Adding custom loading and diplomacy screens for a Civilization

I'm still not getting how to rid the screen of Cleopatra I'm afraid. I can do the DOM without Roosevelt. I even tried loading Gedemon's example, with no other mods loaded, but I'm still seeing Cleopatra in the diplo screen on that too.
I've tried replicating the Sikh Civilization (which DOES work for me), but there must be something I'm doing wrong. I know that Deliverator said to replicate what happened to Hardrada, but I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing there. I've tried simply copying the Sikh artdefs, changing the RANJIT parts to ATI and the SIKH parts to PUNT, but it's not working. How frustrating!!

I've gotten a fully functional civ going, the only thing i need to do is the art, but i'm having similiar issues to Rob. I can't get ANY of the art to work even when i'm doing the same as other mods like Suk's Hadrian or the Sikh Empire.

I know that my method will become obsolete the moment someone put a tutorial on how to use the assets tools, but can you tell me if this mod is working for you:
https://github.com/Gedemon/Civ6-BasicModernCivilizations

(only screens for Canada, Vietnam, Iceland, Brazil, Australia, France, Japan, USA or Russia, but Cleopatra should never be shown)

I'll ask people to test it and try to find what may cause an incompatibility, she doesn't appear for me.

After testing this is what I've found:
- Your mod doesn't show Cleopatra if animated leaders are disabled, but she's there if they're set to low, medium or high.
- My mod shows Cleopatra regardless of the animated leaders setting.
- The Sikh mod doesn't show Cleopatra even if animated leaders are set to high.

I'd advise peeking at Suk's Hadrian leader too, i've been focusing on that to get my leaderscreen to work since he's got it on point.

Thank you, I hadn't though of the graphic settings, I'll have a look.

I also copied the Fallback method that the Sikh Civ used. However I also corrected the XML errors in it as well. It was working before the SDK release but now isn't. So it's something that has been changed in the last release to 'fix' the method we have been using :mad:.

I've got my Files list at the top of the modinfo just under the Properties section and it doesn't work for me.

Mine is definitely working after the last update - and so is the Sikh civilization.

EDIT: Actually, it's not really working properly I've found. I can't see Cleopatra - but when I meet rival civilizations, I can only see their background too and not their leader.

I'm not really that great with lua; but would it be a case of adding to the lua file that Gedemon posted a like saying something meaning that if the active civ was the Punt, then take the action to remove the 3d model?

Maybe, but you'll have to get the ID of the civ in the diplo screen, which I'm not sure is possible in a simple way.

I've updated OP with the code I will use to handle graphics settings on the fly (it was thought for a total conversion in which no civs have leaderheads), in your case it would look like that: (untested)

Code:
local initialLeaderHeadSetting = Options.GetGraphicsOption("Leaders", "Quality")

function HideLeaderHead()
    if [need a way to detect if it's your civilization diploscreen here] then
        ContextPtr:LookUpControl("/InGame/DiplomacyActionView/LeaderAnchor"):SetHide(true)
        Options.SetGraphicsOption("Leaders", "Quality", 0)
        Options.ApplyGraphicsOptions()
    else
        Options.SetGraphicsOption("Leaders", "Quality", initialLeaderHeadSetting)
        Options.ApplyGraphicsOptions()
    end

end

function OnEnterGame()
    ContextPtr:LookUpControl("/InGame/DiplomacyActionView/LeaderAnchor"):RegisterWhenShown(HideLeaderHead)
end
Events.LoadScreenClose.Add(OnEnterGame)

function OnExitGame()
    Options.SetGraphicsOption("Leaders", "Quality", initialLeaderHeadSetting)
end
Events.LeaveGameComplete.Add(OnExitGame)

IMO it would be easier to wait just a bit for a tutorial on the asset editor or take example on the template civilization mod released by Firaxis.

People talking about waiting on a tutorial should realise it's up to us to learn how to do this so we can make the tutorials. If we're interested in making mods for Civ6 this early, we need to realise we need to be the ones to learn and share.

Ok, have cracked this... I will try & explain how to do it without pictures... seeming I cant put pics on here.

Three examples: All images visible in Civ set up screen.
Rome http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=871179034 This simply adds a loading & diplomatic screen to an existing civ & leader.
Der Fuhrer http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=872230530 This adds Loading Screen, loading screen leader, Selection screen portrait, diplomatic screen background & Diplomatic screen leader. This also adds leader icons & religion icons.
Deutschland http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=871196418 Third example to follow, same as above, but with new nation added.

Download the mod that suits your need & open the files so you have an example.

******This really is not for newbies.*****

Create a new leader example from the Fraxis templates.

Import the .artdef .xlp files you need via modbuddy, (*don't paste them into the directories via explorer)
Replace my information with your own structure. Take careful note to drop off. dds appendages that you used before, as we will create .blp files that just access the names.

Now with that work done, open AssetEditor from Tools. *(If this is your first time using AssEd, do a restart before, then enter & do it, you need your mod loaded into ModBuddy to make it work. It may take 10 mins! Be patient... don't touch anything else... it is very memory hungry)

With AssEd open, open the .artdef or .xlp you want to add images to, using the relevant yellow folder icon up the top right.

You then use the icon that looks like a txt doc (Creates New Documents), this opens up a lot of options, choose textures. This creates a .tex file.

Then, next to name you put the name you want to call it, I use exactly the same as the image or icon name without .dds etc.
Next field down is class name. this related to what kind of thing it is, leader (Leader_Fallback), or icon & loading/dip screens (which is UserInterface) This class should be the same as in the .xlp or .artdef file.
This will automatically populate tags for you.
*(Don't forget you also need to ensure you add the class to the .dep file manually.)

Then finally you head down to source, & you navigate to the image you want to include in the .blp. The button is on the far right to navigate.
Go to the folder location you have your images & icons in & select the one you wish to import... & import it.

Depending on the class, there are more options down below.
FallbackLeader has nothing you need to change.

Icons, if they are a one off, select the Stand Alone
Icon that are part of atlas per the icons.xml need nothing selected there.
Your loading screens should have both scalable & standalone selected. I am using scalable, but have tested it in different resolutions yet.. so if my mods are not displaying right for you, don't use that & let me know.

Then save the file, & it creates a .tex file & imports the image for you into your textures folder.

****VERY IMPORTANT**** Don't put things in to the textures folder manually. Don't change things in there. If you need to change an image, delete both the .tex & .dds via explorer with mod buddy closed, then reimport as above.

These files .dds & .tex should not be linked in your .modinf when you are all done & have built it... otherwise you are loading them twice.

You need to do this manual process for all image & icon files as best as I can tell.

Once you have finished, "Build" the mod via ModBuddy & use the .blp files as you need.

Hope this helps! Let the great mods roll!

Last edited:
People talking about waiting on a tutorial should realise it's up to us to learn how to do this so we can make the tutorials. If we're interested in making mods for Civ6 this early, we need to realise we need to be the ones to learn and share.
When I wrote "wait for another tutorial", I would have never thought someone would understand it the way you did, it's not like I've learned and shared nothing since civ6 is out

It's just that I know that the current one I've written is not the best solution now that the official tools are out, and waiting for another one (written by me or whoever manage to use the tools first) is better than using my solution (if you can't manage to do it yourself)

Top Bottom