A Simple and Regulated NES

People all over Russia mourned at the news. The tsar was dead, having passed away of illness. Nations all over the world poured in their condolences to the new tsar, Mikhail's young son Alexei Romanov. Mikhail would long be remembered for his love of peace and learning, as well as his prominent role in negotiating an end to the American War.

========================

In his planning room deep in the heart of the Kremlin, Alexei was smiling. He had loved his father deeply, but thought that the old man's desire for peace was a sign of softness. A messenger entered the room with news for the new tsar, causing Alexei to smooth his face into an unreadable state.

"Have my plans been executed?" asked Alexei.

"Yes my Lord Tsar, everything you asked for. And no one else suspects a thing."

"Very good. You are dismissed," replied Alexei. The young tsar's face broke out into a wolfish smile once again as the messenger departed. His father may have been a peaceful man, but Alexei Mihailovich Romanov was not.

To: Russia
Subj: Terrible Loss
Your countries loss is a sad one, a great man has passed away. A man who's life was dedicated to peace and prosperity. As an act of respect Britain shall fly all our flags at half-mast, an action reserved for only members of the royal family.
I dearly hope that the new Tsar is as wise as his father and be-friends all nations before him.
Our deepest condolences,
King Blackadder

To: King Haakon Magnusson
Subj: Welcome
As the King and undisputed ruler of Great Britain and it's colonies I'd like to welcome you as a peaceful neighbour and friend. We hope that you will help us in creating a friendly Europe with strong friendships.
Yours,
King Blackadder

To: Shah Darius I
Subj: Australia
As you know our two countries border each other in Australia. I hope that you will respect our positions and stay upon your half of the island. I hope that through this peace shall be maintained.
Yours.
King Blackadder

To: Emperor Hans Hickthen
Subj: Welcome
As the King and undisputed ruler of Great Britain and it's colonies I'd like to welcome you as a peaceful neighbour and friend. We hope that you will help us in creating a friendly Europe with strong friendships.
Yours,
King Blackadder

To: King Rey Juan Carlos II & King Monrique de Bourbon IV
Subj: An Official Alliance
I have enclosed an alliance offer which I hope all our nations can sign, this treaty shall be available so that we may all work together for a peaceful solution in a conflict:

London-Paris-Madrid Peace Pact
I. If one Pact Member is declared war upon then it is the duty of all other members to aid that member by declaring war upon the aggressor.
II. All members agree to exchange in technology and military but are allowed to keep certain information secret if neccessary.
III. All members ports are open for free trade between all pact members.
IV. If a pact member declares war against another nation then the other members do not have to aid that member.
V. All conflicts must be resolved peacefully if possible.
VI. All information in this treaty shall be reviewed every 10 years depending on the inclusion of new members and current international affairs.
Signed Blackadder .................... ....................

I dearly hope you shall sign this and add anything you feel neccessary.
Yours,
King Blackadder

The death of a Tsar

Augustus sat quietly at his oversized desk as his foreign minister read the communique from the new Russian Tsar.

Romanov had indeed been killed, this news was just confirmation of the message he had gotten from his secret police agent in Moscow. All reports indicated that Romanov had died honorably in his sleep from a long illness, but the timing of it seemed all to conveinent to Caesar. Romanov the senior was a dear friend to Caesar, and his passing will certainly lead to much speculation.

No matter, that is an internal issue for Alexi to figure out. Caesar knew of Alexi, having met him before during visits with Romanov. He knew that Tsar Alexi would be a ruthless tactitian, and very pragmatic about Russia's role in world events. Whereas Tsar Romanov was a politician first, and isolationist at that, Augustus knew from his profile that Tsar Alexi would not be sitting back and waiting for the world to come to him.

"Bring me Maximus!" called the Caesar.

Upon Maximus' arrive, Caesar advised of the events in Moscow, and finally ordered him to proceed with Caesar Directive X.

"So it is really happening?" asked a stunned Maximus.

"Yes my friend," Caesar replied, "we have no choice, the events in Moscow have confirmed it. The Roman army must respond to the challenge in our world, everything has changed now that Romanov is dead. Make me proud Maximus!"

Augustus was more warm and friendly with General Maximus than usual. He knew that much blood would be shed over the coming weeks. He hoped that Maximus' blood would not be a part of that, but the interests of Rome must be defended.

For Maximus' part, he responded as always in these situations. With a stiff stand at attention, and firm salute, he shouted "Hail Caesar!" and left the chambers.

Augustus slumped in his chair, yes, he hoped there would be a minimum of casualties, but casualties there would be indeed....Romanov was dead, there was no other choice.........

