Age od Discovery(world map)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Nexxo, May 17, 2012.

1. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

I figured out how Persia won by Victory Points. There was a fair amount of Tobacco within the city radius of most of the Persian cities. Once they had mining, getting a tobacco plantation in each city would be fairly easy. Viola, a massive amount of treasure being delivered to the capital.

The way to keep the non-Colonial civilizations to build mines/plantations/trapper camps is to put in a building called a Refinery, that needs the resource Colonial Nations to build, which must be built before the mine/plantation/trapper camp. That would restrict the mining benefit to the Colonial Powers.

I think that I have figured out a way to add the Water Trade, without slowing the game up too much and I will do some testing on it. To get the scenario to run faster on my laptop, I am taking out some of the civilizations and their cities. I will see if I can get Civ3 running on one of my faster computers to test my idea for the full scenario. Depending on how the game is loading, I may take out some more of the Barbarian Camps as well, or at least the ones on the shoreline, as they generate Pirate Ships, which add to the CPU load.

2. eric_A

eric_A Deity

Try creating a non-era tech called "Meso-America" or something similar.
    Make that tech a prerequisite for central american wonders and assign that tech
    only to the Aztecs and Maya at the start of the game.

3. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

We may need to do something similar with respect to some of the other Wonders, as having the Chinese build the Sistine Chapel and the Japanese the Copernicus Observatory does seem to be a bit odd. In one test run, the BERBERS were trying to build it. The AI does head right for the Wonders for building.

Still working on my water trade fix, but so far, no CPU stoppages.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo Prince

Yes, that is my plan although I thought to make resource visible only to Mesoamerican civs because I don't want that they can build wonders from beginning.

Also I could make Renaissance resource visible to only European civs for those wonders.

5. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

The Idea of a Renaissance Resource would work very well for the European Wonders, as you could plant that under the capital or one of the cities for the selected powers. In my latest test game, the Berbers built the Sistine Chapel, which really is bizarre. They also traded for Protestantism, which also was strange. I have not checked to see if they changed government type.

As a quick fix to the problem of Persia building mines and collecting Victory Points for treasures, I am using the Mill as the precursor building to the mine/plantation/trapper camp, to keep them restricted to the Colonial Powers alone. You could continue to use that, or develop and add an additional building tied to the proposed Renaissance Resource.

6. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

I figured out why the Colonial Capitol was not being built in the colonies, but only in the homeland. With neither the Harbor nor the Commercial Dock having the "allow water trade" box checked, no resources could be transported across the Sea and Ocean. As the Colonial Capitol requires the Colonial Nations resources, only located under the capitol of the homeland, it was not possible to get that overseas. Therefore, the Colonial Capitol had to be built in a city connected by road to the capitol. While, in theory, you could get a road connection to Africa, in reality, Sub-Sahara Africa is completely cut off from the rest of the World by the Sahara Desert. Also, there is no tech advance which allows for trading over either the Sea or Ocean.

As a fix for this, I have set the Commercial Dock to "allow water trade", with the precursor building being the Harbor, which does not allow water trade. It does not appear so far that the AI is building the Commercial Dock for any of the Colonial nations, so the game is not being slowed to any degree by human-built docks. I set Navigation to "allow trade over sea tiles", and Magnetism to "allow trade over ocean tiles". After I did all of this, the Colonial Resource appears in the strategic resource box for overseas cities, so that the Colonial Capitol can be built where it is supposed to be. Given that you have North and South America, Sub-Sahara Africa, and Australia which can all be colonized, I am trying to decide if you need more than one Colonial Capitol.

To better distinguish between the Colonial Resource and the Pirate Resource, I reset the Pirate Resource from the green rocks of Uranium to the Tropical Bird resource, figuring the Pirates and Parrots go together.

7. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Nexxo, here are my recommendations for the Dutch Fluyt.

It should have an attack value of 3, a defense value of 4, a speed of 6, and a carrying capacity of 4, with no land bombardment capability. Given that the Dutch were some of the finest sea fighters during that period, and to help the Fluyt survive Barbarian attacks, I would also recommend a +2 hit point bonus. It should be made available with Magnetism.

