After the patch is before the patch: What needs to be fixed next

I imagine the next thing they'll start work on is multiplayer. A war should not come down to who has the fastest computer and can click the soonest!

Yes!

1. Remove or allow the removal of simultaneous turns.
2. Allow animations in MP.
3. Combat log.
4. Replays.

Personally, I think the single player is a lost cause and MP is basically unplayable. The more I play this game, the more I just want to go back to playing board games from 20 years ago.

There are many good things in Civ5, but it definitely wasn't ready for release. It's the type of game you want to love and it just kills you to play and makes you never want to buy another game from Firaxis again, which is really unfortunate. I'm hoping it was a publisher and release window issue and Firaxis didn't release the game early on their own.

one minor tweak I'd like fixed:

- changing the way cities expand their hexes ... I don't like that it picks ALL the riverside hexes before a luxury resource etc..

AND -- something i've been wishing for too about city tiles;

61_91 hexes territory editable in both its range & actual default shape. Nothing i hate more than staring at juicy Uranium, Aluminium, Coal, Oil & Iron barely ONE single tile away from my nearest (as in..fully developped or just about to be) city.
I'd pay 500+ gold for such a tile even if it meant losing another inside the 61 hexes.

As long as some coastal areas seem quite useless, we might as well get optimal prime land nearby.

one minor tweak I'd like fixed:

- changing the way cities expand their hexes ... I don't like that it picks ALL the riverside hexes before a luxury resource etc..

or even better the city governor could prioritize hex acquisition based upon your flavor: go for production tiles with a production focus, food tiles with food focus, etc. in my experience the city puts a very high priority on grassland tiles, which are generally the least useful, but tends to ignore or delay hill/forest acquisition until there is literally nothing else available. very annoying/expensive on immortal, can be the difference btwn life and death on deity (especially post-patch).

either decrease build cost for buildings or increase yields from production tiles or both.
continue to revamp the tech tree. I can have mech infantry without infantry (or riflemen I think). WTH?
improve some of the weaker buildings (water mill, granary, etc).

or even better the city governor could prioritize hex acquisition based upon your flavor: go for production tiles with a production focus, food tiles with food focus, etc. in my experience the city puts a very high priority on grassland tiles, which are generally the least useful, but tends to ignore or delay hill/forest acquisition until there is literally nothing else available. very annoying/expensive on immortal, can be the difference btwn life and death on deity (especially post-patch).

I still think it was a bad idea to take that away from our hands. This is Civ! I want control!

1)Game optimization.
2)Put Civilopedia into the main menu and make it useful!!!(Like in Civ4)
3)Hotseat,end-game replays and full statistics.
4)Balance(More production from mines,less gold to maintain some buildings,etc...)
I think that some buildings don't need any maintenance cost.The ones that req. resources to build:factory,spaceship factory,hydro plant,nuclear plant.
5)Remove those annoying info banners from the main menu!

My wish list to fix Civ5 and make it a worthy successor to Civ4:

-Fix AI combat so that it can actually be threatening. Even on the hardest difficulty it is a joke, worse then 1990's era strategy games.
-Fix AI diplomacy, it is completely schizophrenic and erratic now. This makes having any sort of alliance pointless.
-Balance tile improvements so land has some meaning, right now city placement is entirely arbitrary.
-Get rid of trade posts. Replace with towns.
-Add additional tile improvements so there is more than one option (e.g. production, food, or money. Right now there is zero choice - money only).
-Balance city buildings so they aren't so useless. Get rid of maintenance. Make multipliers cumulative so that there is a meaningful choice in what line of buildings to get (e.g. production, science, happiness, culture).
-Decrease production costs of everything so you can actually build and use swordsman before you have the technology to build riflemen.
-Increase benefits of rare resources so they aren't meaningless. Map generation should create more strategic resources, but with less per pile.
-City culture should expand about 20 to 50 times faster. The map should be completely claimed and have recognizable borders by ~1000 AD. Currently the way things work, upwards of half of the map may be unclaimed by 2100. It feels like you are controlling a bunch of city states, when it should feel like a country.
-Overhaul unit movement rates as it relates to roads in your territory. I like the idea of only having one route connecting each city but this makes 1UPT movement annoying. It's especially problematic trying to rally defense across the empire. Change movement rules so that any city connected to your capital by road gives a movement bonus to all units in that city's entire radius.

you haven't played a patched game yet, have you?