What I feared has happened. Toasty was right; Britain and France are now too weak to really have a chance. Rome, Russia, Germany and Persia have ganged up on France mainly to teach them a lesson for being bullies. Britain as France's ally seems to also have to pay a price.

But Britain is a naval power, and many seem to have underestimated them, so read on.

Losses will be tremendous as you are attacking nations now fighting for their lives, especially in Britain's sea battles, but many more will live to fight another day, dug in.

Naval battles are always the first part of invasion when it comes to islands, so I will resolve these first:

EUROPEAN WATERS

Russia=50 ships(Ancient)
Persia=100 ships(Ancient)
Germany=150 ships(Medieval)
Rome=100 ships(Medieval)

Britain=350 ships(Medieval)
France=100 ships(Medieval)

The Axis try to blockade Britain and France.

The Allies(France and Britain) held the advantage of number over the Axis(Germany, Russia, Rome and Persia, so called cause your positions remind me a bit of WW2!) in European waters, and their technological advantage soon decided it. Admiral Nelson led Britain to a crushing victory over the combined fleets before the French ships had even arrived, although Britain had paid a heavy price. But the Allies ruled the seas in Europe, and so Britain at least was safe.

Russian losses=50 ships
Persian losses=100 ships
German losses=150 ships
Roman losses=100 ships

British losses=200 ships
French losses=None

ATLANTIC OCEAN

Rome=200 ships(medieval)
Germany=150 ships(medieval)

Britain=100 ships(medieval)
France=100 ships(medieval)

The Roman Fleet engaged first, and was mostly destroyed for heavy French losses. Then the Germans arrived, and Britain's battered ships began to go under. Eventually, the Allies were defeated, but for huge Axis cost.

Roman losses=180 ships
German losses= 120 ships

British losses=100 ships
French losses=100 ships

The Roman and Germans used their naval power to try and support landings, but failed as medieval cannon were very poor at attacking shore targets - land cannon were better and hit ships easier than ships hit land.

Eventually they settle down to just preventing reinforcements.

INDIAN OCEAN

Britain=200 ships

Persia=200 ships
Rome=100 ships

The British easily overwhelm the ancient Persian fleet, and are mopping up when the Romans arrive. After a fierce battle, the Romans join their allies at the bottom of the ocean.

British ships immediately spread out looking for transports,
knowing that invasions are likely.

British losses=150 ships

Roman losses=100 ships
Persian losses=200 ships

AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND

British=Australia:1.5 divisions New Zealand:0.5 divisions

Rome=2 divisions
Persia=17 divisions

The reinforcements to help take Australia are mauled by British ships, but a few escape to join the attack.

The nine ancient Persian divisions make good headway against the one and a half British divisions stationed in Australia.

In New Zealand, two Roman divisions land and begin an attack upon the five regiments stationed there. The garrison is unprepared and eventually destroyed at a heavy price.

In Australia, the Persians are hurt badly by fierce British resistance. The Persians have to hold the land they have taken, knowing that to carry on is risking their entire colony.

Persian losses= 12 divisions
Roman losses=1 division

British losses=1 division(half on New Zealand, half on Australia)

CAMBODIA

France=2 divisions
Persia=13 divisions

The invasion fleet(it has to be a fleet as it can't pass through China or India) is intercepted by British ships and badly hurt. Only a few divisions escape the mauling out of 13, and land in Cambodia.

After a bitter fight, the French drive the Persians back into the sea.

Persian losses=13 divisions
French losses=1 division

ARABIA

Britain=2 divisions
Persia=20 divisions

The British ships are unable to help the Arabian garrison as the Persians attack overland. The British fight to the last man, but only succeed in destroying half the invasion force.

Persian losses=10 divisions
British losses=2 divisions

FRANCE AND THE LOW COUNTRIES

Russia= 60 divisions
Germany=47 divisions
Rome=23 divisions

France=31 divisions
Spain=2 divisions

The overwhelming numbers drive the French back, and Spain is brought into the war as German and Russian troops pour over the border. The resistance is very fierce, but the Spanish are eventually defeated by weight of number.

The French counter-attack, causing heavy losses to the Russians, who are targets due to their ancient weaponry. The staggering Russian losses, two thirds of their force, are proof of the French determination to defend their homeland.

Roman units spearhead a drive towards Spain, but are eventually stopped. In the north, the Germans are halted outside Paris. The Russians fall back to lick their wounds after supporting their allies.

Nearly a million men lay dead in the area, mainly Russians, in a war for no reason other than greed. Now that the borders have stabilised, it is hoped that losses will be less.

Russian losses=40 divisions
German losses=27 divisions
Roman losses=13 divisions

French losses=11 divisions

AFRICA

France=South Africa:1.5 divisions North Africa=0.5 divisions

Germany=8 divisions against South Africa
Rome=5 divisions against South Africa, 5 against North

The French hold out to the last in North Africa, but eventually fall. The Romans take casualties, but not as many as France would have liked.

