6otM 01 - After Actions

Science Victory! Turn 305 - 1868 AD - Score: 864.

From Civ4 to Civ6. I tried a litlle Civ5 but gave up without finishing a game...

Well, as my first game in Civ6 I liked this result. And this game was to learn, not to win any award. Finish in the middle of the table is not too bad :mischief:... In the end I've learned some aspects, as to focus in science and production, and some commerce. Another thing I've learned is to prepare for the spies missions :sad:. I had to stop the space projects a couple times (I think it was three) just to repair the Industrial Zone: it took me 8 turns each mission :mad:!

But it was nice. At this level I think I can do the things better. By the way, my screens have .tga extension and isn't accepted. How to change this?

Attachments

• Falabello 6otM01 - Trajan King.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 199
We pretty boring the first 100 turns or so, after reading up on what everyone else did I went on the warpath :)
I did not know how to spawn a Great Prophet so religion did not happen.
I am used to the science victory conditions taking ALOT of production but wow - will defiantly have three solid production cities before i try that again.

Attachments

• TRAJAN GOTM FINAL.Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 158
Science victory on T280 with score 764.

20161117195643_1.jpg

I built 7 cities including Rome, and captured 4. I warred with France early, started in the Ancient era. Not too long later, Russia attacked me and I wiped him out. I took two cities from each of them. I did not war again. The cities that I built were close to Rome, so I could maximize the overlap of industrial zones. This worked OK, not great. Perhaps killing Egypt may have helped. It would have been easy, and she was #2 in science.

As far as research and policies, I focused on science and production naturally. I unlocked the industrial zones early, then got the science boost policies. I went Oligarchy (early wars), Merchant Republic and Democracy. Also, I made an effort to built all of the wonders that gave me bonus policy slots. I believe this helped.

I ended up building all of the parts in two cities instead of three. There is probably some optimization there. I did not quite reach the engineers that gave free production for space projects. Next time I am racing for the space race, and have weak competition, I will focus on great engineers over great scientists.

I completely ignored religion.

I focused on the same city states as everyone else. Stockholm, Toronto and Hong Kong. I expect that Toronto helped the most.

There weren't really any surprises. The only thing close was Russia declaring war on me while being friendly. However, I half expected it, and had enough army to take him out quickly.

Attachments

• GOTM 001 TRAJAN 280 1818 AD.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 163
Domination victory on 213 turn with 574 score.
18 cities (6 settled + 12 captured)
At the beginning of the game my priority were autocracy and legions. In the later stage it was tanks .
For religion score I bought a few knights for upgrade to tanks.
The city-state assisted in science at an early stage, and gold for upgrades in the later stage.
After capturing all countries on my continent, hoping the rest will be in the east. I had a long swim, and when i've come, it was not easy to capture.
I unsuccessfully tried to capture the cities with the help of the Musketeers. And the tanks have already successfully.
It was fun)) but king is realy easy.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 213 1510.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 186
Science Victory on Turn 376 with score 1079

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
24 cities. At the beginning I was way too busy with Barbarians, I wasn't focussed on the main objective (Science Victory) after all. But because of the Military I made for fighting the Barbs, I was later in the game very strong in war against the other countries France, Russia, Arabia. So it helped me later on.

- Did religion come into play in your game, please explain.
I built a lot of faith in the beginning of the game to finally start my own belief, but after I had this, Russia converted very soon after this my faith capital to their belief. I tried to find out how to undo this, but I still don't know. Anyone can help me with this?
As it didn't matter at all, I started to conquer the island and after defeated France, Russia and Arabia (in that order). I had another look at the victory conditions for this game, and I noticed that I didn't need a Cultural Victory but a Science. Aiiiii big mistake.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
In the beginning I was looking in what Rome needed the most, also I needed to keep building my army, and sometimes I just reserach the tech or policy which uses the least turns.

- How much warring did you do? Was it effective in supporting your Science objective?
I think I went to war 3 times.

- Were City-States helpful?
Nah, not really

- Did you enjoy the game?
I enjoyed the beginning, but at the end it was just end turn, end turn

Attachments

• TRAJAN 376 1955 AD GOTM#1.Civ6Save
    2.6 MB · Views: 182
Science Victory - Turn 295 - 1848 AD - Score: 1444.

KILL'EM! KILL'EM ALL! :woohoo:

It's hard for me to play peacefully in a normal game, and in this game with those warmongering neighbors, the temptation to crush them was impossible to resist. So I killed them. Almost everyone of them. Ok, I know that's not they best way for an early science victory, but what to do with those surplus troops?

Anyway, this is how it started. Settle in place, focus on exploration, target mining, and try to boost research and civics as much as possible. It was nice to find second continent just a few tiles from Rome :crazyeye:. I also tried to get xp from barb troops, and was lucky when Cleo (aka as Backstabber of the Month) left a spearman in a barbarian camp with 1 hp. I was lucky with goody huts as well, such as acquiring the Book of Thoth relic :lol: Since this was my first civ6 game, I noticed that tech and civics go hand in hand by providing boosts to each other.

I tried to settle towards Cleo to cut her of, but was 5 turns late. Actually, it appears to be stupid to cut of AI since they spam troops instead of building infrastructure. Instead I settle towards the French and Russians. I detect Paris troops moving towards my borders, and bought two archers for defense. Then Paris DOW, but I manage to hold back. At this time one civilization is defeated (around T50) but I don't know who that was. The replay did not help me either to find out. Man, the AI is aggressive!

After fending of the French, and building my empire, I felt confident. In my notes I stated that I was sure I would win. The next turn, both Peter and Salading DOW. From this point, there was constant wars between AIs, and also between me and AI. It was weird that Cleo would DOW me since she admires strong military civilizations. Later on I learned that you could check the relations in the diplomacy page with all the related numbers. At the end of the game, I had -250 in warmongering penalties, so I guess they did not like me very much.

Since I have no clue how to optimize districts, tech research, and civic research, I just played for fun to learn, and the end date was far from optimal. Instead I built a few more troops, and marched through the lands. Once all civs was defeated on the original continent, I captured a Chinese city on the coast towards west. At that time I had bombers, and eventually steam rolled over China, Germany and Spain with tanks etc. It's very cheap to upgrade units so I did not build many new troops since the early wars. If I understand correctly, the district cost rise when you capture cities with existing districts. Else there does not seam to be any penalty with aggressive expansion, apart from the happiness :lol:

At the end I was suzerain of all city states, 786 science per turn, 533 culture per turn, 16k faith, 11k gold, and Spain had three cities left. In hindsight, I should probably have focused even more on combat early on, and captured cities instead of building settlers :ar15::run:

Attachments

• TRAJAN 295 1848 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 185
Turn 462, score equally unimpressive.

7 cities, all founded, none conquered or lost.

1st attempt at science victory and didn't target it very well, looking at the overall scores, thought I had a science lead, but when I checked the detail, I was well behind. Spies did the hard work, taking out spaceports and production in 3 Ai, particularly Spain who had a good lead.

I had an alliance with Egypt, and agreed to a joint war with Spain to keep her happy, then the alliance and the friendship disappeared, and all other civs denounced me, Philip quickly offered peace, but not before France had DoW, and sent untold knights in to me territory. They were no match for the infantry and machine guns, but she kept going. War weariness went through the roof, my production fell, no money, units getting deleted, my population upset and barbarian infantry popping up all over the place. France sued for peace just in time, or I was toast.

Didn't bother with religion.

Prioritised the Science city states early, then let the Ai fight over them once had what I needed.

No Oil, No Aluminium, traded perfume for both.

Great fun.

Attachments

• 6otM01 Ferenginar 462 2030AD SV.Civ6Save
    3.3 MB · Views: 167
Turn 217. Was my first full playthrough of a game, made lots of inefficiencies, didn't really know what I was doing lol. Did not abuse any bugs or steal any free settlers. :p Actually left 2 civs on my starting continent untouched.

