1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Age od Discovery(world map)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Nexxo, May 17, 2012.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo Prince

Maybe Netherlands can start with few more colonist and ships to make for lack of cities. I was thinking to reduce number of cities present now in europe and asia, and not have to worry that colonial powers just build cities in europe, i thought to make only certain terrain on which cities can be build and there wouldn't be that terrain in europe or asia with exception of areas where should be cities. This would allow me to reduce numbers of cities in europe and asia and would make more cities to be build in new world. What are you think? Also you helped me playtesting before and giving great advices so thank you for your help

2. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Well, I have already set both the Magellan Voyage and Luther's 95 Thesis to produce colonists and have both in the Netherlands, which does help. I have also changed the town and city settings to 12 and 24, and might go higher on the city, just to boost production. The main issue is the number of colonists available. Having the Navigation School produce them is fine, but maybe one more colonists producing Small Wonder, restricted to England, Spain, France, Portugal, and The Netherlands. I have increased terrain yields to go with the increased population of cities, and also added some resources for some cities.

Would you like me to post the most current version of my changes somewhere so that you can look it over? I am also trying to figure out how to set it for multi-player so that I can work with Venice, who was supplying the main opposition to the Ottomans, along wht the Holy Roman Empire, and to an extent Spain, during the 16th century.

By the way, Sweden also established a colony in North America, along the Delaware River, so having Sweden as a potential colonizer would be quite interesting.

3. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

How do you set them up? I've always been interested in city-state civs.

4. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

My apologies for taking so long to get back to you, Takhisis. Part of working with city states is making sure that an individual city can be viable in the game. You can get some ideas of what I do by looking at my Naval Mod when it comes to increasing terrain yields and boosting resources, along with increasing the effects of irrigation and mining. The greatest effect of my changes comes with coastal cities, as there are a number of ways to increase the yield of coastal, sea, and ocean tiles. You can find them in the Naval Mod by going through the various city improvement.

For this specific scenario, I first had to convert Venice into a civilization that could be played by a human player. Now, Venice is not an individual city, but does have some other cities under its control during this period. Then, I needed to determine how to add to Venice the ability to generate colonists to settle open areas to increase its capability compared to the Ottoman Empire, its principal opponent at this time, although France, Spain, the Papal States, and the Holy Roman Empire all played into the mix. Venice was the leading trading power at the time, and maintained the largest Mediterranean navy behind the Ottomans. France generally was an ally of the Ottomans at this time, as Charles the Fifth controlled not only the Spanish holdings in Europe, but was also the Holy Roman Emperor, controlling a large partion of Germany and Austria. Fortunately, the alliance of France with the Ottomans is not reflected in the game.

To make Venice competititve, I gave it several improvement available only to the colonizing nations of England, Holland, Spain, France, and Portugal. Then after looking the units over, I had to add a gold mine to Venetian territory so that they could obtain Swiss Pilemen, one of the better infantry units. I also added some additional resources to help with increasing the population of the cities.

One thing in this scenario that helps enormously is requiring only One Food per city inhabitant rather than two. This makes from growing cities faster, and also makes increasing the maximum city population a much more reasonable thing. I generally go with 12 for a Town, 21 to 25 for a City, with Metropolis starting from there. I got that idea from TEturkhon's Test of Time scenario. If you are looking as single city0state civilizations, I would highly recommend increasing the Town and City populations under General Settings, and also probably changing the food requirement. That makes them much more vialble and also productive, and makes for a more interesting and fun game. Remember though, there changes to have a strong tendency to bite you back.

5. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Don't worry, this is a message board, not a chatroom. What with the ongoing confinement (over a year now for me) I am taking time to answer some things just to keep my sanity.
    That is all very interesting. If I ever do one civ scenario it will be one in which there are several empires with small cities v. city-states which are individually more powerful… this will for now remain a future project, because in confinement I just cannot spend that muuch time immobile and/or in front of a screen anymore. But this still remains a useful insight.

6. reynanuy

reynanuy Chieftain

Hey. Does anyone have a link to the mod? I would love to play it and neither the original link neither the 2019 mediafire link works now :(

7. r16

r16 not deity

takhisis said he would save and have a more durable adress , if ı remember correctly . Blake00 has a lot links and stuff , though my apologies for any mispellings . A few more nice guys who "save" scenarios . If none of the ideas work , but ı will upload them on a free and short term Mediafire link , if it is still possible and in perhaps a month's time due to a health problem of my mother .

8. reynanuy

reynanuy Chieftain

Hey r16. Thanks for the reply. Let's hope a savior shows up then and provides a link! I hope everything goes well with your mother in the meantime. Godspeed!

9. r16

r16 not deity

thanks for the goodwish .

10. Fortis1

Fortis1 Prince

11. r16

r16 not deity

nice .

12. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

I have all of the data for the mod as well, if it is required to upload it. I have not changed the original World Map, nor added any additional graphics. Any changes I have made have been listed separately.

13. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Is this a –to quote r16– ‘more durable address’?

14. Fortis1

Fortis1 Prince

Nope, but it will keep it up for a while. Better than nothing, I suppose.

15. reynanuy

reynanuy Chieftain

Thank you very much Fortis1!

A more durable address I think would be for the mod to have it's own ModDB page. I wish there was a Steam Workshop for CIV3 ...

16. r16

r16 not deity

you should find Blake00 (?) guy , he collects as many scenarios possible , ı think he was also given higher limits on upload size to attach to the CFC . He will add it , if he hasn't already .

17. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

This is a file containing the original gr of Discovery (World Map) scenario and map. It also ahs some of the .biq filles for the scenario that I have worked up. The original map loads very slowly because of all of the countries and roads connecting them. I have reduced the number of countries and cut down on the number of roads that the computer tries to connect for trade routes. I have also taken out the Bantu Tribes as not really being a factor in the world at the time. There are a couple of biq files allowing you to play Sweden, which did put colonies in the New World near the Delaware River, and alos Venice, if you want to have some fun fighting the Ottomans, as is historically accurate. I have boosted terrain and some resource yields, making for better and larger cities. My scenarios are all biased to the Dutch, as I am of a Dutch background, and the Dutch built a sea-borne empire during thid period. Any comments are appreciated.

Attached Files:

18. Chalito

Chalito Chieftain

Can you describe the difference between the bow files? There are a lot of them and not sure which one to pick

19. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

The original map for the scenario is labeled "Age of Discovery(World Map)". That has all of the original countires in the game. My experience is that it laods very slowly and runs very slowly due tp thecomputer continually regenerating all of the possible trade routes. The other files are changes thatI have made to the game.