2013 MLB Season

It's been a tradition since '08 for speculation of the Rays moving out of St. Pete. Almost always the first thing people suggest is Montreal or the actual city of Tampa Bay as the primary destinations. This year though it actually seems to be going somewhere with Vancouver (?) and Indianapolis as players now.

Also in the realm of baseball news the Phillies are actually negotiating their new TV contract now rather then January 2015.

How would they handle the Trop? As I recall, the Rays tried to move into St. Pete properly in 2008 but the deal fell through as the Trop refused to let them out of their lease. Unless that Trop changes their mind, surely the Rays are trapped in their current situation until 2027?

How would they handle the Trop? As I recall, the Rays tried to move into St. Pete properly in 2008 but the deal fell through as the Trop refused to let them out of their lease. Unless that Trop changes their mind, surely the Rays are trapped in their current situation until 2027?

There's talk of them actually doing the rather ballsy move of suing MLB and St. Pete. That oddball supreme court case I guess will be challenged.

I thought Portland, Charlotte or Sacramento would be way more likely than Indy.

Man, I would have thought Sacramento would fall under Oakland's territorial rights...but christ...Oakland's territory is minuscule!

Man, I would have thought Sacramento would fall under Oakland's territorial rights...but christ...Oakland's territory is minuscule!
They gave a lot of their rights away to the Giants when the Giants were making noise about moving out to San Jose. Which makes the current situation pretty amusingly ironic.

They gave a lot of their rights away to the Giants when the Giants were making noise about moving out to San Jose. Which makes the current situation pretty amusingly ironic.

Yeah, I was aware of the ceding of Santa Clara County, but even so, that means Oakland's former territory was Alameda, Contra Costa, and Santa Clara Counties, which is still a pretty damn small area.

$17.5M x 2 years for tim lincecum. thoughts old boy ? seems like an overpay. but he's part the fabric over there.

watching my boy Vic for the bosox. the exuberance ! he's my kind of guy. one of my all time favorites. glad to see him doing well and silencing the haters. wishin he was still in philly :(

I miss Victorino so much. He was my 3rd favorite Phillie behind only Lee and Utley.

I cannot believe I'm actually rooting for the Sox in the WS, but I cannot in any good conscience root for St. Louis. I wanted Oakland or Detroit personally.

I'm not sure what's up with the Lincy deal honestly others are probably more qualified to offer insight on that.

I'm not sure what's up with the Lincy deal honestly others are probably more qualified to offer insight on that.

Yeah, seems like an overpay to me too for what is /ideally/ going to be a #3 starter for the next 2 years while Crick and Blackburn get developed. My thinking on this (aside from the kneejerk reaction that the Giants are dumb and do dumb things [like sign Hunter Pence to multiyear deals]) is 2 things which happened simultaneously.

1) The Giants have big needs. This became very apparent this year. Cain and Bumgarner are fantastic pitchers, and when Vogelsong is on, he's pretty damn on as well. Buuuut when they aren't the team turns to crap. We don't really have much depth, or at least, we don't have the depth it seemed we did 3 or even 1 year ago. This goes the same for our outfield. When you're having to rely on Pence, Pagan, and a revolving door of career AAAA players as what can only laughably be described as "a platoon", you have some serious problems. This issue is multiplied because The Giants effectively do not have a farm system. Brown is a bust. Panik may or may not be heading in that direction too. Hembree, Pill, Perez, Kickham, etc. are never realistically going to be more than 5th starters/bullpen/bench players, and the better of those have been struggling with injury issues. The core of our system - Crick, Blackburn, Bond, etc. are all in High-A ball and are realistically 2 or even 3 years away from seeing big league play.

2) The Giants didn't finish in the bottom 10 this year. Ostensibly the plan (which Sabean confirmed back in September) was to slide into the bottom-10, QO Pence and Lincecum, sign an outfielder (probably Choo), see what the market had for pitchers, and hopefully snag two choice 1st round draft picks (or at the very least sign Pence and Lincecum on the cheap during Spring Training). But the Giants didn't finish in the bottom-10 so the already bleak free agent market (seriously, who we got? A Halladay who may or may not be able to actually throw a ball...and don't even get me started on outfielders) became even bleaker. So the Giants got desperate and since their budget was set to increase by 20-30m this year, Lincecum and Pence suddenly became very important to the Giants staying relevant as a team and keeping that sellout streak going. So they overpaid on both of them...and the Giants will essentially be putting the same product on the field that netted them a 76-86 record. Awesome.

I forgot about the Giants finishing with a 11-13ish pick, that definitely limits the teams options. The Phils got insanely lucky at the end and slipped all the way down to 7th overall which allows them to sign Elisberry (At least that's what I'd do) as well as having the luckiest pick in the draft the past decade or so.

the question was to owen. he's all crappy about the giants yet they are the defending champs. i guess he's a 'what-have-you-done-for-me-lately' kind of guy. i can't really fault that...

No, I'm merely giving a sober assessment of where the Giants stand, and as it happens, the Giants stand on rather flimsy ground. Am I happy that the Giants have won 2 world series in 3 years? Absolutely. Does that bar me from acknowledging that a) the Giants were VERY lucky to win both of those series in the face of objectively superior teams and b) that the Giants today are kind of in a crap position, forcing them to overpay for aging mediocre players with little upside? No, not really.

No, I'm merely giving a sober assessment of where the Giants stand, and as it happens, the Giants stand on rather flimsy ground. Am I happy that the Giants have won 2 world series in 3 years? Absolutely. Does that bar me from acknowledging that a) the Giants were VERY lucky to win both of those series in the face of objectively superior teams and b) that the Giants today are kind of in a crap position, forcing them to overpay for aging mediocre players with little upside? No, not really.

You heard it here folks! The Miami Marlins will only be the 2nd worst team in the MLB next year. Someone has outdone Jeffery Loria, and that in of itself deserves the greatest applause :rolleyes:.

You heard it here folks! The Miami Marlins will only be the 2nd worst team in the MLB next year. Someone has outdone Jeffery Loria, and that in of itself deserves the greatest applause :rolleyes:.

Don't get me wrong. The Giants aren't in a good place, but at least they aren't:

Rockies
Cubs
Brewers
Mets
Phillies (lolGM)
Marlins
White Sox
Twins
Blue Jays
Yankees
Rays

well, the phils minor league system is a sort of wasteland as well. however, they will have piles and piles of cash to throw around once they get the new tv deal which will make my already ridiculous cable bill (comcast) go even higher :mad: not saying throwing $ around will cure what ails the phils...however, it can offset some stuff and at least get them into the conversation of teams ready to bid etc. i want for a better minor league system though...

well, the phils minor league system is a sort of wasteland as well. however, they will have piles and piles of cash to throw around once they get the new tv deal which will make my already ridiculous cable bill (comcast) go even higher :mad: not saying throwing $ around will cure what ails the phils...however, it can offset some stuff and at least get them into the conversation of teams ready to bid etc. i want for a better minor league system though...

All the money in the world doesn't matter when your GM is Ruben Amaro Jr.

Top Bottom