A Simple and Regulated NES

Trying to enter a castle resulted in huge losses in comparison to the defender. They could fire arrows, pour boiling oil onto the attackers, push over ladders and they knew the castle.

And castles took about 7 years to build. There was no trench warfare. Just troops on a flat, fertile valley which had been recently claimed by the Americans. Care to explain how huge fortifications got there in a year?

And another thing, if the fortifications were there, my forces would have then occupied the defences (and I don't think they were all facing one way :lol: ). 175,00 or whatever would never have been able to send back 240,000 "dug-in", however tired, troops.

With all due respect, King Bourbon

Actually, I'm really trying not to take on "I told you so" airs, but in every "treaty" you have written so far the little bullet points with outrageous American concessions far outnumber the little bullet points where France actually compromises halfway on something, and as for France making actual concessions....

Just an example: the treaty you wrote before the news of battle contains the following points:

1. America gives France Quebec.

2. America gives Britain Ontario, Manitoba and Nunavut.

3. America withdraws from Panama so a canal can be built to allow the Allies to colonize California.

4. America cedes South America to the Allies.

5.America does not pay France anything for ten years.

Maybe fate doesn't like arrogance.

Obviously, there is no longer an interest in this war for either side. Only greed has kept both sides from compromise. Look at Persia and Russia: both have not spilt a drop of blood and our empires are satisfactorily large. Sweden purposefully didn't settle in America's sphere. It has a sizable empire too. Even Britain made an agreement with me to split Saudi Arabia. Yet everyone has been stubborn about America! Why?

I don't pretend to know enough about the real issues to present a plausible treaty. But I am appalled at the losses on both sides and demand peace in the name of humanity.

Originally posted by Toasty

And castles took about 7 years to build. There was no trench warfare. Just troops on a flat, fertile valley which had been recently claimed by the Americans. Care to explain how huge fortifications got there in a year?

And another thing, if the fortifications were there, my forces would have then occupied the defences (and I don't think they were all facing one way :lol: ). 175,00 or whatever would never have been able to send back 240,000 "dug-in", however tired, troops.

By the time the 100,000 arrived, you only had about 80,000 troops left yourself(8 divisions out of 25!), and the British only had 2 divisions left.

You retreated to get away from the Americans, but lost 3 more divisions and the British one more.

Anyway, that is the final battle rundown. I can inflict as many casualties as I like, as I would like to have less troops around near the progression of an age, as it makes people more aware about what they're chucking around until they can get more.

As for this battle, it was a very bloody one, and due to the amount of numbers you had lost, you didn't have enough troops left to hold what you had taken. Simple as that, no more arguments cause I'm too tired.

And I would think you should be happy. Yes you lost huge numbers of troops, but America lost more in relevance to how much of her total army was lost! America has 15 divisions left, you have about 40! You got the big battle needed to ensure numerical superiority over the Americans.

Nemesis

To: Anyone Involved in the American War
Subject: Peace Terms

The Russian people salute the recent peace terms presented by the French Roi. I have reproduced them here so that there can be no confusion over them:

Article I: America cedes the territory she owns in Quebec to France. France renounces her claims to the Mississippi valley.
Article II: America recognizes French-backed British claims to Ontario, Manitoba and Nunavut. In turn, British demands on the remainder of Western Canada, Mexico and Texas are dropped.
Article III:America withdraws from Panama and will not be involved in any colonization in South America. Panama is declared an international zone and construction of a canal begins.
Article IV: France retains her colony in Louisiana and New Orleans but allows American merchant ships free passage. This agreement may be renegotiated in ten years if deemed necessary by either government.

We ask only that the third article be dropped from the treaty, as the American people have bravely defended their possession of Panama from Spanish invasion. I believe that this will provide a fair deal to all parties involved. Although America will lose significant territory in Canada, her people that have been displaced will find a new home in the unclaimed regions of the American west. I am prepared to send my foreign advisor Sergeyev to Hispanola to help mediate this peace agreement if the involved parties desire. I hope that the severe amount of bloodshed will help convince the world to follow a more peaceful path in future days.

OOC: Toasty, I understand that the combat results may be unrealistic in terms of a real-world situation, but what uknemesis did was necessary for game balance. We can expect that the heartland of another nation is not going to be conquered without extreme losses being taken, and that is essentially what you and your British allies were trying to do. Since everyone's forces do not return until next week, and you're a little thin on forces at the moment, perhaps you will be more willing to support my efforts for peace over the next 8 days! :lol: In all seriousness though, I will work for peace in Europe if someone comes in as Germany and tries to run over England and France in the next few days.

Revised Peace Proposal: The Shah's Ten Points

1. America shall retain all the land it has occupied.

2. The Americans shall send divisions to build, at their own expense, a Panama Canal, by 1505 at the latest, and allow all empty ships or ships with settlers through, but have the right to decide whether or not to allow ships with divisions through or not, or whether to charge toll for troop-carrying ships. Nations at war with America cannot make use of the Canal.

3. Greenland shall belong to whoever colonizes it first, with parties respecting their fate and not resorting to military action.

4. Mexico and the unoccupied lands south of San Francisco shall belong to America, unless by 1504 they remain empty, in which case on 1505 or later anyone can colonize them.

5. The rest of Mainland North America (Northern USA, Canada, Alaska) shall be off-limits to America, unless by 1505 they are empty, in which case on 1506 or later America can colonize them.

6. The offshore islands north of Canada, the Caribbean Islands, and South America shall be forever off-limits to America.

7. The colony of the Mississipi Delta agrees to let Americans through for free until 1510 at which time America and France may renegotiate this part and ONLY this part of the treaty.

8. Hawaii shall belong solely to America, forever.

9. All the other Pacific Islands are off-limits to America.

10. The Tierra del Fuego shall never be colonised, so that there will ALWAYS be a way into the Pacific even if America closes the canal.

Seems reasonable to everyone?

The Shah's Peace
Those peace terms I would never accept. If I wanted to I could completely evacuate Europe and my colonies to crush America. It is not as much to ask as Manitoba has never been taken and Nunavut is largely controlled by me; America just gives up Ontario and Southeastern Canada, in exchange for peace. Despite the American victory me and my European allies still yield the power to do more damage to America than we already have.
This "peace" you have written up is a mockery. Europe has not lost the war, and if either of my allies choose to accept it they are mad.

The Tsar's Peace
Considering the sorry excuses for a treaty I have gotten from Persia, we will drop Article III and submit the revised one to the conference in Hispanola. I would be more than happy to entertain your foreign minister as a mediator there. I also thank you for protecting my homeland due to these horrendous casualties.
This treaty has Le Roi's seal of approval :goodjob:.

To: Al Gore
Subj: Cease Fire
Your offer of a cease fire is accepted until the peace conference. As for the conference I would like to see all four parties, myself, France, Spain and America joined by Russia to discuss peace. I would be prepared to accept France's offer of peace only with a few minor changes.

Article I: America cedes the territory she owns in Quebec to France. France renounces her claims to the Mississippi valley.

Article II: America recognizes French-backed British claims to Ontario, Manitoba and Nunavut. In turn, British demands on the remainder of Western Canada, Mexico and Texas are dropped.
This I agree on, we shall drop claims to all areas mentioned.

Article III:America withdraws from Panama and will not be involved in any colonization in South America. Panama is declared an international zone and construction of a canal begins.
I'm prepared to let America retain control of Panama only if it is declared free for any ships of peaceful nature to pass through

Article IV: France retains her colony in Louisiana and New Orleans but allows American merchant ships free passage. This agreement may be renegotiated in ten years if deemed necessary by either government.

To: Shah Darius
Subj: Peace Proposal
This proposal is a complete mockery and insults me greatly! Please tell me that you were only joking when you wrote this up?!

