18 Civs; the Mongol Version

Nice update. They seem to be getting longer. That's good but I'm gonna get myself into a bad spot staying up this late reading you story. Nice update, btw. :goodjob:

I'm enjoying reading this more and more as it progresses. a) it gets more interesting, and b) your writing style is getting better and better. Nice work. Hope for an update soon.

Glad you guys are enjoying the story, good news is I got back off holiday today and at the moment I have very good motivation to continue writing ... more than can be said for previous times where the story lapsed, so I'll try and get an update in every week for the next 6 weeks or so. So look out for an update by next Sunday!

XIII - A Crusade of Sorts

Part II

1590AD

Frederick proposes to trade with Mongolia

FREDERICK: Genghis, Genghis, Genghis. Have I got a deal for you!
GENGHIS: The odds are, no you haven’t.
FREDERICK: You’re going to love this deal! How do I know? Because I know you, Genghis, are a man of taste. A man of power. A man of strength.
GENGHIS: A man of limited patience and tough resistance to flattery too. Now show me the deal, and I’ll judge it on its merits.
FREDERICK: Fine. I have Divine Right, you have Education. Now, since I’m a generous man, I’m prepared to throw in a not inconsiderable 150 Gold to smooth the way for this transaction to take place. That’s because YOU’VE got me over a barrel, my barbarian buddy, and so I’m prepared to acquiesce to your terms here.
GENGHIS: Now hold on. Don’t try and confuse the issue. This is your trade offer. And Divine Right, well that’s the most overrated technology Ialbuk can think of.
FREDERICK: So you’re really not going to take the deal? I warn you, I have five other takers lined up, so don’t expect this deal to last!
GENGHIS: Go jump off a cliff.
FREDERICK: A shame, Genghis.

Frederick exits

GENGHIS: Idiot. Right, so now I have Mecca, what’s left of the Arabian state?
ISHAK: We have found, like three main parts of their empire left to take.
GENGHIS: Three?
ISHAK: I think it was three, like, one plus one plus another one does equal three, right?
KOLAI: Hey, don’t look at me.
IALBUK: Yes it does, now carry on.
ISHAK: Right. Three. Like, number one is Medina, but your brother Kachiun is taking his army over there, so we can forget about it, like. So, like, number two is like, down in Eastern Akirfa and that.
KOLAI: We’ll take the army through Egypt and down to take those cities sire.
GENGHIS: Fair enough. Where’s the third?
ISHAK: My scouts have detected Arabian presence over in the Philipelagos region, sire. There are rumours that they’ve expanded over there, even down to the large southern island of Australickch.
GENGHIS: That’s a trifle irritating. Go levy some troops in the home provinces and root them out, Kolai.
KOLAI: Will do, sire.
GENGHIS: Right. That’s definitely it?
ISHAK: Like, probably.
GENGHIS: WHAT?
ISHAK: I’m sorry sire. We haven’t explored the whole world. But based on their number of cities, like, it should be it.
GENGHIS: Right. So let’s go!

The Mongol armies kept marching forward relentlessly. Genghis travelled through Egypt with his army on the way to the Arabian cities of Akirfa, the Mongol name for Afrika. During the journey, Ialbuk occupied himself with the task of improving the government, casually given to him by Genghis on an impulse one evening. He had discovered that, whilst the bureaucracy was fairly effective, it was still expensive to run. Genghis preferred what he called “cheap and cheerful”.
So Ialbuk came up with a couple of ideas. The first was Communism, which Genghis thought a reasonable idea. He was sold on the remarkable promise of Ialbuk’s that there would be no poor people in the Empire under this government. However, he was slightly concerned when Ialbuk told him about the drawback of there being no rich people, and fears tax revenues might decrease, and research slowing due to lack of incentive. But under such a government Genghis would retain his power, and so he adopted State Property, and the government turned communist.
Then Ialbuk came up with Democracy. The idea that every man and woman in the empire should have a vote was absurd to Genghis, who was absolutely against morons gaining any power. However, he was slightly more interested in a spin-off civic named Emancipation, whereby all slaves would be set free and would gain equal citizenship status, in theory at least. And after careful encouragement by Ialbuk, Genghis decided to adopt Emancipation as well, after all, slaves were necessarily poor, and he didn’t want any poor people in his Empire. Now, he reasoned, no-one had any excuse not to be content with his governance.
Of course, this was far from the truth. But more of that later.

1600AD

The setting sun cast melancholy rays of orange sunlight across the darkening sandy vista, creating an indescribable aurora of foreboding and danger. Kachiun, exiting his yurt, was briefly mesmerised by the scene. Nature, he thought, could drum fear into a man’s heart far easier and more effectively than any horde of savage, yelling warriors. He stared out over the desert for a moment, then turned. He needed to complete his rounds before that tiny sliver of sun sank below the horizon, and plunged the camp into virtual darkness.
As he strode through the camp, he saw many of his warriors engaged in activity. The veterans, aware that this was the eve of a battle, were checking their equipment, polishing leather straps, greasing metal cuirasses, and replacing worn bootlaces. The younger, less experienced soldiers were gambling, or sitting round the fire, swapping stories and jokes. Kachiun greeted them all by name. His memory was staggering; if he had met a man once, even years back, on the second meeting he would greet him by his name. His men held him in awe for it, and many greeted their commander gladly; all were greeted in reply.
When the elder brother of Genghis reached the artillery headquarters, the tents around it were far emptier. Kachiun had set the artillery crews to work overnight, using torches to see, with the promise that by dawn the bombardment of Medina would end and they could relax and watch the battle, or sleep, all through the next day. There had been little grumbling, and after Kachiun had promised them a small donative in addition for their efforts, there had even been a little cheering to be heard. Nevertheless, the only people around the artillery headquarters were messengers, and there was the chief engineer, Aktar, effectively the commander of the artillery. He was the man Kachiun had come to see.
The two men discussed the situation for a quarter of an hour, by which time the sun had fallen still lower behind the distant hills. After an assurance from Kachiun that Aktar’s men would have adequate guard from a battalion of Macemen, the two men parted and Kachiun returned to his yurt. He hated sleeping whilst action was still going on outside, but he forced himself to anyway.
Rising at dawn Kachiun saw that the siege had been a success. The new Cannons had made light work of the outdated walls and there was no section of wall left standing at even a half of its original height. Kachiun ordered the assault.
At his command, 8000 warriors, armed with maces, advanced at the head of the army. A mighty force of 4500 knights controlled the left flank; the same on the right flank. A reserve of 2000 pikemen was kept behind the main force, ready to plug any gap in the line or aid any section in trouble.
The Arabian line consisted of 3000 macemen, with 3000 longbowmen behind them, dropping arrows on the Mongol forces. Inevitably, there were cries and screams as the arrows found their targets. But the Mongol lines moved quickly to engage with the Arabs, and the longbowmen discarded their bows as the knights bore down on them.
Against a heavy cavalry charge, poorly trained at close combat, and with poor morale, the longbowmen broke almost instantly as the knights charged them and slaughtered them. The Arab Macemen were in no position to help; they were heavily outnumbered in the centre by the Mongols and could not turn their backs.
Quickly, the knights finished routing the longbowmen and came back around, heading for the rear of the Arabian Macemen. Surrounded, the Arabs fought with valour and bravery, but they were cut to pieces. The day belonged to Mongolia again.
After the victory, Kachiun gave a congratulatory speech, and his soldiers, many thousands of them still there were, cheered their commander. They chanted his name, and the Khan’s brother realised that, with such a force utterly loyal to him, he was indeed a powerful man at last.
Some men would have used that power to make a play for the Empire, challenging the Khan’s mandate to rule. With over 30 000 men and a good commander, there might have been a good chance as well. The Khan was out of the empire marching down to the edge of the world, where the Arabs dwelt still. That was far from here.
But the brother of Genghis did not seek attention or power. As has already been said, he was of different mettle to the Khan.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 181
1610AD

Genghis is interrupted again

ELIZABETH: Right, Genghis, here’s my proposal. You assist our advancements against the abominable Aztecs, and I’ll owe you one for sure.
GENGHIS: Sorry, Liz, but I am conducting a crusade of my own construction currently.
ELIZABETH: I’ll owe you two favours?
GENGHIS: I don’t need favours, especially from empires so weak as England.
ELIZABETH: You might regret that Genghis.

Elizabeth exits, but Huayna Capac comes through the yurt door as soon as she leaves.

HUAYNA: A friend in need is a friend indeed, my Khan.
GENGHIS: If that’s true, I’d be better off keeping you in need. Which shouldn’t be too hard.
HUAYNA: Come on Genghis. If you just give us one tiny tech. Theology. We’ll still be in need.
GENGHIS: But where is the benefit to me?
HUAYNA: Well there is a …
GENGHIS: Bear in mind that I don’t care whatsoever about my diplomatic relations with a civilization that has a lower score than most of my vassals.
HUAYNA: Erm … fine, I can’t think of one. But can’t you be generous once in a while?
GENGHIS: I didn’t get this empire by being generous, Huayna. Goodbye.

Huayna exits.

GENGHIS: Dealing with these leaders is so tedious. It’s like listening to Griznakh spout on about culture all the time.
GRIZNAKH: My dialogues are far more interesting, my lord Khan, I really must protest! At least the subject of my orations is usually our empire.
GENGHIS: True enough, but they still suck.
KOLAI: This is how you make a speech interesting Griznakh, watch and learn. My lord, our knights in the north east have just taken the barbarian city of Sakae.
GENGHIS: Wow! That was totally unexpected! Good speech Kolai!
GRIZNAKH: That’s not fair! He talks about stuff you’re interested in, it doesn’t mean his speeches are better than mine!
GENGHIS: Look, here’s how it is; I enjoy listening to Kolai’s speeches. I have to drink twelve cups of coffee to keep myself awake during yours. That speaks for itself.

The argument went on and on in the same vein until, after Genghis threatened to feed him to the jungle creatures is he kept arguing, Griznakh yielded to the Khan’s skilful arguments.
The time had also come for Genghis to implement his new government changes: Emancipation and State Property. This did not go down well with the rich landowners and nobles of the Mongolian Empire. They protested for the better part of 10 years and stirred up riots in the cities. The empire was plunged into anarchy. Genghis, meanwhile, had decided he was just going to ignore it and wait until everyone calmed down. He kept on towards the city of Najran. In 1625, his army reached the city and captured it after a month-long siege. Afterwards, there was a meeting to discuss the situation.

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 157
1625AD

A council meeting takes place in Najran. All advisors are present, except for Kolai, who has left for the home provinces.

GENGHIS: So now we have Najran. Where to now Ishak?
ISHAK: Well my Khan, you have a choice.
GENGHIS: A choice? Well which choice ends the war quickest? Do that.
IALBUK: Neither would, to our knowledge. The dilemma is this: To the north, there is an Arabian stronghold: Baghdad. And to the south, there is another Arabian stronghold: Kufah. Which do we go for first?
GENGHIS: Both!
IALBUK: Ok, but you can’t lead both armies.
GENGHIS: Damn! Ok, so why don’t we go north first.
IALBUK: Then the Arabian armies from the south might make a counterattack, sire.
GENGHIS: Well it’s the same either way, isn’t it?
IALBUK: It is.
GENGHIS: Hmm. Ok, I’ve changed my mind. We’ll leave a decent garrison here to block the pass, and head south to the weaker city Kufah and raze it. Then we’ll come back and go the other way.
IALBUK: Really?
GENGHIS: YES! Don’t question my genius Ialbuk.

And so it was decided. Genghis plunged further into the south with his main force, leaving a force of about 8000 Musketmen to defend the walls of Najran.
Shortly afterwards, Louis caught up with the Mongol army and met with Genghis.

1630AD

LOUIS: My lord Khan! What a pleasure it is to meet with you again!
GENGHIS: Louis, how’s things?
LOUIS: Great, just great. So great, in fact, that I’m in a position to offer you a deal!
This is a deal fit for a Khan!
GENGHIS: I’ll be the judge of that.
LOUIS: Naturally, naturally. See, I have a tech, Military Tradition, that you don’t have. It’s a good one too; allows access to upgrades for your knights.
GENGHIS: Really? Ialbuk?
IALBUK: Erm, yeah it does sire. I was actually going to start work on it next turn, no really, I was. It’s a useful tech.
LOUIS: Verrry useful. And it can be yours, in return for Education! Oh, and I’ll throw in, get this, 700 Gold to sweeten the deal! That’s a small fortune!
GENGHIS: Hmm, to me, that sounds alright. Ialbuk! Where’s the catch?
IALBUK: Not sure there is one actually sire. Which is weird.
LOUIS: I’m for real.
GENGHIS: Ok, how about this. I agree to the deal, if you tell me the catch straight afterwards. Yes?
LOUIS: Erm … right, sure, OK then.
GENGHIS: Ha! There’s no way I’m agreeing to it now! You just admitted there was a catch!
LOUIS: No I didn’t, I just … oh, for god’s sake, there is NO BLOODY CATCH! Alright?
GENGHIS: Well jeez. You didn’t have to shout. Try and act like a grown-up. And I’ll take the deal. Cheers. Now goodbye.
LOUIS: Au … revoir … Genghis.

Louis exits.

GENGHIS: I still find it hard to believe there was NO catch.
IALBUK: It can happen occasionally sire.

To be continued …

Sorry that part wasn't as long as previous but I've been fairly busy this week and decided to post what I had rather than make you guys wait a few more days :mischief:.
Next part will finish off this war for definite. Look out for it next Sunday.

Your writing style has improved a good deal, since the beginning of this story. Especially when compared to your previous ones. Flattery aside, I'm also interested in what you have in store for the Khan's brother... I'm guessing Genghis is going to have to make some dificult choices about the future of the Empire, perhaps as a result of something his sibling will be involved with. I'll definetly be sticking around to find out.
Anyway, thank you for another interesting update and keep honing those writing skills. :)

Thanks guys :). Yep, Kachiun is going to get more involved very soon ... quite how I can't say why. I'm also thinking of how to bring other characters into the story to make it more interesting. Appreciate the comments.

MilTrad and 700 gold in exchange for education? Nice... the only catch I could think of is if Louis is trying to get Liberalism and already has philosophy (which is stupid, since IIRC you already got to Liberalism, right?)

XIII - A Crusade of Sorts

Part III

After Louis’s trade had been negotiated, a messenger entered, his face streaked with sweat after a long ride. He had come far; indeed, he had come from the army of Kachiun, which by now was back in Persepolis drilling and preparing for the next crusade. He came with news of the victory of Genghis’s brother over the garrison of Medina, news of which had not yet, remarkably, reached the Khan’s army in the far south. The messenger’s problems in reaching his destination had mainly lay with the false trails Genghis had set for Arab spies; for instance, in Najran he had made it publically quite clear that he was heading north, to Baghdad, next, before proceeding to disappear in the middle of the night south with his army. Also, he thought, there were no clear tracks or roads, which didn’t help. He had spent great lengths of time hacking through a section of jungle, only to be presented with a sheer cliff at the end of it, forcing him back. Thus, it was only now that the messenger reached the Khan.

MESSENGER: I bring great news from your brother, great Khan.
GENGHIS: Kachiun? Has he triumphed over Medina yet?
MESSENGER: ‘Twas many years ago now sire, but yes. He has won a resounding victory, and his troops hail him as a mighty leader.

Genghis frowned

GENGHIS: Surely, though, his troops realise that it was my brilliance in organising the empire and providing funds for them that truly won the day?
MESSENGER: If you ask me, sire, soldiers never remember that kind of stuff! Ahem, most important though it is, sire, of course. No, they don’t appreciate that, rather, they appreciate your brother’s generosity in splitting his share of the plunder with them! He has truly won their loyalty, if you ask me, my lord.

Genghis stroked his beard thoughtfully. This was not the kind of thing he wanted to hear. Kachiun had fully one third of the Empire’s mobile offensive forces under his command, a total of no less than thirty-five thousand men. If they indeed valued their loyalty to his brother over loyalty to their Khan, especially whilst the Khan was campaigning so far from the Empire’s boundary, events could overtake him. Kachiun might usurp the throne unopposed, and it would be years before Genghis heard.
And by then, Kachiun could have secured his position and fortified the Empire for the inevitable attack by Genghis.
He needed to consult with Ialbuk, he decided, get a second opinion.

GENGHIS: Messenger, if I asked you about my brother’s possible motives for being so generous with his plunder, what would you respond?

The messenger frowned briefly at the strange wording of his lord’s question, but he was tired after days in the saddle and let it pass.

MESSENGER: He is a good man in my view, sire. He wants to thank them, show them his appreciation for their valour.
GENGHIS: I see. Ok, dismissed.

The messenger exited, glad to be dismissed and thinking about nothing but the good, cold beer he was going to have once he returned to Najran.
Back inside the army yurt, Genghis called Ialbuk to him, and proceeded to relay the conversation with the messenger to his scientific advisor. Ialbuk stiffened when he caught what Genghis was implying might occur.

GENGHIS: I need another opinion. What do you think?
IALBUK: It hardly sounds like your brother, sire. Seizing power of the Empire! He is a shy man, and I find it hard to believe he would want such a responsibility.
GENGHIS: True, but he did accept command of an army this war, after refusing so many other times. What if he’s secretly changed?
IALBUK: Hmmph. I doubt it sire. Although, thinking about it, you could hardly ask for a better opportunity; I mean, your lordship is far away, campaigning, he has a great army utterly loyal to him …
GENGHIS: Exactly! I can’t take the risk. I want you to become a spy again, and go to Persepolis. If you suspect my brother is making a move, or if he does, you are to ride back at once. Otherwise, stay there until I return.
IALBUK: I see, sire. I’ll leave immediately.
GENGHIS: Oh, and if you get the opportunity, kill him.

Ialbuk, who had turned to leave, stopped short. He span back round in shock.

IALBUK: Pardon? Sire?
GENGHIS: Only if he … you know, appropriates the Empire. And only if you get a chance.
IALBUK: Sire, I’ll want those orders in writing.
GENGHIS: I’ll get them to your yurt later today. Now go and prepare. I’m trusting you.

Ialbuk left the yurt, wondering, in the name of all that was sacred, what deep s**t he had gotten himself into now.
Later that day, his written orders from Genghis tucked safely in his saddlebag with the rest of his essential belongings, he mounted his horse, and rode for Persepolis.
It was always him, he reflected bitterly, that the Khan turned to whenever a problem turned up. True, at first he had relished the challenge, volunteering to turn spy and go and investigate what had turned out to be Indian treachery, but eventually he had tired of all the things Genghis had had him do. He had had to entrust more and more research to Professor Jun and his team of scientists as his duties increased, which saddened him, as he loved research.
Organising the government had been a tedious process, although his diligence showed in the efficient Mongol administration. Now, there were provincial governors elected by their subjects, not Genghis, which tended to lead to more capable men holding more power. The city governors were also now elected. As a result, the Mongol Empire was truly a productive nation.
The worst of it, though, had been organising Genghis’s protection during that stupid campaign against the Scimitar, which had barely succeeded. That had been time-consuming and boring in the extreme. It was because of duties like this, he wearily acknowledged, that he was now primarily seen not as the head of all scientific research and development throughout the Empire, but rather as Genghis’s most loyal and trusted servant. Genghis’s lapdog. Genghis’s minion.

And so, as Ialbuk rode north through the plains, he felt resentful and embittered towards the Khan, who so long ago had chosen him, against all odds, to be on his council, despite his previous convictions.

The Khan, who Ialbuk would never see again.

1645AD

Ialbuk arrived in Persepolis just ahead of Kachiun’s slow moving army, whom he had seen on the road a few days ago, and skirted round, taking a different ford across the river. A few days later Kachiun himself arrived in the city to a thronging crowd of admirers, and the city’s population was swelled by thirty-five thousand soldiers, exhausted but rich. No wonder the city welcomed him like a Khan.

A month later, news swept into the city, delivered by a fleet of merchants from the Far East. The Lord Kolai had amassed a force of twenty-thousand, and, by virtue of the imperial fleet, he had taken them into the seas around the Philipelagos islands, searching for Arabian cities. He had already met with success. The citadel of Basra had fallen to his forces.

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 163
Lightly defended by only a couple of hundred Swordsmen, it had stood no chance, according to the merchants. The great news added to the celebratory atmosphere around the city and, from his lodgings, Ialbuk observed the people’s mood, and Kachiun lapping it all up, staging events to celebrate the Empire, which gained him the people’s favour. He was beginning to think that these events were not purely motivated by generosity and elation at the Empire’s achievements. He resolved that he needed to get closer, and so, he obtained a place on Kachiun’s wife’s staff, a place made vacant by the horrific and unexpected apparent suicide of a porter just days before. Ialbuk regretted the act, but the stakes were high. Besides, he risked the Khan’s wrath if he did nothing, he reasoned.

=====================================================================

On the same day as Ialbuk became a porter, many thousands of miles away near the southern coast of Eastern Afrika, or Akirfa in the Mongol tongue, Genghis did battle with the Arabs of Kufah.
Again heavily outnumbered and poorly equipped, and without any pay in months, the morale of the Arabs was almost non-existent. The fight lasted only three hours before they had had enough. They ran, and were cut down. The Mongol losses were incredibly small.
Genghis returned from his speech to his cheering soldiers to his yurt, where his two advisors, Ishak and Griznakh, were waiting for him.

GENGHIS: See? The admiration of thousands of men like that is enough for any man to start harbouring ambitions.
GRIZNAKH: Perhaps for some, sire, but not your brother, if I’m any judge of character.
GENGHIS: Which you’re not, and I’m doomed.
ISHAK: Like, chillax, sire. Nothin’ ain’t gonna happen, and, like, Ialbuk will sort it out if it does kick off and that. Oggy was like, “that Ialbuk, he’s sure one …
GENGHIS: Shut UP! Seriously. Anyway, I suppose it was a great victory today.
GRIZNAKH: Precisely! Magnificent stuff. The way those Arabs squealed …
GENGHIS: … reminded me of you when you see a plate of honey cakes.
GRIZNAKH: Oh really, Genghis …
GENGHIS: Yes really, Griznakh! Any visitors I have to deal with?

Catherine enters the yurt

CATHERINE: Eet eez I, ze greatest queen in ze vorld!
GENGHIS: Yeah, but I ain’t a queen, remember.
CATHERINE: Naturally, Genghis, as you lack even the refinement of a badly-mannered sow.
GENGHIS: If you’re trying to sweet talk me, you’re doing an unusually bad job of it, you know.
CATHERINE: Ha! That is because I ‘ave no need for obsequiousness, Genghis. This … tiny donation that I am requesting is nothing to you. You will grant it without a second’s thought.
GENGHIS: Oh really?
CATHERINE: I mean, Steel is old news to you, right? Old technology, fit only for use as a handout to preserve ze cordial attitudes of lesser leaders, yes?
GENGHIS: Listen up baby, these Cannons here are state-of-the-art. Incredibly advanced siegecraft, with devastating power Trebuchets cannot hope to match. I am not going to reveal to you their secrets for free!
CATHERINE: Oh fine. But don’t come to Russia looking for handouts, you jerk.

Catherine exits the yurt

GENGHIS: Hee-hee! That was fun.

Late that night, his wife, Moedlyn, sleeping soundly beside him in the bed, Kachiun lay awake, his mind whirling.
He had watched the new servant moving chairs from a balcony on the first floor. The servant had not seen him, perhaps, being Mongol, he was not used to stone houses with upper floors, and so he had not observed Kachiun. It had only taken Genghis’s brother half a minute to place the man, even disguised as he was. Ialbuk Azzabolanai had a distinctive gait and prominent nose, and Kachiun knew the man better than most. Turning away, Kachiun had realised that his brother suspected that something was up, and had sent his faithful servant to spy on him. He felt a fury build up inside him. How could his brother suspect him? He had done nothing wrong! He had always served him loyally, despite being the elder!
As soon as the fury had come, it was gone. For Kachiun knew it that Genghis’s suspicions were not wholly irrational, or incorrect, for that matter. Kachiun himself of course held no ambition of being Khan. He was content to serve his brother.
His wife, however, had other plans.
Kachiun turned gently underneath the covers and gazed at his wife. Conflicting emotions inside him threatened to spill out into tears as he just lay there gazing at her, his heart torn.
Moedlyn wanted him to rise up against his brother. She had told him, so many times; how he would never get a better opportunity, how it was his birthright, as the elder son, how he would bring prosperity and peace to the Mongol people. She was from an ancient line of wealthy and well respected Mongol nobles, and she had used her wealth to secure the support of no less than eleven newly-elected governmental officials, among them the corrupt and debt-ridden governor of the Mespote, Afrab Qutugh, a powerful and influential man indeed in the Mongol Empire. They would welcome him as Khan, apparently. He had been outraged at this. How could she not see that it hurt him for his name to be associated as such with bribery? Did she not understand?
She had pressured him into giving the donative to the troops too; coerced him into holding the celebrations in Persepolis in glory of the Empire. She could ask him to do anything and he would do it, simply because he loved her, so very dearly. But now he had found one thing he wouldn’t do; he wouldn’t take up arms against his brother for the Empire. He wouldn’t! They had argued long into the night again, and it had ended badly. It hurt him dearly to see her so angry at him.
What could he do? And so Kachiun’s mind whirled again, and again, trying to find a solution. Normally something he was so good at! But this situation was, he thought, untenable.
Eventually, he resolved to speak to Ialbuk in the morning. Maybe he could see a way out of this mess. It couldn’t do any harm, he decided, turning over, searching for sleep.

