6otM 01 - After Actions

Rome's Martian colony blasted off on TURN 329, with a final score of 599. I believe this puts me in last place so far score-wise :lol:

Not anymore; I got 579. ;)

My particular Rome took off for Mars on Turn 386 in 1965.

Score breakdown:

Civics: 96
Empire: 226
Great People: 87
Religion: 0
Technology: 150
Wonders: 20

- How many cities did you settle or capture?

I settled six cities (including Rome, so Rome and five others), and ended with a total population of 106 in my empire. I vastly prefer going tall to wide when I can and wanted to see if it could work. I hate all the micromanagement. Despite all the hoopla about wide being preferable, I still think tall is a viable option.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?

For research, I basically worked on getting resources early, building archers and walls, and then beelined what space race techs were mentioned in the space victory score screen. This hindered me slightly, as it turned out building research academies helps with the SR projects, so after building only one encampment all game, I ended up starting them in the rest of my cities just to get the academies. Two of them never got that far, unfortunately.

Policy-wise, I beelined classical republic for the great people points bonus and then about halfway through switched to merchant republic for the better card slots and trade routes. One other big mistake I made here was not realizing until way late that there was a space race policy. Had I gotten that online sooner, I could have finished much more quickly.

- Did religion come into play in your game, please explain.

Nope, not at all. It was kinda neat watching other civ's units having religious battles late in the game, particularly in the Egyptian city just north of Aquileia. The last 100-150 turns kinda felt like I was just hitting next turn most of the time. There didn't seem to be as much thought involved as I'd hoped, late game.

- How much warring did you do? Was it effective in supporting your Science objective?

None offensively. I don't like going to war. I had to fend off an attack from Catherine around turn 220 and then one from Cleo about 10 turns later both were eager to peace out and give me gold after the minimum number of turns had passed, even though all I was doing was defending my cities with walls and ranged units. Seems like nothing's changed since Civ V in that sense. Kinda sad. That was really all the "army" I needed the whole game, too. Is it just me or when the AI declares war and loses, does it get much more skittish towards the player after that? The AI's were warring with each other the whole game, even with the heavy warmonger penalties, but after those two brief battles, they never looked at me twice.

- Were City-States helpful?

Stockholm was extremely valuable for its great people point bonuses. It was the only one I really cared about and I was its suzerain basically the whole game, though I did get Toronto's late in the game, too. Probably should have done that sooner.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

The wars came out of semi-nowhere to me. I kind of half-expected war with Catherine much earlier, but had begun to figure it wasn't going to happen.

Also, great people points are HUGE. One might even say OP. That ended up being my main strategy, aside from putting into food first, then food and production, and then into science. I snagged as many GE's and GS's as I could, particularly the space race ones. I also focused on keeping all my trade routes going (ended up with 12) and was stunned to find mid to late game that I got put them all in the city where I had my spaceport, so I just did that and channeled every last drop of production there. I also used lots of projects near the end to snag valuable great people (like the space race ones).

The tech and civic trees ended up being disappointing late-game. I must have finished Future Tech at least a couple dozen times. I ended up finishing all the techs for giggles and I think I even got close to finishing the civics tree. The last like half of the game literally, (basically the point after I found out about the space race one), the civic tree became useless. I ended up just mechanically researching the quickest one in case I wanted to switch policies sooner.

I also decided I didn't really like Rome as a civ. The roads were ok, and +1 gold to all trade routes is nothing to sneeze at (ok, well, maybe it is), but I ended up not building any legions and I think I only built one bath just to see what it was like. There didn't seem to be any point to either for my play style.

I was also kind of tickled that I got 10 achievements when I won the game. lol

- Did you enjoy the game?

Immensely.

I would love to try this one over and see how much better I can do, though. I made several clear mistakes. In addition to the ones I've mentioned, I apparently also could have built more than just the one spaceport I did, which obviously would have meant I could work on multiple SR projects at once instead of doing them one at a time. I also wish I'd managed my production better for more of the game.

On the other hand, I tend to get bored with things like this quickly and want to move on to something else, so I don't think I'll be going back to Rome any time soon. At some point, though.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 386 1965 AD Space Victory.Civ6Save
    3.1 MB · Views: 154
Oh, I forgot to add: I basically played this in two sessions. Yesterday, after approximately turn 225, I started getting random crashes. I ended up having 8 of them in about 100 turns. I did not have any crashes today, in the rest of the game. I did not make a note of which turns crashed, but after each crash, I reloaded the last autosave and played just as I had before the crash.

