AFL season 2013

Pieman

Prince
Might as well kick things off on the forums. Interesting start to the season, with the Suns upsetting the Saints and Bulldogs thrashing the Lions. Any flag/wooden spoon predictions?

Sydney back to our typical shakey early season selves. Reckon we'll drop a couple of games unexpectedly before we hit our straps. Dreadful shame about Alex Johnson, he's looked like a ten-year player for us.

Port were always going to improve markedly this year but I didn't think Melbourne would be so abject. Still, great signs for Port.

Prior the start of the season, I thought GWS would be a lock for the spoon. After Melbourne's "performance" however, I'm not so sure...

By genuinely trying and producing results like this, they're proving they didn't tank a few years ago.

They got Jack Watts with that pick, didn't they? Banner for next week should read 'My old coach tanked for half a season and all I got was this dud defender.'

WESTHOFF is BESTHOFF

*sigh* guess the Swans still haven't quite shaken the rust off yet... good for a half, but nowhere near after that. Oh well, at least I'm not a Demons supporter.

Chalk it up as one of our patented early season shockers. More than most teams we live and die on intensity and effort and we always seem to go missing in a couple of games in April or May.

I'm going to the ANZAC Day match in Wellington. Hopefully we come out breathing fire after a shocker like that.

Also Westhoff continues to be Besthoff.

The Lions 2009 season has to be the epitome of a false dawn. 1 good year, followed by 4 terrible years. They really knew how to mismanage a list.

^Good guess.

In other news, I'm mildly surprised Riewoldt's still got it. I know he's good, but I thought (like J.Brown) his best was well behind him.

It's such sad irony that Adam Goodes got racially abused on Indigenous Round, and 20 years after Nicky Winmar's stand against racist abuse by opposition fans. That said, Adam conducted himself wonderfully, and is a true champion. Good on him.

North Melbourne lost by under a goal AGAIN. They don't seem to know what defence actually is.

When Port beat Sydney last week, I put it down as a fluke. Having seen them dominate Collingwood, I've been forced to eat my words. That's four of last year's finalists they've beaten now.

Meanwhile, although I hope they get smashed next week (as they play the Swans) it was good to see the Dees finally pinch something. Even if they almost ended up choking in the process.

Port are playing tough, ballsy, slick footy. They fight to keep the ball alive at all costs, punching and tapping and handpassing instead of conceding ballups and backing their run and fitness and flair to prevail. When it works it's great to watch.

They're still very young but they have the midfield and forward stocks to build something special in the next few years. Just need the numerous rookie defenders to develop together.

Top Bottom