2013 MLB Season

That 5-year, 97.5 million dollar extention Adam Wainwright signed just before the start of the season is looking like a pretty good deal for the Cardinals right now. This year he seems to be all the way back from his 2011 Tommy John surgery. :)

I guess the Cardinals don't feel too bad about losing Albert Pujols to the Angels after the 2011 World Series win. They used the money they saved to extend Wainwright and Yadier Molina to 5-year extentions and they used the compensation pick they got from the Angels to draft Michael Wacha.

Total WAR for Wainwright + Molina + Wacha in 2012 & 2013: 18.5
Total WAR for Pujols in 2012 & 2013: 5.5

Actually both Molina and Wainwright individually already have a higher WAR than Pujols.
:D

Tigers advance to 3rd straight ALCS on no-hit bid by Justin Verlander!

BLEH! Let the least interesting, most objectionable Championship Series option commence. None of these teams are likeable enough to root for!!!

The A's have now lost 3 consecutive playoff series, all 3 of them to the Tigers, and 6 of their past 7 NLDS's, all 6 losses in 5 games.

Is it wrong for me to have hoped that the game would be a 19-inning marathon with the winning team going through their entire bullpen? :mischief:

Heh. Cute article. I do suspect the Cardinals might be losing some of the "2nd team love" that they previously had simply because they have been a bit too successful over the last 8 years or so. As has been said elsewhere, too many teams who were finally having "their season" have had their post-season dreams squashed by St Louis. Not the Braves (everyone knows that the Braves always find a way to lose, in this century at least). But there was certainly a feeling of "it's destiny, this really is our year" about the Brewers and the Rangers in 2011 (and maybe the Phils too?), and definitely about the Bucs this year. Hell, it's tough not to feel sorry about Pittsburgh biting the dust, and if they have succumbed to a team perceived as perennially successful, then I can understand that many neutral observers will be disappointed.

Whether it's an unusual atmosphere at St Louis or not I am particular poorly placed to tell. For a while, I honestly thought all baseball games were like the few I've been to in St Louis. It's only from reading and watching on TV that I realise that baseball is a bigger part of most folk's life in St Louis than it appears to be elsewhere in the US, without causing the bitterness and viciousness towards others which characterises, say, European football rivalries (all of them - honestly, all of them). It's a great place to watch a game.

First game against the Dodgers tonight. Not sure I can stay awake though (it's been a long week...) Glad the Tigers are through to the ALCS.

Heh. Cute article. I do suspect the Cardinals might be losing some of the "2nd team love" that they previously had simply because they have been a bit too successful over the last 8 years or so. As has been said elsewhere, too many teams who were finally having "their season" have had their post-season dreams squashed by St Louis. Not the Braves (everyone knows that the Braves always find a way to lose, in this century at least). But there was certainly a feeling of "it's destiny, this really is our year" about the Brewers and the Rangers in 2011 (and maybe the Phils too?), and definitely about the Bucs this year. Hell, it's tough not to feel sorry about Pittsburgh biting the dust, and if they have succumbed to a team perceived as perennially successful, then I can understand that many neutral observers will be disappointed.

Whether it's an unusual atmosphere at St Louis or not I am particular poorly placed to tell. For a while, I honestly thought all baseball games were like the few I've been to in St Louis. It's only from reading and watching on TV that I realise that baseball is a bigger part of most folk's life in St Louis than it appears to be elsewhere in the US, without causing the bitterness and viciousness towards others which characterises, say, European football rivalries (all of them - honestly, all of them). It's a great place to watch a game.

First game against the Dodgers tonight. Not sure I can stay awake though (it's been a long week...) Glad the Tigers are through to the ALCS.

St. Louis has a much different atmosphere than many other cities, but I've always seen it as a bit pretentious to say they are the best fans in baseball. That is coming from a Cardinals fan. It is easy to support a team that is winning. Hell, since about 2004 we've been at least fighting for a playoff spot almost every year.

I wouldn't say the 'best' fans in baseball belong to a particular team. They are the old couple who's bought season-ticket seats to Pirate's homegames for the past 20 odd years. The man who has shown up to every single Astro's game for the past 4 years. Like I said, it is easy to support a team that is almost always winning, but much harder to stand by one that has a long history of losing. Very much respect to those guys.

