1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A study on Teleportation

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Tutorials, Reference, & Guides' started by Bluemofia, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

Edited again for what Gramphos and sgrig found.

2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias I saw the Great Library burn.

Question: will using the "cracked" editor result in a normally playable .biq, just with the teleportation features enabled?

Thanks,

Oz

3. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

4. Ozymandias

5. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Ouch! Thanks for the info... Looks like I'll be canning the mage's teleport ability and the mage tower's telepad function in that case.. It would suck to have your capitol taken without a fight just because 1 mage teleports into it. I'm still keeping the telepad function for the mages so that summoned creatures can teleport to them.

6. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

I know that according to Hindu tradition most siddhis (metaphysical powers such as teleportation) can only be learned and function effectively away from the distractions of an urban center. So:

Can airfields have the telepad function? If so, then a unit (mage?) could be given the ability to build telepads; while they might be taken by rivals, the nearby cities would not be endangered.

7. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

I don't think they can. Those things are pretty much hard coded on what they do.

8. Keroro

Keroro Dororo: Ninja Frog

As I understand it, you don't actually have to have any teleport buildings. A unit could teleport from one telepad unit to another. If so, then we can get around the issues with cities being too easy to capture.

On another note - has anyone encountered any instability with the cracked editor? I don't want to start working on a scenario with it and find that I lose a load of work because of a dodgy editor.

9. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

I've had no instability with it...

10. Civinator

It´s even better. :D

You don´t need a telepad unit to teleport a unit to a unit telepad. You only need a unit that has the "teleportable" ability and is in range (telepad range)of a legal telepad unit. In these cases the unit can teleport to the telepad unit from every land tile. It must not be in a stack with a telepad unit to teleport to that telepad unit.

Please note, that you can adjust for each unit what are there legal unit (and building) telepads. It seems, the unit can´t teleport to a telepad unit that isn´t a legal telepad for that unit even if the unit is in that telepad units´range.

The same for building telepads. It seems you can teleport from one building telepad to another building telepad (and capture that city if it´s owned by another civ) if the unit has the teleport ability, but only if the other building telepad is a legal building telepad for that unit.

11. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Yes, currently, I have the FF mod set up so that Mage Towers are telepad buildings, and mages are both teleportable and telepads. Mages only have the Mage towers as their legal telepads, whilst the summoned creatures (when I get around to making them) would have had both mages and mage towers as legal telepads.... As it will soon be, only the summoned creatures will have the teleport ability and they will be able to teleport to mage units.

12. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

Very interesting...

I just found out that paradropable units can not be telepads. Quite unexpected.

13. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

That does sound pretty interesting. I wonder what other flags are like that?

I also wonder if it is something along these lines that are stopping the "Charm" from working. It may be "Capture", "Load", or something else that you wouldn't really want to get rid of...

14. WilliamOfOrange

WilliamOfOrange King

D'oh! That messes up my plans. What about putting barbs units with telepad abilities? hmmmm....

15. Ozymandias

Does the AI actually use teleportation?

-Oz

16. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

I think Civinator set up a way for the AI to do so on the 1st page.

17. Civinator

Oz, here is the thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=208023

The AI did use teleportation. It even declared war. And then, it tried to teleport back. So it seems good if the AI can´t teleport back when it should invade another territory. And the AI teleported a lot in its own empire.

But all this research about the use of teleportation by the AI is in its beginnings. :)

18. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Can we make custom units with teleportation special effects? In other words is there an animation associated with the teleport function?

19. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

No animation is played.

And I found something else:

Units with the upgrade ability may not receive teleporting units.

Someone confirm this statement. I tested it, and strangely enough, they can't.

20. Ozymandias

I'm impressed - Kudos for fault isolation :thumbsup:

-Oz