A Story a Turn! Ethiopian Rise

Chaosllama

Chieftain
Hello to all! This is my inaugral post, and - if I might say - I'm excited to become part of this awesome community!

In this Let's Play, I combine my passion for games with my love for writing. For every turn that passes, I have drafted a short story that dives into the world we create - developing the game in a whole new light. Posts are made 5 turns at a time and daily. I hope you enjoy it!

Welcome:

Chapter One (40 years/ turn)
From Land to Sky
Turns 0-5
Turns 6-10
Turns 11-15
Turns 16-20
Turns 21-25
Turns 26-30
Turns 31-35
Turns 36-40
Turns 41-45
Turns 46-50
Turns 51-55
Turns 56-60
Turns 61-65
Turns 66-70
Turns 71-75

Chapter Two (25 years/ turn)
Abyssian Days
Turns 76-80
Turns 81-85
Turns 86-90
Turns 91-95

Check out our new Facebook page to have updates sent right to your feed!

Feel free to leave comments with advice or desires here and on the blog.

Thanks for the chance to share this, and thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Chaosllama

I like it! It certainly gives a new detail to Civ. Are you going to update it past 35?

Yessir! I started it last week and will continue it into the summer. I reckon it will end shortly after Brave New World comes out.

Summary of the first 10 posts and 50 turns:

Ethiopia has had a wondrous start for King difficulty; their fiftieth turn ends with them in the lead with 110 points – compared to the 68 of the closest, known competitor.

The main focus during these turns was building wonders. Most of the initial benefits – from social policies to the chosen pantheon – facilitated the construction of both Stonehenge and the Great Library. Due to a few lucky ancient ruin discoveries, Ethiopia’s technology eclipses all others’ – allowing them the luxury of classical-era wonders and their benefits.

As far as opposition goes, Japan poses the greatest threat due to their envy of Ethiopian lands. They are the smallest nation near Addis Ababa, but their military unique bonus could make them a genuine threat. Other nations are rapidly expanding – having at least two cities. Ethiopia – in the heart of the Tradition social policy track and due to the focus on wonder building – only has a single city.

The next few posts will be highly eventful. The Oracle is due in several turns, a Golden Age will arise shortly after, and Ethiopia will have the chance to found a religion around the same time. As usual, at least one short story will be included with each turn – making for an interesting read.

Some story highlights of these posts:

Turn 3 – 3880 BC

“Hey Babirye!” a young boy shouts as he runs to a girl outside of her hut.
“Hi, Chibueze,” the girl lazily replies.
“What are you doing today?”
“Going to pick berries – like usual. You know that. Are you going to help bind weapons for the searchers?”
“No, my father wants me to train with him today. He saw a tiger on his way to the stone yesterday. He wants me to be safe.”
“Okay – have fun. Don’t hurt yourself.”
“Do you want to hang out later?”
“I’ll see what my mama says.”

Turn 4 – 3840 BC

Chibueze spent many years as a searcher. He was one of the most agile in the village, and his moons spent in the distant jungles only strengthened his abilities. The outings were dangerous – as the area beyond the safety of Addis Ababa was fraught with dangerous animals. He settled down after a while and had a son, and though he has never admits it to his wife, he makes a wish each night that his son will never have to experience such dangers.

“He’s sure growing fast, isn’t he?” Babirye says from his shoulder as the two watch their son, Adeto.

“I don’t even know if I can keep up with him anymore!” he says with a slight laugh.

“Oh please! You’re still one of the bravest warriors this village has seen in a long time. You’ll probably be training him to be just the same in no time.”

“I don’t know if I really want to… I mean – it’s not nice out there. The stone layers sometimes complain that their jobs are awful, but to have to face those dangers in the jungles… They’re lucky that they’re weak. We lost countless men to the beasts in there. I don’t know if I want my son to be subjected to such a thing.”

“You never know what the future holds… There might be something else for him.”
“What else is there here for him to do? I doubt it.”

“Come here. No need stressing yourself out about that. They had some tiger sightings near the yellow jungle. You’ll need plenty of rest for tomorrow. Maybe we’ll make another little one while we’re at it.”

Chibueze chuckles, wipes his brow, and retires to their clay hut at the outskirts of the village.

Turn 5 – 3800 BC

Adeto was still unsure whether this was the best idea.

He and two dozen other searchers had broken through the jungle and discovered an unknown part of Adeto River. They wondered whether they should have back-tracked and crossed the river at one of the safer points near the village. They saw some memorable chunks of jungle ahead and figured there would be a slight chance they could continue without having to cross this treacherous length. However, since they had been in the jungle for at least three moons now – the deepest they have ever been – their muscles were filled with excitement and pride, and they decide against it – pushing onwards.

They gathered vines from the jungle and attached them to their abdomens. They could tell by the rapids that the river’s pull would be strong, and they did not want to take any chances. They found several rocks that would lead them across the river. One of the men leaped onto the first rock and then another. Tied to each other, the remaining men followed suit.