Notes: would definitely set up to have my 2 cities building space parts be at the south end of the continent, and plan to chop the forests into the space parts. I still was able to do some chops, but it's much harder when you aren't planning ahead for such things. My primary space part city had ~320 production at the end (mostly through trade routes) - it was the former Russian capitol, surrounded by hills.

Science Victory,Turn 267, Score 822

Hey everyone, long time lurker here, I used to be somewhat active on the forums back in the Civ IV days and I played many Civ V GotMs. I just love these challenges, they make me strive to become a better player. In Civ V I actually won a Deity game, I never would have done that if it wasn't for GotM, so thank you for that. :)

9 founded, 9 captured, 18 in total.

Still getting to learn the new tech tree, so I didn't really prioritize much in the beginning. Later on beelined for Rocketry and then the other techs needed for the Mars expedition.

I only founded a pantheon, Oral Tradition. I let Peter spread his religion in my cities, the Jesuit Education belief was quite handy.

- How much warring did you do? Was it effective in supporting your Science objective?

I took the entire continent. First Egypt and France with my Legions around turn 100, then I took a break and consolidated until turn 160 when I DOWd Russia and Arabia.

Sure, extra bonuses (bonii?) are always nice. In the end I allied every surviving CS except Preslav and Lisbon.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

Around turn 100 I had a huge barbarian problem in my ex-Egyptian cities while the entirety of my army was fighting the French in the south. That's why I took a break from warring. The pillaged cities took many turn to recover.

I did. Until I took the continent. Then it was a click fest, just trying to maximize my research and production. I'm afraid most of Civ VI games are going to be like this since the design favors going wide. I actually preferred building tall empires in Civ V. Oh, well.

Attachments

• Rome Victory_PotifexMax.jpg
    Rome Victory_PotifexMax.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 228
  • PotifexMax_GOTM01.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 163
It was a war early on but once I hit closer to late game everything went smooth to a victory, baring about 4-5 more wars I was surprised with. Have some screens of the state of the civ after I won and attached some charts

A total of two captured and 5 settled
For research, it was science buildings and money for policies it was builder additions
Not for me, but there were 4 religions in the game
I had a total of 8-9 wars throughout the campaign. 4 were early on so it took some strat to win but the last few I was more advanced and held out pretty well
Early on yes
Besides surprise wars, nothing
It was fun

Attachments

• 20161118233913_1.jpg
    20161118233913_1.jpg
    783.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 20161118233309_1.jpg
    20161118233309_1.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 20161118233246_1.jpg
    20161118233246_1.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 190
  • 20161118233253_1.jpg
    20161118233253_1.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 185
  • 20161118233301_1.jpg
    20161118233301_1.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 20161118233233_1.jpg
    20161118233233_1.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 177
  • 20161118233240_1.jpg
    20161118233240_1.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 20161118233225_1.jpg
    20161118233225_1.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 20161118233918_1.jpg
    20161118233918_1.jpg
    878.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Science Victory - 1974 turn 395

- How many cities did you settle or capture? Settled 5, Captured 1
- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Priority was scientific bonused research and policies
- Did religion come into play in your game, please explain. Never founded one, and never engaged in religious activities
- How much warring did you do? Was it effective in supporting your Science objective? I only fought wars when declared against, never started the fight. France attacked, I took Paris and wiped out the south. Egypt attacked and I razed their closest city on northern border. Late in game I didn't realize how cl;ose to winning by science Russia was. I denounced and was waiting to attack so as to slow them down, when they attacked me. Nuked their closest city, wiping out all his modern units and set him back enough with spies to win space race comfortably.
- Were City-States helpful? A little bit, for the bonuses. I didn't aggressive pursue them, just used points I had, when I had them.
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? I didn't know that cities IZ could compound each other, I also didn't know that you couldn't move them later. That one I just had to suck up! I also didn't realize that scientific victory also requires really well thought out production.
- Did you enjoy the game? Very much so! This was my first full game of Civ 6, I had only started 1 other right after buying it. I learned so much about how the game works during the course of this GOTM, I can't wait to start the next one and apply what I have learned!