In the South, the French fight harder, and five divisions fall before the last Frenchman dies.

Africa is a disaster for the French, after getting so wrapped up in Canada, they left the African colonies with less protection. Madagascar only held because of the Royal Navy ruling the seas, and the Romans and Germans apparently not being interested in the island.

French losses=2 divisions

German losses=3 divisions
Roman losses=4 divisions

Rome=20 ships
Germany=30 ships

Britain=100 ships

Admiral Nelson leads half of the British force in European waters into the South Atlantic to engage the last Roman and German ships. He finds them, and brings them to battle.

The Romans and Germans go down with their ships, causing more casualties to the Royal Navy on a ship-to-ship basis than any other battle in history.

British losses=50 ships

Roman losses=20 ships
German losses=30 ships

Sorry guys, but I made France and Germany pay, now it's your turn to get bloody noses from playing the bullies! The Royal Navy rules the waves, however you thought you could defeat them, I don't know, as the British naval strength was too great.

NEW MAP FOR 1506

Any complaints etc?

Nemesis

All out of character: Well I can't say I'm surprised by the results, we were kind of counting on horrendous losses to keep the game balanced. The only thing I'm batting an eye at is the results in Australia (190,000 men can't defeat 15,000 in a surprise attack? Hmmm....) Everything else was fine with me.

I have a suggestion to make: how about after this Sunday when everyone's forces come back, we have a rule where instead of "once a week everything comes back" we have "10% of your total forces come back each DAY." That way, instead of France being greatly weakened for 7 days then full strength, they would have been slowing growing back some 8 divisions each day. IMO this is more realistic as well.

But don't get too on us for this uknemesis. This game was getting booooring; NOTHING was happening. That's the only reason I agreed to this war; you don't see Russia gaining anything from it, do you? And France having control of Africa was a little unbalancing anyway. Plus we get to have lots of pent-up aggression from now on! Trust me, this game will be lots more fun now. And I fully expect that at some point in time soon, Toasty and Dexter will get to have their revenge. :)

Complaints?

UK, how could I complain?

The naval results, for once, are understandable. Since the main fleet is ancient against a naval British medieval, the losses are slightly realistic.

However, please don't tell me I just lost my entire fleet in one year. Also, I gave orders that if the Atlantic blockade were faced by 300 or more ships, a fighting retreat should be fought. They were faced by 450 and fought to the last man. Insubordination in the fleet is one thing. Sheer lack of common sense is another.

For example, I outnumber the enemy 6 to 1 in Australia, I'm attacking over flat ground, the enemy is facing the other way looking for a naval attack after the fleet battle, and you tell me I made "good headway". Last time I checked, this was a situation from which a defending general might be lucky to salvage his army. The Romans aren't even in the war yet, as far as the New Zealanders know - the Italian battles are too far away - and they are outnumbered 4:1. Suddenly Italy loses half its attacking army.

Again, I outnumber the army in Cambodia 6:1 and my entire army is destroyed. Even if half was destroyed by the British fleet, that's still a ridiculous outcome. Cambodia is defended by TWO divisions, this should have been an EASY victory for any attacker with 5 or more divisions. I committed 13, and they all die.

I don't even want to look at Arabia.

OK, I looked at Arabia. Luckily, my army here seems to have escaped the omnipresent, omnipotent British fleet, which suddenly seems to have swelled to majestic proportions. Anyway, I'm attacking over SAND. Pure, flat, easy sand. I outnumber the enemy TEN to ONE. The enemy is destroyed. And I lose half my army. I'm wavering between hysterical laughter and disgust!

I'm scared to find out what happened in Europe... since when was Spain in this war? Did you get a secret PM? Or did you just decide to commit his troops to battle?

I get the numbers now. Lunacy. Russia loses half its army attacking through Belgium. If anyplace is EASIER to attack over than sand, it's Belgium. But it loses 40 Divisions!

Combined, the Allies number 33 Divisions. The Axis numbers 130. Attacking in formation, with prepared battle plans, sheer surprise and an enormous weight of numbers. The Allies are barely hurt. The Axis loses about 2/3 of its force.

Africa is yet another example of a 6:1, surprise attack, overland, flat land, etc etc. All our attacks were CALCULATED to be at least 5:1. Yet the French are decimated, at the cost of more than 3 times the loss in Axis casualties. This isn't WWI.

This is really ridiculous. In NO colony has France or Britain committed more than 5 Divisions to battle. Each of my attacks numbered at least 12 or 13. In some colonies Britain was just guarding the land with HALF a division! All my attacks, with the exception of Cambodia, were over flat land.

Not to mention that you have the British fleet flitting from battle to battle as if it had radar. Last time I checked, Medieval did not mean radar.

I certainly enjoyed the idea of a moderated NES. It allowed quite a bit of diplomatic skullduggery, realistic roleplay, and interesting politics (thanks to Tsar, Caesar, and King for a fantastic conspiracy!) But in the end it seems kind of pointless when the moderator can't even keep track of which islands you colonised, though you posted it loud and clear and even PM'd him/her.

I agree that having the moderator be a player is silly. But even more ludicrous is having combat governed, not by the moderator's interest as a player, but as the moderator's interest as a spectator.

Literally, diplomacy means nothing in this game. The past few years have taught me that well.

Since their inception as rulers, France/Britain have done nothing but threaten and blackmail their neighbors, from Spain to America to even Russia. Yet no consequence descends upon King Bourbon and King Blackadder.

France wasted half its troops fighting a futile war in Quebec. After peace talks, France made no move to lessen its inflamattory rhetoric or even make friends with nations such as Germany or Russia, which could easily squash it.

On the other hand, Persia and Russia have secretly developed a campaign, talked and convinced other nations into joining, organized their scheme, and cautiously waited to use their armies.

The Axis struck at France and Britain in a move that should have rendered them masters of all the Allied colonies. It was a masterpiece of planning and surprise, even counting the un-looked-for British fleet.

So what happens? You decide Britain and France shouldn't face consequences for recklessly destroying half their troops. You decide they shouldn't face consequences for neglecting to protect their colonies. You decide they shouldn't face consequences for not forging alliances, for not befriending other nations, and for causelessly bullying other world powers.

You decide not to reward planning, not to reward stealth, not to reward diplomacy, and above all not to reward realism and strategy.

I certainly enjoyed playing this NES as it taught me many things. I hope to meet you all again, but for now I cede Persia to whoever wishes to step into my shoes. I wish the best of luck for my successor, as that is what he will most likely need. Strategy, of course, is not needed.

Yours till we meet again,

Shah Darius I, The Troquelet.

Don't worry, I know why you started the war, it was becoming boring with no more colonisation.

And okay, the rule is now changed to 10%, I'll update the main page tomorrow to include that rule.

Nemesis

[OOC] I am absolutely disgusted by the events that are takling place. You all have taken advantage of my limited internet avaliability, my hard-fought and fair war and my inappropriate weakness. You have taken what balance this game had and thrown it out the window with your dirty bathwater, you medieval savages. I fight with absolute resolve and by god I hope you all pay dearly for your pathetic mercantile actions. Frankly, you can all bend over and kiss my sweet patootie. [/OOC]

Official decree of the French Monarchy:
Paris will be defended to the last man. The government does not leave it's fair city and the local police force has been equipped as much as possible (some men carry only spears). Whatever destruction may come from the depraved and evil governments that so chose to attack us shall meet their paril at the gates of Paris. Conscription all over France has been enacted and every citizen has sworn it as his sacred duty to save his country and king.
I hope you enjoy the casualties of you conquests, gentlemen; surely they will not be worth the blood that is on your hands and in the fields of France.

To: Emperor Hans Hickthen of Sweden
Subject: Anti-German pact

The time has come. There is no denying your written obligation and German aggression against our pact. Your country must be mobilized and we will fight side by side with our Swedish allies.

Enjoy your war.

To: King Darius of Persia
Subj: Complaints

If you want to complain, whine your ass off. You're the one who told me to suck up losing 20 divisions; you should just shut your menacing, opportunist pie-hole. You complain of my inappropriate actions, my lack of diplomacy: I did that for my nation's part! If you just gang-bang with things like this, the game gets even more boring. What happens if you walk right over us? Cycle repeats. YOU are the one making it boring my friend, not me.
Good day.

I retain my statement of being disgusted thoroughly by all of these nations involved. You may have been bored, but hold on to your britches and make FAIR wars and it might be a bit more fun.

Originally posted by Toasty
I retain my statement of being disgusted thoroughly by all of these nations involved. You may have been bored, but hold on to your britches and make FAIR wars and it might be a bit more fun. [/B]

All OOC

Fair wars?????? Such as England, Spain, and Britain bullying America??? Oh, I see, your definition of fair is a bit jaded :D Turnabout is fair play as they say....or perhaps more appropriately, pot...kettle...black

As to the battles, I too am bewildered at the casualties. We deployed 3-1 odds in "modern equipment" and 4-1 overall in France. There was overwhelming force deployed around the world, and we did that on purpose after seeing the grotesque casualty count from the North America wars.

I'm not sure where the fleet battles would have effected much of anything on land, as the Persian army was already in Australia, and attacked over land everywhere. The only seaborne invasion was really my hit on New Zealand, and that was appropriately costly. We didn't go after Madigascar just for the reasons mentioned, we feared the fleets opposed to us.

In the battles with even numbers at sea, it appears that the British navy is given great strength, which is fine with me, it is certainly a historical trait, but if that is the case, then surely the Roman legion should be afforded that same strength on land.

Yet in the big picture, it seems that three major powers, deploying all of their armies cannot defeat a single undermanned nation in war. If it is a no-violence game you want uknemisis, and it is your game to run, then I believe you will get what you wish. There is no way that any battle can ever go to the attacker in this game, for if you can't win with 12-1 odds, then how can you win?

Before continuing on, I too would like some explaination of how these results are being "calculated".

I love the stories you write "uk", they are some of the best writing on these boards, but this game is very bewildering at this point.

Bill

FAIR WAR???

Oxymoron alert! Oxymoron alert!

Humor aside, Toasty, I think you look(ed) on this game as too much of a wargame instead of a diplomacy and negotiation game, which is why you (should have, if not for UK) got pounded.

Let's put it this way, there is only one way to defend your country, and that is with an army. If you don't have an army, you must be doing something wrong: either you wasted it early in the game (check), or your allies are all weak (check), or maybe you HAVE no allies, or maybe you have too many enemies (check), or no plan (check). As you can see, 4 reasons already why your country has no army and is weak/undefended!

Ways to emend this:

1. Make friends
2. Don't fight futile battles
3. Use skullduggery and conspiracy to keep your enemies away
4. Forge powerful, lasting alliances
5. The element of surprise - secret orders

As you can see, you used none of these. You had no plans, secret or not-secret, to defend your country if suddenly attacked - witnessed by the fact that Britain didn't help you, and Spain sent 2 (!!) divisions. You didn't make friends - America is alienated by you and Persia certainly wasn't on the best of terms. You threatened Russia - you THREATENED Russia!!! You should have befriended Russia and attacked ME. Skullduggery and conspiracy - none except threats to keep away, and constant messages to UK to renew the army because you're too weak to defend yourself (showing your weakness, and expecting NOT to be attacked?). Futile battles? You lost half your army over a dispute that could have been solved by talk, and maybe Italy wouldn't have Alaska now.

So it's hardly surprising that we take advantage of your (self-proclaimed, self-imposed, and self-evident) weakness.

Look at you: even now, at your last extremity, you don't make friends with Japan, who could help you by pincering Russia, or try and secretly win over one of the Axis to your side, which could easily work with a little tact, (especially the now neutral Persia, who, being controlled by UK, is obviously DESPERATE to join your side :rolleyes:). What do you do? You try and cheat the game by "manufacturing" more troops out of thin air and policemen, and you bully Sweden into joining you in a war which is entirely not in his interest, has no rewards for him, is totally outnumbered in, and no sane person would join in on - this from the peaceful Sweden who refused to take sides in America (or has that tidbit of history slipped out of your mind). It's not surprising we were able to fabricate a conspiracy around your countries without you even noticing. You haven't talked to me at all except in haughty bulletins that call me a "piehole" and a "savage". I'm not competent to debate on whether or not that is true, but I can certainly tell you that even if it is, it is not a terribly good way to make me your political ally. I could take eastern Russia now if I wanted, without Russia suspecting until the last second (just a hyptothetical situation, Tsar, don't worry!!!), but do I want to when the only person who can help me do that is insulting me, and the person I would be attacking has built up a long-term friendship and trust with my nation?

Of course, none of this really matters in the "real game", because UK just makes the losses about equal percentages no matter if the odds are 6:1 or even 10:1 (I'm still p-o'd about losing half my army attacking an enemy a tenth of my size over an open plain, but we'll let that pass for the moment..)

(OK, Troq, cool off, cool off!!!)

Sorry bout that.

Also, I see a tiny bit of hypocrisy in that you fight a war three on one, and don't want a war fought on you four to three or even four with Sweden! and with the advantage of God's own navy, and a defense-biased moderator.

But you're absolutely right about something, King Bourbon! I am a menacing oppurtunist pie-hole! I should have spoken out about the unfair American results instead of using the situation to my advantage. Now I see our results are even more unfair than yours (even though ours should be HUGELY better: 6:1 in Australia, Arabia, as compared to Spain's 8:5 in Panama and your roughly 4:3 in Canada)...

I mean, it wasn't a mistake I left 10 troops at home, easily crushable by the next person to walk in. I did it, and so did everyone else (Italy had 5 divisions defending!) because we'd been to North America and seen the attacker's casualties. We MORE than made up for any defending bias UK might have. Yet it seems ten to one odds are not enough to keep half of one's army with body and soul connected. It defies statistics. You didn't even have defences and forts like America had, at least none UK thought worthy of mention! AND our attack had the element of surprise. etc, etc, etc. I could go on, but you don't want to hear it.

