1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A programmers perspective on a buggy release.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Bug Reports' started by civhawaii, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Oneluv

Oneluv Chieftain

Nice first post, stallion. Him being a programmer and getting paid for it does in fact make him an expert. You may not like his opinion but he is a professional in his field and gave his professional opinion. Deal with it.

"shut up and play it" really? You sat at your computer had all the time in the world to craft your first post and that's the dreck you manage to profer? Wow. Welcome to the brave new world. "shut up and play it" that has to be one of the dumbest things I've seen in print in a while. Thanks for the laugh.

Nice post. Totally agree. Nice to hear a professional opinion over the juvenile clap trap. Maybe with enough noise a head or two will roll at 2K. Probably not but it's a nice thought.

I'm really getting fed up with this garbage.

2. NecroDMI

NecroDMI Chieftain

I played for 10 hours and found 5 confirmed bugs. WTF are you talking about?

3. ZXTT

ZXTT Chieftain

The bottom line is that games have to be released at more or less a certain time in order to make financial sense. Gamers have demanded quite complex games for the past 15 or so years, slowly increasing year to year for most of that time. With price more or less constant and increased sales being offset by higher development costs, we have a trade-off between features and quality. The game won't sell without features, hence quality loses.

If we as gamers were able to change this, by say not buying buggy games, I'm afraid we would find mostly simpler games available, with only a very few blockbuster franchises delivering complex games.

4. NecroDMI

NecroDMI Chieftain

In addition; why did they commit to a hard release date. This is the root cause.

5. croxis

croxis Chat room op

Almost every publisher commit to hard release dates. It is very very rare to find one that allows their dev studios to delay a game. And only then is when the dev studio self publishess, has significant decision making power with the publisher, and/or has significant financial backing to continue development.

Remember, it is very likely that Firaxis was contractually bound to Take2 on when to release the game.

6. lemmy101

lemmy101 Chieftain

I fail to see what you're misunderstanding here? Of course you did, you're one of the people complaining about them. What about the 50,000-200,000 or whatever that have never posted anything and have been perfectly happy and experienced no bugs? And as I said, I appreciate it probably needed another couple of weeks of time, I just fail to see how it's like some massive betrayal that renders the money you paid somehow null and void despite the fact if they did delay it two weeks you would have NO GAME to play right now, which is surely much worse than a slightly buggy game?

7. NecroDMI

NecroDMI Chieftain

There is no delay if there is no hard release date. Ask Toyota what happend to there quality reputation when they released vehicles too soon. Oh yeah, people died in those "beta" releases and people stopped buying there cars. CIV 6 no way in hell.

8. GreyIago

GreyIago Chieftain

He just wants to know why there are bugs in a fresh release. Unpossible! :lol:

9. NecroDMI

NecroDMI Chieftain

These are very obvious bugs. I can understand having some minor details that need to be fine tuned, but game play has been sacrificed. It's obvious by the outcry. It is undeniable.

10. aMoralAtheist

aMoralAtheist Chieftain

Adobe Photoshop CS5 costs how much? And Civ5 costs how much? Office 2010 home and business costs how much? and civ5 costs how much? Exactly. How many large profile business softwares cost ~50 dollars?

11. croxis

croxis Chat room op

Can I have your stuff?

Oh wait wrong game....

By the way, your fault for not waiting for the release to see what the field experience is like. This is capitalism. The burden of knowledge is on the consumer, not the company.

12. lemmy101

lemmy101 Chieftain

There's something to be said for just lying back in your chair and letting the world breeze over you and not getting outraged óver a few bugs in a game, with all the much more bad things going on in the world today much more worthy of your outrage. It's just silly, really. Did you not get your nan that hip operation so you could buy this game or something? It baffles me why everyone's so angry about it considering it will be sorted out soon can't we all just have a bit of patience instead of acting like we've all been massively betrayed somehow.

13. NecroDMI

NecroDMI Chieftain

I am more dissapointed in carry over of civ4. I was hoping for a huge step forward when the words "new gaming engine" where used. I am still fumbling around in a crappy gaming lobby with a 50/50 chance of having a playable game.

14. vranasm

vranasm Chieftain

Actually I don't think the game has so many bugs in their real sense of word, since i didn't meet any in my 3 gaming sessions (except some minor things, I admit I am playing on GF9800 with DX9 so that definitely is most tested config i suppose at least from sys. requirements and i think better cards like 5xxx ati or 4xx nvidia can have bigger problems especially under DX11).
    Definitely one of better functioning game releases. what worries me are design decisions that influence a lot of things and definitely influence for example AI.

AI is really bad. But to some extend I don't think it's fault of programmers, since designers made unrealistic assumptions about it.

But still better then the feelings then like for example ETW, WHO...those things I feeled like i was robbed. This time I just hope for some miracle with better scripted AI.

15. GreyIago

GreyIago Chieftain

Uh, I'm gonna go with no? Unless, as your later comment indicated, you are talking about multiplayer. And, really, who cares about multiplayer?

16. lemmy101

lemmy101 Chieftain

Consider that bug fixes and changes can cause other bugs. Because something seems obvious to you, those problems could have been introduced the day before release for all you know and these can and do easily slip through the net. It's not necessarily like the problems were there since day one and the QA team somehow foolishly missed it for 6 months of testing.

As I say, an ignorance to how the process works means you make wildly incorrect assumptions on how unreasonable or unexpected these things are.

17. croxis

croxis Chat room op

A number of people do care about it. Just because you do not does not mean it should be discounted.

18. gonzo562

gonzo562 Chieftain

I am no programmer i am just some regular dude who is enjoying this game who does not even notice most of these bugs you are talking about. Also i bet their are millions of consumers out their who are like me who don't even notice the bugs and are enjoying playing the game.

so enlightenment me and tell me some of the bugs in the game and why I am getting screwed

Also business software and gaming software is completely different.

19. lemmy101

lemmy101 Chieftain

I'm not saying it should be discounted, just suggesting you get some perspective is all. You must be fortunate that the biggest thing in life you have to worry about is a game having a few bugs.

20. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Being unable to end a 10 turn peace treaty after 40 turns isn't "gamebreaking"?

Lulwut.