Age od Discovery(world map)

I have been working on the mod this afternoon, playing around with some of the Wonders and units, along with getting more colonists generated. The Netherlands is quite handicapped by having only three cities to work from, and given my Dutch background, i have been working on that. I have all of the files and the original map, as well as the map. I made sure that I kept the originals untouched. I have been beefing up Venice a bit so as to allow that city or reatain its islands in the Eastern Med.

Maybe Netherlands can start with few more colonist and ships to make for lack of cities. I was thinking to reduce number of cities present now in europe and asia, and not have to worry that colonial powers just build cities in europe, i thought to make only certain terrain on which cities can be build and there wouldn't be that terrain in europe or asia with exception of areas where should be cities. This would allow me to reduce numbers of cities in europe and asia and would make more cities to be build in new world. What are you think? Also you helped me playtesting before and giving great advices so thank you for your help

Maybe Netherlands can start with few more colonist and ships to make for lack of cities. I was thinking to reduce number of cities present now in europe and asia, and not have to worry that colonial powers just build cities in europe, i thought to make only certain terrain on which cities can be build and there wouldn't be that terrain in europe or asia with exception of areas where should be cities. This would allow me to reduce numbers of cities in europe and asia and would make more cities to be build in new world. What are you think? Also you helped me playtesting before and giving great advices so thank you for your help

Well, I have already set both the Magellan Voyage and Luther's 95 Thesis to produce colonists and have both in the Netherlands, which does help. I have also changed the town and city settings to 12 and 24, and might go higher on the city, just to boost production. The main issue is the number of colonists available. Having the Navigation School produce them is fine, but maybe one more colonists producing Small Wonder, restricted to England, Spain, France, Portugal, and The Netherlands. I have increased terrain yields to go with the increased population of cities, and also added some resources for some cities.

Would you like me to post the most current version of my changes somewhere so that you can look it over? I am also trying to figure out how to set it for multi-player so that I can work with Venice, who was supplying the main opposition to the Ottomans, along wht the Holy Roman Empire, and to an extent Spain, during the 16th century.

By the way, Sweden also established a colony in North America, along the Delaware River, so having Sweden as a potential colonizer would be quite interesting.

I have been working on the mod this afternoon, playing around with some of the Wonders and units, along with getting more colonists generated. The Netherlands is quite handicapped by having only three cities to work from, and given my Dutch background, i have been working on that. I have all of the files and the original map, as well as the map. I made sure that I kept the originals untouched. I have been beefing up Venice a bit so as to allow that city or reatain its islands in the Eastern Med.
How do you set them up? I've always been interested in city-state civs.

How do you set them up? I've always been interested in city-state civs.

My apologies for taking so long to get back to you, Takhisis. Part of working with city states is making sure that an individual city can be viable in the game. You can get some ideas of what I do by looking at my Naval Mod when it comes to increasing terrain yields and boosting resources, along with increasing the effects of irrigation and mining. The greatest effect of my changes comes with coastal cities, as there are a number of ways to increase the yield of coastal, sea, and ocean tiles. You can find them in the Naval Mod by going through the various city improvement.

For this specific scenario, I first had to convert Venice into a civilization that could be played by a human player. Now, Venice is not an individual city, but does have some other cities under its control during this period. Then, I needed to determine how to add to Venice the ability to generate colonists to settle open areas to increase its capability compared to the Ottoman Empire, its principal opponent at this time, although France, Spain, the Papal States, and the Holy Roman Empire all played into the mix. Venice was the leading trading power at the time, and maintained the largest Mediterranean navy behind the Ottomans. France generally was an ally of the Ottomans at this time, as Charles the Fifth controlled not only the Spanish holdings in Europe, but was also the Holy Roman Emperor, controlling a large partion of Germany and Austria. Fortunately, the alliance of France with the Ottomans is not reflected in the game.

To make Venice competititve, I gave it several improvement available only to the colonizing nations of England, Holland, Spain, France, and Portugal. Then after looking the units over, I had to add a gold mine to Venetian territory so that they could obtain Swiss Pilemen, one of the better infantry units. I also added some additional resources to help with increasing the population of the cities.

One thing in this scenario that helps enormously is requiring only One Food per city inhabitant rather than two. This makes from growing cities faster, and also makes increasing the maximum city population a much more reasonable thing. I generally go with 12 for a Town, 21 to 25 for a City, with Metropolis starting from there. I got that idea from TEturkhon's Test of Time scenario. If you are looking as single city0state civilizations, I would highly recommend increasing the Town and City populations under General Settings, and also probably changing the food requirement. That makes them much more vialble and also productive, and makes for a more interesting and fun game. Remember though, there changes to have a strong tendency to bite you back.

My apologies for taking so long to get back to you, Takhisis.
Don't worry, this is a message board, not a chatroom. What with the ongoing confinement (over a year now for me) I am taking time to answer some things just to keep my sanity.
timerover51 said:
Part of working with city states is making sure that an individual city can be viable in the game. You can get some ideas of what I do by looking at my Naval Mod when it comes to increasing terrain yields and boosting resources, along with increasing the effects of irrigation and mining. The greatest effect of my changes comes with coastal cities, as there are a number of ways to increase the yield of coastal, sea, and ocean tiles. You can find them in the Naval Mod by going through the various city improvement.

