8 Ages of Pace

8 Ages of Pace v2.1.0 Release

Played a Standard paced game last night and although I had to slightly scale up the numbers, it worked out quite well.

One thing I did was adjust the Eureka number to be 25% bonus vs the default. I just found with the longer times researching I was hitting Eurekas all over the place and it was speeding things back up a little too much.

I used a mod to decrease eurekas as well , it takes to to 25% it's working out not too bad :)

Hi

Played a game to the end, scientific victory (though chieftan, not sure what it changes). Techs felt about right all the way up to modern, where they felt a bit slow, but that could be due to the fact that nothing else happened, no wars or nothing. Then again, about when you get the first space victory projects, balance between production and science felt vanilla again, though more due to the fact that those end game units and projects take an insane amount of production to build. In my highest production city I build satelite and moon landing. But the fact is, with no focus on getting eurekas, I still managed to research the techs for ALL mars projects before the moon landing was launched. I feel this looses some historic accuracy (they did not master nanotechnology by the time Apollo 11 was launched, after all, they still really haven't.

Also, I finally agree that great people may be a bit too slow, though they did come quite often by endgame.

Note that this is in the build from a week ago (26.10.2016 - european date style), so take that into account if newer changes would obsolete what I wrote.

I'm not sure I agree with reducing euraka bonuses though. Maybe as an option.

Something feels a bit off for me in my game.

Playing huge, prince, epic and as rome, 6 AI opponents.
Year is 1818AD. I have only really done anything against two of the AI (India because was tired of their religious unit spam and Egypt as Cleopatra as a neighbor was a real b*tch). My tech is at 86 while #2 is 70 (Kongo) and the rest in the 50's. I have 70 wonders while the rest are 10 to 0 wonders. Pretty much in everything I'm WAY ahead. When I had crossbowmen for sometime already the other AI's were still running around with warrior hordes, slingers, and a few archers. They only more recently moved into crossbowmen as I'm about to move out of musketmen, and still see some battering rams here and there.

What I noticed early on is the AI's near me were focusing on building mass units.

Not sure if this is just the sh*tty AI or some conflict with your mod that is hurting the Ai's ability to progress. The only time I wasn't in the lead was in the ancient era were I was usually last or near last place but after that things changed rather quickly.

Something feels a bit off for me in my game.

Playing huge, prince, epic and as rome, 6 AI opponents.
Year is 1818AD. I have only really done anything against two of the AI (India because was tired of their religious unit spam and Egypt as Cleopatra as a neighbor was a real b*tch). My tech is at 86 while #2 is 70 (Kongo) and the rest in the 50's. I have 70 wonders while the rest are 10 to 0 wonders. Pretty much in everything I'm WAY ahead. When I had crossbowmen for sometime already the other AI's were still running around with warrior hordes, slingers, and a few archers. They only more recently moved into crossbowmen as I'm about to move out of musketmen, and still see some battering rams here and there.

What I noticed early on is the AI's near me were focusing on building mass units.

Not sure if this is just the sh*tty AI or some conflict with your mod that is hurting the Ai's ability to progress. The only time I wasn't in the lead was in the ancient era were I was usually last or near last place but after that things changed rather quickly.

No, that's pretty normal on Prince, with or without the mod.

No, that's pretty normal on Prince, with or without the mod.

Alright then, that sucks pretty much then. Guess I need a higher difficulty then even though I'm not some awesome player. Just worried about early wars were the AI goes nuts early on.

Thanks for the updates everyone, taking everything into consideration. Unfortunately the AI is a bit rubbish (especially for upgrading units) so it's hard to have the pace feel right for the player and the AI. I'm hoping to release a new version with some slight changes soon, just trying to eliminate the last bugs (that I know of anyway)

Love the premise and implementation of the mod. Was the exact thing I was looking for as I did the same thing with Civ 5, slowed the tech down. Love playing the early tech, not so much the late tech. If anything I might make it even slower from the very start. Thank you!

Olleus, what game speed does your mod work best with? Standard? Epic?

It should work equally well for all of them. Personally I like Epic (and have since Civ4) so, at the very least, I think it gives a good experience there.

Have you found with such an increased multiplier to Atomic and Information Age techs that Science Victories are still viable compared to Culture or Religion? I foresee those win conditions being comparatively much easier to achieve now that completing the Mars modules will take so much longer to even begin, much less finish.

The cost of civics has also been increased, so Science vs Culture should still be balanced. Given that you will have had more time to build up infrastructure and production costs 'feel' lower, building the mars modules should be easier.

I completed a cultural victory as France shortly after researching computers, but I had hogged pretty much all the wonders and GWAMs from the medieval onwards. Would like to hear what people's experience of science victory is like

I know this is probably a big ask, but if you were to play quick or online speed, do you think the civics and techs would need to be even further adjusted? If so, what changes would you make exactly?

Making things era and speed dependent is probably a little complicated. But if you want to adjust the techs/civics rate then you can change the values in SlowerEras.sql. Should be fairly self explanatory.

So I don't think you should increase the prophet great person cost.. Only because I'm noticing that if you don't get stonehenge to give you a great prophet straight away, it takes a fair while to get the points, and that can really mean a huge lead to anyone who gets it first (And it's rarely us if the AI has the boosts from the higher difficulties!)

Top Bottom