Ialbuk was carrying logs into the storeroom, a strenuous and monotonous task that would take him all morning and get him no closer to finding out exactly what plans existed, he grumbled to himself as he struggled into the storeroom with the first batch of heavy timbers in his arms.
He put them down and was just about to exit to retrieve the next batch when he noticed, sitting on a stool, twelve feet away, looking directly at him, the Lord Kachiun. The very man he had been sent to covertly spy upon. Ialbuk felt a stirring in the pit of his stomach, feeling very apprehensive all of a sudden as Kachiun beckoned him over. Had he been recognised? Almost certainly, and Kachiun’s first few words dispelled any doubts.
“Tell me, how is my brother?” Kachiun asked.
“My lord, he is in fine health, and is taking pleasure in wiping out the Arabs down in Akirfa”, Ialbuk responded carefully, his guts churning. “You know the Khan”.
Kachiun laughed. “Yes, I know my brother well! Almost as well as you know him, perhaps”.
He paused. “I know why you are here. And I want to talk”.
Despite himself, Ialbuk relaxed slightly. He had never really suspected Kachiun, whom he respected as a wise and honourable man, had come there to kill him. But you could never be sure.
Kachiun spoke again. “Genghis seeks to discover whether I plot against him in an attempt to usurp his throne as Khan and take the helm of the Empire. Am I right?”
“The thought has crossed your mind, then?” Ialbuk hated himself for saying that to Kachiun. He personally thought the man harboured no such ambitions, and this was not likely to maintain, as he had hoped, cordial relations with Genghis’s brother. But, like it or not, he had to probe.
A spasm of irritation flickered across Kachiun’s face, but it was gone within a heartbeat. “I do not want to be Khan. Never have I wanted to, never shall I want to. But your presence here means one thing only”.
He leaned back. “You have to admit, it would be the perfect opportunity, though. My brother far beyond the reaches of the Empire. My troops, loyal to me and no other man. I am certainly in a position to have a reasonable chance of taking the throne.”
As Kachiun spoke, Ialbuk examined his face, his eyes, in particular, for any clues as to whether he was lying. He did not think so. Kachiun talked about the suspected plot with detached amusement, yet there was something in his voice that made Ialbuk uneasy.
At last, Kachiun finished pontificating. “Your suspicions, Ialbuk, are, as it turns out, completely justified. There is a plot to install me in the Khan’s place”.
“What?” cried Ialbuk. “But you just said you did not want to be Khan!”
“I don’t” said Kachiun, “but … Can I trust you not to report this back to Genghis?”
“It depends” said Ialbuk. His mind was spinning. “On what this is, really”.
“I see” said Kachiun. He seemed to be making a very difficult decision in his mind. Finally he elaborated. “You see, I have actually come here today for your help and guidance. I hope you, wise man as I know you are, will know what to do”.
Ialbuk had not been expecting that and merely nodded as Kachiun went on, his mind refusing to accept what it was being told.
“The plot against my brother” Kachiun said, “is headed by my wife, Moedlyn. In addition, she has bribed a number of high-ranking officials to smooth the path to my becoming Khan. Now” as he continued, his eyes became moist, “I love my wife very, very much. I also love my brother very, very much. But I cannot see a way out of this that doesn’t result in my losing one of them. She keeps threatening to leave me if I do not participate in the plot, and her pressuring has become more and more urgent. If I do nothing, soon she will leave me. But I will not take up arms against my brother!” he said fiercely, standing up suddenly, and striding about. Ialbuk merely sat there and watched him. After a few minutes, Kachiun calmed down, and sat back on the stool. “So I ask you, Ialbuk” he said, “What should I do?”
And Ialbuk, thinking fiercely, had no answer. Eventually, he advised him, awkwardly stumbling over his words, to stay loyal to his brother, and in the meantime, hope for a solution to present itself to him. He assured him that he would also think about the matter. The answer was clearly a disappointment to Kachiun, but he expressed his thanks. The two men stood up, and then, shook hands.

From the doorway, realising the conversation was over, a servant slipped away quietly but swiftly, and went to report everything to his mistress.

They came to the inn after dark, after Ialbuk had settled in the night, his brain still occupied with extracting Kachiun from his mess. Having written a dispatch to the Khan outlining the situation, with an emphasis on his brother’s innocence in the matter, he was lying in bed, unable to sleep, still thinking about the situation. Eventually he had dozed off, the fatigue acquired from a tiring day overcoming his mind at last.
Then he was wide awake again as he was dragged brutally out of his bed and dumped on the floor. A torch was lit and Ialbuk, lying on his back on the hard stone floor, raised a hand to shield his eyes. He couldn’t see anything in the bright light.
“What d’you want?” cried Ialbuk. His voice sounded pitiful, even to his ears.
“Are you spying for the Khan?” a coarse voice demanded to know.
“What? Don’t be absurd!” lied Ialbuk, but it was far from convincing. He abruptly doubled up as he was punched in the stomach, winding him, which meant that he tried to cry out in pain but couldn’t.
A second voice murmured. “Just kill the bastard. Why take a risk?”
“Hmm” grunted the first voice. “You’re right, I suppose”.
“No!” cried Ialbuk, but too late. He was vaguely aware of a knife appearing beside his face, then red gushing from his throat.
Then it all went black.

“I killed your little spy friend as well!” shouted Moedlyn.
Kachiun had been on the verge of yelling a retort, having pre-empted what she was going to say, but the startling news caught him off balance. That’s bad, he thought, but his mind seemed to be withholding from him how bad it was. He stood there, swaying from side to side, gazing at his wife, his mouth agape like a fool. His wife stood with her arms folded, smirking at his obvious astonishment. Her face registered not the slightest jot of remorse, rather, she was revelling in her achievement, it seemed to Kachiun, who felt like he was an observer, trapped, watching Hell itself absorbing into the world. He was only dimly aware of his surroundings; the only figure that was sharp in his vision was his wife, standing there like a cruel goddess, almost enjoying making him squirm. She decided to rub it in deeper.
“That’s right, he’s dead. He can’t help you now, you stupid, stupid moron! Now, for god’s sake, get some damn sense!” And with that, inflamed in cold passion as she was, Moedlyn raised her hand and slapped her husband viciously around the cheek.
Kachiun’s skin stung from the hit, and a ret blot appeared on his cheek; blood seeping out. He slowly raised his hand, and touched it.
Then his mind jolted to a conclusion.
He loved his wife. But this was not the woman he had married.
This was surely some demon that had cruelly infected his beloved.
He turned and fled. He needed to get away.
Behind him, his brain faintly registered Moedlyn the demon shrieking “Stop him! For god’s sake, stop him!” Then there was the clinking of men in armour running after him.

Kachiun practically jumped down the stairs and out of the front door. He needed to get out of the city, and fast. For that, he needed a horse. He ran off round to the back of the house where the stables were, marvelling at how clearly and logically his brain was functioning now, even under this intense stress. Survival instincts.
He found five horses, all unsaddled, but there was no time to saddle one. He leapt on and quickly galloped round the side of the house, intending to make his way down the main street.
But then a band of guards appeared and, seeing him, they fanned out, blocking his way. Their swords were drawn as they ran towards him, yelling for him to stop. Kachiun abruptly turned his horse and made for the other side of the house, but there, too, a band of men was advancing, blocking his way. Panicking, he rode back round to the rear of the house. He needed to get away quickly, before his wife summoned more guards to trap him.
Only one way was apparent.
In a mad rush, Kachiun galloped over to the back door, leant down and jerked it open. Either side of him, men were yelling and pointing, their comrades rushing towards him. Kachiun then took his horse into the kitchens, the horse neighing and bucking. It was not used to being ridden indoors!
Maids were there, washing up. They screamed as Kachiun’s horse jumped over the tables and ducked out of the way. The horse knocked pots and cutlery to the floor in its mad bid to clear all the tables and reach the door on the far side. Kachiun could see it was shut, and he would have to charge it. Then men came pouring in through the back door, shoving the maids aside in a bid to catch up with the horse. Kachiun charged the door and it splintered as his horse galloped through it into the hallway.
He saw his wife at the end of the hallway. She ran to the door, howling “No! Don’t do it!” As she reached the open door, she reached across, desperately trying to pull it shut.
Kachiun’s horse crashed into her like a juggernaut and sent her sprawling to the ground, but that was ok, he thought, because she was surely a demon, and demons are not subject to physical pain. He fleetingly saw blood seeping out onto her dress as she crumpled there, knocked unconscious, but there was no time. He was already outside.
Two men blocked the gateway to the mansion. They were the only two who had managed to run back round the outside of the mansion in time and posed little threat. Kachiun kept his horse at full gallop and the men, realising he was not about to stop, dived for cover before Kachiun’s horse charged past, racing down the main street. They turned a corner and were out of sight by the time four men rode up on the remaining horses, holding spears like javelins. All they saw was an empty street in front of them. No point in going after him. They turned, and went back to see how their mistress was.

Kachiun reached the walls and was let through without any questions. Once outside, he breathed a sigh of relief, although the reality of what he had done had still to sink in. He made his way to the army barracks and roused his second-in-command, a squat, bull-like veteran named Nacer. He told Nacer to secure the city and not to let anyone in or out until he returned, and also, if possible, to find his wife and capture her, holding her for when he returned. He was likely to be a while, he explained. He had some urgent news to report to his brother. Nacer, a sharp man despite his appearance, quickly grasped the gravity of the situation and by the time Kachiun had ridden a mile the whole army was at arms and securing the walls and gates. By the time dawn broke, and Kachiun, far away above the city, dared to look back, he saw what reminded him of a city under siege. He breathed heavily. Nacer would not fail him. Thanks to his own wife’s designs, the troops were loyal to him alone and would obey his orders. Moedlyn would not escape.

Then he recalled what Moedlyn had said, and only now did it suddenly make sense, shocking him suddenly into reality. A sudden wave of nausea overwhelmed him, and he vomited the contents of his stomach onto the ground. Dizzy, he guided his horse a little way off the track, and then dismounted, where he slumped down against a rock, and slept until nightfall, when he recommenced his ride south, to meet with his brother.

Top Bottom