1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AG13 - OCC Demigod

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Aggie, Feb 4, 2005.

1. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

:lol: Those Hitties just wanted to say Hello.

I got it, will play today.

It's sad to see we could only use 2 of the 4 cattles.

2. Greebley

Greebley Chieftain Supporter

Hittite Leader: King Aggie has just come back from a long hiatus so lets give a royal welcome. Take 5 bands of warriors and charge purposefully toward his only city, run around three times and come back. It should scare the pants off him and give us a good laugh.

Hittite General: Oh that sounds fun. Lets go men.

--------------

Looks good so far. I would stay on track with the Colossus.

3. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

preturn: We are running 40% lux. We should have built another MP before starting colossus..

2710BC: We meet Netherlands and trade Masonry+3g for Alphabet.

Now what? Do I abandon our min research on Iron Working and start on Writing? It's a tough call.

I raise sci to 20 to get Iron Working in 26 turns.

2670BC: Sumeria has monopoly on Mysticism! And it agrees to trade with Alphabet!

I dial up Inca to see what he offers for Mysticism. Iron Working? Plus Wheel probably? I add 38g and get both techs. Then sell Mysticism to Persia for 99g.

So we are tech leader? Great.

Min on Writing as that's what we could afford.

I lower food and work on the forests to get Colossus in 10 turns instead of 13, and 3fpt instead of 5. By working on the silks I can lower lux to 30.

We have two sources of horses close to us, one just outside of our border. We have iron close too, but AI will settle on it.

2550BC: I pillage roads which connects 3 Dutch cities just to screw it up a bit. :evil:

2510BC: We connect silks. Huh? Just? But we cannot lower lux.

2470BC: Pillage another Dutch road. It's capital is disconnected. :D

2430BC: Netherlands has Writing but lacks a bunch of techs. Monopoly techs are expensive, but I get it by Iron Working, CB, Wheel and 91g. I then sell Mysticism back and get 104g.

Since I have the gold, I set to Philosophy in 15 turns with a bit deficit.

An Inca conscript warrior enters our territory..

I establish embassy with Inca, size-1, 3spt building Colossus in 47 turns. It's got ivory. Inca knows everyone except Netherlands. Phew, otherwise we'd not be able to buy Writing so easily.

2390BC: Netherlands and Persia has got HBR and no trade possible.

I establish embassy with Hitties, size-1, 3spt building Pyramids in 93 turns. It has furs.

We have 123g with -1gpt so I do not establish more, as I don't go below 100g and let AI demand all gold away causing us to lose buildings or workers.

2310BC: We build Colossus. I start rax. We need two vet spearmen to defend ourselves.

2230BC: Netherlands and Persia are at war!

Persia has no iron, that's good. It's cute to see a bunch of regular warriors and spearmen fighting each other.

Note: Philosophy in 5 turns. We could take CoL then start on Lit at a slow path. We should trade for HBR otherwise AI will demand it anyway.

After the spear we should be able to lower lux to 20. We should start MoM with max shield and should be able to build in about 13 turns. Then go full speed on Great Library by Pyramids.

Attached Files:

4. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain Supporter

We get the key wonder. When playing a limited number of city game a revenue boast is a major plus.

5. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Netherlands/Persia battlefield:

Horses and iron. Somehow I suspect the Hittie town has to go. However, it's there better than Sumeria.

6. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

Wow! A very encouraging start for an OCC. Colossus and close to Philo :) I agree with CoL and min science Lit. We don't want to lose TGL with a tech demand from one of the AI. We need to be at least quite far with a pre-build for that to be allowed to happen. I also agree with MoM and then TGL.

ROSTER (15 turns in peace time, 10 turns when at war):
    Aggie
    microbe -- just played
    ThERat --- up
    Gyathaar -- on deck
    Greebley
    LKendter

7. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

great going so far, I got it and will play tonight

so the plan is to:

- build 2 spears, MoM and GLib?
    - as for research. if the philo gamble pays, go for CoL? I would prefer to get the tech that's most expensive to research at that moment, whichever tech that is.

8. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

The free tech should be one that is quite far for most or all of the AI to research. This is often CoL. IIRC other techs are more populair. OTOH one demand and we lose our monopoly. I personally think it's more important NOT to choose Lit (but go for it min science) than anything else.

EDIT: I agree with the rest of the plan.

9. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

It's Map Making, which AI is almost guaranteed to research first after Writing. I normally choose CoL as it's one step closer to Republic.

I agree with Aggie that which tech isn't important. The key is to time GL right (meaning research Lit in about 30 turns). If AI doesn't come up with techs fast, Philosophy or CoL will get demanded away.

10. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

Pre-turn
    see that we can assign one tile differently making a beaker more for science :lol:
    press enter

IT Dutch ask us to leave

1. 2210BC
    philo now in 3

IT Sumer throw us out

2. 2070BC
    2nd MP allows us to drop lux to 20%

3. 2030BC nada

IT Hittites demand writing, have to cave :(
    Sumer asks us to leave, Persia demands 24g :mad:
    we get philo and CoL as planned. start MoM, go for min run on literature

4. 2010BC
    MM for max shield, get MoM in 12
    trade CoL to Persia for 71g and HBR (want to give us headstart for MoM, don't trade philo yet)
    calculate: MOM in 12 and pyramids in 24, so lit should be around 35, set science to 30% for 36 turns

we are up money and techs, hope it won't get all demanded away

5. 1950BC nth much

6. 1910BC
    our borders expanded and city grows to 10
    MoM in 9, we make 19spt (around 20 turns for GLib)

IT Incan demand HBR, cave :mad:

7. 1870BC
    what's up with the AI, no new techs at all now for 7 turns
    increase science to 40%, lit in 24

8. 1830BC nth

IT Dutch start Oracle

9. 1790BC
    Persia knows MM, but refuses to trade with philo (also monopoly)

10. 1750BC
    our warrior successfully blocks Hittite settler pair to enter, there is a choke in the west

11. 1725BC nth

12. 1700BC MM has been traded
    try to keep our monopoly for now and trade CoL + 60g to Dutch for MM

IT Inca start to build pyramids, hope they need longer

13. 1675BClower science so we get lit in 22
    realise we didn't establish embassies, do that with Sumer, their pyramids in 43 :lol:

14. 1650BC
    Persia learned philo, no more monopoly

IT we get MoM

15. 1625BC
    we make currently 20spt, but will grow in 1, pyramids in 20
    lower lux to 10%, increase science to 40%, so we get lit in 16

I tried to get back our northern warrior, but he kept on getting booted back north.
    the western warrior blocks the choke, we can send 3rd warrior to explore western part

11. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I haven't loaded the save, but I assume AI haven't completed any wonders. It would be good if someone gets Polytheism, so we have a safe fallback to ToA, otherwise, AI might cascade to pyramids before we do (at hindsight, we should probably have gotten Poly as free tech). If we haven't established all embassies, do for the remaining. I did two in my turns and AIs were like 47 turns from Oracle. Check how big those capitals are to see how much faster they might have got. We may just investigate those if not sure.

GL is very important. After GL we can connect horses, start a horse rush and start conquering the world? Raze the two Hittie towns, connect iron, and also build some swords.. Use wars to slow AI down.

12. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

Aggie
    microbe
    ThERat --- just played
    Gyathaar -- up
    Greebley --- on deck
    LKendter

Looks great! Very clever to adjust the time to get Lit to the Pyramid prebuild :)

13. Gyathaar

Gyathaar Warlock Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

Got it.. seems like i am suddenly up in all my SGs, but will take this one first I think since it will be quickest

14. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

BTW, among all the wonder cities, only Cuzco (Inca) is coastal, this means others won't be able to cascade to it. By looking at the map, Cuzco has 8spt. It's probably close to completing Oracle, and I certainly hope so. If it switches to Great Lighthouse we may want to investigate at some point to decide how fast Lit should come.

