A nice source of concepts for medieval units

Stormrage

Ever Present Taskmaster
30 European and Muslim factions, around 50 units per faction.

Just choose a faction (flag-buttons in the top row) and click on one of the unit-thumbnails on the side.

http://totalwar.honga.net/faction.php?v=ss&encode=en

Egzample: Scotland - Highland Nobles

Edit: there are some weird things (the last 3 units mostly) in the Norway Faction, they will be adressing those soon.

EEEEEEEEEEDIT:
A similar thing for the Broken Crescent Mod - Middle east and Indian Factions!
Go here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88835

Egzamples:
Bharat Armoured Spearman of the Rajput States (of not-America)

Bedouin Spearmen of the Abbasid Caliphate:

Only some of the units are original, the others are from the Stainless Steel mod for M2TW: Kingdoms, the best TW mod out there :)

Also, I am adding adding a link to the Faction List from the Broken Crescent mod for Vanilla M2TW to the first post, it focuses on the Middle East + India. I think Blue Monkey might like it :). Click away! - Oh, and in the respective faction threads, some images are replaced by the infamous little red X, atleast on my computer.

Very interesting it seems like Medieval Total War would be a good game to play.
Medieval and Rome Total War are outstanding games. I have Medieval Total War (the first one) and Rome Total War (no expansion). The mods for RTW are fantastic.

Excellent unit reference images! I know, I for one, will be using lots of these. Thanks for finding them Storm, I love the designs featured on lots of those units.
I would give credit to the people that made those units though, even if you only used it as inspiration.

I contacted the makers of the Europa Barbarum mod and asked to use unit images for just that purpose. They agreed, provided that it be made known that they had created the original unit or stating that "so and so made the unit using images from the Europa Barbarum mod".

I wasn't making the units, though. I was taking screenshots and giving them to Rob. I don't believe he used them though.

Well, if anyone picks one of these units, just tell me and I`ll go talk to the guys :)

Altho, their designs were probably also based on someone else`s.. :hmm:

@BadKharma - check the M2TW intro movie, actuall gameplay gfx (you have to turn the sound on manually in the player, for some obscure reason).
http://digitalstore.warcry.com/product.aspx?gid=267&pid=1652

I would give credit to the people that made those units though, even if you only used it as inspiration.

I always give credit where credit is due! Since I haven't made any unit threads yet, you don't exactly have any evidence of that but I think it's underhanded to not reference the inspiration. So no worries, I'll always try to cite everyone who contributed directly and indirectly in anything I post (if anything were to be missing, it would merely be due to me forgetting some, in which case, I would quickly fix it on notification of such an instance).

Be careful when using these units as a reference. Some are not historically correct, especially the Scots. No Kilts before the Renaissance!

Those Scots look like they are from Braveheart.. The movie is incorrect too? :hmm:

EDIT: turns out it is:
Wiki said:
Historian Elizabeth Ewan describes Braveheart as a film which "almost totally sacrifices historical accuracy for epic adventure".[1]

As well, historian Sharon Kressa notes that the film contains numerous historical errors, beginning with the wearing of belted plaid by Wallace and his men. She points out that in the period in question, no Scots "wore kilts of any kind," and when they finally did begin wearing their belts outside their plaids, it was not "in the rather bizarre style depicted in the film".[2] She compares the inaccuracy to that of a film about "Colonial America showing the colonial men wearing late 20th century blue jeans, but instead of having the men's blue jeans use a zipper in the front, putting the zipper prominently on the left hip."[3]

One of the most notable inaccuracies is the idea that Isabella of France, wife of Edward II, had an affair with William Wallace, and that Edward III was the result of this liaison. Their supposed dalliance occurs in the film at the Battle of Falkirk, which occurred in 1298, when Isabella was about three years old. To compound the film's time-line problem, Edward III was born in 1312, some seven years after Wallace's death, and fourteen years after Falkirk

Top Bottom