Attachments

• TRAJAN 395 1974 AD.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 175
Didn't count but think I was at around 15-16 cities by the end game. Cleo had 3 cities left on the continent and Peter 1 (my very own little city state)

Mostly researched what was boosted but have a few I always aim for (Currency (to unlock Commerical Hub), Apprenticeship (to unlock Industrial Zone), Industrialization (Factories, Ruhr Valley), Political Philosophy (goverments), Feudalism (farm bonus), Urbanization (Neighborhoods))

Nope, didn't found any religion.

I planned to take out my closest neighbors and took out France within the first 100 turns. I then attacked Russia and left them with 1 city. Later Cleo took Stockholm and forwardsettled me at the same time so I warred her and left her with 1 city left (liberated Stockholm). Late game Saladin and Barbarossa declared a joint war against me, so I took out Arabia. The early Russian and France cities were some of my production power houses and I had Space Ports in Pars and Novgorod, so I would say they helped me.

Yes, I was suzerin of pretty much every non-religious city state by the end. Extra production and money and exlusive luxuries, helps keeping a large empire going. Toronto has the best suzerin bonus in the game

Other than France putting up a surprisingly good fight in the beginning, not really.

Yep

I finished the game in turn 343. The fall patch came into play around turn 200.
I was wonderwhoring like crazy and built amongst others, the Hanging Gardens, Forbidden City, Big Ben, Ruhr Valley, Colosseum, Terracotta Army, Potala Palace, Broadway, Cristo Redonator, Hermitage, Colossus, Great Lighthouse. Had the Eiffel Tower, Maracana Stadium and Syndey Opera House under construction when the game was won. Captured the Egyptian capital which had Petra and the Great Library. I was afraid I would win an accidental culture victory by the end.

After the first 150 turns (described in the other thread), I was planning to play peaceful after taking out Catherine and leaving Peter with one city. But alas, that was not to be. Cleo forward settled me and took my buddy city state Stockholm, can't have that. Death to forward-settlers!

Spoiler :

Turn 230, her capital fell

Spoiler :

After that I concentrated on research and wonderwhoring. Late game I was the target of a joint war declaration of Saladin and Barabarossa. You know what that means...
Spoiler :

I was able to complete the goals I had set for myself, to unlock the achievement "Flight Singulator" and "Missed That Day in History Class"

Attachments

• Civ6_6otM01_AfterVictory.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 196
  • Civ6_6otM01_BeforeVictory.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 166
Science Victory, turn 410 (1989 AD), score of 789

15 cities, 7 were found by me, 6 conquered and 2 were given as a peace gift

Iron working for legions, although I did not go offensive. I didn't try to conquer the rest civs but I went defensively (enjoying the game :p)
I went for governments and then for the better ones

France got the first then I got the second. I spread my religion in my cities and then defend it with Apostles.

No warring at all.

Yes but in the other continent.

Nop. I surprised AI with my Nuke (hehehe just wanted to mention it)

Absolutely

civ6_trajan.jpg

I got a science victory on turn 414. This was my first real play of the game. I'm a long-time Civver and knew the basics, but I could have done it much more quickly if I had understood the fundamental changes to the game better.

After an aggressive settler push and a war to the death with a recalcitrant southern neighbor, I came away with half the starting continent and about 20 cities overall.

I emphasized getting to legions as quickly as possible then, after my army became the biggest, baddest kids on the block, I pushed for Communism to get that sweet production bonus.

Not a bit. I pushed for and got one of the early religion slots but I just didn't know enough about the game to make it useful.

Lots of early warring with southern neighbors. The A.I., however, is not well tuned for siege operations. I broke them on the walls of my cities then marched through their own cities with a pitifully small mobile force.

Not especially. Nice bonuses and I never had them on the "to-conquer" list. I was shocked to see city-state warriors and chariots around in the 1970s though. Something wrong with that. The city-state AIS should be forced to upgrade certain units after the major cvs cross certain stages of development.

