Include in VP? (Supermajority Required)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hokath

Emperor
Proposal: Disable the events system by default in the advanced settings
[note: once upon a time some modmods needed this setting turned on to function, for backend reasons. Then, to still remove the events from the game, one had to tick all the individual disable boxes (good, bad, trade, etc.). It may therefore be more helpful to modmodders to make this more complicated configuration the default setting -- it has the same effect but the details of the implementation differ slightly. If anyone prefers this slightly different solution perhaps they could comment.]

Current state:
The events system was original introduced by Gazebo in a beta form to demonstrate what was possible (even with simple database editing) with a batch of new code he had added. There were not many events, the frequencies were a bit squiffy, and so forth. The idea was that the community would make more events and flesh out the system. Enginseer and I, with help from a few others, made a large effort to accomplish this, but it is not integrated into VP, and I am unsure of its current state of balance. Although this work contained a great many new events, I still do/did not consider it to have enough to constitute a set large enough to make the system interesting and different between games. I would also note many aspects did not receive widespread positive reviews, such as "trade" (kiss-curse) events, civ-specific events, and events with light-hearted text or pop culture references.

Rationale:
The events system is unfinished and in my opinion a sub-par experience in comparison to the rest of the mod. For a new player to VP, the first game(s) will probably be with events turned on as the default. Not only does this give a less-than-stellar impression of the mod, it also further complicates gameplay when it is already considerably complicated with respect to the base game. As things stand, I feel it would be better to have events as an opt-in for the seasoned VP enjoyer.

Impact:
I do not expect this to have major balance implications, but because it is a change to the default settings I seem to remember a supermajority vote is required. Perhaps a Magi could confirm/deny.

Personal thoughts:
After spending many, many hours working on the events system, I have come to the conclusion that Civ V does not really benefit from its inclusion, even though I don't mind the equivalent system in other 4X e.g. Endless Space. The game already has enough going on. I personally do not play with events anymore.

Supermajority Required

Last edited by a moderator:
This would break a bunch of mod compatibility. Could you instead disable all good and bad events? That would still allow abilities that use the event system, triggered via lua, to still function.

Ideally there should be an extra boolean in those lua triggers to specify whether they're intended to belong to the Events system. Espionage works without events, why can't this be done?

Events system is needed for some modmods, while positive, negative, civ-specific and whole bunch of them is not. @pineappledan is right. I always leave base events system checked because I have to, while uncheck 5-6 other. If you amend something like this I'm in. Otherwise I will have a horde of players asking why CS abilities does not work...

If this is passed, I'm going to implement it like this:
- The events system is always enabled and cannot be turned off.

- The event options will be renamed
No Events (Bad)
No Events (Civilization Specific)
No Events (Good)
No Events (Neutral)
No Events (Trade)

and checked by default. Vetoing the counterproposal.

I would suggest reversing them (Bad Events etc.) and leaving them unchecked by default.
Then they're not all together in the list.

Events (Bad) etc. then.

Just feel like advanced options should be default unchecked as much as possible.
I can do that.

Sponsored.

To the people voting against this, I would love to hear your reasoning. Do you think the events system is a good experience for new players?

its imperfect, but I'd rather see it built-out further than turned off -- in this sense better to remain on by default, tuned further by future proposals

I came to VP for 2 reasons:
  1. improved AI
  2. revival of past civ franchise features
events system was in civ 4 iirc, was a welcome feature when i was new to the mod, though I agree that it has never really felt finished

I was originally a Yes on this when it was first submitted; I rarely play with events as they are now.

But honestly, this reminder is what turned me around on it:
In the one year since the start of the VP congress, we've had exactly one proposal to change something related to the event system (and that is turning it off by default).
We haven't even tried fixing the system since starting the congress, and abandoning it will just make it less visible and harder to get feedback on changes. But I get the sentiment, if I wasn't interested in trying to workshop some proposals for the next congress I would probably be a Yes on this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom