A Request to the Modder

Speedbird 48

Chieftain
I understand as a French man you are still mad that your leaders were incompetent in World War II, but there was no need to take your anger out on a mod of this quality. You realize that in the way you implemented it, the magniot line makes it impossible to stop a French invasion? When you can FINALLY declare war on Belgium and the Netherlands, it's too late: The Wermacht has been depleated of units because you were holding off OP French and British tanks on the magniot line. Could you please make the Magniot line balanced? Perhaps make it harder for the French to invade? When you cannot declare war on Belgium or the Netherlands, and you already have British and French troops in your borders, it destroy's all the fun the mod could have provided

Not my fault if civ5 AI is smarter than them...

But I can't wait to see your comments after playing the Stalingrad scenario.

I suppose that if you play as USSR (and lose which is possible with the mod's setting and reduced OOB for the human player) or play as Germany (and win, but congrats if you do, that's the most difficult scenario of all) you'll accuse me of being a nazi.

Simple truth: today games (and gamers) are all about easy win and instant gratification. That's not what I want, I find fun in challenge, not in shiny "you win this" or big "+1500XP" everywhere on the screen, my mods are made with my gaming philosophy in mind.

That means the difficulty is based on which side you pick (at least in the Stalingrad and Europe 1939 scenarios), if you play as U.K. or Greece on the Europe map, there are around 75% chance (maybe more) that the Fall of france will happen in 1940. But if you play as Italy or Germany, you'll have to fight for it.

Now, once you've managed to understand the supply mechanism and have a bit more experience with the rock/paper/scissors of the mod, you will not find it impossible to defend your position as Germany at the beginning of the game.

First, of course, don't use all your troops to invade Poland, you need only half of them for a quick victory there.

Second use AT-gun (or other AT units) in defensive positions, while fortifying your infantry in hills/forest.

And FYI, the Maginot line was requested by users for a loooooong time, but as I thought that it would make things "unbalanced" (as someone -not me- had pointed in the main thread, if France/U.K. had attacked Germany after the Poland invasion, the war in Europe would have ended in December 1939), it was set as an option.

I understand as a French man you are still mad that your leaders were incompetent in World War II but there was no need to take your anger out on a mod of this quality
He definetly didn't. I played it and it was awesome!

the magniot line makes it impossible to stop a French invasion?
Yes, because to stop the french invasion, you need to use the Siegfried Line on the right Rhine side to hold it of. I did it and it worked perfectly.

The Wermacht has been depleated of units because you were holding off OP French and British tanks on the magniot line.
What units and where did you place them? You understand that placing your tanks on the frontline to be obliterated by enemy stronger tanks is a stupid idea? That's why Rommel came up with AA-88 flaks being placed to hold of the british Matildas. For total realism, France and Britain shouldn't actually engage at all along the Magniot Line. Cause that what's happend after the Poland invasion (google "Sitzkrieg"). But the AI does actually engage you. However, if you place propper defenses along the Siegfried Line (Rommel's idea might be of interest in achieving this...), you will have no problems.

When you cannot declare war on Belgium or the Netherlands, and you already have British and French troops in your borders, it destroy's all the fun the mod could have provided
On the contrary. While you can't declare war on them, this is your time to build up a massive Tank II/III and mobile AA army to prepare for "Sichelschnitt" and execute it instantly once war has been declared.

or play as Germany (and win, but congrats if you do, that's the most difficult scenario of all)
Yes, the Stalingrad scenario as Germany was awesome to play! And yes, I won that. It was hard, difficult and it was a back and forth over the city center all the way up to the end. That was HELL!!! No way of holding it long enough. Like the original fight it was a meat grinder for both sides. Perfectly reenacted in this scenario imho! Kudos!

today games (and gamers) are all about easy win and instant gratification. That's not what I want, I find fun in challenge, not in shiny "you win this" or big "+1500XP" everywhere on the screen, my mods are made with my gaming philosophy in mind.
And I love that! The WWII as Germany is very very challenging and you are allowed almost no wrong steps! You have to plan in advance so that you have the right amount of troops and the right time in the right place. Especially if you want to make it as original as possible. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work. But in general, you have the chance to achieve a lot of stuff just like it was done originally.

if you play as U.K. or Greece on the Europe map, there are around 75% chance (maybe more) that the Fall of france will happen in 1940. But if you play as Italy or Germany, you'll have to fight for it.
And I did! Hell was that a challenge to get historical Fall of France! I even managed to get it on JUST THE RIGHT TURN. That was such a blunt rush for Paris... Every strategic would say: wtf, just make a strong frontline, you are rushing this like horsehocky. Are you crazy??? (Of course I am, I reenact Hitlers Blitzkrieg strategy. It is SUPPOSED to be crazy!!!!!)

you will not find it impossible to defend your position as Germany at the beginning of the game.
It is definetly possible. I did it several times.

Great mod Gedemon, I had so much fun figuring out how to fight the operations to get them right. However, some stuff I found to be impossible to achieve: Taking Norway in the right time for example. There are just not enough units for this if I want to get the Fall of France with brute force "Sichelschnitt" to Paris. I need all the units there and they won't be back in time if I send them to Norway first. Also, taking Greece is way way waaay more longer in game than it was in history. I have to allocate a lot of resources there while historically, they took it mostly with paradrop infantry. For both scenarios, I said to me "see it as partisan war inside their countries", that worked ;)

Also, I missed "Operation Sonnenblume" (Rommel's Africa Corps). Would've given me some more things to do while preparing for "Barbarossa" :)

I really hope for a civ6 adaptation at some point. Or perhaps I will undust civ5 at some point for this. Might even want to add the missing "Sonnenblume" to it, if I am able to understand the code for that :D

First of all I would like to say thank you for not banning me for this. As a mod you would have been perfectly justified in doing so lol, thank you for the tips guys! The battle of Stalingrad was historically difficult, so no I don't think I would have complained as it could have went either way.

Well, after this post I went back to Steam and found out that there is a R.E.D. WWII REVIVED mod :D I did the german campaign again (actually, I am still playing it). And what can I say? Just get your Siegfried Line full with infantry and AAs all the way up to the Ardennes and then see that you overrun Netherlands and Belgium once war is declared. I took Amsterdam on the first turn, Brussels on the second. And then brute forced my way with Panzer IVs to Paris. I triggered Fall of France once again exactly on the historic date when Paris was captured :)

Sidenote: I had to bombard the city with He-111s, but that I also did with Danzig at the beginning of the Poland campaign. Not exactly historical accurate but needed for taking Danzing on the first day of war and Paris at the right time. Also, the revived mod made taking Norway way easier, thank god :D

Well guys I did it. France fell July 1st 1940. The suggestions of heavy placement of field guns and infantry along the border helped, but I came up with something else that will either come back to bite me horribly later, or have been the reason for my victory: I sent the entire Kriegsmarine into the English channel, and made it extremely difficult for the British to send their tanks and soldiers into France. Out of curiosity, what is going to happen to them after the scripted fall of France? Are the units killed, or sent back to British territory? Finally, having built up my air force early on helped immensely as well. Constant JU-87 and JU-88 Attacks on British and French tanks crippled them, and the HE-111s made city capture possible in two turns. Thanks for the advice! Now I am assuming the British will keep attempting to raid France? What is a good way to repel their attacks? I am considering lining the coastline with Howitzers. Would this be a smart idea?

Top Bottom