1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Accurate Earth Map in development

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by kevinman4404, Jul 26, 2007.

1. kevinman4404

kevinman4404 Lightning Warrior

Hi, it will be released with my mod (due soon); an independent map release is indefinitely postponed until I recieve help on getting wintermod to work with the entire map (performance is no where near good enough)

2. tchristensen

tchristensen Emperor

I look forward to seeing it.

I am curious if it would work in my mod and will give it a go and tell you my results.

3. kevinman4404

@tchristensen: remember that it requires a barebones mod to run, due to all the custom bonuses, terrains, and well, everything. But if you end up needing any help just pm me!

Clay and stone are only quarry-able.
    Although coral is a resource, it will act like a feature. IE there is no improvement.
    Cork could provide a bonus to wine, though it is under consideration for deletion.
    Fodder I think I will delete, though it is a major part of the Scandinavian economy, despite your remarks.
    Nutrients deleted.
    You are VERY wrong about obsidian. Obsidian was considered the most important commodity for many civilizations in early history.
    Papyrus hmmmmmmm
    Rubber, too important of a commodity (ie too valuable, even though it didn't last too long)
    Amber is too valuable in medieval times, ie the Amber Road
    Platinum, strangely enough, doesn't appear to exist in my mod

I am SO surprised you are in favour of keeping Walrus/Ivory N :goodjob::lol:

As you know, most resources in Civ4 do NOT have a purpose. For example, sheep/goats in real life provide clothing and cheese, but in Civ4 theyre just :food::commerce:

So, my only rationale for deleting resources appears to be if there are two that are practically the same (ie sheep and goats), or ones that are stupid (ie nutrients)

Any comments, let me know! I will update with a proper list soon

4. RyanTheGreat

RyanTheGreat Warlord

when will you release this map?

5. kevinman4404

Surprisingly, it might be ready to go very soon. The problem was getting wintermod to perform quickly enough (changing terrains took too long). But I think I found a workaround that performs better- to use graphic-only improvements that look like blizzards to represent varying degrees of winter.

I just need a bit of spare time. And my internet is having problems. But I will find time!

6. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

Good. Then we will ask kindly for you to do it for CiV as well. :D

Still, even the map base by itself looks great. I can't wait.
    (Maybe even Rhye (or his community) can set up something on this?)

7. RyanTheGreat

RyanTheGreat Warlord

I am anxious to try this map it has to be the best ive seen for civ

8. binTravkin

binTravkin Chieftain

Yes, even without the extra resources and other specific modifications this would be excellent to release (Lite version? :) ).
    If this can be combined with RFC that would be absolute awesomeness! :)

9. RyanTheGreat

RyanTheGreat Warlord

I second a "lite" version

10. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

Kevinman4404 -
    Please take a hard look at the Cavemen2Cosmos Mod for some major inspiration.
    If anything it would benefit you to submit some of your ideas there.
    I would also love to see you in their forums, because they are making some serious progress there.
    These guys could benefit you, at least from some comments, and vice versa. Your mods were made to help each others.
    Please consider it, if only to save you and them some time, and an idea exchange would simply be awesome.
    Cross pollination of mod ideas. Maybe you can also draw a few more contributors.
    It would make my turn/year!! :)

Also they have a ton of resources, and terrains, and units, and great ideas.
    Thanks for even considering a little commentary there!
    Please take a look and let me know what you think!!
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=449

11. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

Your mod is so promising, Please come back and consider enlisting help to finish it!

12. Voyhkah

Voyhkah Political Activist

Looks like you're planning something like RFC, but more so(!). I like it, especially the domestication part. Maybe you should add some sort of advanced resources mechanic, sorta Guns, Germs, and Steel-y.

13. Gem Hound

Gem Hound Deity

This looks interesting. :)

14. kevinman4404

Hi, sorry I missed your replies

I have two weeks now that I will work on and release the map. No work has been done up to this point (have been too busy)

Will certainly look at the mod you mentioned, rightfuture. And will try to get some help once I get something released.

Thanks for everyone's continued interest
    best
    Kevin

15. kevinman4404

OK, wintermod is working successfully. I would still like to make it look better (visually) at some point. Winter is now visual only (I mean winter doesn't really make a place less fertile... the terrain does). Icemod is still there (ice sheets will expand and recede). OK so this doesn't mean much for this map-only release, but it's there nonetheless.

I will release the map like the other giant earth maps on this site: with all the standard BTS civs placed in their proper starting locations. Anything else (ie making it into various scenarios, adapting it into your mod, etc.) is up to the user. Of course, it will not be balanced in any way, and I'm sure it can (and will) be improved in many small ways.

I will also include a version with only vanilla civs. The map itself is compatible with all versions.

Any questions, suggestions, etc. please let me know.

Kevin

16. RyanTheGreat

RyanTheGreat Warlord

Great! Can't wait to play this map I think it's the best I've seen yet good work so far

17. mourndraken

mourndraken King

I last typed anything about this map 3, almost 4 years ago.
    I now have a current question: where is the download link ?

18. kevinman4404

Well, just imagine, that I have been intermittently doing everything I can to get my mod (which uses this map) working for the last four years (so long!). And the time has come for this piece of it to be released, I promise.

Nidaros (coastal Norway) during a particularily bitter winter:

I hope I don't disappoint anyone but this will not work on laptops (feel free to try and let me know once I release it). For a tolerable, reasonable gameplay speed, please compare your computer with mine as shown in my signature. I am still planning how I am going to release this. I don't want to say too much right now.

By the way, four different Canadian posters in a row, wow!:) Nice to see some old names
    Merry christmas

19. RyanTheGreat

RyanTheGreat Warlord

So how does the mod work? Do civs start when they are historically suppossed to( Canada starts in 1867)? Would Russia be able to settle all of it's land because your map is massive and I'm sure maintenance costs would be a problem. I'm guessing it will be like rhyes mod.

20. mourndraken

mourndraken King

if you release it, I'll let you know. Happy Festivus!

Link to video.