Selling of any unit counts as an exploit? I didn't do the above in my game (as stated, I waited around 60 turns for science to finish, I had all the great people already), but I did sell some units after my wars finished to reduce upkeep.

I thought that the unit selling thing was more of an inconsistent bug, also?

Oh, you said specifically "armys" in your post, so I assumed you were talking about going infinite.
Think this is fine.

Think this is not fine.

I dont think he meant actual armys, I think he was using it as a vaue term for "make bros, sell bros", not actual "armys".

Oh, you said specifically "armys" in your post, so I assumed you were talking about going infinite.

I dont think he meant actual armys, I think he was using it as a vaue term for "make bros, sell bros", not actual "armys".

Yeah I just meant units. Later game you can build units you can sell for about 1500 gold in a few, so a couple of otherwise idle cities like this can quickly get a lot of cash.

I'm assuming there's a consistent corps build bug from what you are saying?

Yeah I just meant units. Later game you can build units you can sell for about 1500 gold in a few, so a couple of otherwise idle cities like this can quickly get a lot of cash.

I'm assuming there's a consistent corps build bug from what you are saying?

You can sell an army for more then you buy it for. So once you get armys you can buy an army in all your citys, sell them all the next turn for prophet and repeat for infinite dough.

edit: Its a major part of the exploit ridden turn 120ish deity science wins.

Final Score: 664
Turn complete: 298
Year: 1854

4 Cities conquered, 8 Cities settled, if you include my capital!

Mainly looked to push settlers and belined to production districts. I knew for a fast science victory I'd need a lot of high congested production. I feel pretty satisfied with my city placement as I managed to get 200 hammers out of one city, also focusing more on getting engineers out so I could snag that 100% space project production would've been nice but I failed to get him before I won. Also making more then one spaceport might've sped my time up but I also neglected that.

Not at all, I generally completely ignore religion, haven't really looked into it yet.

- How much warring did you do? Was it effective in supporting your Science objective?
I immediately took out Stockholm to use as a production/science city. Later Egypt forward settled a location I wanted, so naturally I had to wipe them clean from history ;)

Probably?

No surprises, I wish I managed Great Engineers better, I did this victory without the 100% production bonus to the science project. Didn't realize how late he comes out.

It was ok, the difficulty wasn't a challenge at all.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• 6otM01_win_1854 AD_Ob1tus.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 163
@thecrazyscot Haha, I'm surprised my starting warrior isn't in that picture to!
I'm blown away how high you got your science and culture output, I think the max I've ever gotten in a game is 300ish. I still got a lot to learn! :)

Turn 328 for me! Not great I know!

1st time science victory for me, never even completed civ v science victory before, so probably didn't min-max as effectively as I should've. Really low production start wasn't helpful but enjoyed warring with Catherine, then cleo and finally peter.

Won a science victory @turn 251, time 1700 AD, score 648. I think overall this game went very well for me. No major mistakes and my gameplan was well executed (take Paris and Kumasi).

My empire at turn 55, 118, 188, 251 attached screenshots.

Spoiler Turn 55 :

Spoiler Turn 118 :

Spoiler Turn 188 :

Spoiler Turn 251 :

Some things that I specifically remember:
  • I stole France's first settler (made in Paris). And I got away with it and settled Ravenna since I was chased by Barbarians.
  • Egypt to the north, France to the southwest, Russia to the southeast all converted my cities to different religions. This was beautiful since it basically assured there would be not religious victory.
  • Russia declared war 3 times. They managed to attack a city in one of the wars ;)
  • Egypt commented that I have a weak treasury when I had 3500 gold and +120 gold per turn ^^
  • Nikola Tesla great person is amazing for scientific victory. "This district's regional buildings provide +2 Production. This district's regional buildings reach 3 tiles farther."
  • Antium was my main production city, capping out at around 170 production per turn.

What I could have done better
  • Perhaps I should have invaded Russia at some stage. Invading their 3 cities and building factories / powerplants there it might have pumped my production in Antium quite a bit more.
Please note I win the turn of the replay as a result of a great person.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 251 1700 AD Gotm Ogaw.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Science Victory
Attached save file is on Turn 287. Skip last 2 units and satellite will be launch.