To: Tsar Mikhail Romanov
Subj: Peace-Proposal
I admire your statesman like approach to peace and hope that you shall attend the meeting in Hispanola.
Yours,
Blackadder

Actions:
- Cease-fire between America begun.
- Withdraw all Troops from Canada and return them to Britain and hand over the British colonies to Canada.
- Send more settler's to colonise right through central South America.
- Send Settler's and two divisions to colonise East Australlia around Sydney and Melbourne along with 200 ships.
- Send 50 ships to Arabia to open trade between Persia and our colonies.
- Send 100 ships to patrol our South American positions.
- Return all other ships to Britain.
Troops Abroad: 72,000
Ships Abroad: 300
Troops In Britain: 38,000

Newsflash to the world: the Triple Kingdom of Norway, Denmark and Germany have a new King, Haakon Magnusson! More news to follow presently!

To: President Al Gore of America
As for now We have advised Governor Ortega not to make any further advances into Panama, but Our troops are prepared should the peace-talks not work out.
Spain will accept peace under these terms:
I. Spanish and American engineers will co-operate in the Construction of the "Panama Canal".
II. The Canal will be operated by America and Spain.
III. American troops occupy the West-Side of the Canal.
IV. Spanish troops occupy the East-Side and all land between the Canal and Columbia.
Regarding the compensation, We offer that Spain will be responsible for 3/4 of the construction cost, while America will account for the rest.

To: Roi Monrique de Bourbon IV of France
Dear ally,
It seems that the Americans put up a fiercer resistance than expected but they have taken a beating for which they will need some time to recover from. We are in a strong position as far as negotiations are concerned and Spain hopes that France supports Our terms of peace as we do support yours.
Concerning Algeria Spain is not willing to give you land but We offer your troops Right of Passage trough Algeria, as long as they don't steal chickens and bother our women.

To: King Blackadder of Great Britain
Dear ally,
We would like to thank you for your recent support in Our naval engagements around Panama. Be assurred that we will fully support your peace proposals.

To: Ceasar Augustus of Italy
Dear friend,
We appreciate your offer of help in times of need and want to assure you that Spain will be doing the same should you ever need a helping hand.

To: Emperor Hans Hickthen of Sweden
Dear friend,
We welcome you and your plans to establish yourself as power. May our reigns be long and prosperous!

To: Tsar Mikhail Fedorovich Romanov of Russia
Dear friend,
As Our nation is a peace-loving one at heart We gladly accept your friendship and hope you accept Ours. Furthermore Spain wishes you good luck in expanding your empire.

To: King Darius the Great of Persia
Dear friend,
We are glad to hear you're plans are going well and accept your friendship on behalf of Spain. You should know that We will not be interfering with your politics as they don't affect Our spheres of influence and therefore welcome you in peace.

Spanish Summary:
Europe:
- Troops: 200.000 soldiers, 150 frigates
- Plans: Tournaments to be held in Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia and Cordoba to appease the population
South America:
- Troops: 170.000 men, 125 ships
- Plans: further expansion to the south, castles to be built in key locations, cease-fire with America
Africa:
- Troops: 50.000 men, 50 ships
- Plans: further expansion to the south, castles to be built in key locations

Haakon wearily reviewed the state of his army. This horrific three-sided war had cost his new country heavy losses, from which they were only now recovering.
"70 divisions." He mused.
"Half and half, sir. The green serfs are interspersed with battle-hardened veterans. Although the civil war was a disaster for our beloved country, at least it has left us one of the most experienced armies in the world. That's something to be glad for, sire..."
"Glad. Yes. Hmmm... I suppose so. But I'd rather have a happily united nation than a battle-hardened army, Sigfried. Much rather..."
The war was not over yet. Still several pretenders to the throne were hiding out in their strongholds, even though theywere hated, feared, and even ex-communicated by the Mother Church. The most important of which had been Jarl Eirik, earl of the North Lands in Norway, Haakon's homeland. Currently, though, Haakon was standing in the charred remnants of Eirik's grand hall. It was cold and raining, but at least the Midnight Sun saw to it that it did not get dark as well.
The elite Hird, who were the King's royal guard and the pride of the army, had besieged Eiriksholm for three months, but finally the defenders had broken, and the Jarl had paid the price of treachery. He was going to be hung, drawn and quartered in Nidaros, the religious capital of the Triple Kingdoms.

