A note to map makers, please read

Not that I know of, sorry. There are however, many map files here, you might find the right one for your purpose.

There is a bmp to bic utility, but it still requires a lot of work.

how do i put a download link into the thread for my faction mod?

how do i put a download link into the thread for my faction mod?
  1. go to the download page for your mod
  2. copy the url (http// whatever)
  3. go to the thread & edit or write the post where you want to put it
  4. highlight whatever words you want to link like "download here" for example)
  5. click on the button that looks like the world with chain
  6. paste the url into the dialog box
  7. save the post, and you're done

www.analogx.com
this guy has a free screen capture utility. I personally like the one built into windows. Just hit the "print screen" key and then paste the information into the program "MS Paint". The AnalogX one allows you to automatically name and save the files for taking lots of screen shots fast.

yeah i like it too. its the one I use.

If you use Gimp, the process is Shift -> Print Screen Then (on Gimp File menu) Create from Clipboard.

p.s. I tried to put a ":" after the word menu above, but the website read the combination of that and the parenthesis as a smiley emoticon :) , so I guess I can never use that combination of punctuation signs in regular text anymore.....Sigh....

Not to continue the slightly OT, but I find that saving the image to the map size you want in pixels (like 180x180), then opening up that into MS Paint with the grid on at 1200% resolution, allows for very accurate maps. This is what I've done for my Japanese and Californian map, as well as a few others. It can be painful mapping one square at a time, but I find it to be well worth it in the end.

im looking for a bix to bmp @ bmp to bix utility...

also how can i make a bigger than 160x 160 map? i am using civ3ptw

the idea is that i want to use the existing southern Greece i have made and add northern Greece as well :)

what i do is i just go to the generate world button. its just a picture of a globe on the task bar. then it will ask you what size you want. it will generate a random map but I just fill it with ocean then start making my own map. im sure theres a better way to do it. its just my way.

Gojira, I don't believe it is OT to discuss mapping in the mapping thread. Just my opinion.

I use various mapping techniques, depending on the map. For my Western US map, I took a high contrast terrain map and repainted it with the bmp to bic colors then rendered it with that program. The result was nearly photo-realistic on the minimap, though it took a few weeks to add rivers, trees and land mark features to it.

When I redid the fictional world of Barsoom, however, I used a different method, overlaying a grid over a hand-drawn map and then placing terrain square by square. Painstaking, but required less fixing on the back end, so may have been less work overall. There is a full discussion of the process I used >here< . I made this image of it with labels for the SP guys:

Doing Barsoom taught me a little trick that I used when I did Gotham City recently for King Arthurs's Superhero Mod: Again, I was working from a line-drawn map (see it >here<). To do that map I first turned it on it's side, then reduced the sized to 100 by 100 so that it would render in b2b. I turned it into a two color outline, using the "water" and "grassland" colors from the bmp to bic program, then (and this is the trick) squeezed it a little thinner than it was originally, so that it has the appearance of more perspective :

Gotham Map Prep.jpg

After I rendered it, I put it in the Map Tweaker and lopped much of the bottom off.
The result looks less like a map than an aerial view:

Gotham City All Screen reduced.jpg

These are evidence of the sad truth about maps: there is no single way to do it, save that I've found the bmp2bic program and the Map Tweaker extremely useful in each instance.

Ok. I'll remember that.

BTW, do u know how to post new maps? I have a map of caladan (a world in the dune franchise) I want to post and I'm really getting tense. [pissed]

Top Bottom