African missionaries

Polycrates

Emperor
EDIT: these missionaries are now a part of my african noncombatant set with a bunch of great people and spies and stuff as well. You should probably download that instead :p

For your heathen-converting pleasure, a set of alternate missionaries out of darkest Africa. A couple are more just "alternate" versions that happen to have African heads, while a couple of others are more specifically African. Figuring out how to make an African version of missionaries for religions not normally associated with Africa is not a particularly straightforward task, so if you have any suggestions, or just want to tell me they're crap, please go right ahead!

The Christian one is kinda based on Desmond Tutu, with just a recoloured head (I was going to change the head but decided I like it as is)
The Confucian is based on, of all things, Futurama's Kwanzaabot :D
It's hard to see in the screenie, but the jewish one has a yarmulke and shawl

SCREENIE:
Spoiler :

DOWNLOAD

Alternate version with just the skin changed here

They look pretty cool. Nice.

Can you start putting your new work in the updates thread in my sig so I can remember to add them to the Civ4 new stuff Update? Thanks

I like the Islamic one also and the Hindu's paint is great :) :) but with the Buddhist one I would change his robes back to yellow/orange as they are the traditional colour for Buddhists.
As I said in your other thread feel free to request reboning so you can make more unique-looking units (or you can learn from the tutorial, the first time for me I failed then I tried it a few weeks later, following the steps carefully and succeeded ) :)

with the Buddhist one I would change his robes back to yellow/orange as they are the traditional colour for Buddhists.

I'm certainly no religious scholar, but I picked the crimson colour because I know that at least in Tibetan buddhism, a lot of the monks wear red robes. I think red is followers of the dalai lama, and yellow is followers of the panchen lama. Of course Africa isn't Tibet, but I figured the red made a good excuse for variant clothing that's still reasonably recognisably buddhist. If you prefer the yellow though, I've still got it in this set.

As I said in your other thread feel free to request reboning so you can make more unique-looking units (or you can learn from the tutorial, the first time for me I failed then I tried it a few weeks later, following the steps carefully and succeeded ) :)
Heh, thats a very dangerous offer! I think I could probably do with a bit of a break from the unitmaking though...maybe even play through a full game with my new zulu dudes :D Thanks though, I'll certainly keep it in mind! But yeah I tried for ages to get an oromo riding a horse and managed to crash my game or nifviewer or stuff up blender every time then gave up in frustration and figured that just wasnt my thing. Making a head with an afro in blender is the height of my modelling achievement :D

I'm certainly no religious scholar, but I picked the crimson colour because I know that at least in Tibetan buddhism, a lot of the monks wear red robes. I think red is followers of the dalai lama, and yellow is followers of the panchen lama. Of course Africa isn't Tibet, but I figured the red made a good excuse for variant clothing that's still reasonably recognisably buddhist. If you prefer the yellow though, I've still got it in this set.

Well I'm not buddhist either :D so I was just going on what I thought which isn't that accurate sometimes. Oh well, I still prefer yellow, I'll use the other one :)

Heh, thats a very dangerous offer! I think I could probably do with a bit of a break from the unitmaking though...maybe even play through a full game with my new zulu dudes :D Thanks though, I'll certainly keep it in mind! But yeah I tried for ages to get an oromo riding a horse and managed to crash my game or nifviewer or stuff up blender every time then gave up in frustration and figured that just wasnt my thing. Making a head with an afro in blender is the height of my modelling achievement :D

I think danrell already has an oromo on a horse in one of his sets (maybe the ottoman one). Also I haven't had a proper game of BTS yet because I was too disappointed in the ethnic units that came with it, so I'm waiting until I finish my own personal mod before I really play.

Could you post the xml you used from ArtDefines_Unit.xml
I've done something wrong and the units appear completely blue

Could you post the xml you used from ArtDefines_Unit.xml
I've done something wrong and the units appear completely blue

Here's the XML:

Spoiler :

<UnitArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_JEWISH_MISSIONARY_JT_ZULU</Type>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Missionary_Jewish.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,6,3</Button>
<fScale>0.46</fScale>
<fInterfaceScale>1.0</fInterfaceScale>
<bActAsLand>0</bActAsLand>
<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
<NIF>Modules/varietas delectat/Art/Units/Africa/Missionary/Jewish/JewishMissionary.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/Missionary/Jewish/JewishMissionary.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>Modules/varietas delectat/Art/Units/Africa/Missionary/Jewish/JewishMissionary_FX.nif</SHADERNIF>
<ShadowDef>
<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/UnitShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
<fShadowScale>1.0</fShadowScale>
</ShadowDef>
<fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>
<fRangedDeathTime>0.31</fRangedDeathTime>
<bActAsRanged>0</bActAsRanged>
<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
<AudioRunSounds>
<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
</AudioRunSounds>
</UnitArtInfo>
<UnitArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_CHRISTIAN_MISSIONARY_JT_ZULU</Type>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Missionary_Christian.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,2,3</Button>
<fScale>0.44</fScale>
<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
<NIF>Modules/varietas delectat/Art/Units/Africa/Missionary/Christian/ChristianMissionary.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/Missionary/Christian/ChristianMissionary.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>Modules/varietas delectat/Art/Units/Africa/Missionary/Christian/ChristianMissionary_FX.nif</SHADERNIF>
<ShadowDef>
</ShadowDef>
<AudioRunSounds>
<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
</AudioRunSounds>
</UnitArtInfo>
<UnitArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_ISLAMIC_MISSIONARY_JT_ZULU</Type>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Missionary_Islamic.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,5,3</Button>
<fScale>0.46</fScale>
<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
<NIF>Modules/varietas delectat/Art/Units/Africa/Missionary/Islamic/Islamic_missionary.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/Missionary/Islamic/Islamic_missionary.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>Modules/varietas delectat/Art/Units/Africa/Missionary/Islamic/Islamic_missionary_FX.nif</SHADERNIF>
<ShadowDef>
<fShadowScale>0.85</fShadowScale>
</ShadowDef>
<AudioRunSounds>
<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
</AudioRunSounds>
</UnitArtInfo>
<UnitArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_HINDU_MISSIONARY_JT_ZULU</Type>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Missionary_Hindu.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,4,3</Button>
<fScale>0.46</fScale>
<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
<NIF>Modules/varietas delectat/Art/Units/Africa/Missionary/Hindu/Hindu_Missionary.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/Missionary/Hindu/Hindu_Missionary.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>Modules/varietas delectat/Art/Units/Africa/Missionary/Hindu/Hindu_Missionary_FX.nif</SHADERNIF>
<ShadowDef>
<fShadowScale>0.8</fShadowScale>
</ShadowDef>
<AudioRunSounds>
<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
</AudioRunSounds>
</UnitArtInfo>
<UnitArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_BUDDHIST_MISSIONARY_JT_ZULU</Type>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Missionary_Buddhist.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,1,3</Button>
<fScale>0.46</fScale>
<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
<NIF>Modules/varietas delectat/Art/Units/Africa/Missionary/Buddhist/Buddhist_missionary.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/Missionary/Buddhist/Buddhist_missionary.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>Modules/varietas delectat/Art/Units/Africa/Missionary/Buddhist/Buddhist_missionary_FX.nif</SHADERNIF>
<ShadowDef>
</ShadowDef>
<AudioRunSounds>
<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
</AudioRunSounds>
</UnitArtInfo>
<UnitArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_CONFUCIAN_MISSIONARY_JT_ZULU</Type>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Missionary_Confucian.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,3,3</Button>
<fScale>0.46</fScale>
<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
<NIF>Modules/varietas delectat/Art/Units/Africa/Missionary/Confucian/Confucian_missionary.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/Missionary/Confucian/Confucian_missionary.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>Modules/varietas delectat/Art/Units/Africa/Missionary/Confucian/Confucian_Missionary_FX.nif</SHADERNIF>
<ShadowDef>
</ShadowDef>
<AudioRunSounds>
<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
</AudioRunSounds>
</UnitArtInfo>
<UnitArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_TAOIST_MISSIONARY_JT_ZULU</Type>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Missionary_Taoist.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,7,3</Button>
<fScale>0.46</fScale>
<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
<NIF>Modules/varietas delectat/Art/Units/Africa/Missionary/Taoist/TaoistMissionary.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/Missionary/Taoist/TaoistMissionary.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>Modules/varietas delectat/Art/Units/Africa/Missionary/Taoist/TaoistMissionary_FX.nif</SHADERNIF>
<ShadowDef>
</ShadowDef>
<AudioRunSounds>
<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
</AudioRunSounds>
</UnitArtInfo>

Obviously you need to have the unit art files in the directories specified in the XML. To be honest, I suck at XML and I just use Varietas Delectat (you can find it in the graphics modpacks forum) which is a fantastic mod that includes huge numbers of unique unit graphics (including these guys and most of the other african noncombatants). Actually, the XML I posted above is just pulled straight out of that mod anyway.

Top Bottom