15. Gyathaar

1625BC, turn 0:
    We still lack embassies with persia and netherlands, so I establish embassies:

Well.. I can immediately see that our pyramid prebuild will expire.. persepolis is size 6, making 10 shields per turn and is 2 turns away from completing pyramids.

Amsterdam is size 3, making 5 shields per turn and building oracle.. 37 turns to go.

I switch Istanbul to Great lighthouse (due in 15 turns) and raise Sci to 50% so literature will be done in 13 turns.

IBT:
    Persia kicks our unit out of their territory

1600BC, turn 1:
    put new citizen from growth on hill that is currently getting mined.
    Have to raise lux to 20%

IBT:
    Persia start Oracle
    Persia complete pyramids
    Summeria start ToA (good timing on researching that for us!)
    Hittites start Oracle
    Dutch start Oracle
    Dutch start Great Lighthouse

1575BC, turn 2:
    Summeria has monopoly on Polytheism. IW and Writing is doubtful to getting Poly.. Summeria also knows incas, so they are sure to trade poly for writing and IW to them..
    So I sell them writing for all their gold (23gold)
    Give Summeria MM,IW and CoL for polytheism (they are now even in techs with incas so they will have nothing to trade for poly)

Switch great lighthouse build to ToA and lower sci to 40% again

IBT:
    nada

1550BC, turn 3:
    Both netherlands and Persia has philosophy now

IBT:
    Persia kicks out exploring warrior again

1525BC, turn 4:
    nothing

IBT:
    nothing

1500BC, turn 5:
    nothing

IBT:
    nothing

1475BC, turn 6:
    worker finish mine.. start road

IBT:
    persia kicks out exploring warrior yet again.. might as well wait till the unclaimed square between persia and dutch are filled before trying to move again

1450BC, turn 7:
    nothing

IBT:
    Incas start great lighthouse
    Incas complete oracle
    Dutch start great lighthouse

1425BC, turn 8:
    incas picked up philosophy

IBT:
    nothing

1400BC, turn 9:
    Hittites picked up MM.

IBT:
    nothing

1375BC, turn 10:
    Worker goes north to hill
    spot horses in hittite territory right past the choke

IBT:
    nothing

1350BC, turn 11:
    worker starts mine
    The nearby hittitie town at the wines gets culture expansion and claims the iron

IBT:
    hittities kick out exploring warrior

1325BC, turn 12:
    nothing

IBT:
    nothing

1300BC, turn 13:
    looks like incas learned philosophy and traded it to Sumeria for polytheism
    I lower sci to 20%, literature in 2 turns

IBT:
    nothing

1275BC, turn 14:
    nothing

IBT:
    nothing

1250BC, turn 15:
    Literature comes in. I switch the prebuild to GLib, due in 4 turns.

Dutch has a worker for sale.. not sure if we are allowed to buy it?
    I set to research on 10% on republic.. this can be switched or turned off

Collossus has just started giving Tourism bonus :)

The save

16. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

They have been at war and may lack workers. Let's just not buy before 1000BC...

I have played demigod games being backward at this stage. Yet we are tech leaders and almost have TGL!

I guess we want to build temple, harbor, library and marketplace soon. Library may not be needed, but adds to the culture.

I like microbe's idea of razing a couple of cities in the not to far future :)

Aggie
    microbe
    ThERat
    Gyathaar -- just played
    Greebley --- up
    LKendter --- on deck

17. Gyathaar

I assume we will want republic btw?

18. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

Republic will be the best government for us. We won't be in constant wars :) But more than min science is wasting money. So: good call on min science :D

19. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

To be safest it'd be nice to get Lit and complete GL at the same turn, since we have ToA as prebuild.

What's our next target? I really like taking out Sumeria, since it's big and its territory can't be easily claimed by others. But they have good UU and we need swordmen, which means we may need to take out the Hittie town first. Or we can create a colony and use the iron before the town gets a temple. We also want to dogpile Sumeria probably.

20. Gyathaar

Yes, I would normally do that.. but in this case it should be safe. Only one civ was building ToA, then rest are building 300 shield wonders