I have also reset the Privateer to require no resources for building, so as to give some form of naval power to locations where the normal requirements are not available.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo Prince

Thank you for your effort. I remove many cities from non playable civs and deleted barbarians settlement. Instead water tread for Colonial Capital I thought to make resource visible by colonial nations and put that resource on America, Africa and Australasia. Also I will make that type of government cannot change.

9. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Do not remove all of the Barbarian settlements. If you reduce them by about 1/2, that should work. I view them are not only representing the actual human resistance by native tribes in the various areas, but also the hazards of simply exploring back then. A fair number of explorers, like John Cabot, the Corte Real brothers, Bartholemew Dias, and others simply vanish at sea, and others disappear on land. Plus, it does slow down the AI expansion. I am going through a large number of explorers in North America, and I have not gotten to either South America, Africa, or Australia as yet.

That works too.

I was thinking that needed to be done, as any change of government type during that period simply is not only not historical, but also would be enormously disruptive. See the history of the French Wars of Religion for example, along with the 30 Years War, and to an extent, the English Civil War.

10. r16

r16 not deity

the Firaxis scenario is one ı return to time after time , would have liked playing this one too . Does it appear possible that after the trimmimg down , my 384MB RAM machine will be able to run it ?

11. Nexxo

Nexxo Prince

It should work because my older PC also have 384MB RAM and I try it on that. All scenarios should work on normal system requirements for Civilization 3. It only depends how much time pass between turn or initial loading of scenario.

Soon I will upload new version because this one have few bugs which are fixed.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo Prince

I just upload improved version which include

Unique ship for Dutch and pre gunpowder galleys.
    Only colonial nations can see resources necessary to win.
    Only Mesoamerican civs can build mesoamerican wonders and improvements.
    No communications trading.

13. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

That sounds good, Nexxo. I am up to 1541AD in my trimmed down game, and the turns are taking a lot of time. I will see how far I can get, but clearly I need a faster CPU for this. I do have Commercial Docks allowing Water Trade, and I have the Dutch with a Colonial Capitol on the Isthmus of Panama, providing the Panama Canal. There is one quirk with that, in that you have to have 8 cities to build that. Also, there seems to be a minimum number of cities required for Shakespeare's Theater, the Military Academy, and Battlefield Medicine as well.

Right now, I would say that in an unmodified game, if you do not give the Dutch some additional boosts, they will have a murderous time trying to win. England is presently in second place, not too far behind. They are clearly in the best position to win, as they are the only colonial country that does not have to worry about a quick invasion by a neighbor.

14. r16

r16 not deity

regarding invasions , how about making Europe totally desert with bonus resources so that no combat can take place in Europe , or maybe giving unmobile defenders so that cities can not be taken but the countryside can be pillaged . In the Firaxis scenario that's something ı always dread , an invasion out of the blue .

15. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

I finally got the French and the Germans to stop wandering through the Netherlands the same way the Dutch historically did, I built the Barrier Line of Fortresses opposite France, and the Water Barrier fortresses against Germany. The border is a solid line of fortresses, each manned by one or two boosted Swiss Mercenaries. That works to keep the irritants out nicely.

There is a reason why France became the leading designer and builder of Fortresses under Sebastian Vauban during the reign of Louis the XIV. Spain has the Pyrenees Mountain protecting virtually its entire border with France, Italy has the Lower Alps as a border with France, Austria has the Alps between it and France, but the Rhine makes a very poor shield against Germany, and vice versa.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo Prince

The period of that era have many wars in Europe like Ottoman invasion, Thirty Years war and many wars between Poland and Russia so the basic goal of this scenario is to build colonies but also protect or expand your own country.

17. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

By 'colonial' you do mean 'playable', right? If not, I think this is a bad decision -
    you should be able to win with any playable nation.

18. Nexxo

Nexxo Prince

Yeah all playable civs are colonials nations and only playable civs can win through transporting treasure and territorial domination. Also non playable civs can win only through domination.

19. Theov

Theov Deity

The scenario only worked after I renamed the folder to "age of discovery" (without the "(world map)" addition.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo Prince

I don't understand why that happened to you because I try many times scenario with age of discovery(world map) folder and it always work.