I don't really understand all the Cardinals hate that has spawned on the internet since game 5 though. What did people expect? We'd just give the Pirates the game? Sit back and let them win because they haven't won in a long time? Wouldn't that have just undermined the Pirates season? Thankfully, this looks like it just might be the start of a very long Cardinals dynasty. The team we have now is relatively cheap (remember the contracts of Chris Carpenter, Rafael Furcal, Jake Westbrook, and Carlos Beltran all come off the books this year.) We have the money to fill holes from free agency where needed and the farm system to keep talent pushing upwards. You all will be seeing us quite a bit in the next few years.

Well, I managed to stay awake for the first 5 innings, but by then it was 3am and I had to get some sleep. Tough loss for the Dodgers, and for Greinke in particular - he did little wrong all night. Still, the Cards had to get at least one win against Kershaw and Greinke in the series, so it's nice to get it at first time of asking.

Wacha gets the win over Kershaw :eek: Dodgers can't do anything with men in scoring position, Michael Wacha takes years off my life in the top of the 6th, and Puig looks, well, almost out-of-his depth? What's the deal there? Just overawed, or have the Cards seen something about him reaching outside the strike zone, or just unlucky? I don't believe he's just suddenly become a turkey, and there's enough games left for him to have an impact, but he just hasn't materialised as a threat so far in the series.

Wacha gets the win over Kershaw :eek: Dodgers can't do anything with men in scoring position, Michael Wacha takes years off my life in the top of the 6th, and Puig looks, well, almost out-of-his depth? What's the deal there? Just overawed, or have the Cards seen something about him reaching outside the strike zone, or just unlucky? I don't believe he's just suddenly become a turkey, and there's enough games left for him to have an impact, but he just hasn't materialised as a threat so far in the series.

No, Puig just isn't a particularly *great* player. I mean it when I say he's the second coming of Jeff Francoeur. He may have good power but his terrible plate discipline make him little different than a Juan Uribe in terms of offensive value.

I went into this series thinking we'd have a good shot if we could beat Grienke OR Kershaw and head back to LA with the series tied 1-1. Never did I expect to go in 2-0. It has started to make me wonder what our starting rotation will look like next year.

Wainwright, Miller, Lynn, Wacha, and Garcia? Then what do we do with Kelly? Gast will also be back next year as well. If I remember correctly he had some really good stuff as well. Plus, with Motte back, can we really justify keeping Rosenthal in a RP when he has the off-speed pitchers to start as well? We' have to many damn good pitchers. I would say trade them, but the only real poistion we are lacking in is SS. TBH I am going with a "Well... if Matt Carpenter can learn 2nd over the summer; let's just give him SS as well." We move Jon Jay to back up and Oscar Tavaras plays center. Craig in RF and Adams on 1B. Just imagine that:

SS M. Carpenter
CF O. Tavaras
LF M. Holliday
RF A. Craig
1B M. Adams
C Y. Molina
3B D. Freese
2B K. Wong

While I am fairly certain it WONT turn out that way. Scary looking lineup on paper, right? Not 100% certain on the Adams/Molina as I can see them flipping. I just put Adams in front of Molina because he has been batting in front of him in the recent games.

That lineup has to be simulanteously one of the best offenses and one of the worst defenses in the league.

That lineup has to be simulanteously one of the best offenses and one of the worst defenses in the league.

Yeah. Please don't hit anything to left field. Or just to the left in general. We would much appreciate it.

Wow, what a comeback. And to think I decided the game stopped being interesting when Scherzer lost the no-hitter and stopped watching.

Wow, what a comeback. And to think I decided the game stopped being interesting when Scherzer lost the no-hitter and stopped watching.

Yeah, me too. Thank god the SNF game went to [feces] just in time for me to watch Papi's slam. Also wry is probably going to hate me for stealing his thunder, but:

To be completely honest most of the people on my floor are pissed but not super upset, because the series is coming back to Detroit now and we feel another sweep in the ALCS would just have set us up for a repeat of last years World Series.

Also super impressed with the fact that people in the Red Sox bullpen completely ignored the HR to make sure Hunter was okay.

If there's a Sox, Cards WS I don't know if I could even watch a single game. I suppose I could at least root for Victorino.

Top Bottom