A Song of Ice and Fire

that is some good ideas thucydides25. And I also hope we could get some cool leaderheads. I think I should be able to do some work on this scenario again, but not much. So I´m gonna need a lot of help as well, to get everythink working. I´ll try and get something done this weekend. Gonna see what improvments I can do which are easy to modity and then post a new zip. But It´s a lot of the thing suggested here I do not know how to do. So some of these things might be done easier if someone else just modiefyes my zip. Then say so in the forum or PM me beforehand, so we don´t do double work...

OK, finally I have managed to make most of the issues discussed here into a new version of the scenario. See post nr.1 of this thread.

Hopefully we can release a “A Song of Ice and Fire” 1.2 soon as well. Because there are still some things I would love to fix:

More pillaging! I have not been able to figure out how make that happen

I have added special great generals for each civ, but there are still to major issues about these:
There doesn’t seem to be ways of controlling were they should start out. So even if I place Lord Tywin in Harrenhal, he might very well start in Kings Landing or Casterly Rock
And even if I have made special units to each faction of the Great General, when enough experience is gained, a normal great general pops up (Alexander i.e.). But at least in this version there are some special leaders.

And Black Rose: I haven’t been able to get your wall working. How would I get that onto the map, and how does it work.

I would also like to rename the wonders, but I’m fresh out of good ideas. Help anyone?

And it would be grand if we could get some proper leaderheads...

And for those of you who dislike the always war option in this scenario, faction attitudes are changed, so you can now remove this through wordpad.
Simply right click on the worlbuilderfile and select “open in wordpad” (or another text program) and remove the game option “PermanentWarPeace=” for each civ... I Have again tried this, but the result was a way too peaceful scenario for my liking...

Thanks a lot for your mod! I had a great time taking revenge to all those opposing House Stark. It just feels sooo good to conquer Casterly Rock :lol:

I also have a few suggestions:
*) I think there should be more time. I just was able to conquer a handful of cities before the game was over. What about doubling the time and the research durations?

*) The last part of the game is a little bit "unrealistic". Hordes of Direwolfes fight armies of Rainbow guards. What about making these units unique or to limit it to let's say 3 units per faction?

Keep up the good work! :goodjob:

You could always ask frenchman for some good static 2D LHs. He is super talented at them.

Hello,

I haven't been able to do anything for this mod for some time, maybe after next month. Regarding the Wall: I will try to retrace my steps, because I don't really remember what I did ;)

But it is an extra improvement just like a mine or fortress. You can add them by changing some of the .xml files. If someone has some experience with this please step in!

Question: Are the banners working alright for everyone?

Cheers,
Peter

i'm having a couple of issues, and i'm not sure if they are problems or not. i've been playing as house stark.

- when i'm at war with someone, and the "Refuses to talk!" option is gone, i still can't open up a dialog.

- the diplomatic dialogs say that i declared war on them. is there a way to be at war with them without having this happen?

- would it be possible to start the scenario with a couple of farms around winterfell, so that it doesn't automatically shrink? or, why is it a lvl 5 city if it's only going to shrink?

- should the direwolf unit require the horse resource? also, would it be reasonable for the direwolf unit to have a bonus vs. undead?

thanks for making this mod/scenario! i've been really enjoying it!

-david

I might be able to clarify some of the problems you have been having.
In this scenario there is many "constant wars". That means that there can never be peace between the civs, and you will not be able to talk to them either. And when the constant war option is on, as in this scenario, it is not possible for me to clerify which civ decleared war on who. Unfortunatly, House Stark has been put down as the agressor in most cases.

About Winterfell, the city should probably have been a bit smaler. As House Stark tend to get very strong towards the end of the game, they start of with very little farmland and few improvements.

Weather or not the direwolf should require horse is an issue I have been debating myself. If they did not, it would make it even better than the oponents riding forces than it allready is. Same thing with bonus vs. undead. The Direwolf allready have loads of bonuses vs. almost everybody. But I must admit I have not even thought about that before, s it might be changed in an future version of the scenario.