Haakon was saddened as he began the long return by sea to Nidaros (Trondheim), where he was staying in the Bishop's Castle.

He spent his time well, however, dictating letters to his new colleagues around the world, and steering the travels of his settlers.

To my illustrious neighbour, Sweden

How fare ye? As you can see, I, Haakon Magnusson, have managed to gather the pieces of my broken kingdom, and we have risen out of the ashes like a phoenix. You are the first nation the newly arisen Three Kingdoms extend diplomatic relations to, and I sincerely hope we can live together as neighbours. I'm now officaillly warning you, though, that there are ancient Viking settlements on the West side of Greenland, all along the coast, and I intend to revive them. Please do not interfere. I believe we can share Greenland quite amicably.
Haakon Magnusson, rex Norvegica, rex Germanica, rex Danica

Otherwise, his settlers had revived the Viking setllements on an island called Iceland, and claimed them all for the Norwegian crown.
Ships were sailing along the coast of Africa, too, and reported seeing very good land on the very south tip, on a place called the Cape of good hope. A settlement, called (vewry uninventively) Cape Town, was built there. Finally, his sailors had reached the wide plains of Argentina as well, south of the Swedish colonies, and extending south too the lands the natives called "The Land of Fire" (Tierra del Fuego).

AHEM! Are you summarizing the story in the first page or not? It's hard to join after some period of time with you having to read all the posts.

"This is an outrage!" - shouted the Sultan.
"As well as killing 500 people!" - answered Mehmed Pasha - "Death to Opressor!"

===========

Durign the last 10 days, Sultan has been overwhelmed, and now a militay dictature has been established, with Mehmed Pasha as it's leader. But who will recognize an Outcast?

Roman Update

Augustus was heartened to hear of the ascension of Haakon to the throne in the Germanic states. The unrest there had provided for much disruption of trade, and Caesar was certain that Haakon's leadership would restore profitable economics to the region.

The colonization of Africa was proceeding well, and all existing colonies were ordered to expand normally, with an emphasis on culture and infrastructure. There was on exception to this order, no further expansion toward the Egyptian nation would be conducted, all expansion would be to areas west and south of existing holdings. This Caesar Directive VII was intended out of respect for the Egyptians, whom Augustus was certain would be interested in expansion once they became active.

The final phase of the African expansion consisted for 25 ships and a division of troops accompaning two settlers to Cape Town and Durbin in the territories of southern africa.

Then there was the matter of Caesar Directive VIII and IX. Augustus smiled thinking about them. Word had reached him that these secret projects were nearing fruition.

Augustus viewed the new world situation with concern. He hoped that Romanov's wise counsel would be heeded. Certainly the parties involved had shed too much blood now to be reasonable. France itself had taken a very dangerous path here as the French heartland was nearly undefended. They are quite fortunate that we are such a peaceful nation chuckled Augustus to himself. Germany being recently united may change the balance of that equation. Some of the other third party peace proposals were simply outrageous.

Augustus himself was interested in peaceful trade, and looking for new partners.

Actions:

25 ships and 1 division, plus two settlers found Cape Town and Durbin in modern day South Africa.
Continued expansion of existing colonies in Africa without violation of Caesar Directive VII
Execution of Caesar Directive VIII and IX

To: King Haakon
Subj: Trade and Relations

Hail King!

Rome welcomes you as sovereign leader of the triple kingdom. May your reign be long and prosperous.

We would welcome immediate diplomatic relations and a trade agreement. We have many gems and horses to offer you.

It is my deepest desire to maintain a close and trusting relationship with the great German people.

