3:32 to load, 1:03 per turn, SLOW

civhawaii

Chieftain
How does this compare to you guys out there? This is a Standard map on epic speed. Im running:

E8400(3.6ghz)
8gb DDR2 1066
GTX260

Not the best, but by no means outdated. This is a standard map! Why is this so damn slow to load and in between turns? Is it just me?

edit: I'm sitting at around 300 turns and I only have 3 cities.

Make sure your hdd is defragmented, make sure you have the latest drivers, and before you hit next turn put the game in strategic view(it cuts 20% turn time). Beyond that I wouldn't know what to tell you.

Loading speed may be bottled at your hard drive. If you have a laptop chances are it is 5400 rpm, so will be slower than a faster 7200 or 10000 rpm drive. Fragmentation can also be a problem with this.

That being said, games should be pushing computing boundaries. Many people could not play on the larger maps when Civ IV came out.

Moderator Action: Moved to technical support where you're likely to get more help. :)

Thanks mod

Anyway Im runnning a 1TB 7200rpm hd as my data drive and a 80gb intel ssd as my OS drive. Ive ran the ssd optimizer and my data drive is recently defragmented.

I am running DX10/11, i should try running in 9, i bet thats the slowdown...

edit: nope DX9 is just as slow... and my drivers are up to date.

so your guys' turns arent taking that long?

Loading speed may be bottled at your hard drive. If you have a laptop chances are it is 5400 rpm, so will be slower than a faster 7200 or 10000 rpm drive. Fragmentation can also be a problem with this.

Shouldn't be a hard drive problem, saves for even huge maps should be a couple megs at most, which take a fraction of a second to read from the slowest drives.

Not the best, but by no means outdated. This is a standard map! Why is this so damn slow to load and in between turns? Is it just me?

I have specs pretty close to yours, and it's the same. The GTX260 works not very well with civ5.
Even people with bleeding edge systems experience massive slowdowns on larger maps lategame.

The game has to process every AI civ and CS one after another, and uses even 2 cores not very efficiently doing so :(

are you just getting slow turns, or does your screen seem to lockup?

I get tons of not responding during play from task manager running on my second monitor. at turn 371 I'm getting 4minute plus lag spikes now, plud random lag spikes lasting the same 4ish minutes.

Hopefully things get patched up quickly, but with so many issues it may take until next year to resolve things (just two months away). Hopefully I'm not being overly optimistic.

as a last resort, you could try reinstalling windows (maybe on your data drive) if it's been a while since your system was new. I reinstalled my windows just for kicks and it sped up from 3miknute lag spikes to only 2.5minute. I overclocked my processor from 2.66GHz to 4.2GHz and it cut it down to almost 2minutes a turn. but sadly it's back up to 4+ minutes a turn. make sure you try this as last resort though. It may be something as simple as spyware.

One thing wich contributes to this is how many times you load the save. I did a small test with CiV 5. Ancient time turn 20 and the memory usage is around 800kb. I load it 20 times and memory usage rises to 1.5Mb. After that I restarted the computer and tested if the memory usage would have been because of temporary files. When I reload that particular save or any saves made from that save the usage soars right up to 1.5MB and still goes up. If I load another save wich has not been saved/loaded many times but is much further in the game (Marathon speed, 1950AD, can't remember the turns) the usage is still aroun 800kb. So there is something fishy with the save files to say the least.

Core 2 Duo E6600
4gb ram (3 used)
250GTS
Vista 32bit (yeah, no joke)

Getting like 1-2min to load a huge map, and even at the very lategame on huge maps its never more than MAX 30sec per turn (often faster if the AI isnt busy).
Definetly a bug goin on, hope they fix it.

Core 2 Duo E6600
4gb ram (3 used)
250GTS
Vista 32bit (yeah, no joke)

Getting like 1-2min to load a huge map, and even at the very lategame on huge maps its never more than MAX 30sec per turn (often faster if the AI isnt busy).
Definetly a bug goin on, hope they fix it.

do you have a save of this game you can upload here? I'd like to see if my machine or settings or maybe 64-bit causing the issue.

for me about mid-game is when it starts lagging and just gets worse fast. by late game it is horrid, it locks up completely around turn 375 and can't continue.

Same here, even on tiny maps with just 4 players i just when i hit after i reach around the year 1000 on standard speed.

Well done firaxis, i usually do not fall for scam.

edit: ofc i even did format my pc, latest drivers for my win 7 64bit, 2x3.3 ghz, 4gb ram and 5870.

Check the size of your savegames. If they are several megabytes you are in trouble on that game.
My standardsize game in middle ages was sized about 850kb, 20 turns later it was 3,5mb.
Just because I was loading back to my other unfinished games, trying to find the most fun one.
Loading is bad, saving is really no issue unless you loaded alot.

Open the file in notepad. If you find a crapload of FINAL_RELEASExxxxx
your save is getting bloated by a bug.

Only way to work around this is to exit game prior to each load of the game.

UPDATE: The save games are indeed the problem, so for those of you who pointed it out, thank you. There must be some sort of memory leak with loading save games because like another poster said, they become bloated and unnecessarily large. Also if you load too many in one session without exiting the game, the slowdown becomes even more apparent.

This is ridiculous and needs to be fixed.

UPDATE: Also if you load too many in one session without exiting the game, the slowdown becomes even more apparent.

This is ridiculous and needs to be fixed.

I wonder if this had something with my slowdown issues too - along with other things (too many AI, huge map). Crap.

And here I was, thinking it is all down to my bare minimum spec laptop.
Was considering installing to my workstation (how would that pan out, btw, between the CP and Steam, is it safe to install to a production/working system, and will the CP kick in hard if I install to a second system on the same network)?

Top Bottom