For this specific scenario, I first had to convert Venice into a civilization that could be played by a human player. Now, Venice is not an individual city, but does have some other cities under its control during this period. Then, I needed to determine how to add to Venice the ability to generate colonists to settle open areas to increase its capability compared to the Ottoman Empire, its principal opponent at this time, although France, Spain, the Papal States, and the Holy Roman Empire all played into the mix. Venice was the leading trading power at the time, and maintained the largest Mediterranean navy behind the Ottomans. France generally was an ally of the Ottomans at this time, as Charles the Fifth controlled not only the Spanish holdings in Europe, but was also the Holy Roman Emperor, controlling a large partion of Germany and Austria. Fortunately, the alliance of France with the Ottomans is not reflected in the game.

To make Venice competititve, I gave it several improvement available only to the colonizing nations of England, Holland, Spain, France, and Portugal. Then after looking the units over, I had to add a gold mine to Venetian territory so that they could obtain Swiss Pilemen, one of the better infantry units. I also added some additional resources to help with increasing the population of the cities.

One thing in this scenario that helps enormously is requiring only One Food per city inhabitant rather than two. This makes from growing cities faster, and also makes increasing the maximum city population a much more reasonable thing. I generally go with 12 for a Town, 21 to 25 for a City, with Metropolis starting from there. I got that idea from TEturkhon's Test of Time scenario. If you are looking as single city0state civilizations, I would highly recommend increasing the Town and City populations under General Settings, and also probably changing the food requirement. That makes them much more vialble and also productive, and makes for a more interesting and fun game. Remember though, there changes to have a strong tendency to bite you back.
That is all very interesting. If I ever do one civ scenario it will be one in which there are several empires with small cities v. city-states which are individually more powerful… this will for now remain a future project, because in confinement I just cannot spend that muuch time immobile and/or in front of a screen anymore. But this still remains a useful insight.

Hey. Does anyone have a link to the mod? I would love to play it and neither the original link neither the 2019 mediafire link works now :(

takhisis said he would save and have a more durable adress , if ı remember correctly . Blake00 has a lot links and stuff , though my apologies for any mispellings . A few more nice guys who "save" scenarios . If none of the ideas work , but ı will upload them on a free and short term Mediafire link , if it is still possible and in perhaps a month's time due to a health problem of my mother .

takhisis said he would save and have a more durable adress , if ı remember correctly . Blake00 has a lot links and stuff , though my apologies for any mispellings . A few more nice guys who "save" scenarios . If none of the ideas work , but ı will upload them on a free and short term Mediafire link , if it is still possible and in perhaps a month's time due to a health problem of my mother .

Hey r16. Thanks for the reply. Let's hope a savior shows up then and provides a link! I hope everything goes well with your mother in the meantime. Godspeed!

thanks for the goodwish .

nice .

I have all of the data for the mod as well, if it is required to upload it. I have not changed the original World Map, nor added any additional graphics. Any changes I have made have been listed separately.

you should find Blake00 (?) guy , he collects as many scenarios possible , ı think he was also given higher limits on upload size to attach to the CFC . He will add it , if he hasn't already .

This is a file containing the original gr of Discovery (World Map) scenario and map. It also has some of the .biq filles for the scenario that I have worked up. The original map loads very slowly because of all of the countries and roads connecting them. I have reduced the number of countries and cut down on the number of roads that the computer tries to connect for trade routes. I have also taken out the Bantu Tribes as not really being a factor in the world at the time. There are a couple of biq files allowing you to play Sweden, which did put colonies in the New World near the Delaware River, and also Venice, if you want to have some fun fighting the Ottomans, as is historically accurate. I have boosted terrain and some resource yields, making for better and larger cities. My scenarios are all biased to the Dutch, as I am of a Dutch background, and the Dutch built a sea-borne empire during thid period. Any comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• A of D(World Map)T51.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Can you describe the difference between the bow files? There are a lot of them and not sure which one to pick

Can you describe the difference between the bow files? There are a lot of them and not sure which one to pick

The original map for the scenario is labeled "Age of Discovery(World Map)". That has all of the original countires in the game. My experience is that it loads very slowly and runs very slowly due to the computer continually regenerating all of the possible trade routes. The other files are changes thatI have made to the game.

Last edited:
you should find Blake00 (?) guy , he collects as many scenarios possible , ı think he was also given higher limits on upload size to attach to the CFC . He will add it , if he hasn't already .
Should have @ tagged me heh. Oh well I got here eventually thanks to Quintilius's missing mod audit I'm helping him with. Awesome to find another Colonization themed scenario as I thought I'd already found them all for my scenario cataloging & rescue project. Using the Atomic backup trick I've obtained the original files for @Nexxo 's Age of Discovery (World Map) scenario and compared it to Fortis's copy and they appear to be a match. :)

I've tested it with my disc install of Civ3 (steam install users will need to modify label files) and it worked! Looks cool!

I've applied the Dutch unit bug fix, repacked with 7zip (down to 65MB from the old 80MB zip file) and uploaded a copy of the mod to CivFanatics servers to preserve his work. As part of the dead mod link rescue/replacement project I'm working on with Quintilius I've edited the original thread post's download link for this mod to link to here instead of the long gone one.
https://www.civfanatics.com/users/downloads/civ3/AgeOfDiscovery(WorldMap).7z

Man that's a big map!
1659723056220.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom