2 new districts

I think a Law Enforcement District or Medical District are coming sometimes soon, but probably not in this expansion. Whatever this secret 5th district is, it's probably a Utility district like the Neighbourhood and Aqueduct.

I think a Law Enforcement District or Medical District are coming sometimes soon, but probably not in this expansion. Whatever this secret 5th district is, it's probably a Utility district like the Neighbourhood and Aqueduct.

It still feels very likely it's a future era district. We've seen virtually all the "base" tech and culture trees before the future era, so it's not going to be something like a "military harbor" since we would have seen it already most likely. Wouldn't surprise me if it was some sort of "Arcology" district. I could see this as potentially being viable for any victory type too - needing it before the last space project, as the thing that you launch off to finish the science victory, or as some sort of "ascend to transcendence" type district/project for culture victory, or even as some futuristic place where people of all types exist together, as the "final" step in a diplomatic victory.

Idea: the missing district is a combined diplomacy district (perhaps named "Diplomatic Quarter") and espionage district.

Maybe that's the Ottoman UD - harem district.

If you can manage an imperial seraglio you can manage anything...

What ever it is; it's either got some very specific requirements (like locked under an unknown city state) or is very very late in the game or there is only one of in the whole game - otherwise we would of seen it in the live streams already... That or they patched it out of the live streams so we don't see it yet?

What ever it is; it's either got some very specific requirements (like locked under an unknown city state) or is very very late in the game or there is only one of in the whole game - otherwise we would of seen it in the live streams already... That or they patched it out of the live streams so we don't see it yet?

I'm pretty sure they have the ability to lock features out of the livestream. We have seen the Great Bath on and off and on again.

I'd like to see a landfill site as a new common district. It would act quite well with the GS main theme about the planet and natural environment. A lot of buildings could appear there: a garbage dump or a treatment plant or a recycling center etc. for slowing the global warming progress or reducing amount of resources required for units.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they have the ability to lock features out of the livestream. We have seen the Great Bath on and off and on again.

For Wonders, that's easy to lock out. But I'm not sure it would be nearly as easy to lock out an entire district from the build. Often they're too inter-twined with other game features that you can't just disable them.

How about a district necessary for the Culture Victory ? We have to build spaceport and do 5 projects for SV, but nothing for CV (unless you count national parks, but they're not necessary at all...)
The Utopia District ala Civ 5's (vanilla) Utopia Project ;)

Maybe that Mississippi mound is a district instead?
I could see maybe a Burial District that initially appears as a mound, but later, graphically, morphs into a cemetery/graveyard. It could give Faith (honoring our dead) and Food (not having dead bodies lying around helps prevent plagues, thus higher population).

Keep in mind that this district, as for the count, is not going to have buildings.^^

That's an interesting observation. Good catch.

On face value, a "spy district" sure sounds super-dumb.

When you consider that espionage begins in the Renaissance Era and includes such activities as literally stealing money from your treasury, why would an espionage-focused district be so out of place? Say it has a Constabulary, Police Station, and Intelligence Agency (by another name, of course, since the Government Plaza already has a building called this). These buildings or the citizens working them could increase the speed at which you build spies, increase spy capacity, increase spy effectiveness, or provide passive counterintelligence to the city or empire. That doesn't strike me as "super-dumb".

GS is about the interaction with land, right? What do all cities have that take up a lot of space that don't have any buildings on that are to do it with the land?

Spoiler Spolier - but not really... :
A Nice Leafy Park District that improves everyone's happiness and improves the CO2. Nice and cheap to build too.

I could see maybe a Burial District that initially appears as a mound, but later, graphically, morphs into a cemetery/graveyard. It could give Faith (honoring our dead) and Food (not having dead bodies lying around helps prevent plagues, thus higher population).

And of course, cannibalism.

