A victory for the Pastafarians!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyshenanigan

Emperor
Austrian driver's religious headgear strains credulity
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14135523
An Austrian atheist has won the right to be shown on his driving-licence photo wearing a pasta strainer as "religious headgear".

Niko Alm first applied for the licence three years ago after reading that headgear was allowed in official pictures only for confessional reasons.

Mr Alm said the sieve was a requirement of his religion, pastafarianism.

The Austrian authorities required him to obtain a doctor's certificate that he was "psychologically fit" to drive.

The idea came into Mr Alm's noodle three years ago as a way of making a serious, if ironic, point.

A self-confessed atheist, Mr Alm says he belongs to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, a light-hearted faith whose members call themselves pastafarians. continued...

:goodjob: I never really thought about religious headgear in drivers licenses before. I guess they have to allow it for Hasidic Jews, Sikhs, and some Muslims. Does this open up the possibility of other countries allowing Pastafarians to wear pasta strainers on there heads in drivers licenses? Also how come "real" religious drivers aren't subjected to psychological fitness testing?

Is this not opening a door for athiesm becoming a bonefide religion, since he did so religiously go about it?

Is this not opening a door for athiesm becoming a bonefide religion, since he did so religiously go about it?

No, because not all atheists have been touched by His Noodley Appendage.

Again: the lack of belief in god does not constitute a religion. I keep saying this, but "OFF" is not a TV channel. Why is that so hard for believers to accept?

:goodjob: I never really thought about religious headgear in drivers licenses before. I guess they have to allow it for Hasidic Jews, Sikhs, and some Muslims. Does this open up the possibility of other countries allowing Pastafarians to wear pasta strainers on there heads in drivers licenses?

No. Hopefully, it will open up the possibility of countries completely removing religion from any form of government necessity including such exceptions.

Theoretically speaking, can a secular government, within the concept of the separation of Church and state actually define what a religion is?

I really don't see a point to Pastafarianism. It's just Atheists trying to annoy Christians by mocking their religion in front of their face, while actually only annoying them.

Tada! You just saw the point of Pastafarianism

I really don't see a point to Pastafarianism. It's just Atheists trying to annoy Christians by mocking their religion in front of their face, while actually only annoying them.

Not just Christians. All religions with random arbitrary rules supposedly handed down from God(s) Himself.

Isn't it slightly hypocritical that he is treating it like a dogma?

Now let us all read from the book of Cook:

"And so it was, that the great Spaghetti God sent his one true son, Speghetti-O, to Earth!"

What a waste of time.

I have a FSM emblem on my Jeep, to protect me while driving.

what a *******ed person*

No, because not all atheists have been touched by His Noodley Appendage.

Again: the lack of belief in god does not constitute a religion. I keep saying this, but "OFF" is not a TV channel. Why is that so hard for believers to accept?

Again, I am not excepting anything. I asked a question based on someone trying to make a point. If someone protest all the time, does that mean there is nothing to protest about? BTW God is not a TV. Religion is a TV that is trying to "channel" God. Off is turning off religion. God is still broadcasting, but would prefer it done personally and not dogmatically. Now we seem to clash, that God does not exist, so when I say religion, I am not refferring to God, but a manmade substitute. I try to say that it is a substitute, and it seems you keep saying there is no need to even substitute. If there is no need to do that, then there is no issue, and this post does not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom