A problem with 2d leader backgrounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, given how they really upped the detail on the maps and buildings to facilitate the little wonder movies... I'm surprised they don't just zoom into the map, using the leader's actual capital as background.

Given the camera work they already had to do for the wonder movies, this feels like a logical extension. Maybe with a shader/filter on top of it to match the lighting of the leader.

I highly doubt any of the in-game models other than wonders are high-poly or high-res enough to bear that kind of close up.

As England video was released, we can now wonder at another thing

why are backgrounds SO DARK firaxis pls

This is third leader background we see, and it is again super dark+dark red...

So you focus on the leader more than the entirety of their scene. The background is a simple accent to contrast the leader (who's more bright) than the background (dark), your attention is meant to be exlusively on the leader themselves.

They cheaped out terribly on the 2D backgrounds in Civ6. One of the best backgrounds in Civ 5 is with that (Dutch?) guy who`s reading a book by the window or the Brazilian guy sat behind his desk or even Bluetooth up on his boat. Even the Japanese guy on a green field adds some kind of `place` to where he is.

All very immersive.

Now they just stand before a washed out background. Kills immersion.

So you focus on the leader more than the entirety of their scene. The background is a simple accent to contrast the leader (who's more bright) than the background (dark), your attention is meant to be exlusively on the leader themselves.

I agree. I barely notice the background and focus on the leader, which is how it should be.

Actually, China and Japan backgrounds are also dark :cry:

What the hack?

I agree. I barely notice the background and focus on the leader, which is how it should be.

Actually no, it shouldn`t.

Often a Leader`s background represented his position and character, (the good parts of his character) giving you some idea of the kind of person he is.

Even on tv when a leader - like the Queen (in the Queen`s Christmas speech or some other announcement) appears, her background is always carefully designed to represent her position and ethos.

It`s much the same with US President.

You may not notice it, but it`s there and they do it all the time.

You will never see a dark featureless background - Unless they`re terrorists.

Actually no, it shouldn`t.

Often a Leader`s background represented his position and character, (the good parts of his character) giving you some idea of the kind of person he is.

Even on tv when a leader - like the Queen (in the Queen`s Christmas speech or some other announcement) appears, her background is always carefully designed to represent her position and ethos.

It`s much the same with US President.

You may not notice it, but it`s there and they do it all the time.

You will never see a dark featureless background - Unless they`re terrorists.

This is a game, not real life. They want you to see the leader and his or her expressions. Not to be staring over their shoulder at a burning city.

I like the idea of directing the player's attention to the leader. The backgrounds are still too dark though.

This is a game, not real life. They want you to see the leader and his or her expressions. Not to be staring over their shoulder at a burning city.

Weak response. Does not deal with the problem at all.

Backgrounds need to be more reflective of their leaders, not just dark.

Weak response. Does not deal with the problem at all.

Backgrounds need to be more reflective of their leaders, not just dark.

No. They need to be subdued so that the leader is the primary thing you look at. When you order your dinner at the restaurant, you enjoy the flavors of the food. You don't marvel at the flatware it is served on.

What's the problem with dark backgrounds? Since they are static, you don't need visual focus on them. Players should focus on leader itself.

Of course, it returns us to the question of whether 2D backgrounds are good, but, IMHO, with those cool leaders I don't feel like devs need to spend more resources on leader backgrounds.

What's the problem with dark backgrounds? Since they are static, you don't need visual focus on them. Players should focus on leader itself.

Of course, it returns us to the question of whether 2D backgrounds are good, but, IMHO, with those cool leaders I don't feel like devs need to spend more resources on leader backgrounds.

The problem is they look a bit dull and generic. It feels as dark as in a basement.

No. They need to be subdued so that the leader is the primary thing you look at. When you order your dinner at the restaurant, you enjoy the flavors of the food. You don't marvel at the flatware it is served on.

I won't fully enjoy my meal if it's served on a dirty paper towel. And a restaurant's interiors do play their role in overall experience. Also a high-end restaurant WILL invest in flatware that reflects the establishment's status.

It seems the defenders are missing the opposite scenario - where the background is SO out of place that you end up noticing it first. Did Civ 5 backgrounds actually distract you? How many complaints about distraction did we receive back then?

The problem is they look a bit dull and generic. It feels as dark as in a basement.

I don't think such impression will remain in actual game.

Exactly. They're too gloomy, it's almost a mood breaker. And because the map screen is so vivid and bright, the contrast is even more striking. Here you are, playing on lavish green plains, sailing on deep blue waters, when suddenly... you meet this fellow in a dark and lugubrious scenery. You'd say his kingdom is decadent, no?

I'm no digital artist, so excuse my lack of skills, but I did a quick alternative version of Victoria's screen (imagine it made by Firaxis's superb artists). Which version would you say is more vibrant and more adequately conveys the vigour of Victoria?

Exactly. They're too gloomy, it's almost a mood breaker. And because the map screen is so vivid and bright, the contrast is more striking. Here you are, playing on lavish green plains, sailing on deep blue waters, when suddenly... you meet this fellow in a dark and lugubrious scenery. You'd say his kingdom is decadent, no?

I'm no digital artist, so excuse my lack of skills, but I did a quick alternative version of Victoria's screen (imagine it made by Firaxis's superb artists). Which version would you say is more vibrant and more adequately conveys the vigour of Victoria?

Spoiler :

Yeah, I hope this will be easy to mod. This is the first thing I would like to mod, in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom