Add-On Content

gfeier

King
Even before we get our Mac version, the first add-in content is showing up on the official Civ V page:

"I am excited to announce that on October 25th you will all be able to get your hands on some new add-on content for Civilization V.

First up is the Babylonian Civilization Pack, which will allow you to play as Nebuchadnezzar II. You can now try your hand as King of Babylon for $4.99.

Also available will be the Mongols Civilization and Scenario Pack. This not only includes Genghis Khan as a fully playable new leader of the Mongols, but also a scenario in which you will be tasked with riding with Genghis Khan and his Mongol horsemen! This add-on pack costs exactly zero dollars. That's right, it's free to all customers of Civilization V!"

Are we going to be left behind right at the starting gate again?

Even before we get our Mac version, the first add-in content is showing up on the official Civ V page:

"I am excited to announce that on October 25th you will all be able to get your hands on some new add-on content for Civilization V.

First up is the Babylonian Civilization Pack, which will allow you to play as Nebuchadnezzar II. You can now try your hand as King of Babylon for $4.99.

Also available will be the Mongols Civilization and Scenario Pack. This not only includes Genghis Khan as a fully playable new leader of the Mongols, but also a scenario in which you will be tasked with riding with Genghis Khan and his Mongol horsemen! This add-on pack costs exactly zero dollars. That's right, it's free to all customers of Civilization V!"

Are we going to be left behind right at the starting gate again?

I'm thinking probably not. Since Civ V is locked into Steam and we know Aspyr's been working with them on previous Civ's, I think it's reasonable to assume that the DLC's will work with either version. The very fact that this Mac version is appearing so much sooner than past iterations indicates to me that it's been in the works alongside the PC version and is not some chop-shop after-the-fact version like Civ 4.

That's optimistic, I suppose, but we'll see soon enough. If not, well, we still have Bootcamp.

What I'm really wondering is how much is it going to cost me to buy the Mac version? Are they going to cut me a deal to SteamPlay for less than buying both versions separately? Obviously, it's not going to be included like the Steam version of Civ IV complete--I mean, Aspyr needs to make some money here, I get that. But I'd like some sort of discount for buying the game twice...

Or else I might just decide that playing on my BootCamp partition is good enough and not buy the Mac version. (That's for anyone from Steam, Firaxis, and/or Aspyr who might be reading this, btw...for the rest of you: Who am I kidding? I hate Windows and I'm itching to get rid of this stupid waste of hard drive.)

If you own the PC version of ciV then the MAC version will be free. Just like for every other steam game.

If you own the PC version of ciV then the MAC version will be free. Just like for every other steam game.

This is not guaranteed. We won't know for sure until it's released so I don't advise anyone rushes out and buys it expecting it to happen for sure.

I'm pretty certain that all the DLC available so far for PC Civ5 will be compatible and available for Mac Civ5 too. It's only if some future DLC contains a DLL or changes to the main executable that would cause compatibility issues. This won't be a problem for additional civilization DLCs though.

Overall things are looking much more positive for compatibility between the two platforms than it did with Civ4, though I wouldn't be surprised if patches for the Mac version are released a few weeks behind each time - potentially breaking multiplayer compatibility temporarily. It's still quite unlikely we will get complete mod compatibilty.

We do know for sure. It is true for every other game I play on steam.

We do know for sure. It is true for every other game I play on steam.

I have Windows Civ4/Warlords/BtS on DVDs. I have registered them with Steam as an experiment. I cannot download the Mac versions from Steam, I would have to buy them.

Top Bottom