All was going well – until Adeto’s friend, Chidibere slipped and fell in. With a startling splash, the vines across the nearest men’s abdomens were pulled taught – yanking one of them in. The second to fall into the water desperately latched onto a nearby rock and pulled himself from the violent stream. Each of the men held their ground to prevent Chidibere from being lost to the current. Unfortunately, his vine had slid from his chest in the accident and secured itself upon his neck. Each of the warriors stared blankly at one another as they strained. He was lost.
Adeto had been near Chidibere, but was not one of the ones holding his weight. Not wanting to see his friend suffer, he pulled out his stone hatchet and tried to hack through the vine. Despite his efforts, it didn’t work, and so he untied himself, and dove into the river. He caught the vine and allowed the current to drag him towards his friend. He carefully pried the vine from Chidibere’s neck and sent him down the river to meet the sea. After a single moment of mourning, Adeto turned and hoisted himself up the rope. The other searchers cheered as he neared them. All was well until he heard some shouting. He looked up from his struggle and saw a log speeding towards him.

Adeto closed his eyes and embraced the darkness.

Turn 23 3080 BC

Inscription on a Palace Vase – circa 3080
We build for those who built the past.
We build for those who keep us strong.
We build so us and they are not forgot.

Turn 34 2640 BC

Odhiambo, the viceroy scholar in charge of the Great Library’s catalogue and operations, led Alkerkigaar into the palace-like courtyard of the new building. They passed countless stone-dusted pillars that wrapped around the courtyard until they met the brilliant entranceway. They entered into a room with towering shelves filled with missives, tablets, wooden etchings and much more. Scholarsstrolled to and fro – examining, cataloguing, and researching the library’s contents.

“As you can see, your works will be well protected here, lord,” Odhiambo said. Alkerkigar looked impressed, but he did not stand with his mouth agape as so many before him had.

After a few moments of silence, Odhiambo continued, “You will have your own section in the city-side wing.” They rounded a corner to a long room with several empty shelves. “I must say: The scholars have raved about your work. Having been so busy with the consumption of new pieces, I haven’t had the chance to read one of your missives or attend any of your speeches. Would I ever be able to get a private audience with you?"

Alkerkigaar silently walked to a shelf and brushed his hand along its empty length.

“Why wait until tomorrow when we can discuss matters right now?” Alkerkigaar said quietly, “Have you ever considered what it all means? Why we do our tasks day in, day out?”

“Well, there are many reasons… I mean, we just do it. It seems like the thing to do,” Odhiambo replied – surprised to have fallen into conversation so quickly.

“When you go home to your mate tonight, look into her eyes and see if anything becomes clear. Does she make you happy? Do you look forward to returning to her each day? If so, give her extra love and care for it, and I assure you that your life will always be better when you arrive home.
“This applies for all, but it is all very different. You see, the man building his neighbour’s home may do it because he was asked, he may do it for love, or he may do it because building brings honour to our people in the eyes of Adeto. Without any of this motivation, will he work? He may, but it will not be enjoyable, and his life will not be worthwhile in the very least. You see, it is up to us to give meaning to life. By finding our meaning and following it with sincere passion, we can find enjoyment and understanding within our existence.”

“Well, I see why they have spoken so highly of you. Thank you, Alkerkigaar. You are a welcome addition to our Great Library.”

I hope you've been enjoying our journey this far! Please share it with others if you find it worthwhile!

Just saying, Ethiopia was called "Abyssinia" not "Abyssia".

Also bumping because more people should know about this.

So it would be! Whoops - recollection error. I still like the feeling that "Abyssia" gives off though. Haha, thanks for the correction.

And thanks for the bump; my shameless, tactical bump (summary) would have been tomorrow. Ain't no day like the present though!

Happy gaming, writing, and reading! :)

I am happy to announce that Abyssia will continue its journey on the 17th!

I received a happy birthday message from this awesome community, went out and bought BNW, and took a deep breath; I believe I'm ready! I'd really hate to see something as involved as this fade into nothing. The updates will only be weekly from now on, but that will allow me to make the written pieces into a better quality.

I'm looking forward to sharing this experience with all of you :)

Aaaaaaand, the project's cancelled. Sorry to anyone who had been following it... I just lost heart. I am no longer depressed (it was seasonal depression... apparently I get depressed when the sun comes out after winter... huh) but I am not ready to continue this.

Life lesson? Don't try to make money off of something that should be reserved as a hobby. I signed up for a Summer Company program through the Ontario government and tried to use this as a potential business. I would have edited these and put them into an eBook once it finished... Unfortunately, it just didn't feel right. I declined when they accepted the idea.

It still doesn't feel right - maybe because I cracked open Brave New World and can't return to this older version. To give you long and the short of it: Abyssia would have gained a culture victory, there would have been many fascinating stories, and our civilization would have looked nothing like Ethiopia does today. If anyone desires, I can post the last four short stories that I drafted.

Well, it was fun! I'm still doing my normal writing - so anyone who wrote down that one code should still hold onto it. My other writing is less hobby-based... I will make a go of it :)

Happy writing and gaming!

Top Bottom