1. maritimes are down to +4/+1 food, no bonus at renaissance. of course, some areas in-game say +3/+1, but it's really +4/+1. city placement no longer arbitrary, grassland is much more useful now and dumping a "production city" into a mountainous region with no grass or plains won't be very useful without a LOT of maritimes. I've even started building granaries!
2. I often build 4-5 warriors, train vs barbs, then mass upgrade upon getting iron. great for classical rush, even post-patch. in fact, it's a far more viable strat now with the horseman nerf even without mods.
3. cultural expansion has been increased enormously. I wasn't even going for a strong culture game last night and had all of my developed cities at max cultural expansion by electronics. even some newer cities were out 3 tiles in all directions. (landed elite is your friend, plus angkor wat actually works as it's supposed to now)

Moderator Action: Similar threads merged

The game needs to stop running like absolute crap in DX10 for those of us with an older (but still powerful) graphics card that isn't DX11 compatible.

And wonders need to stop being built in the sea and on rivers.

hi today all over sudden my civ 5 stopped working and the world builder as well, it just give me a an error that the program has stopped working and this the detail ( Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.62
Application Timestamp: 4cc59ecb
Fault Module Name: CvGameDatabaseWin32Final Release.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4cc59a8f
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000351a2
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
)
the other thing is if i want to re-install the game where was the setup file downloaded to ? does anybody know?

- Fix the city mayor's from starving their cities. I hated having to constantly micromanage city tiles in Civ4 to maximize efficiency. Having the "mayor" option in Civ5 was one of the things I liked the most! Just get it to work properly!

- Fix bugs that cause false triggers for on-map events. The most noticeable being "your forces are near our territory." when they are all the way across the world.

The updates to gameplay are excellent, but let's also get rid of the bugs that hamper gameplay altogether! :)

Yeah, the new patch seems to be good with some AI improvements but I'd like to mention one that is still ridiculous:
-In the ancient era, I can move an archer unit 2 tiles from a barbarian camp and fire on the barbs. And they just sit there and take it. They could attack and easily destroy my archer but they just sit there. I suppose you could reason that they have to keep one unit in camp to defend it, but it's kinda silly IMHO.

Other than that, I just played a quite refreshing Age of Exploration Scenario (I think it's called something else) and won playing as Spain.

My wish list to fix Civ5 and make it a worthy successor to Civ4:

-Fix AI combat so that it can actually be threatening. Even on the hardest difficulty it is a joke, worse then 1990's era strategy games.
-Fix AI diplomacy, it is completely schizophrenic and erratic now. This makes having any sort of alliance pointless.
-Balance tile improvements so land has some meaning, right now city placement is entirely arbitrary.
-Balance city buildings so they aren't so useless. Get rid of maintenance. Make multipliers cumulative so that there is a meaningful choice in what line of buildings to get (e.g. production, science, happiness, culture).
-Decrease production costs of everything so you can actually build and use swordsman before you have the technology to build riflemen.

These are "the big ones" in my opinion. If these things could be adjusted, we'd have a solid game.

The patch hasnt really solved anything in my book. The diplomacy is still a total joke. The new patch just makes you more frustrated because now you can see how you are friendly with a civ and in the next turn the civ does just like all the other civs: permanent war. With the present game it would be better just to make you fight one huge civ instead of several totally synchronized ones. And its also impossible to repair any relations with the civs. It doesnt matter how friendly you get. After one civ denounces you the rest follow in a predictable chain of events until you are at war with the entire world again. Arghh! Im so pissed off at this terrible disappointment!

-AI insanity. We don't need to know what insane thing made them mad, we need them not to be insane to begin with.
-The AI going across the continent and plopping a city by you for no intelligent reason.
-Since they're not clear on what "better pathfinding" means, they may or may not still need to fix it so that autoexploring units don't traipse through CS territory.
-Food resources being at best no big deal or at worst worse than a vanilla tile.
-multiplayer
-Will the new patch fix the "everything takes too long to build" problem? If not, that too.
-Has the line of sight bug been fixed where the AI can think you're close to their boarders when you're not even on the same continent? If not, that too.

I'd call those the priorities. Things like bringing back the replay at the end of the game can follow.

Pretty much this for me. The AI's ridiculous city placement next to mine, when there are huge swathes of land totally unsettled near them, and then their subsequent inevitable warning about me building near them, drives me round the bend.

And add some decent diplomatic options with the UN, similar to those in Civ 4.

1. you can tell the ai to not settle cities near you.

Unfortunately in my experience this plain doesn't work - I'm friendly with them, stronger by far militarily, and there's plenty of quality unclaimed land around them which isn't on my borders, and so reasonably I ask them not to build near me. They agree not to and comment about in the future hopefully I can be a better neighbour, then literally a dozen turns later they plonk a city down next to my capital and warn me about expanding into their lands. It's ridiculous this issue still isn't resolved.

Top Bottom