1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A new map script (MountainCoast)

Discussion in 'FfH2 Modmods, Scenarios, and Maps' started by lonkero173, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Its looking really very nice indeed in this latest version. Two issues however.

1. In the changelog it said you made the maps smaller - Standard is possibly a little too small when I compare it against Lakes Inland Sea. Maybe its my imagination however. Also, the mountain ranges seem almost too wide on this smaller size.

2. The wide, flat unbroken plains annoy me somehow. A few scattered hills, grassland tiles and 1 tile lakes to break up the monotony would be nice in my opinion.

2. lonkero173

lonkero173 Junior Pythoneer

Map scripts are pretty much independent from mods, this should work fine without any, the only mod-dependant aspect is the "true random resources" option as it expects to see FfH specific resources (mana, reagents...)

@Senethro
    Current large is what standard used to be, I'm still trying to find a good balance for the sizes. Also the mountain range size is something I can't really do much about, if I make them any thinner holes will be left too often.

Also the issues with excessive plains should be pretty much solved, its still possible in the current version but I haven't seen the huge unbroken sort in the old screenshots for some time. (which reminds me, I haven't updated the screenshots for ages, most are from 0.9 or something like that....)

3. UNIT 666

UNIT 666 One of Many

The game I was playing (now abandoned because of the new BTS patch) seemed to have a few problems, I think:

1. Two of the map creation options are cut off mid-title, making them next to impossible to understand.

2. Odd distribution of some resources: Bronze and Horses seemed very common in the NE region of the map. Also, there was a forest or jungle poking out from the shore [about 10 tiles large] that had 5 silk resources in it, in the Western area of the map.

I'm not really sure if the resource distribution was just a fluke or what, but I thought you should know.

Other than that, it's a really beautiful mapscript, one which I will be using a lot!

Edit: Also, this was in base FFH, 0.41a, using an AI mod and Blue Marble Terrain. Not that it makes any difference... :\

4. lonkero173

Good point with the creation options, I know what they are supposed to read so I just browse past without noticing anything. I'll do something about it soon.
    As to the resources: the distribution is controlled to some degree by the underlying terrain and features, and combined with occasionally low amounts of certain base terrains this may lead to large clusters of resources. Also the truly random resources are truly random, so if you use that option be prepared for some rather unusual results every now and then.

5. RunningSquirrel

RunningSquirrel Chieftain

It's been since I've checked this thread for updates. I must say the way the resources are placed has improve dramatically. But I was shocked by how much smaller large has become. I don't suppose you could make it bigger maybe ...... please :( ?

6. Jean Elcard

Jean Elcard The Flavournator

Try to use "Huge" or install FlavourMod to get even bigger "Giant" maps. :)

7. Revolutionist

Revolutionist Chieftain

Played my first Mountain Coast game a few days ago.

I definately approve. :goodjob:

I think its pretty much my new 'default' map. It has some of the natural seperation of Erebus, but without all the unconnected sections and huge twisted valleys that can make travel quite difficult.

It has enough in terms of 'walls' that I could predict where trouble would come from, which I like. And there's closed off areas where interesting stuff can happen.
    In my last there was this small wasteland, in the curve of a mountain range, nearly blocked off by an moderately sized lake. It ended up being where Acheron and like a million lairs spawned in. The land was bad enough that neither I, nor the Amurites who could access the place from a small chokepoint, wanted to settle it. Honestly, that place gave me more trouble than any civs in that game. It had a habit of constantly vomitting out wave after wave of barbarians and nasty beasts. The Amurites got it just as bad, too.

8. lonkero173

If you want larger sizes I suggest modifying the script, there's a bit starting on line 1956 that specifies the map size.
    Code:
    grid_sizes = {
                WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_DUEL:        (6,4),
                WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_TINY:        (8,6),
                WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_SMALL:        (10,7),
                WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_STANDARD:    (12,8),
                WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_LARGE:        (15,10),
                WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_HUGE:        (21,14)
            } 
    Those sizes are one fourth of the final size is squares, for some reason civ wants them in that form....
    Posting this here since I doubt I'll be releasing a new version anytime soon.(the script is pretty much ready)

9. Jean Elcard

Jean Elcard The Flavournator

I've chosen these values for FlavourMod's giant sized maps based on your map script:
    Code:
    		grid_sizes = {
    			WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_DUEL:		(6,4),
    			WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_TINY:		(8,6),
    			WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_SMALL:		(10,7),
    			WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_STANDARD:	(12,8),
    			WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_LARGE:		(15,10),
    			WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_HUGE:		(21,14)
    		}
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"]#FlavourMod: Added by Jean Elcard 02/04/2009[/COLOR]
    		if hasattr(WorldSizeTypes, "WORLDSIZE_GIANT"):
    			grid_sizes[WorldSizeTypes.[B]WORLDSIZE_GIANT[/B]] = [B](30,20)[/B]
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"]#FlavourMod: End Add[/COLOR]

To try to create much bigger maps is problematic, because you'll run into memory issues sooner or later (MAFs).

