Accurate Earth Map in development

Maritimes and St. Lawrence River corridor look great! Heck ... it looks like you've even got the Champlain Valley in there to some degree. I'm very satisfied.

Keep up the good work!

I hate to be nitpicky, and maybe it's just my inflated perception of Michigan, but I think that the upper peninsula should have a copper resource, there are several copper mines that have been running for centuries close to Lake Superior. Otherwise it looks fantastic. Thanks.

Poland looks great! But i think it makes sense to include a horses somewhere there though. (just a small suggestion)

@Mrhoeivo- I'll look into it. It makes sense that there would be copper there, I'll let you know next update.

@TheLastOne36- heh, just made me realize I haven't added any horse resources yet :) They're not so much resources as transportation tools, so they're not anywhere in my sources. So Poland, I'd imagine, would get a horse.

@Frekk- glad you like them :)

~~~Update later today~~~

UPDATE~~~

Here is the volcano graphic, seen on the Hawaii Islands...

And another application, NW Alaska (don't mind if I obsessively post pictures of the north :p) NOTE: ignore the grassland tile at the top of the image, it has since been fixed

The update (settler maps for the RFC's civs which are being carried over into my mod so I don't obliterate the code) will be continued into the next post.

KEY TO THE SETTLER MAP REPRESENTATIVE IMAGES:

Blood Red: Capital region
Red: Core region of empire
Pinks: Important regions of empire
Oranges: Standard and lesser regions of empire
Gold/Tan (the weird colour): Lesser regions of empire and influence of empire
Yellows and Light Greens: Wanted areas/Interesting areas

The Dark Green you see everywhere means land, and the Light Blue, obviously water. Note that I have unintentionally not included many lakes and islands.

~~~

Feel free to dispute any of my 'maps' (from excel, which via macros makes the settler maps for me), just make sure you are not confusing colours (for example the tan might be considered a pink, which it shouldn't, just as gold shouldn't be considered a yellow). Also realize that it may take me some time to incorporate any corrections (my primary goal at this time is to get the mod to run my map, after which this is a piece of cake).

Japanese Empire: NOTE: You can't see it but Japan has a mild interest in Malta.

Mayan Empire:

More to come shortly.

If you do not know what a settler map is, my explanation can be found (presumably) in the mod's thread. These maps will dictate how a civ behaves territorially.

Also note that unfortunately I cannot keep consistent, and these maps are hardly porportionate to eachother. So if one has lots of core and capital regions, there's not too much I can do.

@Mrhoeivo~ I'll have my answer to your copper request next update

I think I can see where you're going with the Settler Map idea, I think. The explaination of it on the other thread doesn't seem to be entirely clear. I'm guessing that civs will prioritise their city-building based on how "core" a tile is to their empire? So the French will concentrate on colonising what is currently France, rather than spilling across into Germany or down into Iberia, before they spread into other regions? Occupying parts of their territory will cause relations problems based on the importance of that terrotory?

If I'm mistaken, that's how I'd do it anyway. :p

I understand the extra terrain types will affect the population quantification in your mod, but will it be possible to use this map using normal Civ4 rules?

You're right, I think. The closer something is to being a core region, the more the civ wants to settle on it (or will dispute it with a neighbour who owns the tile). But it is only "highly, highly probably" that a civ will settle a core region before a lesser or an interesting region. Or maybe it works within categories, where it will settle all the core regions, then go for the important regions, then standard/lesser regions, then interesting regions, etc. All the tiles say though, in essence, (I believe) is how much a civ wants each tile. Except the core regions, which are important enough for the civ to focus on.

The map is unavailable as a standalone map. Not one person in these forums has the computer power to play all couple-hundred-civs on this huge map, at once. However, I do plan on having a quantitized and non-quantitized version, because I want all to be OK with having this as a mod, and therefore there can't be anything too radical/unneccessary in it.

Finally, since I don't want to update the mod section just for this (though I'll say it in the next update), thanks to GeneralSpecific for passing on the music which is so far being used as the mainscreen music. I don't remember exactly where it's from; I'll say it in the next update on the mod thread.