Anyway, I don't see the point in the game anymore because our actions are ignored anyway and have no real reflection on the map.

I know that was an inflammatory comment, but let's just look at the numbers, shall we?

To be continued. I'll post a STATISTICAL resume of the battle to show how ridiculous it really was.

PERSIA engaged 300 SHIPS and lost 300.
PERSIA engaged 53 DIVISIONS and lost 35.
RUSSIA engaged 50 SHIPS and lost 50.
RUSSIA engaged 60 DIVISIONS and lost 47.
By the way, UK, the France attack was in two prongs, one from the south as well. Another secret plan neglected, along with the Atlantic debacle which I'm SURE my Fleet Commander was not suicidal enough to continue.
ITALY engaged 420 SHIPS and lost 400.
ITALY engaged 35 DIVISIONS and lost 18.
GERMANY engaged 330 SHIPS and lost 300.
GERMANY engaged 55 DIVISIONS and lost 30.

--------------

TOTAL AXIS RESUME:
Out of 1,100 ships engaged, 1050 were sunk.
Out of 203 divisions engaged, 130 were killed.

--------------

BRITAIN engaged 750 SHIPS and lost 500.
BRITAIN engaged 4 DIVISIONS and lost 3.

By the way, I notice the British fleet size is exactly five times bigger than stated - 150. I can understand a ship fighting twice or even three times on the same day, but 5 battles a day and still winning is ridiculous. I also don't seem to understand how King Blackadder is going to explain to the Press about having lost more Ships than he actually has...

FRANCE engaged 200 SHIPS and lost 100.
FRANCE engaged 35 DIVISIONS and lost 14.

Again, I notice that the French fleet size is twice what is noted - 100. They seem to have lost 100 now however. What does that mean? Do they not have a navy anymore, or can they just keep on fighting with non-existent ships? (heavy sarcasm) non-existent ships, may I add, which constantly trounce my own navy. That certainly says a statement about my power on the seas! :)

SPAIN engaged no ships, which is perhaps why France had to work overtime. Tsk, tsk.
SPAIN engaged 2 Divisions and lost none. Talk about a record.

Humorous remarks aside:

TOTAL ALLIED RESUME:
Out of 950 Ships, 600 were lost.
Out of 41 Divisions, 17 were lost.
--------------------------

Now before you start complaining about France losing more, let's look at the ODDS:

TOTAL AXIS: 1100 SHIPS, 203 DIVISIONS
TOTAL ALLIES: 950 SHIPS, 41 DIVISIONS

So, while the heavy casualties on both sides at sea, with more losses for Axis, are realistic considering GB, it is certainly NOT realistic for an attacker attacking EVERYWHERE over a flat plain (except Cambodia) and 5:1 odds, to get trounced: 130 Divisions lost in the Axis to a mere 17 in the Allies! Please! We outnumber you 5:1 yet we lose more than 5 times as much men? Is that real statistics?

"Sir, the attack on France has halted outside Paris. Although we've made good progress, we were fighting castles, and our losses are heavy, sir."
"How heavy is heavy?"
"Hmmm... Last count? Twenty-seven divisons in France, three in Africa, sir, but..."
"300.000 men?!"
"But sir, this has been a unifying war for our countries. They all now feel they have fought a common enemy. This is good. Shall we press the attack on Paris?"
"Hell no! Fall back, fortify, regroup. Our orders from Russia (whose lapdogs we obviously are, even into this insane and feraky war) were to hold our ground. The castles have been repaired, yes?"
"Yes, sir."
"Good. We've captured Elsatz-Löttringen (Alsace-Lorraine) and the Flemish countries, so now all Germannic countries are united under one flag. That's all we really need, anyway. Now all we need to do is pray that God (Read: The Moderator (That's YOU, uk)) treats us as well on defense as he treated the French whom so many died attacking.

OOC:
While I find it odd that we lost so disproprtionately many men, I suppose we'll have to put up with it. But I wil definetely be pissed if French counter-offencives win them back the land they lost! We should be treated at least as well as them on defence.
Oh, and Toasty...
Please don't ever, EVER, presume to call the North American conflict a fair war. That was even worse than our one!

Right, now that just p*sses me right off. You gang up on a weakened country, especially one who's leader wasn't here very often, and attack it. Yes it is injured in an unfair war, but this one is even more unfair, and so the casualties reflected the way I felt about this war.

I can't have you destroying a country in the medieval age! What do you expect me to do, let France fall and ruin the game for another player, one who is playing it well in the diplomatic field by being a b*stard, which some rulers are, and making it more enjoyable for all?