Builder management is, no surprise, much trickier now. I used surplus gold to buy builders as the game progressed.

Quite a bit. I can't wait for the updates and DLCs where the edges get smoothed off.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 415 1994 AD.Civ6Save
    2.9 MB · Views: 191
T361 Science Victory, score 432

Long time Civ player, this is really the first time I have gotten into the GOTM's even though I have followed this website and the Civ 5 games for years. I was really excited to play in the first GOTM and hope to keep playing them month after month for a while. I have to admit I felt rather inexperienced after I finished the game and read some of the discussions about the exploits I never knew existed (never ran into them or used the ones people are talking about). Also I noticed some discussion at the start of this thread about an inability to play a non war game, though I went most of my game with no wars to speak of.

I was attacked pretty early on by Russia, right around the time I got legions and I was able to take Tula pretty easily. I stalled working on the City State of Kumasi, who was Russia's ally and made a peace with Russia that lasted the rest of the game. No one else declared war on me even though I stayed pretty much around the middle of the pack in military strength.

In retrospect I should think a little more about the benefits of the culture I have, in this case I should have went for legions a little sooner and actually used them to capture some land. The end of the game was a pretty stressful, I was getting close to starting my science victory research and projects and when I checked the score page Russia was already up to the 3rd tier of Science victory objectives. I was able to catch up with the use of Great Engineers and Great Scientist.

- How many cities did you settle or capture? Settled 4, captured 1

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? I went mostly for stuff that was boosted, a mistake in retrospect. Then went for merchant republic and straight for the science victory objectives.

- Did religion come into play in your game, please explain. I thought about going for science a little too late. I first ignored it since I was just thinking about science, then I thought it might help and built a holy site which in the end was a waste since I didn't make it to religion. Oh well.

- How much warring did you do? Was it effective in supporting your Science objective? Very little, defensive war against Russia and City States early on. Wish I would have researched Legions earlier and warred, I think it would have helped a lot.

- Were City-States helpful? I think the City States are much better in Civ 6 and I usually get 3 - 6 envoys in each city state for the bonuses.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? It came down to me finishing the last mars launcher a couple turns before Russia, that was a huge surprise that I wasn't ready for. Had to start buying great people with money and faith to catch up.

- Did you enjoy the game? Very much so, looking forward to playing GOTM2 this week.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 361 1940 AD.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 179
Science Victory, turn 318.

Hi First time completing a Science VC in civ 6, learned a lot about it, i thought i could build all the project in parallel, but it seemed there are 3 steps, so i prebuilt 5 cities with space ports to make sure i can build all projects at the same time... leason learned!

Also, played half the game before the patch and half the game after the patch... don't know how much it affected the finish time...

See you guys in the next one.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 318 1894 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 195
Settled 4, Captured 5. On reflection, I should have been MUCH more aggressive in settling and capturing cities.
Raced for most of the trading type techs, especially Banking for Great Zimbabwe
Religion almost didn't figure in my game at all except for right at the end when I used it to rush a Great Person
Not nearly enough. Rome was a trading titan at the end of the game, but a few more early conquered cities would have made things so much smoother
I was all but in love with Kumasi, the others were not so much of a help.
I had 2 powers to the South declare war on me while 90% of my army was mopping up Egypt to the North. A pair of purchased Field Cannons kept them at bay long enough for my armies to make their way home and squash them.
It was by no means my favourite run, but enjoyable as a mission of discovery as I had actually not yet played as Trajan

Attachments

• GOTM-1-TrajanScience-T427-S626.Civ6Save
    2.7 MB · Views: 169
A request. Alan is working on the file parser and needs a save from the turn before victory of a game. He needs to check the save structure, then end the game and see what changes occur after victory occurs. If you can help, please post and attach the save so Alan can pick it up.

Thanks for your help.

Here are my files before and after, tthanks for your efforts and good luck!

Attachments

• TRAJAN 242 1655 AD prelaunch.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 185
  • TRAJAN 243 1660 AD post launch.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 186
Top Bottom