Adding new thing, using same ingame art like sth that already exists

Serp

King
How can I e.g add a new improvement and simply give it the same art like an already existing improvement?
I hoped there would be one simple xml entry, like it works for the icon, but I fear it is not.

I already figured out that it works to edit the improvements.artdef and simply copy paste the one I would like to copy and type my new improvement name in it.
But how does it work without editing game files?

You are editing core game files? If so its solved with a mod see here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-6-modding-tools-basics.634429/#post-15173204
thank you very much, the post below your linked one is about artdef.
Ok, so I can not use "Replace" tag or stuff I normally use in xml files to make the artdef change. Instead I have to copy the whole relevant part, put into my new thing at the bottom, and make a new artdef with this, including the version part and template+collection name. okay, i will try.

But it seems I also need a .dep file. I can see in other mods how this should look like. But how to find out what to enter where ?!
Eg. I want my new improvement to have the art of the australian outback-station. I can make the artdef file without problems now.
But how to find out all the stuff requested in the .dep file?!
Ok I found out the game also uses .dep files and I found the outback station in the DLC3.dep. Now I can copy paste this dep file and remove everything that is not related to outback station (which seems to be hard to find out...)...

Wow... such a big hassle just to give sth exactly the same art like sth that already exists?! This is ridiculous... is there really no one-line thing to simply say the game "just use artdef and dep from the game, it is already there!" ???

The Dep file only contains info relative to what you are customizing, meaning, for example, if you build a new improvement put improvements.artdef in right places of dep file => Just look at dep file of my portugal mod, I also add new improvements, and you see right away the right places to put it. Don´t forget that you have to alter the ID of dep file to match your modinfo file ID (you also need a modinfo file).

The Dep file only contains info relative to what you are customizing, meaning, for example, if you build a new improvement put improvements.artdef in right places of dep file => Just look at dep file of my portugal mod, I also add new improvements, and you see right away the right places to put it. Don´t forget that you have to alter the ID of dep file to match your modinfo file ID (you also need a modinfo file).
Ok, so I downloaded your portugal mod and I now hav your .dep file. But how should I know what from this I need for my artdef file? You called your artdef files in your mod all the same like the game artdefs are called. So I see no way to find out what "Improvements.artdef" in your dep file I should replace with my "MyImprovements.artdef" (simply all of them? Or are some entries reffering to game files?). And also what about all the other things, like districts.artdef and so on. I think I should delete those, since my mod has no disctrict. But how to know if this is reffering to your mod files or to any game files?

yes delete districts.artdef (and others) from dep file, you only need improvements.artdef. I dont know if has to have same name for compatibility issues, but no harm to do it equal, and also use same folder artdefs.

The file knows to reference your files because you must use same ID in modinfo file. Open my modinfo, theres an ID at start of the file, that is equal do my dep file, when you open same ID there.

The file knows to reference your files because you must use same ID in modinfo file. Open my modinfo, theres an ID at start of the file, that is equal do my dep file, when you open same ID there.
AFAIK, the .dep ID can be different from the .modinfo ID (your .dep file is referenced in the <Files> section of your .modinfo file), what's important is to refer to the correct ID type when you want to set dependency (other mod ID in the <Dependencies> section of .modinfo files, Arts IDs in the <RequiredGameArtIDs> section of .dep files)

Top Bottom