Persia's ancient fleets had no chance against Britain's. And as for the numbers of ships lost, check your numbers, cause I'm sure that I calculated mine correctly.

Germany was the nation who had 100 ships more than they should in the reports, due to them building up their strength by an extra 50 ships per fleet out of nowhere in the PM. And it said that the Low Counties were to be attacked.

THE LOW COUNTRIES BELONG TO SPAIN!

Anyway, I know that the combat system is unregulated, which is why tonight I will be bringing everyone back up to full strength and reorganising a new combat system, based partially on random numbers(dice) but also on advantages; ie; Britain gets an extra +1 at sea and other nations get their bonuses, all nations get +1 while defending their homeland, etc. I'm just not sure yet how to portray weight of number, but I'll figure it out.

And if someone gets their ass kicked in the new combat system, and starts whining, then I couldn't give a sh*t about this anymore.

I've now also decided to advance an age Wednesday nights as well, to end this one quicker, so when we get to modern we can have a UN Secretary General election.

And then maybe we can begin a new NES that I'll create, UKNES(from Toasty's name for this game). It will be more rules for combat and trade, and actually have income so you can decide what army or navy to build. I am planning that one as we speak.

But I have limited time to moderate this, I have to work out the combat reports for a huge f*cking invasion and can't find a modern readout of British and French troop deployments so I have to guess from reading the older ones, and yes I may have made a mistake!

But don't f*cking have a go at me, that really p*sses me right off!

Now, tonight, when I post a message saying so, all troops and ships will be restored. No offence Germany, Rome, Persia and Russia, but I hope that France and Britain kick your ass back to the stone age even in the new combat system to make you pay for this sneak attack.

And yes, there will be a surprise bonus in the new combat system, +1. I will apply it to attacks made in areas not expecting it, and sometimes an extra one to an entire nation if a sudden invasion is launched(as I probably should have done here.)

Anyway, get off my back! I'll sort the blasted thing out!

And I need regular troops deployments from you all! Especially France and Britain!

Nemesis

[OOC]Man I'm so pissed off!!! We gave peace to america fairly and they have since doubled their lands!! It's crap that at a time when my land army is too weak to battle even a fly and defeat it!! I want to know how I'm expected to win this war?!
I was hopping that all war would be delayed until the napoleonic age!! I have learned a great lesson all those nations which have declared war are now officially untrustable, I also hate how the main thread gave no inclinations of this attack? You'd at least think I would have noticed massive troop build-ups and movements!!!
Although I'm not going to be a sore looser and quit or anything, I'm just a little annoyed.[/OOC]

To: King Rey Juan Carlos
Subj: Help!
I request that you aid us by entering this unprovoked war upon our side and sign the recent treaty I made up! Please your armies are needed now more than ever. If you don't want to see yourself fighting the combined evils by yourself you must help!
Yours,
King Blackadder

To: King Monrique de Bourbon
Subj: WAR!!
We must battle now for our lifes!! The evil axis is closing in but we must never surrender!!! Combining our forces is the only way we shall survive!! Sign our recent treaty and let us battle together!!
Viva la resistance!
Yours,
King Blackadder

To: Emepror Hans Hickthen
Subj: WAR!!
Your Royal Greatness! Please we beg of you that you enter the war upon France and Britain's side!! Unless you want Persia, Russia and Germany to rule the world. They shall never stop and will surely come after you!! Please heed my call your armies are needed now more than ever!!
Yours,
King Blackadder

Actions:
- Surrender in Australia and return those surving troops to South America.

Britain King Blackadder
Troops In Total: 80,000
Troops Abroad: 54,000
Ships Abroad: 150 (All patrolling the coast of Britain to protect from invasion)
Troops In Britain: 38,000
Troops In Canada: 14,000
Troops In South America: 40,000

[OOC] Uknemesis I have ben keeping my troop deployments posted at the bottom of my posts, but I've never seen any from Russia, Germany, Persia or Rome. If my positions are being revealed I want to know everyone's like you requested in your new rule change.
Further more I'm going to need far more troops than I had at the start of this game to win the war, even if I did have 150,000 troops again I would never stand a chance against Russia in a straight war!
Well thanx again, and don't worry I'm gonna kick all of the members of the axis's ass!!! :lol:[/OOC]

The UKNES that I'm creating will give you money every day, so you can decide what to buy(people will be stopped from building up huge armies by upkeep costs). Basically, you will be able to decide what you want to specialise in. Also, there will be more units available, with Civ3 like stats. I have also created a new combat system that will make it fair. Numbers will have the advantage as each fight is taken division against division, with the defending divisions having to fight again and again until they are all dead or all the enemy are, or I decide that there should be a stalemate due to losses.

Artillery will also be in it, as will trade and advancing through the ages if I can figure out how I want to do that. Otherwise, advancing will be the same as it is in this one.

As for this game, Britain doesn't need a huge land army, Russia will never be able to defeat the Royal Navy! And if you use your navy correctly to blockade, then you can send your army in force to take islands, which can't be reinforced by the enemy.

As for the UKNES, I'm hoping to have it posted by tonight or tomorrow, and hopefully have everyone move over onto that one as it will be a lot more advanced. Basically, it will be Civ3 in a NES.

But for now, this game will run using the basic combat system that I will use for UKNES, with each unit having an attack and defence value. The way that the combat is resolved is still random, meaning a spearman might be able to defeat a knight, but is at the disadvantage.

So when more combat is resolved, don't start having a go any of you, as it will be completely fair!

Nemesis

The Troquelet: I called on Sweden, not bullying them, because we made a SECRET DEFENSIVE PACT AGAINST THE GERMANS after they swiped up Iceland and Greenland. Also, there was a sort of "entente cordiale" between me, England, and Spain--the alliance was completely in place with England but Spain had as of yet remined very aloof. You claim I made no diplomacy? I negotiated a GENEROUS peace treaty with America and stated my intent to move towards friendly terms with them. I did not become friends with Germany because a quiet Europe is immensely boring but one that is simply walked over is even worse.
My diplomacy was not lacking, I had the interests of the game being enjoyed at heart as opposed to greed.

America not a fair war? All told, the combined forces of Britain and France only committed 32 divisions total, with 28 being the most in America at any one time. You, Russia, Germany and Rome yieldeld 130,000 in France, 130,000 in Cambodia, 12,000 in Africa...the list goes on at a vicious attempt to ruin the fun of this game by overpowering me when I had done nothing to you specifically.

You can bawl all you want about how I did not play the game fairly; I enjoy playing the badguy but when you attempt to unrealistically stamp the whole world out after 5 turns it ruins it. You all deserve no credit for what you attempted and UK was right, in the words of Sullla, for the sake of game balance.

These are not supposed to be "conquer the world in one turn" games and you have essentially ruined it. Thanks sincerely.

OOC Toasty,

Allow me to placate you - I have been misinterpreted - I have nothing against players who roleplay evil rulers, etc.

Again misinterpreted: the attack was by NO means expected to wipe you off the face of the earth! The French attack was calculated just as a diversion. The blockade was to keep you from aiding your colonies. We deployed way more troops to your colonies.

Our goals were to seize your colonies, not to destroy your country. But it seems we can't even take some pitiful island from you without massive casualties (half my force lost in Arabia, half of Italy lost in New Zealand, all my force lost in Cambodia)...

Essentially, it seems that not only was it a diversion, it was a failure.

Your colonies SHOULD now belong to us. I don't care how "unfair" you think we were being, but let me just show you this:

On Sunday, your armies and navies are all coming back. Knowing you full well for the imperialistic, callous sort of king (in role-play) that you are, we knew that you would strike (with Britain and Spain behind you) at the next possible target. Quite possibly, Indonesia. Or maybe Africa. America again?

Who knows? But the point is, I decided I could not allow the Allies to grow large enough to unilaterally take over the world. I knew I couldn't win away one of the group to my side. So I formed my own alliance with the FRIENDS that I had already made through trade and peace - Russia and Italy. There you see your mistake. Your only friends had followed you into an idiotic war and they were too weak to protect you.

Russia, Italy, and I negotiated how to split your colonies. We planned the attack and executed it, with Germany's help.

You definitely should have seen this attack coming. I was very surprised that most of our attacks took you completely off guard. Consider:

1. You proclaimed your weakness by asking for more troops.
2. You hadn't heard from me since Russia withdrew from the peace plans. In itself a suspicious act.
3. You knew your colonies abutted on many neutral nations.

In effect, you spread yourself too thinly. Actually, you could easily have defended against me with the army that lies dead in Quebec, or the army that belongs Germany, which we convinced first, or the army of Japan, who you made no move to befriend, or the army of Persia or Russia, who you might have talked into backstabbing his neighbor. What do you do? You just sit there. You are outnumbered 5:1 and you don't even make secret orders to at least keep us off guard. No, you go and PROCLAIM that you're keeping all your troops in France: which not only makes Germany think you don't trust him, and makes it more easy for us to convince Germany, it also leaves your vital colonies totally undefended.

I'm telling you, if I were in your position in 1502 I wouldn't do nothing and hope for the best. But that's precisely what you do, and then you call it an unfair war. It most certainly is - one side knows what it's doing....[OOC]

Top Bottom