A Land of Infinite Compassion: A Buddhist Challenge Story

The Ancient Era

Little is known about the Favshalk before the foundation of Ilustrabism, but since Ilustrabism has been around for so long, it is estimated that the Favshalk lived in much the same way as they did before the founding of the religion that would change the world. Scholars take an especially close look at the codes of conduct that permeated Favshalk life. Informal rules such as, you shall never abandon a man or woman who has, in good faith, asked you for help., would form the ethical basis for Ilustrabism.

Spoiler :

The life of the founder of Ilustrabism, Ilustraba, is also encased in mystery and loving myth. Legend has it that Ilustraba was so intelligent that he regularly won debates with village elders at a young age, and was so kind and compassionate, that he would weep whenever even the smallest bug was killed. While the basic principles of Ilustrabism is known to every schoolchild in the world, Ilustrabism is essential to any history of the Favshalk, so the basic principles will be recounted here as well.

1. Anyone who walks the path of desire will face pain countless times in his or her life.
2. The only way to rid yourself of pain is to cease following the path of desire.
3. The path of desire is abandoned when one follows the path of compassion and wisdom.
4. The ability to follow the path of compassion and wisdom is achieved by following the ethics of Ilustrabism.

The most important ethics of Ilustrabism are as follows:

Treat others as you would want to be treated by them.

Do not let pleasure supplant thought.

Let compassionate reason be your guide through life.

Do not tell lies for your own benefit.

Meditate on the teachings of Ilustraba every day.

The sayings of Ilustraba and his most treasured disciples also grants deep insight into the religion. Some of them are as follows:

It is better to do the right thing when everyone around you says you are wrong, than the wrong thing when everyone around you says you are right.

If you see another on the road in life, claiming that you are on the wrong path when you believe you are in the right in your heart, ignore him, for he is not my disciple.

Respect and love your teachers, but do not grow attached to them.

The one who thinks of others far away from him, but does not think of others close to him, is ineffective. The one who thinks of others close to him, but does not think of others far away from him, is not truly compassionate. The one who thinks of both is my disciple.

Your environment determines who you are. Be ever alert.

All of these pieces of wisdom combined to form one of the greatest religions of all time.

Spoiler :

After the death of Ilustraba, his distraught disciples prepared a magnificent funeral for him. The centerpiece of the funeral was a stone circle, meant to signify that there was no true beginning in life. However, the funeral was on a hill, and when a clumsy disciple dropped the stone, it rolled down the hill. The onlookers were amazed. It went so fast! As the disciples were retrieving the stone circle, one onlooker remarked that the stone held potential. The disciple stopped, and realized that Ilustraba had given them one final gift. Thus was the wheel invented.

Spoiler :

A few years after everyone who had met Ilustraba in person had died, the Favshalk met the light-skinned Arogankhora. Both parties were suitably amazed, as both were unaware that other types of people existed before the meeting. While the Favshalk were eager to teach the Arogankhora the ways of Ilustrabism, a language barrier sadly made the exchange confusing and awkward.

Spoiler :

By the time the youngest of the first ambassadors to the Arogankhora had passed on, a distinction between regular people and those devoted to Ilustrabism had developed. The common people were called Comunashalk and those who dedicated their lives to the study and intense practice of Ilustrabism were called Enga-Parishalk. The Enga-Parishalk gave advice, did rites, and otherwise served as the moral centers of their communities. In return, the Comunashalk gave the Enga-Parishalk food and lodging.

Spoiler :

A few hundred years after the distinction between Comunashalq and Enga-Parishalq developed, rising population once again diversified the Favshalq populace. People who built buildings and the like were called Anaumangashalk, or builder-people. The Mason-people, like the Enga-Parishalk, were given food and shelter by the populace in exchange for providing services in constructing clay huts and the like.

Spoiler :

Before the invention of writing, the teachings of Ilustrabism were passed on orally. Even in those days, people could see the problem with that. The teachings were more likely to be corrupted, changed, lost, or otherwise misunderstood through the generations. The Enga-Parishalk came up with the written word in order to ensure that the teachings would remain pure and un-corrupted throughout history.

Spoiler :

Shortly after the invention of writing, the Favshalk met the Jelehljudi, a tribe of people who took a liking to the Favshalk. While not much is known about their early practices, it is known that they were nomads, much like the Favshalk for much of the ancient era. In addition, they worshiped Oblohafar, the Sky Father, one of the ancient world's earliest examples of Monotheism.

Spoiler :

After meeting the Jelehlyudi, the Favshalk discovered Gold in one of their mines. This Gold was very deep in the Earth, and as a result, it was assumed for many years that the eastern part of the lands of the Favshalk was barren of any material wealth. However, the discovery of gold proved that theory joyously wrong. Things were looking up for the Favshalk.

Spoiler :

Sometime during the discovery of the Oudapersonoy and the suurepaemuhga-tao tribes, the Favshalk discovered agriculture. It is also during this time that the Favshalk ended their nomadism. The ancient era was coming to a close, although the event that would end it was not this event.

Spoiler :

Nor was it the minor golden age when the Favshalk discovered art and aesthetics. The art was mainly used to show primitive paintings of Ilustraba and his more famous disciples, although there were also secular uses of the art as well. In addition, architecture was also affected by this new-found appreciation of the finer things in life. But again, this is not when the ancient era ended.

Spoiler :

The ancient era ended when the Favshalk met the Fanaatikkojens, and discovered their use of slaves: A passage in the first great historical record of the Favshalk, the Grantsigni, described the meeting as thus:

The Favshalk asked the Fanaatikkojens why one of their own would not talk. The Fanaatikkojens explained that the man was a slave, a man who was owned by another. The Favshalk were confused. How could one man own another? When the Fanaatikkojens explained what this entailed, many Favshalk became physically sick.

Spoiler :

That's the first update, if you have any suggestions for my playing style, my writing style, or simply want to say good job, comment away! If you really wanna help me out, feel free to ask me questions about the world the Favshalk live in. It'll really help me develop the setting!

are all of these names real words in Indian/Tibetan/Burmese/Other Buddhist Languages, or did you just make them up :p

Alright... I SUCK AT CIV. This doesn't mean the story is ending. Far from it, I actually cancelled my planned update, just so I could have a chance at winning. What basically happened is I got cocky, ignored my military, and the next thing I know, I am trapped in a thousand year war with the French, with other Civs joining in.

This is why I suggested you guys assist me.

I'd be happy to answer any OOC questions you have about the situation I'm in. If not, I'll still keep playing, but don't be surprised if I play with what seems to be the skill of a drunk, mentally-challenged penguin.

are you more advanced in military tech than the other civs?

Uggh... maybe, I doubt it though. I think I'm doing better though. Right now, my challenge is making the story interesting. I'm sure you've noticed my first update for this story is not very exciting. I think adding characters will help, but...

Don't force yourself to instantly try and make it a novel. Ease yourself into a story. My first story had little actually literature value at the beginning. As I went through it though, it became more in-depth and story-like.

Top Bottom