I am surprised there is no diplomatic type district, or conversely a security district in the game so far

I too am surprised that there's no diplomatic district, but I kind of feel the Government Plaza, at least thematically if not mechanically, was intended to fill this niche. As to an espionage district, I think a lack of an Intel currency or Great Spies probably doomed such a district from the outset. It could still be done, but I don't think it's something the developers feel the game needs. That's a bit of a bummer, though, because I would have loved to see what the art department could have cooked up for such a district.

How about a district necessary for the Culture Victory ? We have to build spaceport and do 5 projects for SV, but nothing for CV (unless you count national parks, but they're not necessary at all...)

I personally would find that rather banal.

I think a Law Enforcement District or Medical District are coming sometimes soon

If the Black Plague scenario is a precursor for a new outbreak emergency or a future (via expansion or patch) health system, then a medical district makes sense. Or maybe it and its buildings provide food, allowing modern cities to shift from working multiple farms for growth to passive growth from a single district.

GS is about the interaction with land, right? What do all cities have that take up a lot of space that don't have any buildings on that are to do it with the land?

Spoiler Spolier - but not really... :
A Nice Leafy Park District that improves everyone's happiness and improves the CO2. Nice and cheap to build too.
There is already a park that gives happiness, it's an improvement, however - not a district. I think it's good that way.

In all seriousness.....

The "new" district should, hopefully, be a shipyard/drydock or whatever you want to call it to represent a naval harbor. Which is to say....
  1. There should be a commerical harbor district that mirrors commerical hubs in the same way as water parks and entertainment centers mirror each other. It's an either/or proposition, both generating Great Merchant points and, of course, trade routes and purely economic buildings. Yellow CS's boost them both.

2. Then let's have a naval district that mirrors the encampment and airstrip elements of providing unit XP, some production, some housing, forming fleets and armadas, and generating points for those ever-so-beloved Great Admirals. If it gets a ranged strike, then it only targets water tiles (and, conversely, the encampment only targets land tiles). Red CS's boost them. The cothon would be a replacement for this district.

So, two separate and distinct districts that help put otherwise low-value water tiles to use, replacing the hybrid currently in place that many find so unsatisfying.

When you consider that espionage begins in the Renaissance Era and includes such activities as literally stealing money from your treasury, why would an espionage-focused district be so out of place? Say it has a Constabulary, Police Station, and Intelligence Agency (by another name, of course, since the Government Plaza already has a building called this). These buildings or the citizens working them could increase the speed at which you build spies, increase spy capacity, increase spy effectiveness, or provide passive counterintelligence to the city or empire. That doesn't strike me as "super-dumb".
Well, straight out of the gate, I always thought it odd in Civ V that it was the job of constabulary and police to catch spies. Even weirder here, because we're saying there's a district in a city with nothing in it but police, which is a further disconnect that feels like an artificial game construct. But let's go ahead and assume that is all resolved through renaming and reskinning to get something more thematic. Now, what are these building contributing to the game that warrant their own district, rather than just being packed into the city center or government plaza?

Last edited:
Now, what are these building contributing to the game that warrant their own district, rather than just being packed into the city center or government plaza?

Space. Remember that every building (save sewers) is represented graphically within its respective district and adding three new intelligence/security-themed buildings to another district is going to strain this principle. That's not to say they have to adhere to this for hypothetical intel buildings, but it is a consideration. There's also the opportunity cost. If an intel district is something players theoretically want to build, then it offers more incentive for players to grow or specialize their cities.

Hospital area (to recover from what you contracted in the hot fetid baths).

Black Market/Underground Activity District for partisans, dissenters, and other indolent, unkempt types.
You can get anything you want, and maybe Magnus!

Space. Remember that every building (save sewers) is represented graphically within its respective district and adding three new intelligence/security-themed buildings to another district is going to strain this principle. That's not to say they have to adhere to this for hypothetical intel buildings, but it is a consideration. There's also the opportunity cost. If an intel district is something players theoretically want to build, then it offers more incentive for players to grow or specialize their cities.
Well, if you really want it that bad, then the way to go is to have an embassy district which serves the dual purpose of providing both espionage and diplomatic bennies.

Top Bottom