1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Accurate Earth Map in development

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by kevinman4404, Jul 26, 2007.

1. allypower

allypower Warlord

@Kevin - I made a scenario using Ghengis Kai's GEM with modern resources last year (210 x 90 = 18900 tiles). It didn't last very long. Half way through I didn't like the feel of the map but was too lazy to change so I went through with it. The result is some +400 cities and +3000 units. Though it did feel a little "epic" it didn't run too well.

I also didn't understand why it randomly crashed during Hotseat multiplayer :mad:. So this time around I decided to use Carter's map (192 x 120 = 23040 tiles) simply because it "looks better" but with a little hesistation because it's has 4000+ more tiles. However the result is much better since there are much less land masses. (only 275 cities and 2000 units).

And it hasn't crashed.... yet. :lol:

I'm not sure how yours will turn out though. Try to put it in a modern scenario and see if it crashes.

2. kevinman4404

kevinman4404 Lightning Warrior

A quick response before I go to bed- your game should not be crashing- I'm sure you know that is either a problem with your video card or a compatibility issue between your video card and the game. This used to be a major issue for me. In the few years I've had my current, nice computer, I've never had a single crash for any reason and as you know this map is quite big.

If you are crashing at that size of map you will need to enable memsaver in your civ4config file (and turn off any background applications that could interrupt your game). On my old computer memsaver did a LOT to prevent crashes, and it's the only reason I was able to make this map at the time.

I will do a full game soon, just need free time- when it is released if you could let me know how well it works for you and your vague computer specs I'd love to know (though don't be too optimistic!)

Kevin

3. Laskaris

Laskaris Warlord

I am not strictly relying on stats, either. For the most part, yes, but I did use some poetic license here and there to make the map more balanced. Especially with ancient resources. For instance, places like Spain or Egypt have more gold than they should have if we are strictly talking about URR (ultimate recoverable reserves). But because they had some important gold mines in antiquity, I placed a gold resource there.

Will do.

4. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

kevinman4404,
    How is it going with the map?

You are so close now, I am patient but can't wait to see your results.

Either way, please take a moment to look at the C2C -Cavemen to Cosmos threads.
    The value to you could be in solutions that could be slowing you down, as well as easily integrating new ideas.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=449

They are currently covering a lot of the same ground as you are. I think even a quick glimpse at their project forum could help you with breakthroughs, as they have revolutionized terrain, expanded the resource limit, re-engineered the AI(recently improved pathfinding), vastly improved game-speed and fixed fundamental Civ IV errors, and have ambitiously reached to extend Civ IV game concepts (galactic and planatery maps, alternate timelines and eras, whole new game concepts (disease spread, flammability, nomadic start, subdued animals ,etc.).
    I hope this is an inspiration and not a distraction to you because your project deserves to see life.
    Ultimately, I think the C2C team and you share a unique ambition, the love for making Civ IV/ Civilization better, and many similar ideas. You both could go so much farther together; Both mods would benefit greatly and save you time, please consider talking directly with the C2C modmakers now. I promise it is worth your time.

5. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

Clearly, that is the right future of this project.

(death to the pun maker! :p)

Anyway, will be eagerly awaiting the glorious results.

6. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

Kevin,
    Could you please include a download of the beta version of your existing map now as you continue to perfect it?

I see how productive you are when you can make time. I suspect you could be potentially be the most productive modder in all of the forums if you could just get past the prototype stage. You are so close!!!! Please, Please get that 1st version to the point we can help or at least comment? I keep recommending Cavemen2Cosmos to you, so much because they are really helpful as well as making amazing progress. I just imagine what you could do with a little help to multiply your efforts and get past bottlenecks/problems. It will save you time.

What can I do to assist you personally?
    I don't want time constraints or problems to halt you for months.
    I bet if you wrote with a little consistency that you would get a lot of feedback and offers to help. Even once you launch it will be a work in progress, so please post what you can, so we can help.

You are so close, and your map and project is so promising. Let's get the momentum started together :)
    Anyone else willing to join me as loose support team? Even if you are just a player, let's come together to support Kevin!

7. civ editor11

civ editor11 Ruler

I would help develop his mod idea and maybe help add to the map

8. kevinman4404

I'm sorry I didn't notice your replies- I have been way too busy to work on this for the last few weeks. Barely getting stuff done- it's been rough. I should free up again in a couple days. I really just need a few days to clean things up and get something released, there's hardly anything left to do, as you can see from the front page. @rightfuture- regarding your mod, I just need time

Ha, and just to promote the full mod a little bit, I just came across a nice diplomacy quote for the first king of Merina- "La mer est la limite de mon royaume." You don't get that kind of stuff in any other mod :goodjob:

(by the way, this map has long since broken the resource barrier :p though that is truly an accomplishment because all the information that is out there on that is currently incorrect, including my own)

9. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

I'm with you all the way. Keep us updated. And please let us know if you need help :)

10. kevinman4404

Just a quick update to let everyone know I've been working on this for the last few days. I have what will probably the closest thing anyone has made to a working Light Forest for a long time (without a huge investment of time and energy). I forgot to place a few resources so I have to do that. Unfortunately my sources for their placement are an hour away so I can't do much about that atm. Other than that I just have to clean xml, do civpedia entries, etc. and that is what I am doing now.

11. kevinman4404

Does anyone know where in the xml you can determine what features get cut down by improvements? For example, building a farm will clear a forest that is on that tile. But it will not clear a light forest. Anyone know?

EDIT: Nevermind! Found it 30 seconds later in buildinfos.xml. Will release shortly

12. kevinman4404

WORLD HISTORY MAP alpha has been released. You can download it at:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dgzvn4qss244951/WORLDHISTORYMAPalpha1.zip

It is an alpha, so it is not yet complete, but it has made a lot of improvements. Please feel free to test it out and offer suggestions.

thanks
    Kevin

note: grid must be off for this map/mod to work at the moment... also it requires BTS 3.19

13. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

AWesome! Been wiating for that. :D

14. SimonB1er

SimonB1er Warlord

So anybody tried it out???

15. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

I'm going to ASAP. Excellent job getting the alpha version out, Kevin. I'm excited to play it!
    Looking forward to see where it goes. let me know if you need any help :)

16. RyanTheGreat

RyanTheGreat Warlord

How is the map anyone played it?

17. stfoskey12

stfoskey12 Emperor of Foskania

Have you released smaller regions for gameplay on slower computers, and if not, how hard would that be?

18. kevinman4404

Hi, been a while but I'm back checking messages.

Did anyone try it? If it was slow, do you mind posting your computer stats?

I have not considered it- I guess it would depend on how well it runs for people with a modern setup. I will try a game myself soon and see if it runs well. I don't think it would be too hard to put it on a smaller map but I just don't have time to try.

best
    Kevin

19. ZachScape

ZachScape King

I'll try it now.

Couple of comments:

Volcanoes are cool but erupt all the time.
    France/Celtia/Netherlands/Holy Rome are way too cramped. Just because they are supposed to be founded there does not mean they have to start there or start period.
    Most capitals are founded on resources which really irks me.
    Places historically more developed are lacking in resources (IE. New York area) while places undeveloped seem abundant, which may turn out to decrease the actual historical balance of power.
    Random battle effects are happening within my borders (America)
    Korea is really skinny up top. I suggest adding a tile.
    Uruk and Babylon should be switched. They're in the wrong places AFAIK.

I suggest you merge some components from BUG into the map so that you can auto play the game.

20. kevinman4404

Thank you, I'll look into all these things, though I'm not even sure what this map is for. Maybe I was hoping someone else would use it and make a game out of it (like my mod would)

I also just noticed the fire bug- when a human player's unit walks near some winter tiles, the winter graphics turn into siege fire graphics. I will try to fix this.

Will update soon