2 new AA guns

Dual said:
Wow, those models look great! They look like units that might had come with the game. :goodjob:

The units that came with the game don't come near the units sharick made here.

sharick said:
2. German 8,8cm FlaK - AA version (AT will follow shortly). I guess it can be used as a generic heavy AA gun because other designs look more or less similar.

The flak 88 and the AT 88 are the same thing. All you had to do to fire at armor with the 88 was to lower the barrel so you're pointing its nasty end at the tank instead of the air. So, no need to make a new unit :D

In fact, the Bofors could be used to fire at ground targets as well, it just didnt have anywhere near the effectiveness of the 88.

@paasky: The Bofors is light AA (40mm)

@Paasky
I thought about doing some kind of heave MG for light AA but these would be super light AA and rather ineffective. Maybe if you do 3 AA upgrades - MG, Bofors, 88 than I'll do this unit.

richieelias said:
The flak 88 and the AT 88 are the same thing
I know but it looks awkward to attack tanks when the 88 gun is pointing up. I want to do one more: on wheels, with horizontal gun, crew protection and some fancy camo.

Yeah, I just hope modders dont try and put them both in as seperate units, forcing people to build an AA version and an AT version :p

There was a dedicated '88 for the Anti-Tank role.

It was the Pak43.

There was also the Pak40, utilizing 75mm guns. These were far more common yet still able to punch through the front armor of all but the heaviest allied tanks, and even then could do so with proper shot placement.

Late in the war, there were developments for the Pak44, utilizing a monstrous 128mm gun. The 128mm gun was originally made for heavy AA emplacements, but it was also made the main armament for the Jagdtiger heavy tank destroyer. The Pak44 came in real late and was rare when the war ended.

ah... by the way:

> How do you do that "polycount". I must be blind. I cannot find it. (i have 3dsmax7)

Notarzt said:
How do you do that "polycount". I must be blind. I cannot find it.
Right side panel - Utilities - More... - Polygon Counter

@Paasky - to tell the truth I don't know what the recommended scale is. I always have problems with it but for all my recent units I set the scale in CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml to 1.0 and that's how you see it on screenshot.
To unit makers - if you have problems with scale - Utilities - Reset XForm - very useful.

sharick said:

Uh oh. Ok, found it. It gives something between 2000 and 4500 for my units. Any tricks how to reduce that count?

I had problems with high poly counts in the beginning too. Here are some good tricks (if you don't already know them):

1. Delete all of the polys on the underside of the model. There can be several dozen under there.

2. Any completely flat surfaces made up of many polys can usually be made into the same shape with less.

3. When you make your model, try starting out from a simple shape. For example, my SdKfz 251 started out as a single box that was pulled and pushed into it's final shape. Also check out my Ju87 preview thread. The fuselage started out as a single cylinder.

4. At any joints make sure to delete the shared polys.

Basically you just need to scrimp and save. Use the polys where they matter (near curved surfaces) and not where they won't be noticed. Also keep in mind that small details on the model can be removed and represented in the texture, as they won't be noticable.

Hope this helps,

-Smitty

Reminds me of the FLAK gun in Civ3 , Ahh good times, good times.:lol:

sharick said:

@Paasky - to tell the truth I don't know what the recommended scale is. I always have problems with it but for all my recent units I set the scale in CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml to 1.0 and that's how you see it on screenshot.
To unit makers - if you have problems with scale - Utilities - Reset XForm - very useful.

I also remeber you saying that the meter-scale in 3dsmax is a guide. That infantry units which are about 1.8m are 1.8m in 3dsmax & the scale in civ is therefore 1.0? If so, it would be a good guideline for all future units.

EDIT: While my net was gone, I did a lot of new unit-models, would you like them: (Pz3, Wespe, Crusader, Katyusha & Gaz-5)? I also did a lot of aircraft (Blenheim, Fw-190. Fw-200 Condor, Gladiator, Hurricane Mk.2 & La-7). All have a polycount of 600-900.

snafusmith said:
I had problems with high poly counts in the beginning too. Here are some good tricks (if you don't already know them):

1. Delete all of the polys on the underside of the model. There can be several dozen under there.

2. Any completely flat surfaces made up of many polys can usually be made into the same shape with less.

3. When you make your model, try starting out from a simple shape. For example, my SdKfz 251 started out as a single box that was pulled and pushed into it's final shape. Also check out my Ju87 preview thread. The fuselage started out as a single cylinder.

4. At any joints make sure to delete the shared polys.

Basically you just need to scrimp and save. Use the polys where they matter (near curved surfaces) and not where they won't be noticed. Also keep in mind that small details on the model can be removed and represented in the texture, as they won't be noticable.

Hope this helps,

-Smitty

Thanks a lot!

2 Nozarzt

let me also give u some tips how to reduce amount of polygons :

1) make sure u convert , after u done shaping, your parts into editable polys, this may reduce polycount significantly.

2 Aplly " Vetex weld " to figures also when u finished to change them and tweak threshold

@ Notarzt - there's a quick one from me. Select you high poly, apply Optimize (Mapping Fix) modifier, set Face Thresh ~30. Pray :mischief:

I do have a question...

In so many threads i read "UU", but what does that mean?!?

Please tell me, and yes I am a new here! ;-)

OK, thats exactly what I am looking for,

so my question is, what do I have to do, to build a unit which is only available for germany...

thx

Top Bottom