10. armyofwhispers

armyofwhispers Chieftain

This is an awsome map script. I'm playing a game as the kazad and I've got a basically impregnable area surounded by mountains with only four entry poins. All of which have a dwarven fortress limiting acces.

11. UNIT 666

UNIT 666 One of Many

I've had two more observations about this mapscript:

1. Land tiles that are on the end-of-map border can be weird -- i.e. a river that begins on a tundra tile there, and goes down a single tile before ending. I'm not sure if this is possible, but replacing land tiles on the end-of-map border with mountain tiles would make it look nicer (for rivers, at least).

This second one might not be the mapscript's fault, but it seemed noteworthy to me.

2. Some civs seem to get a large area to colonize whereas other civs start off almost within view of eachother, leading to one or two civs dominating the game because of the land (and, as a result, city number) advantage.

This could be an isolated incident or a fluke because I was playing with a few more civs than the game recommended.

Would it be possible to get the starting locations more standardized?

12. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

i feel same at this ... i know, that large areas for mid-to-late-game expansion is one of purposes of this script, but is there any relatively simple tweak how to set standard location more ... standardized ?

edit:
    well ... i think i somehow unconventional-way did it ... :)
    Spoiler :
    in MountainCoast.py:
    2388 ~~#if something goes wrong, allow default implementation
    2389 ~~#if(len(plotlist)<n_players):
    2390 ~~import CvUtil
    2391 ~~import CvMapGeneratorUtil
    2392 ~~CyPythonMgr().allowDefaultImpl()
    2393 ~~return
    2395 ~~#shuffle the players
    (~ = tab)

13. readercolin

readercolin King

Question. Why have I been consistently having problems with this mapscript in multiplayer? Running FFH, Wild Mana, Orbis, or Rise of Darkness, I can use this mapscript perfectly in singleplayer, and it makes for a very nice map. But whenever I try to use this in multiplayer with my girlfriend, it always creates a grasslands map (with grassland, rivers, and a few hills or forests from time to time). Both of us have the exact same copies of the mods (I download, then give to her on a flashdrive), and the exact same copy of Mountain Coast (again, I download, then give to her on a flashdrive).

As for where we placed the map, after fiddling around and having trouble with it for a while, we both ended up placing it in every public and private map folder in the directory (using steam).

-Colin

14. mimic

mimic Magic Box

I have experienced the exact same problem as readercolin when trying to use this map in mp, which is a shame, this mapscript is really good.

15. lonkero173

The map should use different random number generators depending on whether the map is run as single or multiplayer("more random" for single player, guaranteed same results for mp), but I haven't really had a chance to test it so there may be bugs there. I'll take a look at it asap, but I will probably be occupied for the next few days...
    As for the starting positions, the script attempts to place players further appart in "poor" terrain to give all players somewhat equivalent starts, but given how much more uniform(in quality) the map is now compared to the first versions, the differences should not be that dramatic. Also how big an advantage the larger starting are is depends, barbs in particular tend to be a bit of an issue. I usually see the civ's in marginal terrain defeated pretty quickly.

And yes, the rivers can be a bit unpleasant to the eye, but I haven't thought of any good way of dealing with those issues. Mountains on map edges are ruled out, they look far worse than the current form.

16. UNIT 666

UNIT 666 One of Many

Yeah, I've been playing Erebus mapscripts in Orbis a bit, and I see what you mean. I apologize for suggesting it in the first place.

17. 2Hydroclopse

2Hydroclopse Warlord

Hm, when running the script that was included in 051B with a direct connect IP online game, MountainCoast flipped out. This is to say, on load up we had instant and complete OoS -we described our starting locations to each other and checked the rival location in our own instance and they were more or less completely different.

I saved and reloaded into the lobby, once back in game we started exploring as per usual, but many oddities were present. It seems that in several locations Unique Features -such as Remnants of Patria- were placed in improper places -I had found a crab with the label of Remnants of Patria for example-. This weird Unique placing was present in both versions of our lversions -we loaded up his save and explored around as well-.

This seems to be a slightly different MP issue then the ones recently posted -though its possible this has been noted within this thread and my scanning missed it-. Also, this bug is not reliable, sometimes we load up just fine, its only occasionally that we had this problem.

As far as single player goes this script is great -albeit 'huge map' flatlands seem to go on forever and ever, and the flatlands tend to kill most hopes for a future growing civilization-.

Thanks for this script!

-Re-posted from FF051 Bug Thread-

18. lonkero173

(Sry, forgot I had this script to deal with when working on another project of mine. Also haven't been playing civ for some time)
    Apparently the random number generator isn't kicking in as it should, I'll look into it tomorrow (busy today) and hopefully post an update.

19. lonkero173

I can't find the reason the random number generator isn't changing as planned (short on testing opportunities) so I just reverted the entire script to use the default civ random number generation, which should be multiplayer safe.
    Someone verifying that it works/doesn't work would be most welcome (it should, but I don't have the opportunity to test it)

20. feydras

feydras Prince

I tried to download the last two versions but was prompted for a password when extracting each. Any one know why that would be?