.

1649-59: England is officially made a Commonwealth, but realistically a military dictatorship under Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell and then briefly under his son, Richard.

1650: The Navigation Acts, which hurt Dutch trade, leads to the First Dutch War.

1652-1654: First Dutch War, the first war fought entirely at sea, is won by the English.

1660: The Restoration takes place, as Charles’ I son becomes King Charles II. Theatres are reopened, and the Puritans lose momentum in England.

1665-1667: Again over the Navigation Acts, the Second Dutch War is fought. England captures New Netherlands in modern day New York, but loses the best portion of her navy when the Dutch raid up the Thames River into London, and lose Suriname on the bargaining table.

1666: The Great Fire of London, on top of the English defeat in the Second Dutch War and the outbreak of the Great Plague in 1665, a bubonic outbreak which killed 60,000 and up to a fifth of London’s population, almost brings England to her knees.

1685: James II, a Catholic, becomes King, as starts reforming England as a Catholic state.

1687: Sir Isaac Newton develops his Theory of Gravity and his Three Laws of Motion.

1688: The Glorious Revolution. William III, Prince of Orange, and Mary, James II daughter, depose James II and become joint sovereigns without firing a shot.

MGL’s
Oliver Cromwell
Sir Francis Drake
Robert Blake
Lord Effingham
Sir Henry Morgan
Sir John Hawkins

SGL’s

Sir Isaac Newton
Robert Hooke
Edmund Halley
Sir Francis Bacon