• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

A pcx modification question...

Underpaid

Multi units...
Right now, I am try to make a more rough-looking grassland and plains, as well as a darker blue ocean. Only problem is, I am a COMPLETE novice when it comes to graphics modification programs. :( Could someone please help and tell me how to do these things? I have Paint Shop Pro 8 and the GIMP.

Well as far as terrain goes, you can do everything you need to do with GIMP (Im not sure about the other)...the best advice I can offer is, make back up copies of the original files that you edit. Then just play with the options...I used GIMP for over a year before I got the ins and outs of it...

As far as editing terrain, its trial and error...you just have to mess with the pixels at the edges until they match up...its difficult, and tedious, but worth it in the end (usually)

Thanks, I got a little of it! I just made the mine graphic that I'm using more contrasting, so you could actually see it on the mountains.

PSP is way better than Gimp btw, I used both programs quite intensely.

Did you install the runtime enviroment for Win? I never had any problems with the gimp and never heard of any serious so your post suprised me somehow..

Did you install the runtime enviroment for Win? I never had any problems with the gimp and never heard of any serious so your post suprised me somehow..

I did, and it doesn't let me save anything or do half of the actions of the menus and buttons.

Heh, yeah, but I'm trying to do more than fix the palette. Anyway, I almost think I got it. I've been messing around with PSP, and the results I see are interesting.

Underpaid... You can Recolor or Alter Terrain Graphics as you like. Just apply the same procedures to all terrain so they will all continue to blend as they should. Example...if you adjust the Contrast for Grassland, you will need to apply this same contrast adjustment to all terrain. The biggest task is to maintain the same Terrain Look with all terrain files so the colors and contrast are blend together well. For example, Water is in with the other land terrain files so if you change the color of the water, you must change this in all of the files with water in the various land terrain. Be sure to maintain the indexes for the Magenta and Green shades on the Terrain palettes.

PSP is is best for editing graphics because it will allow you to be able to do more easier and better. As for exact procedures to change Graphics, specific questions are necessary concerning any single procedure because there are too many possibilities to cover with any general answers.

Underpaid... You can Recolor or Alter Terrain Graphics as you like. Just apply the same procedures to all terrain so they will all continue to blend as they should. Example...if you adjust the Contrast for Grassland, you will need to apply this same contrast adjustment to all terrain. The biggest task is to maintain the same Terrain Look with all terrain files so the colors and contrast are blend together well. For example, Water is in with the other land terrain files so if you change the color of the water, you must change this in all of the files with water in the various land terrain. Be sure to maintain the indexes for the Magenta and Green shades on the Terrain palettes.

PSP is is best for editing graphics because it will allow you to be able to do more easier and better. As for exact procedures to change Graphics, specific questions are necessary concerning any single procedure because there are too many possibilities to cover with any general answers.
No, I just want to recolor/alter certain terrains, but there are bits of different terrain in one file, so I'd have to select an area that just has that one terrain and edit it...

And yes, I learned the Pink/Green palette problem the hard way. Fortunately, it was easy to fix.

Top Bottom