Regards
===================
To: Shah Darius I
Subj: Trade

Hail Shah,

What knowledge do you seek sir? Rome will be willing to trade technologies for your dyes and spices.

Regards
===================
To: King Hickthen of Sweeden
Subj: Trade and Relations

Hail King,

Rome desires to normalize relations and commence normal trade with your fine country.

I hope that we can grow close in our mutual futures.

Regards
====================
To: Tsar Romanov
CC: All Nations of the World
Subj: Peace

Caesar Augustus fully endorses the approach to peace crafted by Tsar Romanov. I encourage all nations to end the bloodshed, support open colonization of primitive territories, and consider diplomatic solutions to these problems.

Regards

HRH Bourbon and Blackadder
Sirs,

You are not going to be able to take more of America than America no matter how fast you expand. Crushing America is not a solution - you simply can't do it. You're bluffing. You have the armies capable of doing it, but a sane king could never use them. That is, unless you want Italy to own Africa.

My peace divides the Americas fairly between you two powers, with the disadvantage of both time and land shifted to America! America only gets a third of the land you get, and must occupy it a year earlier than you or else it's yours for the taking... In fact, as far as I can see, the Tsar's treaty gives more land to America than mine! It doesn't keep America out of the Northern USA for example, and it certainly won't keep America from growing into the monster you obviously feared when you rushed to America to stop its growth.

By the way, exactly who is South America going to belong to anyway if not to America and not to Russia or me? That's a huge empire you're amassing.

King Blackadder, Pres. Gore, Tsar Romanov, King Bourbon
Good luck with the peace treaty anyway. May I suggest a clause about the limits of foreign armies in the colonies?

ORDERS
30 divisions at home are still on guard duty. 6 of them are building fortifications on the western front.

The 10 divisions expanding east of my land continue to do so, again with orders not to violate the borders agreed upon.

The 10 Divisions on Borneo colonize the Phillipines.

The 10 Divisions on Sumatra are designated as Engineers and travel among the islands making as many fortifications as necessary, concentrating on Sumatra and Australia.

The 20 Divisions in Australia expand east with all possible speed.

The 150 Ships in the Indonesian Seas return to guard Persia, concentrating on the Southern coast.

The 50 ships in Polynesia return home.

[OOC] uknemesis, I think we should do a restoration of troops but not a tech advancement for this week. If we don't, me, Great Britain and America would be at a huge disadvantage (just imagine the lands Germany could take!). The loss of 250,000 troops for me and 200,000 for the Americans leaves us as wide-open holes for whomever may decide to waltz into our territory.[/OOC]

To: Shah Darius of Persia
Subj: Your peace terms

The fact remains we don't like it, and you will have nothing to do with the Hispanola peace summit; your peace will not pass through France, GB and Spain. You should just as well accept it and move along. You can argue all you want about how good your treaty is but the Tsar's is a shoe-in. Keep your nose out of affairs that do not concern you.

To: Nations involved with Hispanola
Sub: Hispanola peace summit

With the cease fire signed and the Tsar's treaty agreed upon, what will be the purpose of the peace summit? I think it has been stated that we will re-create the modern U.S.-Canadian border and me and GB can sort out the details for the division of Canada. I have drawn up a map for the division of Canada which I will display soon.
Bottom line: do we really need to go to Hispanola for a peace treaty or perhaps a goodwill summit :D?

To: President Gore
Subj: Withdrawing of forces

President Gore, as a showing of goodwill from France to America I have decided to withdraw the majority of my forces from North America. I do this so that we might ease tensions and be sure that this peace is a serious one and that our nations can build friendship on trust and not swords. I plea to you, do not force me to regret my showing of kindness.

The map for peace in North America:

Orders:
-Continued colonization of Madagascar.
-Some settlers from Madagascar cross the channel to Mozambique for light colonization
-Some settlers from French Indochina cross to Sri Lanka for light colonization
-General growth in Cameroun and La Côte d'Ivoire
-Withdraw of 3 divisions from New Orleans; 1 division from Hispanola; 1 fivision from Lesser Antilles; 3 divisions from Quebec, all to France (total 80,000 troops).
-Also send 50 ships from Quebec and 50 ships from New Orleans to France.