Game end on Turn 288 with final score 1445

Spoiler :

Settle 14 cities; Capture 26

Space Race technologies and Democracy

Yes I convert all cities in my main continent to my religion to get bonuses.

I capture all cities except Spain capitol and City-States

Yes of course, they boost my science and culture

Not after turn 100. I have good military and technologies to deal with barbarian and all other civilizations with few units.

Who not enjoy in Civ6? :)

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ6_6otM01_Saykor_EndGame.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 175
- How many cities did you settle or capture? At the end I had more than 15.
- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Just the trader type govs. Did not prioritize for science victory very well.
- Did religion come into play in your game, please explain. I missed out on any religion.
- How much warring did you do? Was it effective in supporting your Science objective? Early war to capture St Petersburg, then minor wars of territorial expansion.
- Were City-States helpful? I think they were at first.
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Miss clicked a trade deal with Saladin and handed him a city. Had to declare to get it back.
- Did you enjoy the game? Yes, was fun, learned a bit more about how to win science. Got 6 achievements.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• TRAJAN 312 1882 AD.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Uninspiring 1937 victory for me. Without any warring on my part (apart from fending off others). With three cities. Bit boring at the end but wanted to give a "pure" science victory a go.

I never even met China or Germany, but wow was there a lot of space on their continent.

Attachments

• Trajan_0358.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 149
t210 science win, score was 570.

Went wide very fast and settled 2nd city by spices SE.

BO was:
Scout
Settler
Settler

Bought an early worker and sold some luxiers to AI for gold.

After settlement was complete around t100, most cities built either industrial zone or campus. Also some commerce zones. Eventually all cities got industrial zone.

Got allied with 3 CS, stockholm and hong kong and the other one that extended factory sharing range.

In the end I ran alot of industrial zone logicstics projects to unlock great engineers

Troubles:
Peter dowed me in around t120. That gave me massive war wariness penelty (-5 to -8) which stuck around even after I manged to make peace.

Lost colusseum with a few turns around t145.

Passed on an early Great Engineer which meant I couldnt get a GE for a long while, but finally germany saved me and got a GE so I could use my GE points.

Spoiler ca t100 :

Spoiler t210 win :

Attachments

• TRAJAN 210 1490 AD GOTM 1 win.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 128
Turn 271, score of 1009.

I felt I was in a pretty good position at 104, with nearly 70 beakers, having conquered France, Russia, and Kumasi. I decided to wipe out Egypt, which, while necessary, probably ate up 20+ turns, only half because of Egypt itself. Right as I start the war, 15 barbs swarm my southern borders. Over the next few turns, I see another 15+ barbs. I have to change production in most of my cities, have nearly two cities fall to the barbs--the barbs used catapults and crossbowmen, which is sadly better than the actual AI civs. I buy up a few units. The barbs pillage more than 10 tiles, including 3 or 4 districts. I lose ten trade routes.

While that is happening, Egypt is being obnoxious with its dozen unique units of rangedness. Their last city is around the mountain range, and there are another three barb camps on the way, which pour units. Stockholm gets in the way of my musketman which means I wait some more turns. By the time I capture the city and end the war, I have one city with positive amenities. I also was not paying attention and got the tech that allows for field cannons shortly before a wave of crossbows finished. So that added half a dozen or more turns to those units. Some 30+ turns later, I have Egyptian cities, the barbs are finally dead, and I am starting to repair. I did not repair the holy site in St. Petersburg for 100+ turns.

Not long after that fiasco, I quickly conquer Saladin. Then its a whole lot of micromanagement. At some point I find Toledo and Zanzibar, neither of which have a Suzerain, even at 3 envoys. As fast as I can, I get both.

My production was not what I needed. I research rocketry on T193. Took 30 turns to build the first Space Port, and the first two steps took another 50ish turns. I simultaneuously build the 3 Mars pieces, which get down to 16-18 a pop. About halfway through that I finally get the 1500 hammer engineer. The only GP I got actual use from for the space race was the +20%. I really failed at the GPP game, which probably ate a significant number of turns.

EDIT: Apparently my screenshot decided not to save....thanks Steam

Attachments

• AutoSave_0270.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 158
  • Civ6Screen0000 (1).jpg
    Civ6Screen0000 (1).jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 154
Science victory - turn 412 - score 773

-- founded = 7
-- captured = 6

-- mostly science, went lighter on culture than usual to avoid accidental culture victory.

-- nope

-- Several other civ tried to war me, but they had science deficit and was able to soak their attack, then counter-attack with half a dozen troops

-- yes, some

-- biggest surprise was French leader setting trap for me - we were allied for ages, then it dropped to friends. She proposed a joint-war against China (who we;re looking good at the time). I agreed, then France denounced me for warmongering. Sigh.

--I enjoyed the early and mid game. However, while I didn't wrap it up until turn 412, it was in the bag for the 100 turns before then. The last 50 turns were a bit of a grind just waiting to get the rockets out.

--
Didn't bother with any builder / troop selling / chopping stuff. In total cleared about 5 rainforests in the last 20 turns because I was bored and wanted to get the game finished sooner.

Turn: 243
Score: 1086

Spoiler Victory Screenshot :
Victory.jpg

Plan:
Early game; Chop out settlers, builders, campuses and campus district buildings - baths first district if not settled besides fresh water
Mid game; Industrial and commercial zones. Decide on 3 science project-building cites
Late game; Settle cities close to the 3 project-building cites and build industrial zones. Shuffle all trade routes to the 3 cities​

Afterthoughts:
Way overboard with science
Maybe early campuses in just some great locations - else baths, commercial hubs and industrialization zones first
Perhaps plant trees for lumbermills
It seems there's more to districts than I thought when playing through this game
Settled 17 (4 settlers stolen)
Captured 10
Techs:
Mining (chops)
Writing (chops)
Irrigation (plantations)
Bronze Working (chops)
Engineering (baths)
Education (universities)
Scientific Theory (+1 food plantations)
Industrialization (+1 production mines)
Replaceable Parts (+1 food adjacent farms)
Civics:
Craftmanship (builder production)
Early Empire (settler production)
Political Philosophy (oligarchy for war)
Recorded History (campus adjacency)
Mysticism (great scientist points)
Feudalism (builder charges)
Exploration (merchant republic)
The Enlightenment (campus district buildings)
Civil Engineering (builder production and charges)
Suffrage (democracy, housing and amenities)
Class Struggle (+4 food trade routes)
Neither founded religion or built any holy sites
Bought religion buildings in captured cities with preexisting holy site and religion
Bought great people with faith
Captured and kept every egyptian, french, russian and arabian city which gave me:
Eurekas and inspirations
Trade routes and factory/power plant prodution bonuses to space project-building cities
Hong Kongs suzerain bonus was particularly useful
Huttusas bonus allowed for early musketmen
Decided to liberate Kumasi, thought it had a different bonus, which was an error I think
Changed from oligarchy to classical republic then merchant republic a few turns after which resulted in anarchy.
Thought one needed only one spaceport to make space projects in all cities. Shuffled some trade routes and citizens to give more production to the other two space project-building cities
Yes! :)
Spoiler Turn 101 :
Turn 101.jpg

Spoiler Turn 168 :
Rocketry.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, SV turn 342 --
Settled: 6 (2 using captured colonists)
Razed: 2 early, 2 very late
Conquered: 3 early, 5 very very late.

Founded in place, decide to grab a religion. Holy site by mountain, cruising along trying to grab prophet #3. I am two turns away and ... BLAM! No more prophets! Why? Apparently the Stonehedge prophet doesn't count to increasing the cost; Arabia was in the game; and one prophet was never used to found a religion. (I don't know exactly why. Barbarians?) I was kinda ticked off, so when Peter converted my capital I decided he had to go. But, given France's position, I wasn't comfortable giving her that much flank. So I denounced the pair of them and then took over France's cities, which was fairly easy. Peter was trickier because of geography and him having a LOT of units, but then it was done.

I then made two big mistakes. First, I kept my battering rams because I had misread the instructions. I thought I was never supposed to disband my units. So I paid upkeep on useless units through the entire game. Hrmph. More importantly, I utterly failed to plan for how little freaking production I had. I built up, but sloowly. Having never gone to war this early, I struggled to make my stolen cities fully functional.

I went Divine Spark pantheon for the GP bonus, which caused me to get more GWAMs than I could really deal with. That probably set me back, since I compulsively rushed places to hold their great works. Still, the GS and GEs I got were helpful. And I wanted to fill in the gaps in the map.

One turn 332, Cleo backstabs me. Six turns later Egypt is no more.
Four turns later, I launch.

Attachments

• GoTM_PreWin.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 169
Top Bottom