Africa During the Cold War

Well ... you could make them autoproduced from preplaced improvs or smthing. But that might go against the gamestyle that you had in mind for this.

Intresting mod btw. :)

There are only two options I can really see before me to counter this problem:
1. Short and sweet, make Mercenaries cost population. This will increase their short-term cost, and maybe make you think a little before building them. However, I also think it's pretty unrealistic, as mercenaries are supposed to be foreign!
2. Take unit support costs away from regular infantry. This I did not want, and will require a bit of balancing with the government support. Also, it would make Mercenaries almost un-needed, as this was the "real" reason you'd build them!

I could offset 2 by making all other units apart from Mercenaries, Paramilitary, Militia, and a couple of other unit types, require population. However, I'm not so sure how this will work with the whole game structure...

What about offsetting 2 by making the mercenaries much less expensive/slightly increasing regular infantry costs? You could represent the mercenary pay checks by setting it so the mercenaries would require support.

Agreed on the interesting mod, its looking promising! :)

-Mortars have a high RoF, but low accuracy, movement and range. This makes them perfect for taking out the weaker, but HP-heavy infantry units, but they probably wouldn't dent the mechanized units.

I'm a little rusty on how artillery stats work in-game. Is high "accuracy" needed to effectively bombard stronger units?

If a unit costs Pop points, the AI will build them and reduce its own cities to dust. This might be the perfect use for auto-production: after all, mercenaries have to be recruited, so a "Mercenary Recruiting Center" might very well be in order.

@againsttheflow: the AI does not take cost into consideration when building units.

Best,

Oz

@againsttheflow: the AI does not take cost into consideration when building units.

That is interesting but the way I understood it the problem was with the human tending to exploit the unit support problem.

Basically, due to their lack of unit support needed, I'm finding that when I get to build mercenaries, I tend to completely stop producing the support-needing regular infantry. This is not how I intended the game to play - in fact, I would have preferred to have had Infantry be the main type of units built, with everything else built in relative moderation.

I think I'll test with 2) and the population, and if that doesn't work out, then I'll definitely go with unit-spawning wonders!

Maiden666 said:
Looks awesome!!!!

I know this is ridiculous and totally not serious... but you should add Djibouti!
I would, but that pesky 31 civ limit kinda gets in the way! Djibouti is represented on the map, though, as a NATO-held city.

I think I'll test with 2) and the population, and if that doesn't work out, then I'll definitely go with unit-spawning wonders!

I would, but that pesky 31 civ limit kinda gets in the way! Djibouti is represented on the map, though, as a NATO-held city.

Why God... why!!! :lol: I agree, it does fit in as a NATO nation, seeing as America has interests on it's strategic location for oil shipment from the Red Sea. :goodjob:

This scenario looks amazing! Exactly what I have always wanted to play on Civ!

How is the project going?

Is there a playable version?

What map did you use for the continent?

Thanks.

1) This project is going very slowly, ATM

2) There's currently no playable version

3) A cropped and modified version of TETurkhan's conquest map

:bump:

OK, I'm going to try to start this up again.

What I think I'm going to do, is try to straiten things up a bit, and get an alpha released consisting of the first era, just to see how other people find playing it. It's fun enough as it is with just this era, and it'll be a long time until the scenario's anywhere near finished.

Another thing I've been thinking of doing, with the eras, is changing it so that instead of a 100% progression through the eras, I in fact split it into eras based on certain aspects (a la my Industrial Espionage scenario). This could be 1# Government 2# Infrastructure and 3#+4# Military, with Era 3 being required for Era 4. I like the way this works in IE, and think it could benefit this scenario. (And besides which, although I know what era 1 currently revolves around and what era 2 will revolve around, but I've come up with a bit of a headache on how to make the 70s and 80s different).

However, I won't do this until after I get something playable out.

So, thoughts?

(And besides which, although I know what era 1 currently revolves around and what era 2 will revolve around, but I've come up with a bit of a headache on how to make the 70s and 80s different).

However, I won't do this until after I get something playable out.

So, thoughts?

IMHO, you need the Colonial Powers (especially Portugal, Belgium, and France - '50s onward, yes?) and CUBANS. Mercenaries and UN troops should be attached to specific Civs, and brought in and leave play through Techs.

Ideas: VP locations = oil fields (e.g., Cabinda).

'70s and '80s can be differentiated by diminishing Cuban and Soviet aid, as well as the overthrow of Rhodesia and de facto cutting off of aid to South Africa.

Government type: Kleptocracy (Nigeria).

Just some random thoughts :)

Best,

Oz

IMHO, you need the Colonial Powers (especially Portugal, Belgium, and France - '50s onward, yes?) and CUBANS. Mercenaries and UN troops should be attached to specific Civs, and brought in and leave play through Techs.
The colonial powers are represented through units pre-placed in cities (and in Katanga, just outside of cities under rebel control, too!). They are also represented through the "Colonial State" government which most civs start under.

Cuba is going to be represented through improvements and wonders only available to the Communist civs. Also, the Communist Rebels faction has an offshore city called "Cuban Stronghold", where in later versions they'll be able to get even more troops and supplies.

Ideas: VP locations = oil fields (e.g., Cabinda).
I've got many victory locations dotted around the map, intended to stir up trouble over prized regions :devil:

'70s and '80s can be differentiated by diminishing Cuban and Soviet aid, as well as the overthrow of Rhodesia and de facto cutting off of aid to South Africa.
I could, but it doesn't sound too enticing for the player to research! Get too advanced, and your aid gets cut! I'll have to think about it.

Government type: Kleptocracy (Nigeria).
Yeah, Kleptocracy is going to be a government in era 2, available to most Autocratic Western-aligned powers.

It's just a shame you don't get some kind of bonus for having more gold in your treasury...

Thanks.

Top Bottom