[BTS] Adjusting Barbarian Tech Gain Rate

Miuna

Chieftain
Hi sorry if this is the wrong place to post this,

I have designed a mod for games me and my brother play, part of my newest touch is to alter the tech gain speed by x4 (everything else playing normal game speed), long story short, we enjoy the era from using Warriors to Macemen and find the games are usually boring later (removed tanks ect from the game).

The issue is, barbarians always get Spearmen before anyone can combat them, if a Human or Ai went right for bronze working, with the x4 speed on techs (and already modified tech point requirements) it will take them around 150-200 turns to get there, barbarians usually appear with spearmen around 130-150, which is fine if you start with the right techs (mining in this case) and have copper for Axemen (otherwise your going for Ironworking too).

My hope is to set it so barbarians develop slower (like they normally would on x1 speed), but i am struggling to get this to work. I have modified barbs in the Global Defines, tried changing their difficulty to immortal and settler (i wasn't sure how AI take the difficulty move) but neither seems to work. By 150 they always have spearmen where it's likely few of the world can combat this.

Is there a way to change the rate they gain tech? If i could push barbs back to getting them 100 turns later it would help, or just knowing they are developing as they usually would. Any tips are welcome on what needs changing. As said i tried moving their difficulty but to no avail with luck at halted tech gain rates.

Barbarians only need Hunting and Mining in order to receive Spearmen. It's arguably an oversight (in
CvGame::createBarbarianUnits in the DLL). The TechCityTrade in Civ4BonusInfos.xml is checked, but not the TechReveal. So making the Bronze Working requirement more explicit in XML should help. Either in Civ4UnitInfos.xml or Civ4BonusInfos.xml. Edit: With the latter approach, i.e. if the TechCityTrade of Bronze is changed, it'll probably also have to be changed for Iron because that's an alternative resource requirement of Spearman.

Last edited:
Barbarians only need Hunting and Mining in order to receive Spearmen. It's arguably an oversight (in
CvGame::createBarbarianUnits in the DLL). The TechCityTrade in Civ4BonusInfos.xml is checked, but not the TechReveal. So making the Bronze Working requirement more explicit in XML should help. Either in Civ4UnitInfos.xml or Civ4BonusInfos.xml. Edit: With the latter approach, i.e. if the TechCityTrade of Bronze is changed, it'll probably also have to be changed for Iron because that's an alternative resource requirement of Spearman.
sorry for the late reply,
Thanks for this, i will have a look into it now, It seems simple enough of a change and should hopefully break the inbalance Barbarians had over players.

Top Bottom