8GB RAM with 64-bit OS - is it worth it?

I run Mac OS on a MacBook Pro with 4GB of ram. I use windows at work a lot and I think windows 7 really benefits from running a 64bit OS, the more ram the better. Its a sluggish operating system anyway. If you run more then 4GB on a mac in 64bit on Snow Leopard and use any graphic program or logic pro you will really see a big improvement. On games, they are not designed to work in 64bit, so anything over 4GB would not even be used. Not yet anyway, give it a year tops.

I have 4GB and I havent run into any problems yet. But I dont play any FPS or stuff like that. Id think a lot of the RAM would be wasted because IIRC, 32-bit programs cant see more than 4gb.

they can't see more than 2GB unless they are flagged "/LARGEADDRESSAWARE" then they can use ~3GB on 32 bit systems and ~4GB on 64 bit systems

I had 8 gigs in my old rig (e8400), it was totally pointless.
I now have 6 Gigs in my i7-920 rig and its far more than what i use. I would probably have gotten 4 gigs if i didn't want to go for the triple channel feature.

Windows 7 64-bits is just great, Vista 64-bits was vastly inferiour and XP had great potential but was sadly not adequately supported.

Yeah, I had a lot of problems with XP 64.

Vista was...well...Vista, and Win7 works fine for me.

OS X..I was trying to help out a friend with his Mac but aargh, I just cant get good performance on that thing in games, at least not as good as on my PC. (Starcraft II). I think it has a crap video driver or something, it just feels slow. He's got almost the same specs as I do, but his game runs a ton slower. I don't know Mac software like I know windows, however.

Yeah, I had a lot of problems with XP 64.

Vista was...well...Vista, and Win7 works fine for me.

OS X..I was trying to help out a friend with his Mac but aargh, I just cant get good performance on that thing in games, at least not as good as on my PC. (Starcraft II). I think it has a crap video driver or something, it just feels slow. He's got almost the same specs as I do, but his game runs a ton slower. I don't know Mac software like I know windows, however.

Starcraft II Mac coding is a steaming pile of feces people are literally getting 10x the performance on bootcamped Macs

they can't see more than 2GB unless they are flagged "/LARGEADDRESSAWARE" then they can use ~3GB on 32 bit systems and ~4GB on 64 bit systems

On a 32 bit Windows system even programs linked with largeaddressaware will only have access to 2GB unless the system is booted with the /3GB flag in boot.ini (which you should not do).

Anyway, at this point 6-8GB of RAM is worthwhile for a power user, but there's still little point for "joe average".

On a 32 bit Windows system even programs linked with largeaddressaware will only have access to 2GB unless the system is booted with the /3GB flag in boot.ini (which you should not do).

Anyway, at this point 6-8GB of RAM is worthwhile for a power user, but there's still little point for "joe average".

I know people who use 16GB DIMMs :eek: I have no idea what could need those...

I know people who use 16GB DIMMs :eek: I have no idea what could need those...

It might be worthwhile to go with that much RAM if you were doing insane amounts of CAD or 3D modeling work. Otherwise it would be kinda pointless except for a high end server.

I found myself making use of 8GB of RAM back when I used Premiere Pro, Photoshop and AE a lot more. These days I rarely find myself needing more than 4GB of RAM.

It might be worthwhile to go with that much RAM if you were doing insane amounts of CAD or 3D modeling work. Otherwise it would be kinda pointless except for a high end server.

servers and triple SLIed GTX 480s don't mix (I'm pretty sure it's liquid cooled)
EDIT: Correction, they are Quadro 4800s

servers and triple SLIed GTX 480s don't mix (I'm pretty sure it's liquid cooled)
EDIT: Correction, they are Quadro 4800s

With the Quadro cards I'd assume they do CAD/3D stuff. Or else have a lot more money than sense.

Top Bottom