A Babylon 5 Mod for the Final Frontier Mod

Many thanks for the MOD, which I shall try out in due course.
Thanks for the support, hope you enjoy what we've done so far.

I LOVE B5 and which they could start a new series!
You and me both, Studio interference stopped both Crusade and Legend of the Rangers AFIK so I doubt another series will be made unless I won a ton of money on the lottery in which case I'd start looking to invest in a new series!

Live long and prosper.
How disappointing that you finished with a Star Trek quote!!!;)

I'll let you off though I enjoy Star Trek too.

Come on, Psi Corps; "Live long and prosper" is a great Galactic Linguacode greeting in any Sci-fi series. :)

I am, btw, so grateful for your or any MOD which works without endless tweaking, thank you, thank you!

My suspicion is that one of the problems with the cessation of both the B5 series and Crusade was that MS was writing or indeed having to write too many of the scripts to a deadline; but don't get me started on that or this forum will fall over with the discussion we generate!

More power to your modding elbow, Psi Corps! :)

PS. The fall of Psi Corps really deserved more than just one of the later B5 episodes. :(

K.... you said that, Psi Corps, and now you gotta factor that into your next modification! :)

I am getting a lot of "bug options" error msgs. I can play a turn but the msgs dominate the screen. :( Is there perhaps a problem with my version of the Final Frontier mod?

I am getting a lot of "bug options" error msgs. I can play a turn but the msgs dominate the screen. :( Is there perhaps a problem with my version of the Final Frontier mod?

How far into the game are you when you start getting these messages? If it's to do with production and the AI, I believe I have fixed this for the next version.

From the first turn, mate. The game progresses over the first few turns I have tried - it doesn't crash - but I keep getting these error msgs right down the centre of the screen. As I said, I am using the latest Final Frontier update. I checked playing the Star Trek MOD but that is unaffected so I didn't think it was a problem with which version of Final Frontier.

Please let us know when you released a version which deals with this, if it isn't just me.

Making one assumption here: that you installed Civ to the default location. If that is not the case, then the following is probably not the issue.

It's probably "just you", along with anybody else who installed Civ in the default location an is running a version of Windows newer than XP.

Technically, it is a "Final Frontier Plus version issue" (B5 is based on FFP) since it only happens in the post-BUG merge version - it is, however, not actually a bug. You can blame it on the Windows "UAC" feature since that is what is preventing you from writing to the BUG settings files.

The easiest fix is probably to open the properties of the Mods folder (in the folder where the game is installed and the .exe file is located, not anything in the My Documents folders) by right-clicking on it and using the Security tab to set your user account to have Full Control and also set it to propagate the changes to all sub-folders and files in all those folders. (You could start higher up, like at the main Civilization 4 folder, if you want.) This really ought to fix it.

Any mod that uses BUG and stores the settings files in the folder with the mod will have this issue. So will any mod that doesn't use BUG but stores some sort of data there. Some mods that save various sorts of data won't have this problem because they store the settings files in the My Games folder, or it's BtS sub-folder, but that is unusual (FFH2, Master of Mana, Dune Wars, and LoR do this - those are the 4 I have run that have created folders for themselves over there, the first 2 directly in My Games and the other 2 in My Games\Beyond the Sword; the first 2 do not actually use BUG, although I think MoM has incorporated a lot of it, but use those locations to store their own data). Caveman 2 Cosmos actually has it worse: it both has bug and stores other data (it apparently actually rewrites at least one music related XML file in order to get opening menu music that cycles through different songs).

The general solution is to never install games in the Program Files folder. It is only that folder that has the UAC issues. (Well, the Windows folder probably has issues too - never install user programs there. Really. Operating System related stuff only.) Creating a new top level folder called Games, or whatever you prefer, and installing all games there is a much better plan.

It should be re-iterated, God-Emperor, and I thank you for your helpful and informative response, that I don't have this problem with the Star Trek mod or indeed any other mods for Civ IV. I don't choose where the files go to; whether the original installation of Civ IV and BTS or the optional mods I keep my fingers crossed the installation program knows best! Usually, it does. Usually.

Hmm... I gotta say I am leary, not being an IT expert, of mucking around with admin settings. I have a mate who knows a lot more than I do about IT and I shall show your informative thread to him when he next comes round. He can then decide what if anything I should do.

Live long and prosper.

I look forward, Psicorps, to your next version of B5, which will cure this bug.

I appreciate God-Emperor's thread, which is very informative, but I really don't want to start fiddling with the OS admin for one doesn't know where that may lead.

Live long and prosper.

I was hoping to have had a new version ready to upload by now but 2 things have prevented this.

1/ Planetside Combat troops have 'lost' the ability to capture planets. I don't know how this has happened and have been unable to locate the cause of the problem but I am working on it.

2/ I am currently waiting on some Python Code to add to the game which should make the game a little/lot more realistic. That's all I'm going to say on this for now, if I get it in and it works the way I want it to I'll be over the moon and will upload whether or not problem 1 is resolved.

Hi Psicorps

Is your 1. problem xml based? if it is i would love to help you out.
please upload beta and I will see what I can do. If its something else than xml thing then i am out:(

Hi Psicorps

Is your 1. problem xml based? if it is i would love to help you out.
please upload beta and I will see what I can do. If its something else than xml thing then i am out:(

I'm pretty certain it's not xml related however, I've said that before and it's turned out to be just that, an xml problem. The version you are currently playing has 2 types of Planetside combat units an attack unit and a defence unit. The version I am working on has only one Planetside combat unit for each Civ and each of them is a UU. I've checked them all and all have the correct assignment of value to enable them to capture a star system only instead of capturing it they just walk onto the star which retains it's original Civ's allegiance but it does lose it's culture radius as if it had been captured. I think that may be a clue as to where the problem is.

Thanks for the offer of help though!

hmmm..:mischief: it could be an xml thing. copy of your new unit infos would be helpful . could you just post here unit infos for one those new uu units? one unit is enough..

hmmm.. it could be an xml thing. copy of your new unit infos would be helpful . could you just post here unit infos for one those new uu units? one unit is enough..
Due to the nature of the work I've done it's probably better for me to include all of the files that the planetside combat units require or are referenced by.

Here they all are.

Let me know if you isolate the problem.

Due to the nature of the work I've done it's probably better for me to include all of the files that the planetside combat units require or are referenced by.

Here they all are.

Let me know if you isolate the problem.

Ok, this one was fairly easy;) you just have to change combat limit like this

<iCombatLimit>100</iCombatLimit>

Let me know if you have xml related problems, maybe sooner next time:lol:

by the way new version of FF+ (1.8) just came out. You should use it as base of you new version, there are some very nice xml-tags to use and speed improvements are great.

<iCombatLimit>100</iCombatLimit>
Thanks for the help on this! But, according to the Modding Wiki this is a percentage that tells how much damage a unit can give out before retreating. So how would that being set at 0 affect the units ability to capture the star sysem if there are no enemy units present to defeat?

by the way new version of FF+ (1.8) just came out. You should use it as base of you new version, there are some very nice xml-tags to use and speed improvements are great.
That's excellent news, ill get the new version and begin the merge as soon as I can.

That's excellent news, ill get the new version and begin the merge as soon as I can.

At this juncture there is enough custom stuff in B5 that I would recommend merging the new FFP into B5 rather than the other way around. That is, rather than starting with FFP and a removing a lot of stuff and adding the B5 stuff, I would take selected stuff from FFP and put it into B5.

A good difference or merge type tool would be handy for this (WinMerge, for example). I would suggest keeping a copy of the old FFP (rename the folder) and install the new version. Then do a differences on the two to see what exactly changed. I would keep a list of files that seem relevant and then compare the new FFP files with the B5 files and merge as needed.

I would ignore changes/additions to the units, promotions, buildings, leaders, civilizations, and things like that (since B5 uses all different stuff for these anyway) with one exception: the units/promotions Schema has changed. You should use the new schema file for them since it adds tags that you may find useful, this is the info from my change log. Since they all have "minOccurs = 0" you don't ahve to add them to anything that doesn't use them.

Code:
CIV4UnitSchema.xml
- Added FeatureDamageModifiers to PromotionInfo
	positioned after DomainMods (last existing terrain/feature related tag that reads array of integers),
	right before TerrainDoubleMoves
	has minOccurs="0".
- Added FeatureDamageModifiers to UnitInfo
	positioned at end, after UnitCombatDefenseMods (since so far all FFP tags for this have been added to the end)
	has minOccurs="0".
- Added bCanMoveImpassable to PromotionInfo
	positioned after bImmuneToFirstStrikes (last of the booleans)
	right before iVisibilityChange
	has minOccurs="0".
You can see examples of how the new things are used in the Hardened Shields promotion (PROMOTION_SHIELDS_H) which uses the FeatureDamageModifiers to give -5% damage from FEATURE_GRAV_FIELD (gravity field), -20% damage from FEATURE_FALLOUT (radiation cloud), -30% damage from FEATURE_SUPERNOVA_AREA (supernova damage area), and allows movement on impassable terrain/features (which would be Nebula, allowed via the new bCanMoveImpassable tag, copied from the unit info). Units have always had the bCanMoveImpassable (so it is not new there), but also gained the new FeatureDamageModifiers (no unit in FFP uses them so the only examples are the in promotions file).