Kevin

The Settler map idea is pretty cool, but I wonder how it would effect a certain civ's chances of winning. The Maya map you've shown says that the Maya are only interested in settling a relatively small area. Does this mean that, if they have already settled all of their interested area, they will stop expanding, even if there is unclaimed land close by that they could use to their advantage? It wouldn't seem fair to essentially bar a Civ from having a chance at winning simply because they have no interest in settling land that they did not historically inhabit. Also, how is this going to effect Civ's who have areas of interest that overlap with other Civ's? Are the Americans and the Native American tribes constantly going to be at war with each other throughout the entire game? That doesn't seem fair to them either. Is Russia going to have a enormous area of interest, allowing them to grow incredibly large, while the Maya refuse to grow at all?

One possibility to solve that problem is to make another victory for each civ, like in RFC (which would be pretty cool:))
But don't worry, even "not very interesting" land will be settled once.

The map is getting better and better, keep going!

Wessel's statement is correct- you can win via whatever different victories (currently only conquest, and historic goals (quite large goals in my mod) which are under development).

And he is also right by saying that even "not interesting land" is sometimes settled.

Basically, non-interesting land (dark green) will be settled like in the unmodded vanilla, warlords and bts, except that the civ will be a bit distracted trying to settle lands that it is more interesting. If we remember the unmodded game, civs will randomly settle on non interesting land wherever it wants to go. Also, settler maps will be only minutely changed from RFC, so if you want to get a feel for it, you can always try RFC.

A last point would be that this only says that americans will be interested in native land, not that they'll always be in conflict. There WILL be a bit of border tension, but it is not guaranteed that they will act on it. In this respect it'll work much like the unmodded game.

Kevin

Quick question: will these settler maps be set at the start of play or can they adapt through the course of the game. Just thinking it would be nice if a countries interest in a location can increase if a rival settles nearby (scramble for Africa effect).

More Settler maps...

Babylonian Empire:

Carthaginian Empire:

Egyptian Empire

@ETM: They are set from the beginning (I can't possibly imagine a way to make them dynamic, and you'd might as well control the empire directly, rather than their interests). As for rushing when competeting arrives... if it's near to an already-established city of yours, then of course there'll be border tensions, but I am yet to think of a way to make a civ "rush and grab." Unfortunately there's nothing like that already in the AI, instead the civs think "oh well, I'll be more likely to go to war with him/her now, and when the time comes if I don't get all the land I want I'll invade whatever's there." And even though I doubt this would apply everywhere, I'm sure this is something that should be included, and if I can code/python it, I will. But I'll need to find stuff from the original AI in order to create it (do you/does anyone know anything similar to the "rush and grab" AI idea?).

@MrHoeivo: my current sources do not indicate copper in the region. Just cuz it's mined doesn't mean it has a large load of copper. But I'll research it and let you know if I find something porportionally supporting your debate. Remember, it needs to compete with the coppers seen on the north side of the Great Lakes.

Tell that to the residents of Copper Harbor, MI. :)
You are probably right though, I will try to do a little research to find out if the copper mines there are as big of a deal as I was always taught.

From wikipedia:
"The Upper Peninsula is very rich in mineral deposits including iron, copper, nickel and silver. Small amounts of gold have also been discovered and mined. In the 19th century, mining dominated the economy, and the U.P. became home to many isolated company towns. For many years, mines in the Keweenaw Peninsula were the world's largest producers of copper."

The worlds largest producers of copper :) Although the article did go on to say that the last copper mine in the region closed in 1995.

It is of course entirely possible that they only weren't a big copper player until after the mines closed in 1995, my sources are usually 2005. The copper has been included, unless anyone has any objections.

Viking Empire:

Note: I am going to have to modify the Viking and Carthaginian Empires... First of all neither have any areas of interest (yellows and light greens), for example Vikings should be interested in the middle east over to Baghdad, and Carthage should have a large interest in Rome and the surrounding area.

Kevin

Incan Empire:

Roman Empire:

And my favourite, the French Empire:

Tommorow I'll have the British Empire done.

I have also added several islands (Moluccas, Islands N/NE of Britain, Easter Island, Galapagos Is., Society Is., as well as a few others in the Pacific, and Franz Joseph land. Oh and I added the final caribbean island so that the Dutch? have an island to settle right below the French/English.

Kevin

Top Bottom