If you have any other suggestions, please come with them...

thanks for the information!

which houses are at constant war? i ask only because i have seen many of the other houses declare peace with each other (and few declare war).

winterfell shrinks to size 3 before the worker there can get a farm built, i think (in two playings of the scenario), so maybe it could just start that size.

maybe there is some other resource that the direwolves could require? maybe fur or deer (with the idea that these are camps that capture wildlife, and so one could imagine that this is where the direwolf pups for the units are found/captured)? or maybe you could define a new resource type that is direwolves, requiring a camp, only appearing in the north. maybe only house stark workers could build this camp (i was suprised to see riverrun direwolves show up... edit: just saw a direwolf from lord renly's host, as well... is this intended?).

one thing i have noticed: the greyjoys take 2-3 stark cities the first turn or two of the game, but then don't defend them well or capitalize on them. they just seem to sit on their islands after that, getting huge armies there, but not sending those armies out anywhere.

is it intended that knights get defensive bonuses (unlike all the other mounted units)?

is it possible to set up direwolves/kingsguard such that they aren't the upgrade for knights? it would be nice to be able to build both direwolves/kingsguard and knights, if indeed the knights are supposed to receive defensive bonuses.

To be honest I can't quite remember who is at constant war with each other at the moment. The Starks are definitely at constant war with the Lannisters, the Greyjoys and the two Baratheons, while the Lannisters are at constant war with the two Baratheons, the Tullys, Highgarden and the Starks. Stannis is at constant war his brother, the Lannisters and the Starks. And everybody is at constant war with the Others and the Wildlings. The only two civs without a constant war (expect for against the wildlings and the others) are Vale and Dorne as far as I can remember.

When it comes to the direwolf requiring fur, that is probably a good idea. And regarding direwolfs in other civs; that should not happen. The direwolf is a unique unit for the Starks. I am gonna have to look into that. But unfortunately I am just now moving to a new apartment, so time is not what I have the most of at the moment.

And why the greyjoys stay on their islands I do not know. I must look into that as well. Maybe someone knows why?

And the upgrading idea is good as well…

And to unexpectederror: more time could be considered. But that would make it easier to play with the big civs and even harder to play with the smaller, as for instance the starks tend to grow very strong toward the later stages of the game, while Renly and Stannis are usually suffering. But I might be able to lengthen the game a bit more.

And I would like the numer of direwolfs/kingsguards/rainbow gards to be limited, but I do not know how. Anyone who can help me?

And Black Rose, the banners seem to be working perfectly. Thanks again…

And I would like the numer of direwolfs/kingsguards/rainbow gards to be limited, but I do not know how. Anyone who can help me?

In the Civ4UnitClassInfos XML file you can set either global, team, or player max amounts on specific units.

another thought: the rainbow guard seem a little overpowered. at 14 strength, they are way stronger than any other "strongest" unit in the game (kingsguard and direwolves are strength 10). rainbow guard also get defensive bonuses, which is huge.

another thought: the rainbow guard seem a little overpowered. at 14 strength, they are way stronger than any other "strongest" unit in the game (kingsguard and direwolves are strength 10). rainbow guard also get defensive bonuses, which is huge.
true, although if the number of rainbow guards is, let's say, limited to 3 units, it would be ok and realistic - since the rainbow guard are really fine warriors (surely better than direwolves)

true, although if the number of rainbow guards is, let's say, limited to 3 units, it would be ok and realistic - since the rainbow guard are really fine warriors (surely better than direwolves)

i don't know if we've ever seen a "unit" of direwolves in the books, so i couldn't say.

now, rainbow guards vs. kingsguard: these seem like they should be more on par.

This mod looks awesome. As a SoIaF reader who recently joined this forum, I can't wait to try it. Sadly, I have no modding skills whatsoever. But I have some ideas. Like, maybe there shouldn't be a direwolf unit at all, we could have another special unit for the Starks. Or we can just give them more generals, since they had some pretty good ones (but of course, we'd all just use Roose Bolton as connon fodder, right?:p ). Wouldn't regicide be great for this. Also, the war gets alot more interesting later in the story--I'd love to try to win with the Starks after Robb dies. :crazyeye:

*bump* This mod looks really cool, I have enjoyed all the Song of Ice and Fire books so far. Any chance of it being made compatible with BTS? Thanks! :D

I'm wondering where to find the next version of the mod.... i have the one from the first post but it doesn't seem to have the changes u said u made....

Is anyone still working on this mod ?
I was very eager to try but a bit disapointed by the early stage of development of the mod (don't get me wrong, I like the map and I've never done a mod myself, great start!).
If noone is working on it maybe I could give it a try...

thank you everyone for your comments. But I am afraid I havn't had any time to work on this mod the last half year or so, and I don't thing I'll be able to do anything in the near future either. But if anyone want to do something with this scenario or use some if, you are more than welcome to.

Hi there, i found this thread and just want to know if there is any possibility to get the development running on again.
I have no modding-experience, but maybe some skilled people could help, to get ASoIaF running for BtS.

Right know i have some free-time to spend, and maybe some more people love to play it,too.

LET`S GET STARTED!!! :)

Top Bottom