Troops Abroad: 90,000
Troops at home: 310,000

Ships Abroad: 100
Ships at home: 100

[OOC] uknemesis, I think we should do a restoration of troops but not a tech advancement for this week. If we don't, me, Great
Britain and America would be at a huge disadvantage (just imagine the lands Germany could take!). The loss of 250,000 troops for me
and 200,000 for the Americans leaves us as wide-open holes for whomever may decide to waltz into our territory.[/OOC]

If you used up your troops, that's no business of fate's to suddenly restore them. You're lucky our countries have developed diplomatic ties, and I would never attack any of your countries. Maybe you had better try the same thing with Germany, instead of just asking for more troops. I'm sure Germany thinks a lot of your trust in him now, anyway :rolleyes: .

If I sound bitter, I really am not. Your peace is your own business as you say, and I wish you the best of luck:goodjob: .

It's just that the Shah finds it slightly amusing that the King of France has grown so used to war that diplomacy is loathsome to him, and he decides he needs more troops instead of befriending Germany...

To: Rey Juan Carlos of Spain
Re: Panama and Peace

We accept the aid of Spain to assist in the construction of a canal across the isthmus but we will not cede any land to Spain. Spain has no claims to the land and will only take it by force. With peace on the horizon between America and England and France, another Spainish attempt to grab our territory will be a solitary effort. We request that you not try again.

America will be more than happy to allow the transit of peaceful shipping through this canal. The transit of military ships shall be arrange via diplomatic concerns.

President Gore

==========

To: King Monrique de Bourbon IV and King Blackadder
Re: Peace

America is happy with the latest peace proposal but is not happy regarding the re-drawn borders between our nations. America will accept the border as it stands at present as opposed to us losing all the land that we had peacefully claimed and settled. We do agree not to settle any lands further north than our current settlements. (OCC: I do not think that I ever agreed to re-draw the Canada-US Border.)

The meeting in Hispanola should still be held as peace between America and Spain is still in the works.

President Gore

============

To: All Peacefull Nations
Re: Panama

Leaders,

America will begin the construction of a canal through the isthmus of Panama to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Once this canal is completed, we will allow the peaceful transit of all merchant shipping. Construction of this project can not begin until peace is secured in the Panama theatre.

President Gore

To: President Gore
Subj: Peace accords

By surrendering the remainder of Quebec and Ontario, it was assumed by me that you meant creating the modern Canadian-U.S. border. Please draw my government up a map and we will consider it, as that was what we thought the peace meant.

To: King Haakon Magnusson of the Triple Kingdom
Regarding: Greetings

I welcome your assent to the throne of the triple kingdom. Rest assured that Russia has no desire to engage in a conflict with your nation, and we look forward to a prosperous relationship with one another.

To: Mehmed Pasha
Regarding: Orthodox Minorities in the Ottoman Empire

Greetings. Russia disapproves of the violent overthrow of the Ottoman sultan and the military nature of your regime. We are willing to work peacefully with your nation so long as you continue the same policy of toleration that the sultan had concerning the Orthodox Christian minorities in the Ottoman Empire. If your government will not allow Russia's Greek and Serbian brothers to practice their faith peacefully, Russia will not look kindly on your rule.
(OOC: I am trying to play Russia as realistically as I can; this was the sticking point of Russo-Ottoman relations for over two centuries. )

To: The Nations Involved in the Hispanola Peace Conference
Regarding: Peace

I believe that all of the major parties are essentially agreed on the basic tenets of a peace treaty along the lines of the one I laid out. Since peace seems to be nearly in our grasp, Russia will bow gracefully out of the peace process and leave it to those nations involved to hammer out the final details. I am thankful once again that cooler heads have prevailed in this matter before all of the nations involved saw their entire armies destroyed.

Top Bottom