1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] 30-Day Patch for GS?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by greenblade, Mar 13, 2019.

1. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

One of the 2kqa branches was updated yesterday. So all bets are off. It still could come out this week, but there's nothing special pointing to this week now.

Edit: except that yesterday's update was in the evening Firaxis time, which is not typical. But it's not terribly unusual either, so who knows if it means anything.:dunno:

2. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

There was also an update yesterday to the proving_grounds branch of the SDK. That's the 4th since the GS patch, for reference there are not many in the history for that branch.

Yes, I was still following that branch from time to time, wondering when the few 2018 updates were about to go public :o

The corresponding branch of Assets was updated the 1st march BTW.

3. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

DLL?

Zenphys likes this.
  4. Zenphys

Zenphys Chieftain

One can dream. However i feel that such a large modding release would be announced a bit ahead of time. Seeing as i'm sure Firaxis know how much we are desperate for it

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They've done "Proving Ground" qa updates in previous patches. So I doubt it is for the DLL. Probably more mundane modding tools.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  6. Kruos

Kruos Chieftain

I remember during a Firaxis stream pre-GS launch a dev spoke about 'big' change on modding were in preparation. The term "soon™" was used.

7. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

"Hey guys so we release .dll, as we ended development of civ6 and won't release any patch or add content to it ever again. Have a nice day, bye!"

8. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

I think they were planning a big world builder update.

9. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

That would be a first for the serie as they have released two expansions and multiple patches after the civ4 DLL source and one expansion and multiple patches after the civ5 DLL source...

Deliverator, glider1, Aristos and 2 others like this.
  10. Fampat

Fampat Chieftain

Since i havent modded on any other civ, what would change with the release of the "dll"?
    Will we get more possibilities? What iam miss the most right now is the ability to alter data at runtime (via lua), i have a lot of getters but only a handfull setters which are very limiting, would that change?

What are the _main_ features/changes of having the dll available?

11. Abaxial

Abaxial Chieftain

I hope!!

12. Vandlys

Vandlys Chieftain

Wasn't the same term used, to indicate a proper worldbuilder, just after launch of the vanilla game? So, soon in Firaxis lingo has taken more than two years already...

I really want that world builder dammit. The backdoor method just isn't sufficient.

13. Weraptor

Weraptor Chieftain

AFAIK, modders will get access to hard-coded data.

14. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

First let me say again that we can already do a lot in Lua, sometime using some "creative hacking" with the help of fake buildings and modifiers...

But if we gain access to the gameplay DLL source code, then we could do anything in relation to gameplay, so yes, you could add any "setters" you want for your values.

No more "creative hacking" needed.

Full access to the AI coding, no more guess work on variables and decision trees....

And real debuging !

The only parts that would stay out of reach would be the main exe and the other DLLs content running the graphic, sound, network, etc...

But it opens the door for total overhaul of combat, diplomacy, units stacking, AI, etc..

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  15. Fampat

Fampat Chieftain

Thanks for the explanaition Gedemon!
    Makes sense to me now... we all want that :)

16. Haig

Haig Warlord

What is a Worldbuilder ?

17. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

And access to the spaghetti!!! :rolleyes:

glider1 and Weraptor like this.
  18. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

What are the chances Firaxis will give us access to the DLL? I've heard people say since Civ VI has been released for the Switch and iOS that Firaxis will want to keep all versions of Civ VI the same so they might be hesitant to release it for PC.

19. _ViKinG_

_ViKinG_ Chieftain

Why should they. Other pc games gets more stuff from modding so switch players know that pc is better anyway

glider1 likes this.
  20. ghost88

ghost88 Chieftain

Map editor/scenario creator. Allows you to place Terrain,cities/settlers, roads, units, ect. Does not allow rule/gameplay chances that's what the DLL would allow.
    I want the World Builder mainly to "fix" the map script( I despise inland lakes, too much Tundra/Snow/Deserts) and to put my opponents were I do not meet them till 1000ad, and certain City States (I'm looking at you Auckland) close to me.

Haig likes this.