You should use the new DLL. Some of the other stuff you will want includes:

Code:
CIV4GameOptionInfos.xml 
- New game option: GAMEOPTION_REDUCED_PIRATES (the DLL is expecting it to be there).

FinalFrontierPlus.xml
- Two new text keys to go with the new game option
	TXT_KEY_GAME_OPTION_REDUCED_PIRATES
	TXT_KEY_GAME_OPTION_REDUCED_PIRATES_HELP
- various other things too, some of which are likely to be irrelevant

SevoPediaMain.py
- adjusted in two places to remove items set to bGraphicalOnly from the contents.
	Added check for this setting in getSortedList()
	Added isGraphicalOnly method to definition of TraitInfo class in getTraitInfo to
		return the value from the CvTraitInfo

If you use the bCanMoveImpassable tag on units or promotions you may want to adjust your CIV4FeatureInfos.xml to give FEATURE_ICE (Nebula) some damage/turn. I set it to 10% for FFP; the Hardened SHields allows movement on it and doesn't reduce the damage (since it is the only way to move on the stuff, I just built the reduction I was thinking of into the base damage) but the 3rd level of shields reduces it by 5% (leaving 5% with no additional reduction possible in FFP).

Other than that, there are a couple of tweaks to the Python you should probably do.

First, a simple change to CvAI.py: very close to the start of doCityAIProduction there is a random chance to exit the function (right after the comment that starts "# Small chance") which you can increase from 15 to 20 by changing the "if (iRand < 15):" to "if (iRand < 20):". The DLL is a little smarter now so the overrides can be checked a bit less. There is also a change in this function to the calculation of the "iEnoughUnits" values for fighters and bombers, but you can probably skip that since I don't think you are using that code anyway (skipped via checking whether or not you can build the designated first generation fighter/bomber squadrons, and I think B5 does not have definitions set up for these so it will be skipped).

Second, a slightly larger change in the same CvAI.py file in the doConstructionShipAI function. My changelog nortes on this:
Code:
	give unit a chance to not become a designated base builder when it normally would be selected
		This is a random chance which increases linearly with the number of bases of that type already build
		out of a number that depends on the map size (it is currently out of 10 + 2 * map size,
		which is 0 for duel to 5 for huge, so on a standard map (size 3) there is a N in 16 chance to not do it
		where N is 1 + the number of bases of that type already in existence). With any luck, this will help
		(slightly) the AI keep its systems connected by sending away its construction ships a little less often
		and also help with its economy by slowing down the rate at which it spends money to build bases.
You may want to do that change as well. Since I'm pretty sure you didn't change that function in B5, you can probably just copy the whole thing over to replace the old version of the function. It isn't a long function and the changes are not huge. This allows construction ships to occasionally escape being sent off to build a base, more so as they build more bases. This slightly slows the AI's construction of bases and likewise slightly improves their ability to keep their star systems connected (after pillaging by hostiles) due to sometimes having an extra construction ship to do so, both of which improve their economies a bit (starbases, in particular, are pretty expensive and it takes time to build a replacement construction ship somewhere).

There is also one trivial change to FinalFrontierEvents.py that only affects the debug output. The line that reports the new player ID in onBeginPlayerTurn now also reports whether or not the player has their financial trouble indicator set.

There is a fair chance that this is actually everything you need.

Edit: FinalFrontierTextInfosObjects.xml has also been updated (the original FF file) to update the name for the "Supernova Damage Zone" to be just that, since it used to just say "Damage Zone" which is not highly informative when listed for a promotion that reduces damage for that feature type. There was, oddly, also a second definition for this text key in there that was removed.

Thanks for the help on this! But, according to the Modding Wiki this is a percentage that tells how much damage a unit can give out before retreating. So how would that being set at 0 affect the units ability to capture the star sysem if there are no enemy units present to defeat?

Dont know how accurate this modding wiki is... setting combat limit to 0 makes unit more like great person (nonmilitary) and capturing cities demands military unit.

good luck for merging new ff+, hopefully we have new version out soon.

capturing cities demands military unit
That makes sense strange how they worked before I changed them to a UU for each civ.

good luck for merging new ff+, hopefully we have new version out soon
I'm away for most of this weekend but as monday is a bank holiday I'll be off work so I will try and get the merge completed for monday, however, I am also hoping to go see the Avengers on monday so don't expect the new version too soon.

Top Bottom