[Vote] (6-34) Disable Events System By Default [SUPERMAJORITY]

Include in VP? (Supermajority Required)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s such a shame. I really like the events system as a concept. It brings some randomness to the game that I quite like. I think the main issue for me is a lack of unique events. I just get the same ones over and over again. I wish someone could breathe new life into it and make it feel new again. If I knew how to code, I’d definitely try and fix it. I know that much.

To the people voting against this, I would love to hear your reasoning. Do you think the events system is a good experience for new players?

I'd say it'd work especially well for new players relatively speaking, because any of the mentioned problems like low variability haven't become a problem yet.

I personally enjoy playing with it after playing this game for a long time, so why would I vote to disable it by default and make it even less likely to continue to be supported well.

I'd say it'd work especially well for new players relatively speaking, because any of the mentioned problems like low variability haven't become a problem yet.

I personally enjoy playing with it after playing this game for a long time, so why would I vote to disable it by default and make it even less likely to continue to be supported well.
If we want a proper Events in the game, better look how Amplitude did this in their Endless series. There are deep stories, tasks, rewards and other things that keep you tense and make you want to pursue to side goals.

Here beside the annoying repetitiveness when your farms or mines get plundered 3 times in a row (like the low happiness wasn't a problem by itself), you just click and forget. It's so shallow mechanic that it's sad to play.

It's a breath of fresh air for new players, until they get bored because it's the same every game. And it's a lot of yield bloat.

I was originally a Yes on this when it was first submitted; I rarely play with events as they are now.

But honestly, this reminder is what turned me around on it:

We haven't even tried fixing the system since starting the congress, and abandoning it will just make it less visible and harder to get feedback on changes. But I get the sentiment, if I wasn't interested in trying to workshop some proposals for the next congress I would probably be a Yes on this again.
If you find a person eager to devote him(her)self totally to improve and expand this system, then we could think of enabling it back.
But such a mission could be a suicide to a modmoder. So much work to do...

It’s such a shame. I really like the events system as a concept. It brings some randomness to the game that I quite like. I think the main issue for me is a lack of unique events. I just get the same ones over and over again. I wish someone could breathe new life into it and make it feel new again. If I knew how to code, I’d definitely try and fix it. I know that much.
I understand these sentiments. It is a hard decision for me as well, but I just don't think we have the dev resources to support it.

If I knew how to code, I’d definitely try and fix it. I know that much.
well we've got plenty of people here who do know how to code. After looking at the code, it seems pretty straightforward. The main hurdle is coming up with all the appropriate changes. So you can help out with that.

well we've got plenty of people here who do know how to code. After looking at the code, it seems pretty straightforward. The main hurdle is coming up with all the appropriate changes. So you can help out with that.
isn't there a more events modmod already out there?

Oh, you should definitely vote against this proposal, no doubt.
I was just interested to hear why you thought it was good.

After looking at the code, it seems pretty straightforward.
It is very easy, just very long.

But such a mission could be a suicide to a modmoder. So much work to do...
With the exception of some MW art, events was probably the last mod I worked on ☠️

isn't there a more events modmod already out there?
Vide supra. It's not supported by anyone right now afaik.

But such a mission could be a suicide to a modmoder. So much work to do
Overhauling the entire event format in one shot, giving it a robust and deep purpose from start to finish, that would be a daunting task.

But modding in a singular event type, that's not such a big deal. The real issue from my perspective is there is no established "good" model for these. I have yet to theorycraft even one interesting instance of such an idea, let alone test it in game. I can't really even recall seeing any suggestions for an event, ever on these boards.

There has been some minor relationship between Congress and modmods, enw integration being the prime example of how things can work well there. I'd love to see more ideas being tested in this sense, before arriving to Congress. Voting on a lot of these yields-only changes, where building x gets +y if z etc., feels like guesswork to me, but I digress...

As a modmodder I have occasionally taken ideas from Congress and implemented as add on, or made my own take into one etc. In this sense Congress has served well to inspire. Someone says "let's do a to fix c", even if I don't like "a" I'll often attempt my own fix for "c", and sometimes bring something back to Congress out of it... But here the only idea is to delete "c", close down this process altogether. I'd want to see a few rounds of proposals for "good" event formats before giving up on this feature. If we've implemented and reverted 2-3 such proposals, this is the kind of signal I'd look for to just bury it

before people get too excited here, I want to remind everyone that this proposal needs 75% approval. That is tough, as of right now, we would need an additional 21 straight yes (with no new nos) to get to that level.

before people get too excited here, I want to remind everyone that this proposal needs 75% approval. That is tough, as of right now, we would need an additional 21 straight yes (with no new nos) to get to that level.
I'd that is more reason to ...get excited? about fixing events. Since it means they are likely to stay enabled by default.

I'd that is more reason to ...get excited? about fixing events. Since it means they are likely to stay enabled by default.
Maybe there are multiple modders and developers but all of them have their hands full of job. It's not an easy task to start another overhaul when you have few of them or when you are full time VP dev.

From what I understand, this is just a set of database values that are getting flipped. Modmods that use the event system can change the defaults back, and the event system itself will still be on by default anyway.

What we see here is that a significant minority of players enjoy playing with system as-is, with all of its flaws?

Whether there will be development on the event system in the future is irrelevant to now. If the event system is put back into a good state later on, there's nothing stopping us from switching the default again.

Last edited:
To save anyone the time who is similarly curious. After fake votes are excluded this is around 73% in favour. I.e. still failing

Whether there will be development on the event system in the future is irrelevant to now. If the event system is put back into a good state later on, there's nothing stopping us from switching the default again.
Yep, right now it's just an annoyance for majority.

As things are now, with fake votes excluded, this proposal will pass.

I'm a reluctant yes. I would much prefer to see something like events fleshed out, but overall they do not add to the gameplay currently.

Editing to remove text that didn't add anything to the text.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom