Additional Luxuries

AnorakTel

Chieftain
I added three new Luxury resources to a scenario and had one little problem.

The resources appeared correctly on the map; they modified the terrain stats; they affect the happiness; and they appear correctly in the Trade screen.

The only problem is the luxury list in the City Screen. They appear there but without the icon.

I've found the file ...\Art\city screen\luxuryicons_small.pcx
I thought I edited correctly

In the luxury list on the City screen I have:
(2) <grape picture> <happy>
(2) <elephant picture> <happy>
(1) . . . . . . . . . . . . <happy><happy>

I also created a new strategic resource - hops
This allows construction of Breweries with Philosophy.
Breweries without pubs are useless and pubs without
philosophical discussions ... :nono:

Hops appears perfectly but of course it doesn't need luxuryicons_small.pcx

Can someone help?
Apologies if this is already on the board but I couldn't find it.

Moderator Action: Moved to appropriate forum.

I'm not 100% sure what your problem is. I play with 64 resources...22 Str / 10 Luxuries. The luxuryicons_small.pcx reads differently, it reads row by row, not as it is listed in the editor. I'm in a rush now so will get back later to this problem.

Have you read this > http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=391951

PS_ are you really from "Waikkikamukau"? ,, no one believes me that this place exits :twitch:.

[ I assume you have less than 32 resources] Are the resources listed on your current games 'City Screen' in the same order as on the matching luxuryIcon_small ? - I think you will find they need to be.

I read thread t=391951. It seemed to relate to a different problem. My resources don't disappear and they aren't elusive.

I have 30 resources
Horses, Iron Saltpeter, Coal, Oil, Rubber, Aluminium, Uranium,
Wines, Furs, Dyes, Incense, Spices, Ivory, Silks, Gems,
Whales, Game, Fish, Cattle, Wheat, Gold, Sugar, Tropical Fruit
Oasis, Tobacco, Kiwiana, Kauri, Paua & Hops

This is my luxuryicons_small

Originally I added the 3 new luxuries (Kiwiana, Kauri, Paua) at the end. When that didn't work, I extended Luxuryicons so that they could go in the 27,28,29 slots as well.

This is the City screen

It shows hops at top left. If you know the order you can see that it has 1 Kiwiana and 1 Kauri but the icons are missing.

In the map part of the city screen, hops are partially hidden by 7 of the city title, kiwiana is just above the city and kauri is just above Canterbury.

As for Waikkikamukau - it is an iconic NZ settlement that seems to have been ignored by cartographers. :goodjob:

I read thread t=391951. It seemed to relate to a different problem. My resources don't disappear and they aren't elusive.

I thought it might help as there is part of it on the order of the lists. Hope you got something of use from it.

I see your order of luxuries from the list you wrote ["... Kiwiana, Kauri, Paua..."] is different to the order shown on the luxuryIcon_small ['Kauri, Kiwiana, Pawa'.] - (upon a 2nd glance you have doubled your luxuryIcon_small --- don't think that will help. - go back to listing once me thinks)

Q:# Is the order the resources are shown on your luxuryIcon_small, in the same order as in the Editor ??? - and numbered correctly ?

(I am assuming pics are indexed)

There must be 1000's of Waikkikamukau settlements in NZ -
There is even a book about 100 strange or interesting place names called 'Waikkikamukau'. I would Definitely would add Waikkikamukau in a list of cities for a NZ civ.

I assume you just added the luxuries at the end of this list in the editor (by using add button.)
What I think you need to do is, in the editor, have them in this order.
Wines, Furs, Dyes, Incense, Spices, Ivory, Silks, Gems, Kiwiana, Kauri, Paua & Hops
(The same order as your lux icons file.)(Also the same order as your regular resources pcx.)
And then add your bonus resources after all the luxuries have been added. That means you'll need to do some renaming and moving around.

I think I went like this in the editor:
8 Strats
All Lux
Remaining Strats
All Bonus
(Total Strats/Lux for me: 30)

Also, I don't see the point of duplicating the resources on the lux icons file. I think you can delete the duplicates.

Thanks. I will try shuffling stuff around. Getting the order wrong was a mistake. But if the icons had appeared then it would have been obvious.

The idea of duplicating was to put the icons in the right place.
Originally I simply extended the lux icon file added the extra icons immediately after the standard ones.
When that didn't work I extended the file so that the new luxuries could go in the right place

Originally I had
Fruit, Fur, Dye, Incense, Spice, Ivory, Silk, Gems, Kauri, Kiwiana, Paua

Then reflecting that Fruit is #8, Fur #9, ... Gems #15 and the new luxuries are #27, #28. #29 I extended it to (correcting the order)

Fruit, Fur, Dye, Incense, Spice, Ivory, Silk, Gems, , , , , , , , , , , , Kiwiana, Kauri, Paua

The easiest way to extend was simply copy/paste. That maintains the correct spacing. That the space slots contained some icons didn't matter.

In addition to Waikkikamukau, there are other Kiwi towns that have eluded the cartographer, such as, the twin towns of Wattahekkia and Wettahekkia. There is another Watta town that uses the Maori word 'whakka' meaning place of. ('Wh' is pronounced 'F' )

Top Bottom