2010 PC game of the year according to gamespy is... CiV!

SHaW1986

Prince
"While the PC is certainly undergoing a Renaissance in terms of the number and types of games that it sees these days, it's also true that certain titles and genres will always live primarily (or exclusively) on the PC. One of those, doubtless, is strategy. And when it comes to strategy, the grandaddy of 'em all is Sid Meier's famed Civilization series, of which Civ V is the latest and greatest incarnation. While it suffered on initial release from slightly boneheaded A.I., that's been pretty much fixed in the latest patches, and the game now offers so many improvements -- technical and gameplay-related -- over earlier versions that it's impossible not to rate it the best Civ yet. It's also managed to keep the core of what makes Civilization a great series: addictive gameplay, wide-open worlds, nods to history, and an improved version of its strategic warfare model. It's the pinnacle of a PC-exclusive genre, and the best PC game of 2010."

hmmm... What do ya'll think?

I think there's been some shady dealings in dimly-lit alleys between 2K and GameSpy.

"Powered by gamespy"

In more ways than one?:D

Fact that there is collaboration between the 2 entities does make it rather dubious for them to be giving awards.
And looking at their review of the release of CIV V.. lines like " In all, Civ V gets just about everything right" and "As for the multiplayer, it's virtually identical to Civ IV's" throw more suspicion into the whole affair.

i mean its a good game, theres lots of problems, STILL, theyre making it seem like every things fixed and then some... I dont know, i enjoy the game, but there are still plenty of big issues. best civ to date, not by a long shot, maybe after 2+ expansions.

i mean its a good game, theres lots of problems, STILL, theyre making it seem like every things fixed and then some... I dont know, i enjoy the game, but there are still plenty of big issues. best civ to date, not by a long shot, maybe after 2+ expansions.

Look at launch Civ IV. It was game of the year too,

And when it comes to strategy, the grandaddy of 'em all is Sid Meier's famed Civilization series, of which Civ V is the latest and greatest incarnation.
Subjective, I disagree but it's possible some believe this.
While it suffered on initial release from slightly boneheaded A.I., that's been pretty much fixed in the latest patches,
This is an outright lie. The AI is still dumb as bricks regarding pathing and 1upt.

I guess this could be true because let's be fair, most PC games these days are junk. Sorry to sound like an old fart :D ... but I mean, I think the PC's best days as a gaming platform are behind it. The future is in web apps, like Civ for Facebook, or games that run in Java inside your internet browser, etc.

"....the best PC game of 2010."

hmmm... What do ya'll think?

Never to trust a professional game reviewer again.

But its only natural. A newspaper showing a big add for a restaurant wouldnt give it 1 star and say that the food sucked in a review. Especially if the developer, eh I mean chef, has a high reputation from other games, eh I mean restaurants.

What do I think? Nothing. Nobody really takes these awards seriously in the first place, and gamespy is pretty mediocre anyways with a horrible site design.

It does however show that Civ5 isn't the "worst game ever" some people seem to think, it isn't perfect but it certainly is far from the worst.

All Gamespy is used for in Civ5 is hosting mods, thankfully, gamespy arcade isn't great for multiplayer most of the time.

The controls in civ V allow a unit to display "ranged attack", then move instead of attacking.

Civ V neglects hotkeys. Civ V has performance issues for machines above specs. Civ V advertises victory conditions, but said victory conditions are not balanced against each other.

Civ V is an incomplete game that has seen improvement enough to slowly push towards "good".

Civ V can't touch Starcraft II with any pole in existence. Sc2 has 0 control flaws, runs well according to its specs, and generally doesn't fail any of the gameplay 101 basics that V fails. When you give an input in sc2, it happens. When you give an input in civ V, it "probably" happens. There's no room for subjectivity here; one game crashed on a lot of machines on release, STILL has incorrect information displayed in the GUI, fails to execute orders properly, and can force fast players to wait for more time than they play once they're halfway into a game. The other has none of those flaws, and very few of its own.

Don't get me wrong. Civ V is improving. It still needs help, but it can be a fun game.

But to even CONSIDER giving something that was frankly released in beta form and STILL has issues over Starcraft2 is one of the biggest laughingstock jokes I've ever seen. Gamespy has been amazingly terrible before, but it's like they're TRYING to lose respect with this.

Well, they have. There are QUITE a few release titles this year superior to civ V when you simply look at how well the games run. No truly serious candidate for "game of the year" should ever force its players to fight against the controls rather than the opposition.

maybe it was 2010 PC game of the year considering only PC game powered by gamespy?

even if i didn't play it, i'm pretty sure Strarcraft 2 has to be PC game of the year

After spending the past four hours playing my new copy of Starcraft 2, I can honestly say Gamestop is just a weebit biased to games they power. :rolleyes:

Regardless of one's personal attitude towards Civ5, this here
While it suffered on initial release from slightly boneheaded A.I., that's been pretty much fixed in the latest patches, and the game now offers so many improvements -- technical and gameplay-related -- over earlier versions that it's impossible not to rate it the best Civ yet.
makes the whole action a complete joke.

I see this as a last attempt of marketing to improve the X-mas sales, the more as this award is given by a company which is making business with Firaxis/2k.

Nevertheless, I am pretty sure it will be cited as the megacritic citations in order to "show" how much superior Civ5 is to ... whatever.

After spending the past four hours playing my new copy of Starcraft 2, I can honestly say Gamestop is just a weebit biased to games they power. :rolleyes:

And we are forgetting a lot of other games, Mass Effect 2, Victoria 2, etc.. We don't need Starcraft 2 to call the statement "biased"...:lol:

Top Bottom